Witch As Hare

Tana

Though this is an old thread, I'd like to share some information regarding the difference between hares and rabbits, though many similar points have already been made.

Hares are solitary things, larger, and they change their fur color throughout the year. They pair off to mate, without violence. They are more feral and weird. Bigger and faster. Rabbits live in colonies; males fight for dominance, and then mate with most of the females in an area. Rabbits are smaller, their fur doesn't change color, and they are a bit more timid.

Witches will have an association with hares. Ordinary people with rabbits. The "Victim" will always be a "rabbit".

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I just would like to add to this wonderful post that the Hare is a symbol of fertility at Ostara, they get the reputation in Spring, as the Mad March Hare because Male Hare will stand on their hind legs and box their opponents for mating rites.

I believe that English Witches could turn themselves in a Hare and Scottish Witches had the reputation of turning themselves into either Crows, Ravens or Cats.

Scottish Chant to Shapeshift.

I shall go into a Crow

With sorrow and such and a black thraw

And I shall go in the Devils name

Untill I come home again.

To Thraw means to turn, to twist, distort. "Old Scots" One turn of the hand, in a twisting motion.

To Change Back

Crow, Crow, Crow, God

Send thee a black thraw

I was a crow just now But I shall be

in a woman's likeness even now

Crow, Crow, Crow, God.

Send thee a black thraw!

For Astral Travelling chant while holding a crow or Raven Feather (From the wichcraft trial of Isobell Gowdie.

Scottish Highlanders associated Ravens with the "Second Sight"

Elizabeth Gowdie "Pittenweem" 1662, confessed that "when we would go in the likeness of a Cat, we wold say thrice over ( 3 times)

I shall go into a Cat

With Sorrow and Such, and a black shot (much care)

And I shall go in the Divell's name

Aye until I come home again!

And when we wold be out o these shape, we say

Catt, Cat, God send the black thraw

I was a cat just now But I shall be in a women's likeness even now

Catt, Cat, God send the Black thraw (shot)

I conjure the go with us.

• Upvote 1

I will always thank Disney Studios (say what we must about their creepy pedo-file racket) for the Sword In The Stone movie and the image it gave of Merlin in Bermuda shorts and sandals with socks! The shape shifting lessons given to Wort, the young Arthur, were very instructive. To be a good king and rule over a kingdom you must know the various ways of all the inhabitants. Metaphorically, to reign over one's own psyche (kingdom) you must know the ways of your thoughts. Nobody said it has to be boring.

Edited by Zombee
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but came across it today and not sure it’s been mentioned that if you want to see a hare, it can be useful to learn the cry of the leveret (baby hare). I knew a man in Hertfordshire who lurched, he learnt to call and would hide out of sight until the nearby mother hare, or an interested third party, came to investigate. I’d never use it in that way, but if you’d like to spot a hare it can be very useful. It takes a lot of practice, but there must be videos of leverets calling online that would help you learn. I’m not great at it myself though!

On the idea of only non witches being associated with rabbits, I haven’t found that. I’ve always found both woven into witchy ways, though differently - as they are very different as said above. I’ll try and look for some research about it. In shapeshifting though, it is the Hare favoured, partly as they are so fast and strong and solitary.

Onyx, a favourite chant of mine! Have you seen it put to music by Sedayne?

@Blackbirdsong Very cool. Sadly no hares in this part of PA.

Just FYI, while in some forums it is frowned upon, resurrecting old threads is highly encouraged here. The idea being the forum is more user friendly if there are not multiple threads on the same topic. So, don’t let a thread being old stop you.:)

• Upvote 1