Sign in to follow this  
Dawn

What are you reading ATM

Right now I'm reading a book on Gnosticism, a book on Theosophy (sp), and a fictional book that is kind of "Lord of the Rings" ish except the majority of the characters are gay. I usually read more than one book at a time, lol... and all on my Kindle. Lol - I just love my Kindle :-D

M

Everything I type is coming out backwards when I quick reply....

LOL, that's so wacky! Not once, but 3 times. I have to say, I'm finding it quite fascinating as to why it's happening, and each time it's about Neil Gaiman... weird. (Sorry for going OT)

Ok so maybe there's a we bit of self gratification and getting to return to my child hood I admit it - I'm on chapter 9 - Midlred has turned the nasty witches into snails!!

I have recently read the Pickingill Papers twice to make sure I got to grips with it. And I'm waiting for Alice Hoffmans practical magic to arrive any day now.

I love re-reading books from my childhood, The Secret Garden is one, Sara Crewe (which became A Little Princess) and The Wind in the Willows. Practical Magic, the book , is SO different from the film, I found it almost unrecognisable.

I just finished a most wonderful book! The Final Solution by Michael Chabon. It's an homage to Sherlock Holmes, my lifelong hero. Also just finished the newest Terry Pratchett novel, Unseen Academicals. Also entertaining, but not his best by far. I needed a break from the non-fiction...

I'm reading Carl Jung's" Synchronicity, An Acasual Connecting Principle" at the moment. Nearly done.

Next in line is Cunning-Folk: Popular Magic in English History by Owen Davies.

I've had Ronald Hutton's Triumph of the Moon forever, but still haven't read it. :rolleyes:

I finally started Owen Davies "Cunningfolk, Popular Magic in English History" last night.

It's a great read, thoroughly researched with tons of scholarly references throughout. I get the sense this guy really did his homework.

Guest Magdalena
I've just bought L.J. Smith's Dark Visions which is going to be my book at bedtime, I'm also re-reading Hitty by Rachel Field for my inner child at the mo!

My Sister bought me `Dark Visions` for my birthday but she has given it to me early so I started reading it last night, I am hooked from the start.

I just read Practical magic yesterday and yes it was so much different from the book.. I like both versions

I need a new book now so off to Amazon we go!!

I finished Synchronicity, so now I'm on the Cunningfolk book by Owen Davies, finally! I've had it for a year, only now getting to it.

My buying eyes are much larger than my reading eyes, lol.. I buy way more books at a time than I can possilby read!

Before Synchoronicity, I had read "Nordic Runes" by Paul Rhys Mountfort, that was actually a pretty good rune book; in fact, one of the better ones, IMO. Worth getting if you're a runester.

Before that, "78 Degrees of Wisdom", a classic for Tarot.

I'm about to read Kissed By An Angel!

I have Dark Visions but haven't started reading it, will try and squeeze it in this week!

It was pay day so I spurged (still reading Drood by Dan Simmons too...I fear it might be sidelined fairly soon)

"A New Orleans Voudou Priestess: The Legend and Reality of Marie Leveau" by Carolyn Morrow Long

"Mysteries and Secrets of Voodoo, Santeria and Obeah" by Lionel & Patricia Fanthorpe

"The Art and Practice of Geomancy" by John Michael Greer

"Carmina Gadelica: Hymns and Incantations" by Alexander Carmichael.

And Ben at Caduceus has a little something set aside for me too :)

Edited by Marion
typos...it's late!!!

I know its not related to witchcraft at all, but I just finished reading Jack London's White Fang. What an amazing book! London describes action sequences and the way his main character White Fang preciseness the world around him in such a masterful way. The book had such heart and emotion, I could just feel the pain and anger his main character suffered just by the descriptions London used.

I'm also part of a book club with my boyfriend and a few friends, so now I'm going to start reading Wicked, The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. It sounds like a cute book, plus my boyfriend's sister has nothing but good things to say about it, though I'm pretty sure thats also because she's such a huge Wizard of Oz fan :)

My loving wife managed to get hold of a copy of Azoetia as a gift for me

Which hopefully i will be studying later on today if all goes well here at work

I am looking forward to it.

My loving wife managed to get hold of a copy of Azoetia as a gift for me

Which hopefully i will be studying later on today if all goes well here at work

I am looking forward to it.

OH, you LUCKY thing!!!! nobody loves me that much... :(

Im reading, 'ask and it is given' author Esther Hicks and her hubby.

If you take no notice of the god reference, or maybe your 'god' is something totally different then the christian take on things, there are actually some excellent ideas, and theories in the book regarding the law of attraction. Its probably what we all know already about attracting things to ourselves, focus, visualisation and the absolute belife that you will get what you desire.

Interesting read very similiar to the way that i work magickally.

I'm now well into Ronald Hutton's "Triumph of the Moon".. ..about time too!

Fascinating read. It started off pretty slow and boring in the first chapter, ("Finding a Language") but quickly picked up after that with (IMO) more interesting and informative content. Just the way the book is structured to steadily build it's case is impressive alone.

Guest Magdalena

`Evermore` by Alyson Noel, for pleasure and `Scrying` by Benjamin Rowe, for Knowledge. :0).

I am reading " Alchemy of the Nine Dimensions" by Barbara Hand Clow. It's interesting. Reminds me of the Don Juan / Castenena books. It is fun to read multiple books simutaneously and the Kindle makes it so easy!

Kindle? Boo!

Sony Reader person, me...but Michele has a Kindle too, I think.

I've finished reading "Stick, Stones, Roots and Bones"...a bit pants. "The Horsemen's Word" is rather interesting on the initiations but light on stuff about horses....don't know why I expected examples, but I did and there were nowt. However, it a lovely book and I'm a happy bunny.

Now I can see (I've got glasses- my eyes are getting old and need help1) I'm starting on the Secret Commonwealth of Elves, Fauns and Fairies by Robert Kirk. Because I've suddenly got interested in them and Robert Kirk was/is from the next village over the pass.

Kirk is mentioned a lot in The Gaelic Otherworld (at least in the intro) which I've started, after a quick run of Susan Hill novels and short stories. I WAS tempted to skip the chapters on fairies as the "fey/fae" have never floated my boat, but hey ho! it's all knowledge, right?

Rowan, that sounds interesting! Perhaps you could do us a review when you have read it? Always assuming you have the time, that is!

Sign in to follow this