Be carefull what you wish for?

Dawn

Ive thought about this on a few occasions. We know that magick/spells are propelled by our will, through the power of thought and visualisation. Now say that we are pissed off at something, someone or the situation that we have found ourselves in and we wish/visualise the outcome as we want it at that point, the negative outcomes for want of a better word.

When the pissed off feeling has passed and we dont feel as we did, negative thoughts, wishing bad shit on people, maybe even on yourself, how do we know that thoes powerful thoughts, thoes driven wishes are cancelled out? Are they cancelled out or just left hanging there still targeting the person on even yourself if you intended them that way.

Im feeling that this is coming out all jumbled and im hoping that i am making sense.

I dont know myself how i feel about whether they are left in the balance or not. What do you think?

D xxx

Interesting! I have often thought of this myself and am not quite clear on the answer. There are some that feel that whatever you say is put out to the universe, but if it's just angry thoughts without intention? Not to sure, but I doubt it. If this were the case, people would be dropping like flys all around us!!

So I think there has to be some focused intent, but then you have to consider thought forms which can be quite strong also and I believe those can be put forward from those that don't even practice magic. So possibly it comes down to the level of emotion and how intensly felt those emotions are. If that makes any sense....

If it's just angry thoughts without intention? Not to sure, but I doubt it. If this were the case, people would be dropping like flys all around us!!

I agree! If it was just angry thoughts and wishes, I'd be considered a mass murderer! On the other hand, I caused people ill in my childhood without knowing what I was doing - although I was very pleased at the outcomes, mind you. I think it all has to do with focus. When I started thinking about what I did as a kid (and figured out that it was magic), I realized that I had focused very intently on wishing a particular someone would suffer some harm of some kind. It wasn't just a "they hurt me and I hope they break their leg". It was sitting on my bed for awhile, thinking and visualizing the entire time about them getting hurt.

I don't think just being pissed off at someone for a particular something does it (unless you're a lot more powerful than I). To put a phrase in a different context, it takes "pinpoint accuracy".

Ive thought about this on a few occasions. We know that magick/spells are propelled by our will, through the power of thought and visualisation. Now say that we are pissed off at something, someone or the situation that we have found ourselves in and we wish/visualise the outcome as we want it at that point, the negative outcomes for want of a better word.

When the pissed off feeling has passed and we dont feel as we did, negative thoughts, wishing bad shit on people, maybe even on yourself, how do we know that thoes powerful thoughts, thoes driven wishes are cancelled out? Are they cancelled out or just left hanging there still targeting the person on even yourself if you intended them that way.

Im feeling that this is coming out all jumbled and im hoping that i am making sense.

I dont know myself how i feel about whether they are left in the balance or not. What do you think?

D xxx

Personally I don't think they are cancelled out unless you do something to cancel them out.

This is exactly why one must take responsbility for their actions -and sometimes thoughts- (though feelings cannot be controlled as much, that's why they're feelings!) and not just curse left and right, willy-nilly, unless of course you're a sociopath. Whether it's magic or mundane means, doesn't matter, if you love to hurt people or feel that everyone has wronged you, somethings not right in your world, lol.

As to whether mere thoughts are going to have an external effect on the target, I'd say that simply depends on your power and evolution as a witch.

The more powerful you are, the less you need acountrements like candles, personal effects, sigils, herbs, special time of day, moon phase, etc.. so a truly advanced or gifted witch will have a will that alone is a force to reckoned with in it's own right.

I would think that for most of us, though, damage from mere thought alone wouldn't be too severe, but there might still be a lingering effect unless you consciously seek to rein it back in and undo that negativity.

My two cents:

Propelled by our will yes, but strengthened by our focus. Usually being annoyed or upset to the point you are speaking of, would result in a loss of focus. Spells are powered by will, but focused will. Will with intention. Thoughts with meaning, vision with purpose. I have met few witches that in the middle of an emotional breakdown could affect things within the house, area, or region.

This could be possible, but it would mainly be an assault of angry energy. Of negative thoughts. Witchcraft is designed to prevent such misunderstandings from taking a truly bad form. Ever stay really pissed off for long while measuring out ingredients? While focusing on the number of incantations needed? While preparing what you need? Chances are you either get pissed more and forget it, or calm down and wonder why you doing whatever it is you are doing.

Balance is essential in the craft. Not only a balance of energy, but a balance of emotions as well. A balance in diet, a balance in activities all could affect your craft.

Truly cursing someone, takes several key ingredients, several preparations. All of which are hard to do when angry. Granted you could use your anger to fuel the energy of the spell, but best to be a cold anger, and not hot. Revenge is a dish best served cold they always say. It is said that way, so your anger is cold, and your thoughts clear.

Anyways, just my two cents....

Propelled by our will yes, but strengthened by our focus. Usually being annoyed or upset to the point you are speaking of, would result in a loss of focus. Spells are powered by will, but focused will. Will with intention. Thoughts with meaning, vision with purpose.

Ditto.

