Dawn

What are you reading ATM

Just finished "The Little Book of Bird Lore" by T.F. Thistleton-Dyer and am starting on "The Magic Arts in Celtic Britain" by Lewis Spence, written in the early part of the twentieth century, but still of interest.

Guest Magdalena

`Betrayed` by P.C and Kristin Cast.............

Guest Magdalena

`Chosen` by P.C and Kristin Cast......

Rowan, that sounds interesting! Perhaps you could do us a review when you have read it? Always assuming you have the time, that is!

Wil do it may take me a while though!

The Fiery Cross (From the Outlander series <3 I'd recommend to anyone)

Devil in a Blue Dress (for school)

Appalachian Folk Magick (a Llewellyn publication but, meh....I'm weeding out some interesting stuff.

I ordered "Earth Magic -A Wisewomans Guide to Herbal, Astrological and Other Folk Wisdom". Touted as information passed down thru "generations" of family tradition "sharing her rich heratage and drawing on a wealth of ancient wisdom"... uuhhhh no. It is something that would highly confuse the noob witchling. It is heavy on Godess stuff and christian angels/celebrations/"the virgin", while at the same time using the names of some of the seven "watchers". Highly contradictory. A wee bit of garden lore that's interesting, but most of it appears to be made up with each stroke of the pen.

The Wicker Man...and I can't get Christopher Lee out of my head, as Lord Summerisle. The other characters aren't nearly as strong as him.

Right now I am re reading the entire works of Poe! It's my prized possesion!

Damn it, I had Poe's Complete Works, a massive book that I had to donate to the local library before I moved to save space in the moving load... boy do I regret doing that now, as I never got round to reading it while I had it :frown:

ATM I'm reading The Secret :lol_witch: My mother-in-law has been a believer for ages and lent it to me... I must say it's been an interesting read in regards to all the connection points I find to magic, how it works (or at least how I've figured it does). And, funnily enough, they do tend to use the word magic in the book quite often as well...

Anyone else read The Secret? What did you make of it? Personally I take most of it with a bucketfull of salt and some parts really make me raise an eyebrow, but here and there there are some interesting ideas...

I haven't read The Secret...really should though, but I think it's based on an older work (1920s). Isn't it the law of attraction-type of stuff?

I'm reading a great book - Natural Dyes by Judy Hardman and Sally Pinhey (ISBN 9781847971005, ?14.99). They have such gorgeous illustrations of the plants, and show the end results too. Other books I've read on dyes just describe the colours you get, but this shows you the range you can get from one plant....rhubarb was a revelation!!! :) Not that I'm planning to go into wool/felt dyes or anything, but I thought it would be interesting for paper making. I love the handmade stuff that has leaves and petals in it :)

Defences Against the Witches' Craft by John Canard. Its about "anti-cursing charms from English folk magick, traditional witchcraft and the grimoire traditions." Have only read the intro so far, but at a quick glance through, it's seems to have quite a bit of information packed into this thin little book. Should be an interesting read.

Also picked up The ABC of Magic Charms by Elizabeth Pepper of The Witches Almanac. Basically, it's a little A-Z of magical symbols. Great little reference book.

Edited by Lela

Defences Against the Witches' Craft by John Canard. Its about "anti-cursing charms from English folk magick, traditional witchcraft and the grimoire traditions." Have only read the intro so far, but at a quick glance through, it's seems to have quite a bit of information packed into this thin little book. Should be an interesting read.

Oh, that's next after my current read. It looks very interesting indeed. I hope it's as good as it appears.

shame on you!!!!! Giving away Poe is blasphemy!!! LOL

Damn it, I had Poe's Complete Works, a massive book that I had to donate to the local library before I moved to save space in the moving load... boy do I regret doing that now, as I never got round to reading it while I had it :frown:

ATM I'm reading The Secret :lol_witch: My mother-in-law has been a believer for ages and lent it to me... I must say it's been an interesting read in regards to all the connection points I find to magic, how it works (or at least how I've figured it does). And, funnily enough, they do tend to use the word magic in the book quite often as well...

Anyone else read The Secret? What did you make of it? Personally I take most of it with a bucketfull of salt and some parts really make me raise an eyebrow, but here and there there are some interesting ideas...

Also picked up The ABC of Magic Charms by Elizabeth Pepper of The Witches Almanac. Basically, it's a little A-Z of magical symbols. Great little reference book.

I LOVE that book...it scared a colleague of mine (young, naive Christian type) who opened it at the Hand of Glory page :)

There's another one by Elizabeth Pepper called Magic Spells and Incantations, as a companion book. It's good too.

Oh, that's next after my current read. It looks very interesting indeed. I hope it's as good as it appears.

I've gotten about half-way through the book this morning, up to the section on witch bottles, and so far I'm loving it! It's a very easy read and it's packed with some very good information like how to detect the person who may be doing the cursing. Definitely a keeper.

I LOVE that book...it scared a colleague of mine (young, naive Christian type) who opened it at the Hand of Glory page :)

There's another one by Elizabeth Pepper called Magic Spells and Incantations, as a companion book. It's good too.

I really like the ABC of Magic Charms and plan on looking into the other books from Elizabeth Pepper as well. They seem to be really good for reference.

The latest book that I got on a whim, is Witches by Erica Jong with illustrations by Joseph A. Smith. If ever there was a coffee table book on witches/witchcraft, this is it! It was originally published in 1981 and beautifully illustrated with witchy imagery. It's filled with stories, poetry and little tid-bits of information, including a couple of recipes for flying ointments. Ironically, the content is better than some of the garbage bandied about in books on witchcraft churned out en masse these days, and would more than likely easily offend the fluffies. It's been republished in paperback, but go for one of the hard cover editions, which you can easily get used for under $20 depending on condition. It's a fun addition to any witchy book collection.

Edited by Lela

I've gotten about half-way through the book this morning, up to the section on witch bottles, and so far I'm loving it! It's a very easy read and it's packed with some very good information like how to detect the person who may be doing the cursing. Definitely a keeper.

I finished it this morning and can highly recommend it. No preaching, just practical ways of preventing and combatting curses and hexes. I only had one small quibble on a historical matter, but other than that a superb book that every witch should own.

Walking the Tides: Seasonal Rhythms and Traditional Lore - (Love it!!)

by - Nigel G. Pearson.

Walking the Tides: Seasonal Rhythms and Traditional Lore - (Love it!!)

by - Nigel G. Pearson.

Ah! That's next for me. Wow, a lot of sychronisity occuring for me on this thread of late.

Ah! That's next for me. Wow, a lot of sychronisity occuring for me on this thread of late.

Yeh its really interesting! I really want to get the Author's other book too as it looks equally good!