65 replies to this topic

#1 arabi

arabi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:03 AM

You can view the page at http://www.tradition...-witchcraft-r44
Somewhere, however far or near, there is something very dark and grim hurtling toward each one of us. We just don't know when it will hit. Then, quite suddenly, it won't be all right at all.

#2 Lela

Lela

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:15 PM

Even though I do not consider myself a satanist, the "rules of the earth" and the "sins" very much ring a bell with me. Thank you for that article. It was quite an eye opener.

#3 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:27 PM

I am digging the solopism rule. Its so true. I don't expect everyone to be me, to act like me or to be as reliable as me. However, the people who are reliable and gain my trust, I am loyal to them like no one else! The rest can find someone else take their flakiness!:rabbit:
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#4 Clover

Clover

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:41 PM

Its amazing how most, including me make judgements and have our own opinions as to what other religions are, and have not actually gone in search of information to understand, and if they had I’m sure they would have the same realisation as I just did because of your article, WOW, who knew that they had normal idea’s, here many call us evil but have no understanding of what our belief system is… just something to remember, find out everything possible before making rash decisions! Thank you for that post, really gave me a different out look to Satanists. (although, I had a good giggle at some things):roflhard:

#5 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:09 AM

Great article. I've always said that if I didn't do things in the nature I do, I would probably convert to Satanism, though it wouldn't be much of a change:P

#6 Willau

Willau

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:30 AM

I see a whole lot of "me, myself, & I" integrated into this perspective.

Totality is the whole, & the "me" is just a particle of the "whole" concept.

I personally find this a narrow point of view. Projecting & being oneself (which is in itself pertinent) is a facet of the whole being.

Think about it....

#7 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:43 AM

I know two individuals personally who are self-proclaimed satanists, and quite frankly I do not like either one of them. This may have more to do with them, than with their religious choice, but all the same, their description of other satanists and their behaviors and attitudes are not appealing to me. The fact is that these two people do not care about anyone, but themselves. Me, me, me, me . . . these guys are totally and wholely self-absorbed. I have my "I don't give a shit" days, too, but when I do it is usually me wishing that I didn't care so much for a just a little while. To truly not care about anyone EVER, but yourself is to me a terrible flaw in character. Being around these two people for even brief periods of time, left me literally sickened. As an empath, I can handle any type of emotion, but a sucking void filled with arrogance and contempt is just too much for me. To be fair, I haven't met every satanist in the world, so my perspective may be off. That is probably all of the qualification that I'll need to do; however, because most true satanists are not going to be offended by what I wrote here.

Jevne

#8 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:41 PM

Hmmmm, while the article is interesting, I would have to believe in Satan in order to take any part of it seriously and I don't. To me, the belief in Satanism is simply a rebellion against the Catholic Church, nothing less and nothing more. But then, I don't subscribe to any religion basically because I believe they are all created equal, created to control the masses.

Edited by Brigid, 29 June 2010 - 01:43 PM.
addition

Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#9 Mysteria

Mysteria

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:55 PM

Hmmmm, while the article is interesting, I would have to believe in Satan in order to take any part of it seriously and I don't. To me, the belief in Satanism is simply a rebellion against the Catholic Church, nothing less and nothing more. But then, I don't subscribe to any religion basically because I believe they are all created equal, created to control the masses.

I agree with you 110% Brigid.
Jevne, I have meet only a few as well and got the same vibe from those that your describing. Who knows maybe we both just meet the wrong ones but it has put an impression of the belief in my mind.

#10 BlackRaven

BlackRaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:48 PM

Before I even knew what paganism was and was looking to see what my beliefs matched with, I looked into and read the Satanic Bible. I thought a lot of it sat well with my mind, but I didn't like their "shock value" way of trying to upset X-tians.
The mind works like a parachute. Better when its open.

#11 Thunorson

Thunorson

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:00 AM

I'm amused by the few I've met who take delight in trying to shock pagans too.
And we're pretty unshockable, I like to think.

Still, it winds up a lot of pagans I know, who don't think satanists should be pigeonholed with pagans, Satan being a Christian concept.

