Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Universal Energy or God

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
149 replies to this topic

#81 sapphire109

sapphire109

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:14 AM

Universal Energy! Isn't that in simple terms what "God" is?

Energy that comes from all around us and is within everything, not just on this Earth but also the moon, the stars the whole Universe. It is there to be used and tapped into when you need it, you can focus it. Every thought form is an energy so although there are different "levels" of the Universal energy it all makes up the whole energy of the Universe.

Divine energy is the highest level in which we all wish to become, isn't this why we have to live mortal lives, to progress spiritually, to become closer to the Divine?

Sorry I know I am rambling but we all know that energy itself has to have a positive and receptive/negative "feed", it has to have it or there will be no energy in the first place, and lets face it, without it we have no earth - it has to spin somehow right!

Then, where the God/Goddess, Lord/Lady comes into play is actually giving the positive and receptive a name as most people need someone to call rather than something - postive being Male and receptive being Female. So is this itself the Divine, the energies combined?

I feel that the Dieties represent all the forms of energy that can be focused from the Universe and as I said before, it can be far easier to invoke Pan for example or Diana as a "Godlike person" rather than as a specific energy force.

It's 6am here so if I have just spouted complete and utter bollocks, please say :D :D

I agree with the connection your making.with the universe-lord/lady- deities being different aspects of the universe. The name just helps tap into the energy better I think.

Jade

#82 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:20 AM

I actually feel sorry for the gods.

Through the ages they have been loved, feared, worshipped. In the modern day they tend to get little more than bastardised. They get aspects of their personality ignored whenever convenient, they have to listen to their 'followers' whine and refuse proper worship. They get unceremoniously denied by the very people who claim to believe in them. It's quite horrible really.

People expect it to be like having a friend who you hang around with who is fairly quiet
"Friend I want to borrow money, I'll pay you back"
"Um... okay"
"J/K I'll pay back to another friend who is a bit like you but shows a bit more leg."
"..."

I believe the gods exist, not "they exist for you, but not for me", I believe they are a class of spiritual being that is varied and justifiably avoiding humanity.

Is universal energy separate? I don't hold that universal energy has its own concsiousness any more than electricity or wind currents do. Gods may have a better grasp at manipulating energy, they may even generate a fairly substantial amount (I've never asked) the gods may have started as simply facets of the energy pervading the universe, but every person on this planet started out as a lucky single cell one day that was at the right place at the right time. I think it would be unfair to treat a god, any god, as simply a facet of something much better as it would be to treat a person as a pair of cells from their parents.

#83 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:25 PM

As you may know, I am currently tracing my ancestry on all of my family lines. I have information on over 4,000 of my ancestors, including not only my direct line, which is most relevant of course, but also aunts, uncles, and cousins. Sometimes, I look at the names and the connections, some as far back as the 1200s, and I think "what if it were possible to keep going?" What if I could trace my ancestry back, back, back to the BEGINNING. What would I find? Better, who would I find? Hell, I don't know, but I do know that the soul, spirit, etc. is eternal, but does not necessarily remain cohesive. So, does the spirit of my 17th great grandmother still exist? Yes, I believe so; however, over the centuries has likely been dispersed into the Universe, becoming one with it. I can call upon her essence, work with her spiritual energy or the energy of any number of entities.

So, my prevailing view on gods/goddesses (which is subject to change) is that they are representations of our spiritual ancestry. They may or may not have existed in corporeal form at one time, long ago, before there was time. Their essence, their archetypes, have survived for whatever reason, been mythologicized (I know that's not a word) and somewhere along the line deified. Do they exist? Well, yes and no. I know for a fact, that my 21st great grandfather existed, based on . . . TA DA! . . . my existence. So, I must surmised that at some point in history a being, a person, an entity, etc. must have existed that manifested the traits of the gods/goddesses. It may not be who or what you think, as like in the game of "Telephone", the stories have become skewed over time, just ask Lucifer.

Based on my knowledge of my current (i.e. living) family, I connect to my ancient ancestry, but I do not worship them. I will work with them, but I will not use them. It's a matter of respect. Someday, when I have moved on to the realm of pure spirit, I don't want to be treated like 411, only called upon when someone wants something.

