Spiders

Guest Magdalena

Guest Magdalena

I was laying in my bed this morning staring up at the ceiling when I thought I saw a small spider, on looking a bit closer I saw it was not.

It got me thinking and made me realise there has been no spiders or even new cobwebs in my home for a long time, it must be at least a year or so.

Any ideas why that would be anyone? I thought all homes had Spiders.

Anita:D

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Mornin' Anita,

I thought most homes had spiders also, mine does ! Spiders don't alarm me at all, growing up in West Texas we would put our shoes up in the closets at night, so tarantula's and scorpions wouldn't make them their sleeping quarters for the night. Also, I grew up with a " omen " that if you kill a spider in your house, it brought bad luck. I find spiders facinating. I have 2 Tarot decks, one is an Animal tarot the other is Druid. The animal Tarot references the spider as a Major card, the 2nd card High Priestess. :wave:

Guest Magdalena

I don't know where my house spiders are GG. but they moved out long ago and there is no sign of them lol. I have no flying things or anything else either, which is odd, because there is nothing but fields right at the back of where I live, out in the distance to those fields are `Caerphilly Mountains`

Anita :0)

Well daaahm Anita, we need to find you some "house spiders". That is odd that you don't have them, and odder yet that they don't choose to dwell at your house. Since you're a rural gal like myself, one would think that you'd be battling all sorts of unwelcomed guests of the inscet world. I lothe centipedes, they give me the heebie-jeebies.

Guest Magdalena

I used to have all sorts flying in my windows, and big spiders would always cross my floor without a care in the world, I even had a cheeky mouse that would visit. Very strange. I live about 20 minutes from the city centre, I am lucky to have the fields behind me and a beautiful view of the mountains, the land behind me is marshland so they cannot build on it, of which I am glad.

Well Anita, it seems as if you live in a balance of nature and city. Do you hear frogs or toads at night from the marsh ? I've been told if you have amphibian life around you. Frogs, toads, snake ie. you have a great eco-system. It still puzzles me though as to why your home is " critter " free.

Guest Magdalena
Well Anita, it seems as if you live in a balance of nature and city. Do you hear frogs or toads at night from the marsh ?

I hear all sorts here, bird watchers would love it, there are some really unusual brirds in the trees at times. The ground is pretty solid in the dry weather, just the border around is marshy, but there is a river running through also that comes from the sea, from the foreshore, when I walk along the river path I can smell the sea. The trees look beautiful at the moment, they are full of pink blossoms.

WOW. I LOVE BUGS! I've got spiders everywhere. The whole outside of my home is a spider hang out. I even have a spider tattoo...

How warm is it where you are?

Feilds by your house? Anyone spray man-made synthetic chemicals lately? (although, you did say that you hear birds. birds would indicate insects are there. BUT! Do you hear frogs? Frogs are indicator species. They indicate when something is wrong. When something is amiss in the enviroment, their numbers drops like makd because they have permeable skins that soak up toxins.) Also, is moss and lichen growing in your area? For example, trees that have lichen on them are a good sign that there isnt much acid rain. However, if there are no lichen, that is a bad sign.

Turn your porch lights on tonight. See how many bugs come, and if after a few nights, spiders follow. Ask you neighbors if they have spiders in their house.

Do you have a basement or a crawl space? Losts of crawl spaces have spiders. Maybe they are hanging out down there.

On a dew filled morning, go check the trees, shrubs, grasses, rocks, by your house. Can you find any dew filled webs hanging around. That would be an excellent sign, but still... why are they outside and not in your home?

Do you use ALOT of essential oils? For example, ants HATE peppermint E.O. Makes them leave.

I could talk about this all day........

I'm no fan of bugs, but spiders do not bother me in the least. I just saw one last night, I just let him wander off.

Other times, I'll try to capture a spider in a little dixie cup, and take the fella outside.

But if you have no spiders in your house, then, according to Harry Potter, you must have a Basilisk on the loose! lol :eheheh:

(should I duck before someone throws something at me?)

Guest Magdalena
WOW. I LOVE BUGS! I've got spiders everywhere. The whole outside of my home is a spider hang out. I even have a spider tattoo...

How warm is it where you are?

Feilds by your house? Anyone spray man-made synthetic chemicals lately? (although, you did say that you hear birds. birds would indicate insects are there. BUT! Do you hear frogs? Frogs are indicator species. They indicate when something is wrong. When something is amiss in the enviroment, their numbers drops like makd because they have permeable skins that soak up toxins.) Also, is moss and lichen growing in your area? For example, trees that have lichen on them are a good sign that there isnt much acid rain. However, if there are no lichen, that is a bad sign.