I am by no means an expert on spell casting (yet...) but my gut feeling is that anger is like waving your fists around aimlessly ? with luck you might hit something, should the unfortunate thing's course happen to collide with your fists, but it's unlikely. You only manage to actually punch something when you concentrate and aim.

Metaphors. Don't we all just love 'em.

Kay - I went ut tonight so I'm a little pissed as I type this (pissed as in tipsey, not as in angry) but, Thoughts are Things. But thoughts are also fantasy. And I think fantasy is extremely helpful in getting to your real feelings. When someone angers me, I will fantasize the repercussions and the outcome, and often I find that is enough - just knowing what I can do is enought that I don't need to do it. And we all know I'm the resident fluffy on this forum, but curses never effect only the intended. No one lives in a vacuum. And often the anger I feel at someone is more in MY part of the play than in theirs - most people do something because we LET them do it. There's a lesson t be learned in that. And fr me often the lesson learned is far greater than the revenge if I am woman enough to accept it. And I'm so tipsey I can't even type, lol (but it was worth it ;-)

M

Kay - . . . curses never effect only the intended. No one lives in a vacuum. And often the anger I feel at someone is more in MY part of the play than in theirs - most people do something because we LET them do it. There's a lesson t be learned in that. And fr me often the lesson learned is far greater than the revenge if I am woman enough to accept it. And I'm so tipsey I can't even type, lol (but it was worth it ;-) M

Michele is on to something here. I'm convinced that my mother's husband is cursed. Unfortunately, my mother suffers, as a result. Accepting that the decision to suffer is hers is my lesson.

Jevne

I think the old "thoughts are things" adage is true. Besides most of the time when I am angry it is at myself. Rarely do we just "attract" trouble innocently. You can draw it easily though. Regular protection helps, I personally don't like to use that intense anger vibe very often.

I think that when you're just thinking something in passing, I don't think it has quite the spark needed to get a fire started, unless there's tons of other people throwing sparks too, but then the person probably deserves what they get. I think when our thoughts actually do accumulate to something, it's because we dwelt on it or we really have nothing but malicious intent for the individual. Thinking bad things can bring them about, but I think there needs to be something more behind it then just the thought there needs to be something in your heart/will that empowers it and when you keep thinking about something, you at first manifest an emotion in yourself about it and then it goes on from there.

I really am, but it is my choice. I have seen what it does to a life, and to the lives surrounding a person. And also what it does to the curser - for to call up that much hatred can be a horrible and devistating thing - it is to re-live events one may never again want to remember. Yeah you send that hatred off, but you fill yourself with it first, and when you send it you are left empty if you are not well prepared to fill yourself with something else. And we may all say that we would have no problem maiming or causing harm, but talk is cheap. If you couldn't stand with a gun at someone's head and watch the terror in their eyes when you pull the trigger, then don't fuck with cursing. If you can't stand in a war zone watching people die and call for their mother and not feel empathy for them, then walk away.

And in my personal beliefs, if you curse for another besides yourself you may be interferring with the consciousness of the person you are attempting to help. We are all going through whatever we are accepting into our lives for a reason and to rescue someone makes them a perpetual victim. Yeah someone annoys me and I may fantasize about bopping them, but that is usually enough. I or mine would have to be in true mortal danger for me to curse another human. Neg activity I will fight, but that is another matter to me becuase the activity is on the witches' knowledge level.

M

• 3 years later...

I agree! If it was just angry thoughts and wishes, I'd be considered a mass murderer! . . .

I don't think just being pissed off at someone for a particular something does it (unless you're a lot more powerful than I). To put a phrase in a different context, it takes "pinpoint accuracy".

. . .

As to whether mere thoughts are going to have an external effect on the target, I'd say that simply depends on your power and evolution as a witch . . . so a truly advanced or gifted witch will have a will that alone is a force to reckoned with in it's own right.

I would think that for most of us, though, damage from mere thought alone wouldn't be too severe, but there might still be a lingering effect unless you consciously seek to rein it back in and undo that negativity.

I often repeat this phrase . . . be careful what you wish for . . . to myself, as I have an admittedly insatiable appetite for power, which has gotten me into a little bit of trouble in the past.  Ok, in the current . . .  ;)  Anyway, came across this thread, found it interesting, curious, bumped it up.

I do believe that "if wishes were horses beggars would ride" but I also believe that most people act on wishes and usually don't realize it. This takes wishes out of the "just wishing" realm.

You're lonely, you think "I wish I had a boyfriend". You go out with some friends.... there;s a cute guy across the bar. You stare at him and wish he'd talk to you... he looks up and sees you're staring so you smile and look back down. Now you've acted on your wish, and you've caught his eye. And he comes over to talk.

You hate your boss. You ruminate on this the whole drive home from work. You wish she'd go jump off a cliff. You park and there's a snail in the drive, and you stomp on it and, wishing it was her nasty ass you were stomping on, you focus on it being her under your foot... you've just acted on the wish.  Yes, there's no delivery, but it's not far off from becoming one depending on how much of that wish you pulled in and sent out.

I think wishes often are set in motion (both magically and mundanely) but not realized they're set in motion... Wishing is the desire, and acting manifests the desire.

M

Archived