Sign in to follow this  
Dawn

What are you reading ATM

My to-be-read short-stacks occupy a side table. One stack is titles like: Liars, leakers & Liberals, Family of Secrets-the Bush presidencies, Killing the Deep State & The Federalist Papers. In the other stack there's the Witch's Book of the Dead, Ecstasies-2nd read-thru, Sanctuaries of the Goddess, Earth Lines, some mythology & a thin book on Thought Forms. The currently open books are Lines of the Land (bedside-table), Magicians of the Gods re: Gobekli Tepi (bathroom), & I'm still slowly plodding thru Cunning Folk & Familiar Spirits (chair-side). I took a break & read a couple light weight cozy murder mysteries earlier this week and am almost done with an e-book Templar Treasure adventure The Last Crypt.

Edited by Zombee

Guest NatureMama

I'm working through "The Dark Side of the Light Chasers" by Deborah Ford, which is about shadow work. And a light fiction book called "An Unremembered Grave" by Abigail Padgett, which is a supernatural mystery.

Southern Folk Medicine by Phyllis Light. It is a very interesting journey through her life growing up in northern Alabama, and the fascinating fusion of European, African, and Native American traditions of healing that developed here.

I recently finished reading. "Apocalyptic Witchcraft" by Peter Grey about two weeks ago.

At the moment I am reading "Grimoires: A history of magic books" by Owen Davies. its pretty academic, but intresting none the less.

Guest NatureMama

After seeing a video interview with Monica Gagliano the author of "Thus Spoke the Plant; A REMARKABLE JOURNEY OF GROUNDBREAKING SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERIES AND PERSONAL ENCOUNTERS WITH PLANTS", I've put her book on my next to read list.

If you search for her name on youtube a handful of video interviews and talks will come up.

Her book is about the studies she has done that show that plants have intelligence, including the ability to learn, remember, and make decisions all without a brain or nervous system. It's really interesting and I feel further collaborates with the idea that plants have their own form of consciousness.  

Ooh, I just listened to her interview on Rune Soup and ordered it from the library. 

After seeing a video interview with Monica Gagliano the author of "Thus Spoke the Plant; A REMARKABLE JOURNEY OF GROUNDBREAKING SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERIES AND PERSONAL ENCOUNTERS WITH PLANTS"

It really is interesting what is being discovered about plants these days!  I read an article a while back about "dead" stumps that were actually still alive, because the other trees in their local group were feeding it from connections between root systems.  And another article further back on how trees can communicate about insect and disease threats.  

There's a whole lot more going on with our quiet green brethren than is obvious to we "hasty" folks.  

As far as magical things go, I'm reading "Besom, Stang and Sword".

Fictionwise, I'm halfway through Dune.

• Upvote 1

ok i dont know if anyone else does this but i read at least 3 books at once and just switch from one to the other when i get to a boring bit :)

So atm i am reading:

City of Bones (bit young for me but a lite read)

Interview with a vampire (i know i know cant help myself, 5th time round)

The Occult (a mega thick book detailing all famous occultists and practices, really interesting)

Interview and Queen of the Damned were better than Lestat, but read all 3.  :)  She even has some "adult" books under a different pen name, if interested.

I have been working on Ovid's Metamorphoses.  Greek mythology.  Great stories.  One of my fave stories growing up were of Echo and Narcissus.  I was pleased to find this story within this book.  :)  

I have a small library of books I need to read.  I used to collect them avidly, but couldn't read them fast enough.  

Now...my fave book I own is an early 1900's Clinical Toxicology book.  I would say that it would be a good witchy book to have on hand.  Has medical implications for all poisons/toxins.  One of my other faves on my shelf is Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic: A Materia Magica of African-American Conjure by Catherine Yronwode...that I also recommend as a reference manual.

Edited by SabinaLea
  • Upvote 1

Illustrated Encyclopedia of Traditional Symbols by J.C. Cooper.

I have owned this one for many years but I find it to be a great reference and design source.

My latest compulsion is experimenting with divination through symbolic sets consisting of combinations of runes, ogham,  tarot, alchemical and Egyptian heiroglyphs.

• Upvote 1

I'm usually reading a few things at a time. Currently, I'm reading three books. I'm slowly working my way through A Gathering of Shadows, second book in the Shades of Magic series by V.E. Schwab. The chapters in all the books in this series are very short, so it's good for bedtime reading. I just restarted Hounded, first book in the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. And I'm finally actually getting a chance to read The Ballad of Frankie Silver, by Sharyn McCrumb, which I encountered as part of my thesis research.

Just finished John Becket's 'Path of paganism' which was decent, a wee bit waffle-y at times but all in all, some useful key points for (especially) newer people starting out to consider and  some other thought provoking points for me.

Going to read his 'Paganism in depth' next, then re-read Aiden's '6-ways'

I also read multiple books at once... today though I've been focusing on "The Power" by Naomi Alderman. It popped up randomly while I was making a multiple-book order, and figured I'd try it. The premise is that, worldwide, women and girls start developing, and being born with, a new organ that allows them to channel deadly electrical energy through their hands. A main character in the book that becomes a spiritual leader takes it upon herself to regender God as "She," which reminds me of "God Herself" in Feri. So far it's an easy and fun fiction read, which is a relief from the heavy material I usually keep around.

Sign in to follow this