Turn your porch lights on tonight. See how many bugs come, and if after a few nights, spiders follow. Ask you neighbors if they have spiders in their house.

Do you have a basement or a crawl space? Losts of crawl spaces have spiders. Maybe they are hanging out down there.

On a dew filled morning, go check the trees, shrubs, grasses, rocks, by your house. Can you find any dew filled webs hanging around. That would be an excellent sign, but still... why are they outside and not in your home?

Do you use ALOT of essential oils? For example, ants HATE peppermint E.O. Makes them leave.

I could talk about this all day........

No lichen on the trees and I have not really listened out for frogs. The marshfield is down on lower ground, the blossom trees are on higher ground, there are garages underneath my home, that is where the huge spiders always were, I will have to get my son to take a look, ermmm I don't like big spiders lol, they make me shudder lol. As far as chemicals go, not that I know of. I have been here 13 years and nothing has changed that I know of.

Guest Magdalena
I'm no fan of bugs, but spiders do not bother me in the least. I just saw one last night, I just let him wander off.

Other times, I'll try to capture a spider in a little dixie cup, and take the fella outside.

But if you have no spiders in your house, then, according to Harry Potter, you must have a Basilisk on the loose! lol :eheheh:

(should I duck before someone throws something at me?)

You didn't duck quick enough Grym. Did you feel that? lmao ;0)

Anita

Guest Magdalena
Do you have one of those sonic rodent deterrents plugged in? They also keep out many insects, including spiders.

I don't Tana, maybe the insects know something I don't lol.

I wondered the same thing to about the sonic plug in thing that Tana spoke of.

I say this as being a former airline person, and don't ask me why the airlines chooses to build airports around bodies of water.... BUT... I know of airports that have marshes and the like, ponds, lakes.. and the Agriculture Departments put sonic gizmo's out there, so that planes are safe from bird strikes and the like. Up here in Minnesota in Lake Country, alot of folks have these small gadjets mounted on their vehicles, to alert deer, so they are not struck by cars. It's soundless to us humans, but I'm told it works wonders on kamakazi deer and their wiley ways.

Regards,

GG

You didn't duck quick enough Grym. Did you feel that? lmao ;0)

Anita

GRrrrruuuughh... *right in the boys!* .. wheeezee...

I dunno about those electronic sonic things for bugs. They make work on deer and birds, but the so-called mosquito repellent things don't so diddly.

This may be an odd question but do you have any bowls of conkers, or just conkers in general as decorations anywhere in the house? Spiders HATE the smell of conkers so if you do have any as a decorative element that may be why they've buggered orf :)

Guest Magdalena

I dunno about those electronic sonic things for bugs. They make work on deer and birds, but the so-called mosquito repellent things don't so diddly.

Bulls eye!! lmao ;0)

Okais....... help the Yank out here....... what in the hell is a " conker " ?

I damn near spewed my coffee... LMAO

Regards,

GG

Guest Magdalena
This may be an odd question but do you have any bowls of conkers, or just conkers in general as decorations anywhere in the house? Spiders HATE the smell of conkers so if you do have any as a decorative element that may be why they've buggered orf :)

Brandon used to collect conkers and acorns, I will have to check if he has any hidden in hid bedroom.

Guest Magdalena
Okais....... help the Yank out here....... what in the hell is a " conker " ?

I damn near spewed my coffee... LMAO

Regards,

GG

They grow on trees and the kids thread laces through them and play conkers (tut tut GG) Lmao

Conkers is a traditional kids street and playground game.

The horse chestnut is threaded onto a string.

One child holds the conker steady while the other swings theirs to smash into it.

The object is to destroy the other conker.

The game is scored by the number of conkers you destroy, but you add their score to yours.

So if you had destroyed 6 new players with no scores themselves yours would be a sixer.

Then if you destroyed another sixer yours becomes a twelver and so on.

The higher scoring conkers would attract a serious game set up with many spectators.

To cheat at the game, some kids soaked their conkers in vinegar and some even hollowed them out and filled them with solder.

There are variations to the game as I described it, but this is how we played it in my village!

Well, have your son take a look, in both the garages, and make sure to listen for the frogs... also double check the lichens on the trees for me too... Circle the whole tree, because sometimes there will be less/no lichen on the side of a tree nearest the road, but on the other side there may be.

That was terrible humor! I love it!

Many thanks, regarding what a " conker " is. I feel illuminated now. I just had this intense visual of some morbid creature lurking in Anita's corners with a weapon, declaring war on the lowly spider. Feel free to laugh, its good for the soul:D

Regards,

GG

Archived