Sign in to follow this  
Dawn

What are you reading ATM

Communing With Spirits by Martin Coleman

Hex by Arthur H. Lewis

Ipsissimus by EA Koetting

I haven't gotten that far through Ipsissimus because I took a fiction book detour lol. I just finished The Omen Machine by Terry Goodkind. How are you liking it so far?

I haven't gotten that far through Ipsissimus because I took a fiction book detour lol. I just finished The Omen Machine by Terry Goodkind. How are you liking it so far?

It's very different from his other books - can't say yet if that's good or bad though because I got distracted by "The Accidental Santera" by Irete Lazo. lol!

I read the Omen Machine a few weeks back.. it was okay, but short; how did you like it? Not his best work, I thought, but there are supposed to be two more books to finish this story arc, supposedly.

I read the Omen Machine a few weeks back.. it was okay, but short; how did you like it? Not his best work, I thought, but there are supposed to be two more books to finish this story arc, supposedly.

Like you said, it was ok. It was slow going for me because most of it was all at the palace and it seems the characters were slower than usual about figuring out what was going on. The meat and potatoes of the story was there but it wasn't the normal feast he normally brings to the table. I didn't know about the other two books though, thanks. I figured there was going to be a sequel just due to the way it ended. Hannis Arc looks like he is going to be another serial baddie, just like Jagang.

It's very different from his other books - can't say yet if that's good or bad though because I got distracted by "The Accidental Santera" by Irete Lazo. lol!

Well if two of us got distracted by more interesting books, then I think that speaks for itself....LOL! I will try to finish it tonight and tell you what I think.

Update: Yeah I tried and really have no desire right now to finish it. Its kind of "blah". Definately not holding my attention.

Wooohooo I got books today.

The Druid Tradition by Philip Carr-Gomm

A War of Witches- A Journey into the Underworld of the Comtemporary Aztecs by Timothy Knab

The 21 lessons of Merlyn- A study in Druid Magic & Lore by Douglas Monroe

Shamanism and Personal Mastery- Using symbols, rituals and Talisman to activate the Powers within you by Gini Scott

Grandmothers of the Light- A medicine woman's sourcebook

Wow... I'm gonna be busy.

The 21 lessons of Merlyn- A study in Druid Magic & Lore by Douglas Monroe

Flip through then put on Ebay to get some of your money back. If I recall correctly (got rid of my copy eons ago), it's new-agey Druidry.

Currently reading The Arcane Veil by Shani Oates

I anxiously await your review of this Seed. I checked it out on Amazon, whoooo..tis pricey.dry.gif I also am not familiar with this author.

Regards,

Gypsy

Flip through then put on Ebay to get some of your money back. If I recall correctly (got rid of my copy eons ago), it's new-agey Druidry.

Thanks for the tip... I knew they couldn't all be great lol.

Thanks for the tip... I knew they couldn't all be great lol.

Not that MW needs anyone to back her up, but I have read some blistering, scathing reviews on that one too.

These are all people who know what they're talking about in matters of Druidry.

http://www.neopagan.net/21-Lessons.html

http://digitalmedievalist.com/opinionated-celtic-faqs/pheryllt/

http://digitalmedievalist.com/reviews/21-lessons/

Not that MW needs anyone to back her up, but I have read some blistering, scathing reviews on that one too.

These are all people who know what they're talking about in matters of Druidry.

http://www.neopagan....21-Lessons.html

http://digitalmediev...-faqs/pheryllt/

http://digitalmediev...ews/21-lessons/

well, shit.... at least it was only a couple of dollars. I've already listed it on ebay. lol Thanks all.

Well if two of us got distracted by more interesting books, then I think that speaks for itself....LOL! I will try to finish it tonight and tell you what I think.

Update: Yeah I tried and really have no desire right now to finish it. Its kind of "blah". Definately not holding my attention.

I finished it today. Definitely extremely different from his prior writing, and if this was the first book of his I'd read it would probably have been my last. However, since I have read his other books and can follow his progress to this point, that made it more interesting to me once I was able to focus on it. Seemed like it picked up for me around the third or fourth chapter. Not one of my favorites of his, but I didn't 'dislike' it.

I anxiously await your review of this Seed. I checked it out on Amazon, whoooo..tis pricey.dry.gif I also am not familiar with this author.

Regards,

Gypsy

Hi C G,

Who am I to refuse an attempt at a review for a Lady that underlines such a request.

Apologies for not writing a review sooner. It’s not one of those books you can just read from cover to cover in one sitting. Its multi layered with lots of threads to explore and contains a lot of having to put the book down and reflect for a while moments.

Yeah I guess it’s expensive in some respects, but cheaper than many other publications. It’s still in its Hardback form so will probably be cheaper if it should be printed as a paperback. Besides, sod the expense. It’s the ONLY Reason xmas exists... to get others to finance part of your wish list lol. So cast away your anxiety and be anxious no more!