#84 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:08 PM

As you may know, I am currently tracing my ancestry on all of my family lines. I have information on over 4,000 of my ancestors, including not only my direct line, which is most relevant of course, but also aunts, uncles, and cousins. Sometimes, I look at the names and the connections, some as far back as the 1200s, and I think "what if it were possible to keep going?" What if I could trace my ancestry back, back, back to the BEGINNING. What would I find? Better, who would I find? Hell, I don't know, but I do know that the soul, spirit, etc. is eternal, but does not necessarily remain cohesive. So, does the spirit of my 17th great grandmother still exist? Yes, I believe so; however, over the centuries has likely been dispersed into the Universe, becoming one with it. I can call upon her essence, work with her spiritual energy or the energy of any number of entities.

So, my prevailing view on gods/goddesses (which is subject to change) is that they are representations of our spiritual ancestry. They may or may not have existed in corporeal form at one time, long ago, before there was time. Their essence, their archetypes, have survived for whatever reason, been mythologicized (I know that's not a word) and somewhere along the line deified. Do they exist? Well, yes and no. I know for a fact, that my 21st great grandfather existed, based on . . . TA DA! . . . my existence. So, I must surmised that at some point in history a being, a person, an entity, etc. must have existed that manifested the traits of the gods/goddesses. It may not be who or what you think, as like in the game of "Telephone", the stories have become skewed over time, just ask Lucifer.

Based on my knowledge of my current (i.e. living) family, I connect to my ancient ancestry, but I do not worship them. I will work with them, but I will not use them. It's a matter of respect. Someday, when I have moved on to the realm of pure spirit, I don't want to be treated like 411, only called upon when someone wants something.

I once read somewhere re gods (and I'm sure ancestors) that if one calls too often they don't answer and if one calls too little they don't hear.

I honestly haven't decided whether or not I worship - I would first have to decide, exactly, what that word means to me personally. But I am definitely devotional.

Re ancestor lines - I was just going through my family tree yesterday looking for something. The line is English with a wee bit of Irish thrown in. Interestingly enough, some hunderd odd years ago, my mother's and my father's line were related. (Maybe that's my problem - I'm inbred!!! lol)

M

#85 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

Ancestry has always seemed a lost leader to me, it could just be a convenient way to meet up with the same folks again and again and again.... As for Gods; I think that there are all classes of beings; "classes" denoting power. An all powerful creator?? Jury's still out. I can drum up devotion for Elements though...
"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#86 Rollaj

Rollaj

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:22 PM

From what I've read in this thread, there are more people that believe pretty much the same way that I do than I ever thought.
Hopefully I don't regurgitate too much that's already been written. But here I go...

I believe that there is one universal energy that encompasses all. Each individual God and Goddess represent an aspect of that energy that you wish to call upon, or work with.
The God/dess's that exist were created to give life to a particular ideology.

Not to make light of this thread, but to make a bold statement of belief, for example, you could invoke Mickey Mouse if you wanted to work with that particular energy.

Even though it is a fictitious work, loosely based on Sumerian mythology, the Necronomicon works for some people because of what I am writing here.
Magic is all about intent, and if you can focus wholeheartedly on the energy represented, you can invoke whatever you want.

Now maybe evoking Mickey Mouse (or Cthulu) into a physical manifestation is stretching it a bit... LOL

Personally, I prefer to work with Elemental energies. It's very easy for me to align myself to what I need to use for a particular working.

Ok, I guess that's what I have for now...

Rollaj

Follow the yellow brick road Dorothy. For there be Dragons, and thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

#87 Christy

Christy

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

I agree with you, Sandy, but have been working more and more with dieties and while at first tended to lump them together as God / Goddess, I realized that, to me, they are indeed individual energies with specific gifts and personalities, yet all a part of the bigger picture. I'm still trying to figure out whether 'God' is all or all are 'God', but I guess that's to be determined and I tend to feel that all of these divine energies are kind of like branches on a giant tree. Universal energy = all are energy = all are God?

