Sign in to follow this  
Dawn

What are you reading ATM

Me three. Except I am not reading anything nearly as enlightening as either of those series LOL. I am indulging in some Vaginal Fantasy. This month's pick is "Slave to Sensation" (I have a weak spot for crappy and smutty fantasy romance novels, what can I say?)

Haha, nice! We all need some smut and fantasy now and then. ;)

I'm just finishing the last book in the series Fire and Ice, by George R R Martin. I know, I know.. lot's of characters. Once I got past the introduction of these continuing characters, it was quite a good read. Each character takes a Path in this series, and I find myself caught up with their emotions as well as their journey.

It's not Lord of the Rings by any mean, but a good read, I think.

There is one character who is a Witch for a self appointed King, when she deems to knock of an opposing character, who just "might" stand in the way of her affections and manipulations of this self appointed King, she instructs a Knight of sorts to take her out into a boat just far enough away from the opposers castle. In the floating boat, she begins to give birth to a Shadow, who comes from her loins, and slithers across the waves. up the castle keep, into the window and engulfs the opposer, causing his death.

Lots of intreguing political plots and twists of the characters Fate/Destiny. I found myself rooting for some of the most undesirable characters in the books, and some of the nicer ones, I was over joyed at their fear of " The Others ".

I liked the house sigils for each of the Houses that the characters belong to, and their motto's.

Once I've completed this read, I'm turning to a book called " Tales of the Yanomami " Daily life in the Venezuelan Forest, by Jacques Lizot. Translated from the French to English, in 1985, by the Cambridge University Press. This book focuses on three areas of Yanomami life : daily experience in the village; shamanism, magic, and sorcery; and relations of war and alliance with other villages.

Regards,

Gypsy

There is one character who is a Witch for a self appointed King,

Melisandre. I almost chose that as my screen name when I changed it this last time.

I found the latest book, #5, to be a big let down. He is suppose to finish up the series in the next two books but has said he may extend it. If he turns into Robert Jordan and just goes on and on I will be pissed!

Season 2 of the series based on this book series is airing on HBO April 1st. It isn't coming fast enough :-/

Melisandre. I almost chose that as my screen name when I changed it this last time.

I found the latest book, #5, to be a big let down. He is suppose to finish up the series in the next two books but has said he may extend it. If he turns into Robert Jordan and just goes on and on I will be pissed!

Season 2 of the series based on this book series is airing on HBO April 1st. It isn't coming fast enough :-/

That be the one, Marabet. Melisandre. Yeah my sister was disappointed too, what I found was that in the beginning of book 5 while I was hungry to see what had happened to the Imp and others, Mr. Martin... recaptured alot from the last book ( book 4 ) into ( book 5 ) about the first 70 pages or so. I felt like.................. " Hey... I read this before..wtf? " I was told that because there was a span of years between book 4 and 5, Mr. Martin thought it was better to brush up the readers recollection. Well that's all and good, however some of us do have more than the attention span of a gnat, so I was a bit put out in that regard.:dry:

Kate and I have a running joke about Aeron Damphair, and the Drowned God. It seemed that every other character regarding those Water People, would reference this saying " As the Drowned God wills it "... Hey Marabet, wanna go for coffee? "As the Drowned God, wills it ". We found that quite comical.

I heard book 5 is his last book, the final book, as he is in the process of combining the entire series of Fire and Ice, and doing it in a comic book medium, complete with artist renditions and such. I've googled some of the comic artists work, looking for inspiration of Weir Trees, and attempting my hand at utilizing that with a bed skirt ruffle for a day bed.

Yes I can't wait either, for the new season !

Regards,

Gypsy

I heard book 5 is his last book, the final book, as he is in the process of combining the entire series of Fire and Ice, and doing it in a comic book medium, complete with artist renditions and such.

The series is being turned into a graphic novel the first of which comes out at the end of this month but there will be more books. Here is a sample chapter from the next book the author posted on his site: Winds of Winter: Theon

I read the Game of Thrones series when they first came out. Now that there's a show, I find I'd rather watch it than re-read the books. Which is funny -- because I reread books all the time (otherwise I trade them in to the used book store so I can get trading credit for *more* books. :grin_witch:)

Right now I am waiting for Flame of Sevenwaters by Juliet Marillier to come out. While I wait, I think I'll tackle The Bridei Chronicles because that's her only series that I haven't read.

eta: in case you wonder, Juliet Marillier writes mainly historical fantasy set in "dark ages" British Isles.

Edited by Kupala

I'm trying to make my way through Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition. John Baptista Porta's Natural Magick, West Country Witches and Agrippa's Three Books of Occult Philosophy. West Country Witches has been an awesome read.

The True Grimoire - Jake Stratton-Kent

I watched a video of this guy doing a talk at the Scarlet Imprint's Summer of Love event, and he referred to himself as a hillbilly! That was enough for me to spend my money to check out his writing (plus I liked what he had to say). lol

The True Grimoire (Grimorium Verum) by Jake Stratton-Kent.

Well I broke down and downloaded book 5 to the Kindle and have started it... google says there are supposed to be 7 books but books 6 and 7 aren't written yet :-(

M

George R.R. Martin is so notoriously slow. :-( I'm waiting quite impatiently for his next book. However, I must remember (as Neil Gaiman reprimanded someone on his blog) that George R.R. Martin is not my bitch, and he will finish the book when he is damn good and ready!

How did you like Book 5, Michele?

