149 replies to this topic

#141 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:26 AM

This is like discussing politics at a dinner party during an election, only more personal. How people experience God / Energy is something they cannot be talked out of by using someone's logic or experience.

Personally, I find it interesting that the more we learn about the cosmos, the more god-like and magical it becomes :) 

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#142 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:29 AM

Good point, Nikki. Spiritualism is indeed a personal journey, and an intricate part of many people's development.

RSKHFMY

#143 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:53 AM

Ravenshaw - I agree with what you wrote.  I did not mean to say those things can never be understood, but just that we dont understand them fully yet.  I especially think that we do not understand ourselves as well as many of us think we do.  Just saying that I would expect an infinite spiritual force that drives the entire universe to be even harder to understand then all the other things we find difficult.  We only know and see a small part of our universe - not only the physical universe, but mental and spiritual universes too.  If we only know and see a fraction of the physical universe, then how much do we really see and know of God/Spirit/Whatever you want to call it?

#144 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:20 AM

^ If we only know and see a fraction of the physical universe, then how much do we really see and know of God/Spirit/Whatever you want to call it?

So collectively true.

^ Just saying that I would expect an infinite spiritual force that drives the entire universe to be even harder to understand then all the other things we find difficult. 

I also find other people's (Witch or otherwise) idea of God/Deity/Energy painfully narrow; dictatorial sometimes, too. At worst -- dogmatic.   

- Pablo Neruda

#145 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:03 AM

I also find other people's (Witch or otherwise) idea of God/Deity/Energy painfully narrow; dictatorial sometimes, too. At worst -- dogmatic.   

I agree entirely with this as do I suspect most dinner party hosts...

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#146 Raineylane

Raineylane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

Ravenshaw - I agree with what you wrote.  I did not mean to say those things can never be understood, but just that we dont understand them fully yet.  I especially think that we do not understand ourselves as well as many of us think we do.  Just saying that I would expect an infinite spiritual force that drives the entire universe to be even harder to understand then all the other things we find difficult.  We only know and see a small part of our universe - not only the physical universe, but mental and spiritual universes too.  If we only know and see a fraction of the physical universe, then how much do we really see and know of God/Spirit/Whatever you want to call it?

This is so true.  If we only knew how little we know.  I don't think our brains are equipped to understand but just so much, to avoid overload.  I think this is why we feel and connect with the universal power in a spiritual way rather than an intellectual one.

#147 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:14 PM

This is so true.  If we only knew how little we know.  I don't think our brains are equipped to understand but just so much, to avoid overload.  I think this is why we feel and connect with the universal power in a spiritual way rather than an intellectual one.

My sense of spirituality comes come concrete knowledge about the world around me. I think witchcraft begins with a good intuition of the world around us, and involves a trial and error process. In many ways, I view it like I view science. I do believe there are plenty of currently misunderstood forces within the universe which witchcraft taps into that science has yet to tap. However, I do feel even witchcraft has a higher, more concrete understanding to it. I also think a lot of it has to do with personal will. I do not believe the forces which drive witchcraft are celestial, ethereal, or intangible, but are merely regarded as such due to lack of understanding, much as birth, disease, and death once were. 

RSKHFMY

#148 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

My sense of spirituality comes come concrete knowledge about the world around me. I think witchcraft begins with a good intuition of the world around us, and involves a trial and error process. In many ways, I view it like I view science. I do believe there are plenty of currently misunderstood forces within the universe which witchcraft taps into that science has yet to tap. However, I do feel even witchcraft has a higher, more concrete understanding to it. I also think a lot of it has to do with personal will. I do not believe the forces which drive witchcraft are celestial, ethereal, or intangible, but are merely regarded as such due to lack of understanding, much as birth, disease, and death once were. 

Forgive me if I'm dense on this, Ravenshaw... I'm trying to understand: Are you saying that Witchcraft is a science? or are you comparing it TO science ? (or both?)

- Pablo Neruda

#149 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

Sort of both, I think it experiments in many ways that science does.

RSKHFMY

#150 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:00 PM

You know, I had originally written a different answer, but in retrospect, I think you may be right. Not because being proficient in the craft means having or needing no religious belief, but because the very way it is presented assumes that the newcomer is "using" gods solely to boost their confidence as a witch for spell-work, and if that is the case then there is totally no true relationship with - much less understanding of - divinity. So yes, the god would be tossed aside later, or become a nice-but-forgotten teddy bear in the closet of their mind. Though I doubt any real connection was ever made - no god I have heard of (and granted there are thousands) would be willing to be used at whim for spell-work...I think it is rather arrogant of humans to believe that gods actually can be used in that way. To think so rather makes the human the god and the god a puppet. 

M

^this. It's a personal pet peeve of mine when such people call spellwork "prayer with props".

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.