Actually, this reminds me of the Discordians; could they be seen as a type of satanism as mentioned in the article? Now they reeeaaally piss off a lot of people lol.

#12 BlackRaven

BlackRaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:18 AM

I don't class Satanism as a branch of Paganism. Not because of the whole "Satan is a Christian concept" thing cos I disagree with that (the devil is a Christian concept, Satan is not meant to be the devil in Satanism). The reason I don't class it as a branch though is because I believe Paganism covers earth and nature based systems, and Satanism is all about the self - almost to the point of being selfish really.
The mind works like a parachute. Better when its open.

#13 Thunorson

Thunorson

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:25 AM

Blackraven, you're quite right, sorry. Satan and the devil being separate things.

This is also why many Heathens don't use the label Pagan, as Heathenry isn't necessarily Earth or Nature based as a religion. But I digress, sorry!

#14 Thunorson

Thunorson

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:55 PM

Sorry, just wanting to clarify something I should probably know by now; Satan and the devil - The devil is widely referred to in some circles of witchcraft and Hoodoo, and I take it this stems from the old Wood Devil of Teutonic legend? The devil, in many, many guises, appears with the name 'Devil' in Wales, England, the U.S etc, basically all places with Teutonic influence. He seems to be a mix of many tricksterish spirits/gods/what-have-you fom Europe (including, possibly, Legba from the ADTs, ie. the Man at the crossroads).
But Satan? Is that name Eastern, where/when does it come from? Is that not the Christian term for 'im what is reviled in Christian myth?

Edited by Thunorson, 30 June 2010 - 09:56 PM.
Waaay too much ale for a weekday

#15 TheOn3LeftBehind

TheOn3LeftBehind

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:37 AM

Satan is a concept deriving from Christianity, and therefore is attached to Christianity. Satanism was not seen prior to Christianity, so therefore those such as Michael W. Ford using Lucifer as a synonym for Satan within Witchcraft can be seen definitely as a "neo" practitioner as the beliefs are definitely experimental and Lucifer traditionally had no connection to Christianity whatsoever as it didn't exist.
Woman, I saw you riding on a fence switch with loose hair and belt, in the troll skin, at the time when day and night are equal.” -Reference from C. E. Law of Vastgotaland

#16 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:57 AM

Satan is a concept deriving from Christianity, and therefore is attached to Christianity.

That's not entirely true. Satan is actually the westernized spelling of Shaitan, pronounced pretty much the same way. Shaitan is of the djinn(I believe fire djinn if I remember correctly) or is what we call a genie, and djinn have been around in ancient arabic longer thn Christianity has been. If you don't know, djinn don't pop out of lamps and give you wishes. They're summoned and will give you what you want, but they take something in return, sort of a trade, though with djinn like Shaitan, you always get shafted with the trade in price. That's part of where selling or trading your soul to Satan comes from. Shaitan is also used in Islamic terms for a devil or demon, though the word orginally comes from arabic and means hidden.

Also, while there the idea of the Devil named Satan is mostly Christian, there's a universal theme that's been around since man had the idea of worshiping something, because like Newton put forth, for every action you have something equal, but the opposite. So if there's something completely good, then there has to be something completely evil, it could be said that evil was just given a name.

One more note, there are Satanists, that do believe that Satan is a true entity and the true God, creator of all. The believe Christianity to be a work of evil, turning people from the truth and shrouding them in fears and lies so that people never reach their true potential in things like sorcery and knowledge, and create a personal hell that damns their own souls even further hindering their spiritual development. They also believe that Satan was around first so therefore, Christianity was created to lead people away from the truth that is Satan, so it could be said that Christianity derives from Satan, not the other way around.

Lucifer traditionally had no connection to Christianity whatsoever as it didn't exist.

This is true, but to be exact, Lucifer doesn't have any connection with Christianity, except through bad translating(which the bible is full of). Satan is an angel, to some scholars, an arch angel in fact, and in original texts he is not referred to as Lucifer. He is referred to as being the light bearer, which Lucifer means but the angel was never called by name. In original texts he it is said the light bearer is cast down and God renames him Satan and now he gets to hover/fly over the abyss for all eternity. Unfortunately since the angel that became Satan was called the light bearer and Lucifer's name means that, the two were put together, thus tying them together just like they tied Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit all into being the same entity. So Satan is one person, the Devil is another, and Lucifer is someone else completely and has been framed all this time.