A few years ago, I got a 1/4 sleeve tattoo of Artemis on my forearm and while I always admired her and felt connected, it didn't really click until I really started working with magic that we actually have what I feel is a relationship. I call on her when I am working with a sick calf or cow and truly feel her presence. I feel that way about Isis and a few other dieties I've always been drawn to. To me they are real and that works for me.

Did they actually exist on earth? Perhaps in some manner - in truth, we don't even know if Jesus actually walked the earth, but to me he is certainly a valid diety to work with as well. Things and people have energy, but they are also given energy. As witches we know putting energy, will and intention into something will make it manifest and why wouldn't that be the same for people/dieties? Dieties, Angels, Ascended Masters - I think they are *just* on the other side of the veil.

Just my opinion. Wonderful thread! And Sandy, very excited to hear about your Ascension when you are ready. I read the article and found it profound and beautiful. As a former Catholic my view on angels was of course, Catholic... but have since learned so much more and have been interested in working with them. Thank you for posting that!

A wonderful new year to all!

#88 Ayrmids_Runes

Ayrmids_Runes

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:31 AM

Fascinating ideas out there. I wanted to share a recent experience of mine:

I occasionally set aside a time to use "magic mushrooms" during meditation, and recently I had the most profound experience. I left my body, went out into the ether, and met god. She told me her name was Ra (she specifically said to me that she was like the egyptian god (who is suppose to be male), but not exactly the same). She told me we are all connected, we are all gods, and the gods are all us. We are all one symbiotic entity. She told me she likes our worship, but does not need it, and that she loves us just the same reguardles......

Now, this is obvious just a snippet of what I experienced, but it was profound to me. The experience was as real at the time as sitting here at this computer right now..... no, it was MORE real than this. And I can remember having to constantly remind myself of my children and responsiblities, because I did not want to come back to this terestrial life. Could this all have been an elaborate state created by the drugs, sure. Could my subconsious have picked this out and played it for me like an elaborate dream, maybe. I can't be absolutely certain of what I experienced, but I can say it has changed my perception of god.

#89 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

Energy that comes from all around us and is within everything, not just on this Earth but also the moon, the stars the whole Universe. It is there to be used and tapped into when you need it, you can focus it. Every thought form is an energy so although there are different "levels" of the Universal energy it all makes up the whole energy of the Universe.

Divine energy is the highest level in which we all wish to become, isn't this why we have to live mortal lives, to progress spiritually, to become closer to the Divine?

Sorry I know I am rambling but we all know that energy itself has to have a positive and receptive/negative "feed", it has to have it or there will be no energy in the first place, and lets face it, without it we have no earth - it has to spin somehow right!

Then, where the God/Goddess, Lord/Lady comes into play is actually giving the positive and receptive a name as most people need someone to call rather than something - postive being Male and receptive being Female. So is this itself the Divine, the energies combined?

I feel that the Dieties represent all the forms of energy that can be focused from the Universe and as I said before, it can be far easier to invoke Pan for example or Diana as a "Godlike person" rather than as a specific energy force.

It's 6am here so if I have just spouted complete and utter bollocks, please say :D :D

Not sure if this is an active thread still or not but i thought i'd add my two cents here. My personal theories on Gods and Dieties is that they're archetypes (from the collective unconciouss). Now this is Jungian but it has a lot of support, and explains things very well. It is one of the possible reasons cultures have similar deities even when in different countries and continents. Example Most cultures have a Mother Goddess. The Mother archetype is one of the most powerful and well known to humans (as we all have mothers even if we don't know them). Putting a face on a God/dess makes them approachable and easier to work with. I personally find this easier than working with a vague concept of energy without form. Theres a good quote (i'm kicking myself because i can't remember the name of the person who said it) that goes "If i was a horse my gods would be horses too". I think this has all be said more or less but i figured i'd post something myself to let people know i'm here :)

I see it all, more or less, like what Sandy and SaiOdin offered here. I have other theories, mainly about ancestors as gods and the like, but this is the base of it for me.

