#1 Luna

Luna

LunaTechChick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:44 AM

http://www.hayhouse....ils.php?id=3908

Anyone familiar with this deck? Considering picking one up. I have a few decks & just don't get anything from them. Maybe I just suck at Tarot! LOL! :lolol:

"I'm not saying, I'm just saying..."

#2 LightBurner

LightBurner

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:28 AM

http://www.hayhouse....ils.php?id=3908

Anyone familiar with this deck? Considering picking one up. I have a few decks & just don't get anything from them. Maybe I just suck at Tarot! LOL! :lolol:

Yes, I have this deck... I have to say that I love it!... It's a really easy one to get to know/learn coz the beautiful images are really self-explanatory lol... nonetheless, I'm what another member calls an "intuitive reader"... I basically let the cards speak to me... I feel their energies/vibrations...

I have to say that, when I want to buy a deck, I let the deck call to me... I check the different decks available and I buy the one I feel pull toward it... I've used this method for so long now and every time I get great results with the deck that I end up buying...

If you have the opportunity to go to a store that sells decks, then check to see if they have one of this deck open to check the cards and get a feel of them... You'll probably know then if you want it or not... I personally suggest letting your intuition guide you on this...

Anyway, I personally recommend this deck... you'll probably like it... just make sure you check the return policy in case that you end up not liking it...

#3 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

Bump rather than start another thread on oracle cards.

I rather dislike oracle cards. I own a few decks and occasionally pull a single card as a quick reading but I have found every deck I have ever come across to be relentlessly positive. This makes them hard to use for divinatory or warning purposes as anything negative seems to be discounted from the start. I always feel half the deck is missing and I'm being given a skewed perspective on what I am doing. I also find some of the decks to be a bit silly giving buzz worded generic advice like "Work hard and you will achieve results." (well duur...) There is very little interpretation needed as required with tarot or runes, each card seems to be have one meaning only and that is usually written down neatly at the bottom of the card. To be fair some of the pictures are lovely but I've got books of art for that sort of thing.

(Incidentally I'm also not sure Doreen Virtue (who seems to be the author of 80% of the packs of oracle cards on the market) and I would get along. She's a bit jolly hockey sticks, a bit everything in the garden is lovely.  Kind of a new age Pollyanna...)

Does anybody find a genuine worth in oracle cards and find them useful on their path? I'm open to the idea I might be missing something or perhaps oracle cards are just something that do not work for me.

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#4 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:18 PM

No.  I was given some but I don't use them.  I prefer runes lately as they are more primal and equally weighted in positivity and negativity. 

#5 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

a bit everything in the garden is lovely.

I like this phrase.

I have never used oracle decks so I'm afraid I can't actually be of help. Do you ever use tarot? I know this isn't what you're looking for, but in the situation of a one-card reading simply using a tarot deck may be very useful. I'm attracted to the idea of having my usual tarot deck for readings and another meant to be used as an oracle instead.

You may be familiar with Aeclectic Tarot. It is a site I used to be a member of, it has an active and helpful community forum. They also have a monstrous list of tarot and oracle decks you can browse to see the artwork, it might give a good jumping off point to find oracles that speak to you. Many of the decks have links to purchase but some do not. (Funny... Doreen Virtue's page has 10 angel decks, 1 goddess deck, 3 mythical creature decks, and one mention of dolphins. No wonder you aren't a fan!)

This Daemon oracle just caught my eye, perhaps you will like it as well :D

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#6 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:01 PM

Do you ever use tarot? I know this isn't what you're looking for, but in the situation of a one-card reading simply using a tarot deck may be very useful. 

Yes, I generally use the tarot  for the intermediate one card readings between more formal spreads. It works well for me. I think what I'm curious about is the actual role intended for the oracle cards. I'm interested in what people who use them actually use them for and what value they place on an interpretation of the card that always seem to lack the 'depth' 'of a Tarot card in my eyes. I suppose I'm interested in - why use oracle cards if you own a tarot deck..? Do they serve a different purpose on some paths?

Wexler - the link to the daemon cards is lovely, beautifully illustrated. Thank you for sharing x

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.