The Arcane Veil: Past And Present

(Ten Discourses On The Craft And The History Of Magic)

By Shani Oates

Published by Mandrake of Oxford

ISBN 978-1-906958-35-0

Shani Oates is quite well known in the UK at least CG. She is the Maid of the Clan of Tubal Cain and has penned numerous articles, some of which may be found online. She has had articles published in the Cauldron and the Abraxus Occult Journal.

Shani has also written books. Titles include Tubelo’s Green Fire and most recently The Star Crossed Serpent.

Her biography says she is a devoted practitioner of the true art, a mystic, a pilgrim, artist, professional photographer and holistic therapist. She is also a lifelong student and researcher of theology, philosophy and anthropology which she considers intrinsic to all praxes that engage the Mysteries proper.

The book begins in the form of an introduction and foreword by Nicolaj de Mattos Frisvold, himself an author who has penned several books, The Craft of the Untamed and Invisible Fire – Inner dimensions of Western Gnostic and Theurgic Tradition, to name but two.

Shani’s book is split into two Sections.

Section One

This section contains 4 discourses on the History of Magic and the influence and impact of Christianity upon the Development and Evolution of Magic 600-1600CE.

Section one is a neatly collated waltz through history that encompasses classical, Teutonic, Celtic and Norse influences upon later Anglo Saxon magic, including Christianised forms of Anglo saxon magic and Church counter magic. It then meanders off and discusses the input of Jewish, Arabic, Oriental Scholarship and Mediaeval Scholasticism, early Witchcraft and Hermeticism of the Renaissance period.

It’s written in a Scholarly style without being overly bland and frequently references the works of Historians like Wilfred Bonser, Richard Kieckhefer who those of you from across the Pond in the USA may know of, and Owen Davies.

Each discourse closes with an extensive bibliography, with websites in some cases, should a particular subject pique enough interest to be studied further.

Wading through historical discourses can sometimes feel like chewing dried Bran flakes. I feel that Shani’s style of presentation and the fact that she is Witch makes History more accessible, and the truths, e.g the Xtian influences on Witchcraft, more palatable than a lot of the books and essays written by pure Historians and Scholars who have no real knowledge of craft and its workings.

Section Two

Section Two of the book contains 5 discourses on a variety of Craft related subjects.

In discourse numero five, Shani presents the Historiography of Lucifer. Shani admits that this subject has never been resolved due to agenda filled obfuscation compounded by mis-translation and unsubstantiated interpretations over the Millennia. Her discourse on Lucifer leaves us to form our own opinions from the information she has provided.

Discourse Six discusses the Profane Art of Masking and a study into the Darker Elements of our Winter Making and Guising Rituals.

Shani discusses just what constitutes a mask and the psychology and purpose behind it. The discourse contains information on Pagan rituals and Greco/Roman influences and Norse, Anglo Saxon as well. The essay contains comments and excerpts extracted from writers such as Hutton, Nigel Jackson and Pennick just to give you a flavour of the type of material covered within this discourse.

Discourse Seven discusses the often hotly debated and contentious issue of Witch Blood. This is a subject I’m particularly interested in. The discourse is titled Witch Blood a Modern Heresy.

The discourse is split into two sections. The first part contains the thoughts and opinions of a Mr Christopher R Reibling who disputes the concept entirely and wrote his piece after initially reading an article that Shani had written on the subject, called a Man for All Seasons, for the Cauldron publication.

Part two of the discourse is her response which IMO makes a good stab at attempting to work through the concept from different perspectives although by the end of the discourse I found myself confused as to where she actually stands on the subject. It seems though that Robert Cochcrane from which Shani’s tradition is lineaged to was a believer of the concept of Witch Blood as was that Man I just know you all lurve to hate, Mr Gerald Gardner.

Discourse Eight is called Sin Eating and its relevance to the Craft.

I’d never actually heard of Sin Eating before so I found this discourse of great interest. Throughout the book Shani uses words in their original root meaning and understanding. She discusses the actual meaning of Sin and its connection to atonement and absolution. This seems to be what the Clan of Tubal Cain are focused on this time of the year when they perform their Candlemas Rite (No mention of Imbolc) It is clear just how close some Witch rites and those contained within Catholicism can be. Houzles and sacrifice are discussed too.

Shani goes worldwide historically with the subject and draws upon Ross Heaven’s writings along with Sacred texts chapters on Funeral customs as some of her reference sources.

Discourse Nine is Traditional Witchcraft for the 21st Century.

Shani discusses and defines what Tradition means and then goes on to define just what Witchcraft is, was and where she believes it has to go in order to survive and be relevant to the populace of today.

Last discourse is called Which Craft.