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#90 Nyxiah

Nyxiah

Mistress of Twisted Bats

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:58 AM

I tend to agree with 8people and Christy in their theories - that I do believe that the Gods and Goddess archetype exist - but just that they are on a different frequency/energy level - perhaps they were human eons ago, perhaps they were not, and in many cases as was touched on there are so many differently named Gods and Goddess all over the world, who share the same traits - some as in the Grecian and Roman pantheon, are the same with just different names, even their features and properties all stayed exactly the same.

I do feel that there is definitely energies out there - but what I may call a God, someone else may just think is a spiritual residue of a long lost ancestor - who knows. I guess until we get to the other side, we never might.

To touch on the Mickey Mouse theory, you have a very valid point there - anything can be worshipped and idolised into a godform for someone. I mean just imagine it - very very hypothetically - humans and life on this planet are wiped out -boom- then an alien race finds earth and decides to take a look around and finds pictures and statues etc of Mickey Mouse all over the world - perhaps they would assume that this was one of our Gods and he would go down in Archelogical records forever being the "Mouse like god beloved by children" :) Just an interesting way to look at how something can be seen so differently, by different eyes ;)

I make the path - Alice from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

#91 Guest_LadyofTheRavens_*

Guest_LadyofTheRavens_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:06 PM

So. I have been thinking about energy lately. So I went searching and found this post. I wish to share my thoughts before reading the comments or I will forget what I wanted to say lol. I have been thinking that the energy we work with naturally may be on different wavelengths. This would explain why a reiki attunement a few years ago actually seemed to shut off my natural level of vibration, seemingly cutting me off from what I had used naturally before hand... or perhaps it's a case of raising me to a higher wavelength. I am gradually getting the connection back, I can feel it.

I also think then, that perhaps the idea of deities being energy forms (as are we all) - perhaps they are on different wavelengths as well. This would explain our being drawn to work with particular ones, or being "called" if that is what has apparently happened. I also think that things like the symbols we use may work with different wavelengths of energy. Runes, reiki symbols, ogham etc perhaps all help to connect, guide and focus that wavelength of energy that is most suitable.

Edited by LadyofTheRavens, 27 August 2012 - 11:29 PM.

#92 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:11 AM

So. I have been thinking about energy lately. So I went searching and found this post. I wish to share my thoughts before reading the comments or I will forget what I wanted to say lol. I have been thinking that the energy we work with naturally may be on different wavelengths. This would explain why a reiki attunement a few years ago actually seemed to shut off my natural level of vibration, seemingly cutting me off from what I had used naturally before hand... or perhaps it's a case of raising me to a higher wavelength. I am gradually getting the connection back, I can feel it.

I also think then, that perhaps the idea of deities being energy forms (as are we all) - perhaps they are on different wavelengths as well. This would explain our being drawn to work with particular ones, or being "called" if that is what has apparently happened. I also think that things like the symbols we use may work with different wavelengths of energy. Runes, reiki symbols, ogham etc perhaps all help to connect, guide and focus that wavelength of energy that is most suitable.

Hello ! I'm glad you are searching these old posts and finding some questions that may resonate with you. I know nothing of Reiki, but I can appreciate those that do and utilize that as part of their respected Path and Craft. I don't have the same thought process as you, regarding the idea of dieties being energy forms. I am an animist, I see a life form in much of my Path. To look at it as a diety above me, I can't process that, but to look at it as an ally and have a relationship with it, I can. IE : I see plants as allies, stones as allies, trees as allies, insects as allies..ect... you follow ? LOL !

I can attest to different levels of Energy as Source, some have washed over me, some have bombarded me. I wouldn't ascribe to Energy being called a wavelenghth, from what have experianced, I'd call it personal intuition or wisdom. I'm glad you are finding yours and it's being stirred up.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#93 Guest_LadyofTheRavens_*

Guest_LadyofTheRavens_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:36 AM

Hello ! I'm glad you are searching these old posts and finding some questions that may resonate with you. I know nothing of Reiki, but I can appreciate those that do and utilize that as part of their respected Path and Craft. I don't have the same thought process as you, regarding the idea of dieties being energy forms. I am an animist, I see a life form in much of my Path. To look at it as a diety above me, I can't process that, but to look at it as an ally and have a relationship with it, I can. IE : I see plants as allies, stones as allies, trees as allies, insects as allies..ect... you follow ? LOL !

