Dawn

What are you reading ATM

Perdurabo, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Life of Aleister Crowley by Richard Kaczynsk

I picked up the "immortal life of nicholas flamel" by michael scott as a fluff read, but may check out the rest of the series for fun and i'm reading one of my usual re-reads sherlock holmes.

I picked up the "immortal life of nicholas flamel" by michael scott as a fluff read, but may check out the rest of the series for fun and i'm reading one of my usual re-reads sherlock holmes.

Ah, LOVE Sherlock. Not the new UK series, though - that was pants IMHO. I'm still reading The Wise Woman, taking ages becaus I'm pretty shattered after work these days. I picked up another book at work - The Lost Art of Enochian Magic - Angels, Invocations and the Secrets Revealed to Dr John Dee (with accompanying CD) by John DeSalvo, Ph.D...anyone else got it? or heard of him? Even Amazon didn't have customer reviews or anything of worth on an author's page. I'm going to finish the book I'm on first before I look at it in depth. One of my side-lines in interest is the "old men" of magic...Dee, Agrippa etc

Just ordered "Communing With the Spirits: The Magical Practice of Necromancy" by Martin Coleman and I can't wait until it gets here! It was recommended on a Hoodoo mailing group for anyone wanting to learn to work with spirits, ancestors, and graveyards. Read the first couple of chapters before I bought and it looks quite promising. It seems to be broken down into "lessons", with the first being to learn as much as you can about any deceased relatives you have and learn about who they are, how they lived, etc.

After a recent trip to Glastonbury I had to pick up a copy of Barbara Erskine's 'Times Legecy' a Supernatural/Historical tale set around a young present day Priest in the Church of England who is sent to a Glastonbury retreat by the church after being accused of Witchcraft by her obsessed boss, with the aid of a magickal crystal she watches a story from the past of a druidess unfold before her. I loved the descriptions of Glastonbury past and present (made me want to go back immediately) and the time hopping. I read the book in record time, definitely her best book to date.

Just ordered "Communing With the Spirits: The Magical Practice of Necromancy" by Martin Coleman and I can't wait until it gets here! It was recommended on a Hoodoo mailing group for anyone wanting to learn to work with spirits, ancestors, and graveyards. Read the first couple of chapters before I bought and it looks quite promising. It seems to be broken down into "lessons", with the first being to learn as much as you can about any deceased relatives you have and learn about who they are, how they lived, etc.

I have to get my hands on that book too! I'm currently reading a few tarot books because I recently bought a tarot deck (the Paulina Tarot!). It's working surprisingly well. Reading Paul Quinn's "Tarot for Life" (such a cheesy title, but the content is pretty good!) and starting Mary K. Greer's "The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals." Good books for any tarot beginner, I'd say.

...I'm currently reading a few tarot books because I recently bought a tarot deck (the Paulina Tarot!). It's working surprisingly well. Reading Paul Quinn's "Tarot for Life" (such a cheesy title, but the content is pretty good!) and starting Mary K. Greer's "The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals." Good books for any tarot beginner, I'd say.

I love the Paulina! Ironically, it's not my usual style, being a bit twee, but I just love the colors and all the characters of this deck... I really enjoy working with it. Wonderful deck!

Back on topic... I'm now reading 13 Moons by Fiona Walker-Craven. Only read a few chapters so far, but what a wonderful little book. Even though it's categorized as a 'beginner' book, it's filled with some very practical advice, and has reminded me to not over complicate things. Definitely a great book if your new to Witchcraft and want to bypass the usual Wicca related stuff.

I need to run through this thread with pen and paper ... there are such good title suggestions here.

I'm reading through The Temple of High Witchcraft: Ceremonies, Spheres and The Witches' Qabalah by Christopher Penczak. I own two other Penczak titles (his Reiki book and the first in his Temple series) and seem to enjoy his writing voice and the way he organizes his books. I'm making my way through this book ... it's an enjoyable read and I like his suggested exercises he includes. I don't think I'll buy this book ... I think I'm going to first explore the texts mentioned in Penczak's bibliography.

I just started reading A.F.Scott's "Witch,Spirit,Devil" Amazingly historically accurate (and I had just bought it for the pictures) and it's incredible to see the things that led to the witch hunts and the assumptions that were made. It has so far been a really good read.

Guest Magdalena

Well today my uncle gave me a gift, he said he saw it while he was out and about and it made him think of me. The gift is a book called `The Element Encyclopedia Of 5000 Spells` by Judika Illes. So I shall be spending a lot of time browsing through it. 

Guest Ophelia

Well today my uncle gave me a gift, he said he saw it while he was out and about and it made him think of me. The gift is a book called `The Element Encyclopedia Of 5000 Spells` by Judika Illes. So I shall be spending a lot of time browsing through it.

I have that book as well Magdalena, I use it all the time...esp for references and "tweaking" a spell...enjoy!

Guest Magdalena

I have that book as well Magdalena, I use it all the time...esp for references and "tweaking" a spell...enjoy!

Thank you 

I have had a quick browse through it and it seems packed with information. I read Judika Illes bio also on the net and she seems a very interesting lady.

I HAVE to re-read Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone for a course I'm doing. Seriously! Peter Rabbit and Swallows and Amazons are on the set list too :D

I HAVE to re-read Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone for a course I'm doing. Seriously! Peter Rabbit and Swallows and Amazons are on the set list too :D

What sort of course requires Harry Potter and Peter Rabbit? Just being nosey.

What sort of course requires Harry Potter and Peter Rabbit? Just being nosey.

Maybe a course on children's literature???

Just to stay on topic: Still on tarot books, lol! Reading Mary K. Greer's Tarot for Your Self now; so far not bad, but I don't know if I buy into the whole bunch of stuff like determining your "soul" and "personality" cards right now, but I do appreciate her exercises in getting to know the tarot meanings better. And starting to read Christopher Penczak's The Outer Temple of Witchcraft." I got a really good impression of his writings when I previewed his "Inner Temple" book through Google and since my library only had the "Outer Temple," I just got that to tide me over for now.

Just finished The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland. Really good read... a bit Wicker Man, but not. I had never heard of beguines before and it mentioned toadmen, although the explanation at the back said they wear the toad next to their chests until it turns to bones..no source given for that, unfortunately.

Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan

The Way of the Wizard by Deepak Chopra (again, after about 15 years)

The Other by Ryszard Kapuscinski ( not "other" as we would think of it, but recognising ourselves by meeting foreigners, basically)

Harry Potter!!! :roflhard: no seriously, "Once Upon......" and carn't remember the author. Its a good story though, I'l edit this post with the author when I get chance.

I've been racing through a new-ish series (still being written as there was a new installment out in the summer) called "The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel". Teenager books, truth be told, but fun reading. The author has a solid historical background and an obvious passion for mythology...the Morrigan, The Horned God, Hekate, the Witch of Endor, Mars Ultor and various famous humans (Shakespeare, Machiavelli, John Dee) make appearances. Good fun.

Guest Magdalena

I have not long finished the Weather Warden series by `Rachel Caine` nine books in all, fantasy novels about the supernatural, power and the forces of nature, even though they are fantasy novels there is a lot of knowledge in them about weather patterns and what causes storms/tornadoes and such.

Guest Chatters

I'm reading The Historian By Elizabeth Kostova - love it, have read it a fair bit before but love it so much, have read it again and again.