Sorry, this is one of my favourite subjects out there and I love to throw out this kind of info^_^ Hope someone found it interesting.

#17 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:33 AM

Sorry, this is one of my favourite subjects out there and I love to throw out this kind of info^_^ Hope someone found it interesting.

I did, especially this part:

One more note, there are Satanists, that do believe that Satan is a true entity and the true God, creator of all. The believe Christianity to be a work of evil, turning people from the truth and shrouding them in fears and lies so that people never reach their true potential in things like sorcery and knowledge, and create a personal hell that damns their own souls even further hindering their spiritual development. They also believe that Satan was around first so therefore, Christianity was created to lead people away from the truth that is Satan, so it could be said that Christianity derives from Satan, not the other way around.

This type of belief among Satanists hadn't occurred to me, and I haven't studied it extensively so I hadn't run across it. Very interesting indeed.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#18 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:50 PM

This type of belief among Satanists hadn't occurred to me, and I haven't studied it extensively so I hadn't run across it. Very interesting indeed.

Most of the information you find on Satanism now days, you're either going to find LeVey Satanism or Devil Worshiping. There's a couple different types, some more interesting in others. I grew up in an area that was over Christian zealous, and I got labeled a Satanist a lot, so I figured the best way to defend myself was through knowledge, though I did find I agree with LeVey Satanism a lot, lolz.

#19 TheOn3LeftBehind

TheOn3LeftBehind

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:14 AM

That is very interesting! You seriously do learn something new everyday (well the first part I learned from). And for the second part, that's what I was trying to say, only in a bad way as I have a hard time explaining myself xD I read a lot about Lucifer's originality, especially Lucifer being a synonym for Venus and the bringer of light and therefore knowledge, etc. I was trying to say that because Satan is called the light bearer, many believe Lucifer to be synonymous with Satan in it's newest sense (the Christian meaning) instead of reading about Lucifer's past meaning and therefore Luciferian Witchcraft is now seen as a "left hand path."

Woman, I saw you riding on a fence switch with loose hair and belt, in the troll skin, at the time when day and night are equal.” -Reference from C. E. Law of Vastgotaland

#20 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:26 PM

I know I just complained about people quoting huge amounts of text, but this post by o_O is good and speaks to some of the conversation about djinn. Besides, I thought it would be interesting to bump this thread anyway. :)

That's not entirely true. Satan is actually the westernized spelling of Shaitan, pronounced pretty much the same way. Shaitan is of the djinn(I believe fire djinn if I remember correctly) or is what we call a genie, and djinn have been around in ancient arabic longer thn Christianity has been. If you don't know, djinn don't pop out of lamps and give you wishes. They're summoned and will give you what you want, but they take something in return, sort of a trade, though with djinn like Shaitan, you always get shafted with the trade in price. That's part of where selling or trading your soul to Satan comes from. Shaitan is also used in Islamic terms for a devil or demon, though the word orginally comes from arabic and means hidden.

Also, while there the idea of the Devil named Satan is mostly Christian, there's a universal theme that's been around since man had the idea of worshiping something, because like Newton put forth, for every action you have something equal, but the opposite. So if there's something completely good, then there has to be something completely evil, it could be said that evil was just given a name.

This is true, but to be exact, Lucifer doesn't have any connection with Christianity, except through bad translating(which the bible is full of). Satan is an angel, to some scholars, an arch angel in fact, and in original texts he is not referred to as Lucifer. He is referred to as being the light bearer, which Lucifer means but the angel was never called by name. In original texts he it is said the light bearer is cast down and God renames him Satan and now he gets to hover/fly over the abyss for all eternity. Unfortunately since the angel that became Satan was called the light bearer and Lucifer's name means that, the two were put together, thus tying them together just like they tied Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit all into being the same entity. So Satan is one person, the Devil is another, and Lucifer is someone else completely and has been framed all this time.