I can attest to different levels of Energy as Source, some have washed over me, some have bombarded me. I wouldn't ascribe to Energy being called a wavelenghth, from what have experianced, I'd call it personal intuition or wisdom. I'm glad you are finding yours and it's being stirred up.

Regards,
Gypsy

ahhh I don't see "deities" as above me, but yes I work with them in some ways. This has had my brain going crazy... when I am talking about wavelengths of energy I am talking about the scientific ideas. Like how colours and light are the visible spectrum of energy, with frequency/wavelength and so on. I could even take this further! (my brain is going crazy with stuff right now). Like... how people like particular types of music, or even certain crystals and colours. They vibrate at the level that is compatible with them. hmmmm...

#94 Archabyss

Archabyss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:54 AM

1229874327[/url]' post='50932']

Put it down to my being an atheist if you like,(that I don't accept the god bit), but gods are supposed to have personalities, to have some kind of connection to people. Gods choose favourites and will bestow their blessings on some and not others. Energy doesn't do this, it will flow to all equally. It has no concern about what its flowing through.

Not really going to get involved in this topic but energy does in a way have favourites, its like to flow though the path of least resistance.

If you are open to the idea and experience then you will get far more out of it than someone who is closed to the possibilities.

#95 Guest_LadyofTheRavens_*

Guest_LadyofTheRavens_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:56 AM

Not really going to get involved in this topic but energy does in a way have favourites, its like to flow though the path of least resistance.

If you are open to the idea and experience then you will get far more out of it than someone who is closed to the possibilities.

I can't believe I didn't think of this, but it makes perfect sense to the scientific side of me. Perfect explanation!

Edited by LadyofTheRavens, 28 August 2012 - 06:56 AM.

#96 firesong

firesong

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

My views are similar to Judaic concept of the Ein Sof, and the Native Wakkan Tanka, Both are nameless, without form, sex, and limitless. Once you name an entity, you give it attributes and limits. You can access those attributes under those limits with the name. Solomon did it in the Lesser Key with different names for G-d, each one bearing correspondences he wished to harness for his work.

From a purely theoretical physics perspective, the entire net energy of the universe is actually zero. Every action and vector has an equal and opposite action or vector, leading to a net result of zero energy. In other words, at least in my view, the only balance in the universe is total chaos.

I see universal energy as being available to all, whenever necessary, for whatever purpose. In a way, I could equate it with G-d, but only as a component; even the act of calling it universal energy puts some limits on it, which to me, brings about a certain level of inaccuracy, but the human language isn't really sufficient to speak about many things, and this is one of them...

#97 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

I believe in the source, the great mystery, the great architect it goes by many names but essentially all comes down to the same thing it's the root of all energy and not a god. I don't worship a god or goddess essentially I believe we are all connected the energy in everything binds us together with plants, animals , minerals , spirits and the elements because each and everything is filled with its own energy and that energy is sacred. I also believe in spirit helpers they are part of the same energy but can help us by using their unique abilities with that energy however not all spirits are nice so you must be very careful dealing with them . Some people are far more attuned to the energy within themselves and can manipulate it to their wishes and that's what we do when we do magic.

Ancestors and genealogy, my husbands family can trace their family back to the 1200s which is really neat and fun to read about and it gives them a sense of connection. My family is some what the exact opposite we have no idea who my great grandfather is on one a side because it was intentionally erased by my grand mother who was trying to protect her. It's impossible to trace most of my family beyond the late 1800s because no one kept track of it. IMO family heritage is important but it isn't more important than knowing yourself and I think you can develop a strong family connection with people who are not actually related. I call on my ancestors but that doesn't mean I have to know their names I just have to follow my own energy backwards in time to them.

#98 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

There's a lot going on in this thread, and much of what has been said is good stuff. I can only add my personal beliefs.

I would describe myself as agnostic only because I know that I can't possibly know if there is a god or not. There is no compelling evidence either way. However, I do believe in a set of scientific laws that govern the universe. I believe these could be seen as "god" due to the fact that they "rule" the universe.