I'm working on my ice and fire too! Really enjoying the books, and I like how I'm pretty much at the same exact point in the books as the tv series is. I've been meaning to read these for years now and luckily last christmas I got all the books that have come out!

They are one of the only books that I've honestly thrown down in anger and said, "GODDAMMIT! (Insert Author's Name Here)"

I am reading 'Nothing to Envy- lives in North Korea.' by Barbara Demick. Amazing, and I believe only about a pound on Kindle. If you are interested in East Asia, North Korea and its recent history please read this.

Downloaded a sample of The White Goddess. I don't like it. Tried Natural Magic by Nigel Pennick and don't like the sample. Any decent witchcraft books on Kindle? I am always dissapointed I think my expectations are too high and I am set in my ways.

I am reading 'Nothing to Envy- lives in North Korea.' by Barbara Demick. Amazing, and I believe only about a pound on Kindle. If you are interested in East Asia, North Korea and its recent history please read this.

Downloaded a sample of The White Goddess. I don't like it. Tried Natural Magic by Nigel Pennick and don't like the sample. Any decent witchcraft books on Kindle? I am always dissapointed I think my expectations are too high and I am set in my ways.

Don't know if they're your thing, but Scarlet Imprint is offering digital versions of their books now that work on Kindle.

Don't know if they're your thing, but Scarlet Imprint is offering digital versions of their books now that work on Kindle.

have you read the Red Goddess? that is the book that caught my interest on their site. I am trying not spend money until after May 20th when I get back from St. Martin. But i may have to splurge if you give it a good review.

have you read the Red Goddess? that is the book that caught my interest on their site. I am trying not spend money until after May 20th when I get back from St. Martin. But i may have to splurge if you give it a good review.

I haven't yet but it is one of the next ones I'm planning to get. :)

I've always had a close connection with Ishtar. She was the first Goddess (essence) to make contact with me in a trance. So when I saw the mention of going through the Ishtar Gate it immediately caught my attention. If you get it before I do (since I will probably withhold purchasing it till after vacation) please let me know your opinion of it.

Currently I'm reading Wyrdworking - the Path of a Saxon Sorcerer, by Alaric Albertsson.

I'll probably do a review on this later, when I'm done, but so far, a few chapters in.. I think I just may have found my niche!

I've already read his "Travels through Middle Earth" which was pretty good. It discussed Anglo Saxon lore, Wyrd, and so forth.

This book however deals directly with the magic - wortcunning, galdor, and leechcraft, but more over has a very heavy emphasis on the runes (yay); in this case, however, the Futhorc, not the Futhark, which is quite interesting.

You know how it is when you really resonate with an author's viewpoint? How nearly everything they write seems uncommonly insightful and honest to you?.. that's this book, for me.

Currently I'm reading Wyrdworking - the Path of a Saxon Sorcerer, by Alaric Albertsson.

Oh how odd, I just came across one of his books the other day and was curious about him because he's from my area. I'll be interested to hear what you think after you finish!

Juszt bought Magical Herbalism by Scott Cunningham. I wasn't very impressed. I want my money back...waah. I guess that's what I get for going to Barnes & Noble, I should have saved my money. :dry:

Currently reading Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter by A E Moorat and The Way of Wyrd by Brian Bates.

Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom: A Book of Tarot by Rachel Pollack and Energy Essentials for Witches and Spellcasters by Mya Om are on their way from Amazon... and I'm getting antsy...

witch_bounce.gif

Edited by Alienor Bel

I am more of a fiction reader. I do love the occasional nonfiction, but usually only if it involves a murder mystery. I love documentaries, as well. I'm not much into "how to" books, or teaching books, although I do have a fair share in my library that I have read in the past. But I am not into that at the moment, I am into entertainment novels.

I am currently reading "Phantom Evil", by Heather Graham. It is a paranormal suspense novel. I just started it, so I don't know how it's gonna go, but it seems to be good so far. It is about a haunted house in New Orleans, that has some evil action involved. I will be back with an update on how good it was.

I did just finish a book I loved, called "The Priest's Graveyard", by Ted Dekker. It was completely deranged, from beginning to end, and I loved it. lol. It's about good vs. evil, sanity vs. insanity, justice vs. murder, and how all of those things can collide inside the mind. It all gets twisted up, due to life circumstances. It shows how something that is bad can be considered good, if it fits your agenda, your own form of justice. Something I can relate to; not in this extreme form, but justice is as justice does, and it lies clearly in the eyes of the beholder. It was a great book, a fantastic read, and I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

The Book of Azazel - Grimoire of the Damned by EA Koetting. My copy just came in today! witch_bounce.gif

• Upvote 1

Juszt bought Magical Herbalism by Scott Cunningham. I wasn't very impressed. I want my money back...waah. I guess that's what I get for going to Barnes & Noble, I should have saved my money. :dry:

I haven't read Magical Herbalism by Scott Cunningham, but I had heard good things about it... to each their own I suppose. When it comes to the subject I really like Witchcraft Medicine: Healing Arts, Shamanic Practices, and Forbidden Plants. :)

re Magical Herbalism: I felt like it didn't go into enough depth. I guess I've just read too many books! Plus I have his Encyclopedia of Magickal Herbs and several other books. I enjoyed Witchcraft Medicine, that's a wonderful book.

I just read Alys Clare's book Music of the Distant Stars. It's set in Wm the Conquerer-era Britain, in the Fenlands. They're very good, pagan-y flavored books--they're a mystery series. I think the first book is called Out of the Dawn Light.

Sign in to follow this