25 replies to this topic

#21 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:47 PM

Yes Boudicca, good call!!
Not certain but I thought she used them as a form of divination... not sure tho fox so you could be right.

#22 nemi

nemi

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:11 AM

Boudicca released a hare as a form of divination, it's direction told her whether a battle was likely to be victorious. My grandmother told me lots of stories about Irish witches and hares and they have always been a potent symbol to me. I still look to them as both an augury and a sign of the goddess. For example i went for an important meeting in a town i had never been to. I was really nervous and as i walked to the meeting i passed the local brewery and their huge factory had a massive leaping hare sign on it. Nerves gone, i knew it was going to be a success, and it was. At Dublin airport there are hares that dance and play around the runways. In many countries they would be destroyed but never in Ireland, and i love it because when i see them i know I'm home.

#23 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:37 AM

Do we differentiate between hare and rabbit?
"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#24 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:29 PM

Yes.

A hare is much bigger than a rabbit.

(I googled it when I read the article)

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#25 Forester

Forester

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:48 PM

In the last year I've been blessed to see many hares, last Sunday we were driving (wife and I) and we noticed a hare running up a cut wheat field. We stopped because, well, we love watching them. Then another came up and they started boxing! It was such a sight. I would say that if you saw a hare running down the road in front of your car you'd know it, but actually you might not. It runs more like a deer than a hopping rabbit and at first can easily be mistaken for a small dog.

If you've not yet been fortunate enough to see a hare you will realize the fortune of coming across them when you do. As with most animals I am willing to eat, it doesn't mean I love them any less as animals (like pigs, for example), but I have tried jugged hare and I'll be honest unless you're a real glutton for punishment I wouldn't recommend it. It was terrible, and not just because I felt bad for eating something as wild as a hare. It was so dry, like school dinner liver. Rabbit, on the other hand...

But spotting hares is not easy. Before this last year I had never seen them before. It takes a lot of country drives. Unless you enjoy driving around the English countryside for its own sake, you are unlikely to be out frequently enough to spot this elusive beast. Its predominant habitat is fields however, so at least if they are around you're less likely to miss them.

Edited by Godless, 07 September 2015 - 05:43 PM.

#26 SororMIMM

SororMIMM

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:08 PM

Though this is an old thread, I'd like to share some information regarding the difference between hares and rabbits, though many similar points have already been made.
Hares are solitary things, larger, and they change their fur color throughout the year. They pair off to mate, without violence. They are more feral and weird. Bigger and faster. Rabbits live in colonies; males fight for dominance, and then mate with most of the females in an area. Rabbits are smaller, their fur doesn't change color, and they are a bit more timid.
Witches will have an association with hares. Ordinary people with rabbits. The "Victim" will always be a "rabbit".