Anthropomorphized "god"-beings with intelligence are one of two things: tulpas/thoughtforms -- created by the collective belief of mankind. Or beings existing on a different plane of existence/parallel universe -- this, to me, would explain why they communicate better with certain folk. You would need to be "tuned in" to their frequency as it were. I have never found a frequency that I can hear (including my years in the Xtian church), so I don't feel any need to believe in, worship, or give reverence to these deities. I've been known to use images of saints or gods in workings, but only as reservoirs of collective power due to their many followers. A tradition of belief that long has given these "beings" power useful to witchcraft, but I don't believe these beings are sentient or distinct individuals.

As far as universal energy is concerned, I consider myself an animist. All matter in our universe contains spirit/energy. I also believe it is all interconnected. When we die, we are absorbed back into the energy, and when a new child is born, the energy is collected into their vessel. In this way, souls are connected through generation, beyond family ties (though family ties are powerful), and certain objects/land/animals resonate with the individual due to a shared energy somewhere in their lineage.

So... there's my two cents... ;)

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

Rock on, gold dust woman. Take your silver spoon and dig your grave.

#99 Hagred

Hagred

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:56 AM

Hello, I’m quite a newbie here and reading through these interesting posts I agree with Sandy and Brian.

Humans like to get handles on things like universal energies by giving them human personalities (god/goddesses, angles, devas, elementals) with the whole spectrum of human emotions, strengths and weaknesses. Take a look at the Greek pantheon for instance, the goings on between Persephone and Hades, Zeus and Ganymede etc.

Witches have learned to manipulate these energies and have created systems to achieve this, from very early shamanistic practices to the elaborate "Golden Dawn" ceremonial magic. Revealed or "official religions" have always been at loggerheads with witches or anyone not of their membership simply because witches aren’t sheeple and cannot be intimidated or herded to the whims of priests and popes :kat:

It is good to be mindful of syncretism in all the various paths and traditions. Little is known of the beliefs of the pre Celtic peoples of the British Isles (those who built Stonehenge). The Celts arrived from the east bringing with them their form of shamanism that evolved into Druidry with very sophisticated centres of leaning in Albion, Erin and Gaul. The horned god Cernunos for instance represented on the Gundestrup cauldron is almost identical to Pashupati (Lord of animals) of the Indus valley (3000 BCE). Cultures travel, migrate and mix through peaceful trade and cultural exchange or outright invasion, like the Saxon invasion of Celtic Britain, the Roman occupation before that. How much one path influenced the other I cannot say but I do think there was a melting pot of systems with one budding off from another, one family tradition blending with another through intermarriage etc.

Wicca, a modern version of witchcraft put together by Gardner in the 1950´s. He got a lot of stuff from the New Forest witches (initiated Dorothy Clutterbuck) if I’m not mistaken was a member of a coven of traditional British witches. Generally they (Wiccans) worship a god and goddess. Gods and goddesses come in many names and Dion Fortune once said all the gods are one god and all the goddesses are one goddess.

The conquest of Mexico by Spain brought Catholicism and the Inquisition. Many souls were put to the fire in the great metropoli, but the country being very mountainous and even to this day parts still inaccessible has enabled many cultures to survive intact. Others have resisted yet others became syncretised with Catholicism and the old gods now are referred to as Catholic Saints but with the attributes of the Old Ones. Curanderas now can be known as Catholic witches, an oxymoron but true! We have aural cleansings with smoke and herbs by the local shamans (and the priest himself at times) at the back of the altar of the Catholic Church in Catemaco - quite an experience!

I am now wondering if one can eke out ones own path, then pass this to offspring; from mother to daughter, grandson etc that eventually this will become a traditional path.

My I have gassed on a bit - I hope I haven’t upset anyone :twisted_witch:
Cheers! :wavex:

#100 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:08 AM

Hello, I’m quite a newbie here and reading through these interesting posts I agree with Sandy and Brian.

. . . My I have gassed on a bit - I hope I haven’t upset anyone :twisted_witch:
Cheers! :wavex:

As you continue reading the Forum, you will find that much of what you have mentioned in your response, has been discussed in other threads and posts. Some interesting bits in there . . . Hopefully, a few folks will be inspired, go in search of related comments, and bump them up for further discussion.