Dawn

What are you reading ATM

Walking the Tides: Seasonal Rhythms and Traditional Lore - (Love it!!)

by - Nigel G. Pearson.

I've been meaning to get this, but haven't gotten around to doing so yet. Read Treading the Mill and liked it, so I thought this would be a good read as well. Have to work on getting a copy.

The Haunted: A Social History of Ghosts by Owen Davies...not REALLY my thing, but I've got his other books. It's curse being such a completist, sometimes...:)

Yeh its really interesting! I really want to get the Author's other book too as it looks equally good!

I've got both and they are great. The first has been slated on another thread on here but then we won't all agree. There is some great stuff in it and like all "how to" books you take what you like or can adapt and ignore the rest. Both are well worth getting in my opinion.

Currently reading Opuscula Magica - Andrew Chumbley

Old Tradition Crafte - Robin Artisan

and for fun - Fire Study - Maria Snyder

Today I got Russell Lyon's The Quest for the Original Horse Whisperers, which is excellent!!!! And...I'm on book 8 of Cate Tiernan's Sweep series (popcorn for the brain).

Guest Magdalena

Nocturne `Dark Awakenings`

Currently, I'm trying to muddle through Henry James' Portrait of a Lady. I adore Victorian novels, but goodness this one is dry! :cry_witch:

I am reading:

Treading the Mill by Nigel Pearson- excellent, and I may offer a review.

An Joan the Crone by Kelvin Jones - very interesting, I will review when I am done.

And a new discovery: "Devonshire and Other original Poems: with some account of ancient customs, superstitions and traditions" by an ancestor of mine: Elias Tozer in 1873. I found it on Google Books. He talks about witchcraft, horse whispering, etc. Neat!

Various articles and a couple books by Michael Ford as well as Practice of Magical Evocation by Franz Bardon.

Guest Magdalena

The Vampire Lestat by `Anne Rice` from The Vampire Chronicles.

The Visions of Isobel Gowdie: Magic, witchcraft and dark shamanism in seventeenth century Scotland" by Emma Wilby :)

FINALLY!!!! I've waited 2 years for this book :) *majorly happy bunny right now, especially as I'm off work for nine days from Sunday*

Guest Magdalena

The Queen Of The Damned by `Anne Rice` The Vampire Chronicles.

Now I'm reading "Beliefs and Superstitions Of The Pennsylvania Germans" by Edwin Miller Fogel and it's quite interesting so far:).

Along the way I also read a fantasy book by Wolfgang Hohlbein.

I am re-reading the Black Dagger Brotherhood Series, by J.R. Ward and have just finished " Lover Mine ".. in the series. I also have finished J.R. Ward's 1st book on the Fallen Angels. I just purchased and am awaiting Walking the Twilight Path, Gothic Book of the Dead. If you are familiar with Black Dagger Brotherhood Series, I suggest you find the Companion Book. It's superb.

Warmest Regards,

Gypsy

Reading "The Heroine's Journey" by Maureen Murdock. A bit like a female-version of the classic, "Iron John" by Robert Bly. "The Heroine's Journey" is a great book thats been helping me realize the importance feminity and learn to be proud of it. The book addresses problems with women today who try to be like men by becomming assertive, pushing their own needs and emotions away, and choosing to work or study in fields that are more "male dominated" jobs, such as business, and scienc. as a result, women begin to be ashamed of their own feminity. They begin to believe that being female meant weakness, being ruled by your emotions, being a "mother" or just being passive.

I releated a lot to those chapters. I grew up wanting to be like the boys and be accepted by my male peers. Now, men often compliment me on my knowledge of "male topics" like history, politics and the world, and I have always been proud of this but, "The Heroine's Journey" made me realize that I was, in a way, ashamed of my female-ness because I wanted so much to be accepted by men.

i always knew what it was to be a man, but have struggled with what it was to be female. All I could come up with was "Motherhood", and other things that had to do with a woman's appearance or sexuality. And I didn't like either of those explanations. This book also explained that in a way that made sense.

This is really a great read. I recommend it to all the lady-folk. :)

Victorian Pharmacy, the book of the BBC2 tv series...which I LOVE!

Wow. Didn't know there was a book specifically on the pharmaceuticals. Will have to take a look.

Just finished Paula Brackston's follow up to "Book of Shadows" called "Lamp Black, Wolf Grey"...set in Wales, standard time jumping format, good sense of place, nice lesson in not doing magic if you don't understand it..lost me a bit when the modern day heroine got impregnanted by Merlin, though...:)

ok i dont know if anyone else does this but i read at least 3 books at once and just switch from one to the other when i get to a boring bit :)

So atm i am reading:

City of Bones (bit young for me but a lite read)

Interview with a vampire (i know i know cant help myself, 5th time round)

The Occult (a mega thick book detailing all famous occultists and practices, really interesting)

Balkan Traditional Witchcraft by Radomir Ristic and Vices of my blood by Maureen Jennings:vhappywitch:

Now four chapters in to "The Wise Woman" by Philippa Gregory :) Liking it very muchly