Sign in to follow this  
Dawn

What are you reading ATM

I'm currently reading the Hollow's series from Kim Harrison. I'm up to Black Magic Sanction and then moving onto Pale Demon. I love her books and have all of them up to Pale Demon.

I am currently reading:

Bliss Now by Swami Ramanadana

It's a great read to me. I have always held a fascination with Hinduism and particularly the goddess Durga and her incarnation of karni mata. Though neither of them feature in this book.

However, it's a nice book about setting up a hindi altar and how to give prayer, offering, etc to the gods. Different forms of yoga and meditations.

It isnt fluffy in the new age Wiccan sense. But it is full of love and light messages. Focusing on enlightenment and such.

I found this at my local Thrift Shop of all places. LoL ! Of course it came home with me. One can not buy a cup of good coffee for what I paid for this little treasure.

The Pickingill Papers : The Origin of the Gardnerian Craft, by W.E. Liddell.....Compiled and edited by Michael Howard. 1994

Regards,

Gypsy

• Upvote 1

I found this at my local Thrift Shop of all places. LoL ! Of course it came home with me. One can not buy a cup of good coffee for what I paid for this little treasure.

The Pickingill Papers : The Origin of the Gardnerian Craft, by W.E. Liddell.....Compiled and edited by Michael Howard. 1994

Regards,

Gypsy

Awesome find!

Awesome find!

I KNOW.... I could almost hear our Peer whispering to me..." Hey CG...here I am..I need to be in your Library " LOL !

Regards,

Gypsy

Why dose that name ring a bell? Must have read it on here.oh well never mind. Tell me if its a good read CG.well done on your little gem.

Why dose that name ring a bell? Must have read it on here.oh well never mind. Tell me if its a good read CG.well done on your little gem.

A little bit of info

Gosh,im being a right twat,lol thanks for that.

Better right twat than wrong twat . . . :)

A Pictorial History of Burlesque 1956 by Bernard Sobel

Picked up Modern Magick by Donald Michael Kraig the other day. I thought it was going to be decent for the first few pages, but then it started talking about white and black magic, and how you should never do black magic. It then gave instructions for a ritual invoking archangels. dry.gif Turned off my Kindle and went and got my money back.

The next day I bought Natural Witchery by Ellen Dugan. Ugh, so much fluff. Reeeefuuuund.

Now after going through this thread I've added at least a dozen new books to my wishlist...no idea which one to get first! I wish more books were available for Kindle though.

I've been reading dies the fire. Its actually pretty good but the wiccan community piss me of occasionally with their merry meets and merry parts....Though they supposedly get pretty badass later on

Just received in the mail,"Veneficium: Magic, Witchcraft, and the Poison Path" by Daniel A. Schulke. Not far into it yet, but I'm liking it.

Trance-Portation by Diana L Paxson I'm only in the beginning of it so I can't say if it has good and needed information but so far I do like her writing style and the steps she has laid out to begin with/become acquainted with before starting. If I understand correctly she is a Norse Recon type but she goes from a few angles suggesting that if you are Wiccan or Ceremonial to do things this way, if you are Hellenic this way, if you are Norse this way, etc etc etc. I'm not finding it overly New Age-y at all; or at least not yet.

Picked up Modern Magick by Donald Michael Kraig the other day. I thought it was going to be decent for the first few pages, but then it started talking about white and black magic, and how you should never do black magic. It then gave instructions for a ritual invoking archangels. dry.gif Turned off my Kindle and went and got my money back.

Haven't read this one so take it with a grain of salt but I have heard that it does have a few gems. "Fluff" books are predominant in the market, certainly, but can still have some things of value in them. However, if you don't want to read anything with a remote hint of fluffy material I wouldn't even bother with Llewellyn at all.

Pagan Dreams. got it mixed up with Voodoo Dreams and downloaded to my kindle. It turns out to be a very explicit (hard core) Lesbian S&M novel :jawdrop: . Why call it Pagan Dreams ???? I know what I'd call it but we are in public so will refrain :whistling:

(hears the click of the keyboard whilst members log in to amazon to check it out :naughty: )

I bought three books today:

1. Grimoires: A History of Magic Books by Owen Davies. I am excited about this one. I started a thread of its own for this one.

2. Magical Housekeeping by Tess Whitehurst:. Returning tonight. Not worth reading. I thought I could use a little something light as my house is for sale and I am looking for another one. I am having open houses every week, and quite frankly I hate having strangers in my house. Worse, when I am not home. Anyway, I had decided to order it for pick up, but I spent 30 minutes skimming it when I got home and it is not for me. I think most traditional witch's would rather a SRW book to this one. For example, here is the Simple House *Blessing*: 12 sticks of incense and a rosemary bundle by your door. Then, you say: "I call on angels, fairies, and divine beings of light. You are welcome here. This home is blessed, and all good things shall flourish within its walls. It is done. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Blessed be. And so it is."

I truly gave up on finding anything of use when I got to the attracting love ritual which calls for fancy pink glitter from the craft store.

I mean, I knew it was a Wiccan book. But I hoping for something a little more substantial in the way of recipes and whatnot. Further, her examples at the beginning about mundane decluttering were basic common sense. Throw out old receipts? Um. Ok. Not worth $17. just another pile of Wiccan poop.

There are plenty of Wiccan books with enough bits of good to keep, but not this one.

3. Practical Protection Magick by Ellen Dugan. This is a Wiccan author which you can often find usefulness in her books. But this one is too Wiccan. I guess it would need to be or she might lose some followers. Im going to return this one tonight and pick up Protection & Reversal Magick by Jason Miller instead.

Trance-Portation by Diana L Paxson I'm only in the beginning of it so I can't say if it has good and needed information but so far I do like her writing style and the steps she has laid out to begin with/become acquainted with before starting. If I understand correctly she is a Norse Recon type but she goes from a few angles suggesting that if you are Wiccan or Ceremonial to do things this way, if you are Hellenic this way, if you are Norse this way, etc etc etc. I'm not finding it overly New Age-y at all; or at least not yet.

Haven't read this one so take it with a grain of salt but I have heard that it does have a few gems. "Fluff" books are predominant in the market, certainly, but can still have some things of value in them. However, if you don't want to read anything with a remote hint of fluffy material I wouldn't even bother with Llewellyn at all.

Hmm thanks; oddly it didn't delete itself even though I got a refund so maybe I'll skim through it again.

I just got a book called "Wicked Plants: The A-Z of Plants that Kill, Maim, Intoxicate and Otherwise Offend" - seems very interesting. ^_^

I love that book!

I just got a book called "Wicked Plants: The A-Z of Plants that Kill, Maim, Intoxicate and Otherwise Offend" - seems very interesting. ^_^

Why do I not have this?!?!?

I just bought ten books today (Ebay).. some are repeats of books I use to own but I lost a box of books in a move, but right now I am reading Grimoires: A History of Magic by Owen Davies and Protection & Reversal Magic by Jason Miller.

Sign in to follow this