In this discourse Shani discusses her passion for her Craft and the theme continues in more detail on where it has to go if it is to evolve and survive. She draws upon her experiences as Maid of Tubal Cain and references Robert Cochrane’s writings along with the Philosophical thoughts of Evan John Jones.

Overall then the book is very well written, often in a Scholarly way. If you’re not a wordsmith then it would be wise to keep a dictionary nearby for all those WTF does that mean moments.

The publication would appeal to those who enjoy history and perhaps don’t mind having their preconceived ideas and perceptions of Witchcraft challenged. The book also has a strong leaning towards the Gnostic aspect of Craft rather than Folk magic, Spells etc none of which it contains.

Phew. Hope this has been of some use. I’m never going to mention what I’ve been reading ever again! Lol

• Upvote 1

Ella Young by Rose Murphy

Way of Wyrd by Brian Bates

I have been reading Ella Young's stories and poetry and I took an interest in her mystical side. This book so far has been a somewhat light biography of her life at only about 150 pages it is not the in depth view, I was hoping for, however I will be getting her autobiography soon. I think its a good overview, which is probably a good intro for me as I delve further into getting to know about this historical personage.

As for Way of Wyrd, I had just been hearing so much about it, and it is rated highly by many who have read it here. I just started it, but I must agree with the others, this book is quite the gem! I enjoy historical genre novels and this one definitely has that theme as well as imparting some of the philosophy of the times. It was easily picked up through interlibrary loan, so I assume anyone who wants to can either get it through their local library or pick it up used somewhere.

"Poems and Poetical Fragments" by Nicander of Colophon (translated from the Greek by A.S.F. Gow & A. F. Scholfield). Nicander was a 2nd century BCE Greek physician & poet, and also a lineaged priest of Apollo.

Sunwyse - Celebrating the Sacred Wheel of the Year in Australia by Roxanne Bodsworth.

It's an interesting book as it incorporates Aboriginal Dreamtimes legends into some of the holidays giving a more southern hem flavour which is nice.

Hello Seed,

Great review of that book by Shani Oates, an author I'm not familiar at all with. The Title alone was valuable to any Seeker, in a Historical way. History as many know, does have a way of repeating itself, and discourses are changed in many ways.

Hopefully with some friendly persuasion, the publisher of the Cauldron, will be open minded enough to change some policies regarding to get his Magazine with a subscription to us US's folks, with Pay Pal.

I'd like to have that choice to find out what some of these authors have to say, as it may be a link to my own Path. Articles written for review or even contention on a subject matter, would be much more beneficial to me, than purchasing a book, I'll be disappointed in, in my opinion, and because of that disappointment, my review would be so biased by that emotion, that it may lock out some information to another's path, and not unlock it.

Thanks Seed, for the effort, I appreciated every word. lol !

Regards,

Gypsy

West Country Folklore and West Country Witchcraft by Roy and Ursula Radford and Traditional Folk remedies By Michael Howard. All great :)

The Primitive Witch byANDREA DEAN VAN SCOYOC http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

It goes against my ways to buy anything with manual or handbook in it but as I see myself as a primitive and primal witch i thought what they hey (and it was only a pound on Kindle). So far i like what it has to say, the editing could do with sorting. I didn't read the reviews on the above link as it seems to be a different one that have for the Kindle which had no reviews, I only has a few and all good except the usual "this blatantly goes againt Wicca etc) Will put up my review when I have finished it.

Hopefully with some friendly persuasion, the publisher of the Cauldron, will be open minded enough to change some policies regarding to get his Magazine with a subscription to us US's folks, with Pay Pal.

I'd like to have that choice to find out what some of these authors have to say, as it may be a link to my own Path. Articles written for review or even contention on a subject matter, would be much more beneficial to me, than purchasing a book, I'll be disappointed in, in my opinion, and because of that disappointment, my review would be so biased by that emotion, that it may lock out some information to another's path, and not unlock it.

Regards,

Gypsy

I purchased the cauldron through personal check mailed to his PO box, he was very prompt in sending the November issue, and i expect my may issue any day now as Brits have gotten theirs earlier this week mine should arrive next week ir early the week after. I shouldn't think anyone should have any reservations about sending him a check for subscription.

I just finished a fantasy series The Night Angle trilogy by Brent Weeks . It's about a boy who grows up in a tough world who becomes an assassin but by the end he's a hero. Vague I know but I don't want to ruin anything. I'll just say that if you have read "The Sword of Truth" series or "The Eye of The World" series you will most likely enjoy this trilogy. Also before bed lately I have been reading the "Dresden Files". They are fun little stories about a Wizard/Detective. Currently I am on book 3 and I would recommend them to anyone looking for a little adventure to take them from reality for a while.

I'm reading Lemuria and Atlantis - Studying the past to the survive the future Shirley Andrews

I'm quite enjoying it, I'm only a quarter of the way through

I'm also a goodreads member, does anyone else use this site? Goodreads

Sign in to follow this