Dawn

What are you reading ATM

Guest Chatters

I have not long finished the Weather Warden series by `Rachel Caine` nine books in all, fantasy novels about the supernatural, power and the forces of nature, even though they are fantasy novels there is a lot of knowledge in them about weather patterns and what causes storms/tornadoes and such.

I like the sound of these books

Eat Pray Love...

people keep stopping me when they see me reading and asking 'why" "As in Tanya, aren't you supposed to be an intellectual, isn't that book a little easy..."

Why? because insight can come from any place..good useful ideas are seldom new or eath shattering.. they just need to be heard again and agian.... and if fact I have learned a lot from it....

I'm going to have to go back to the Dali Lama's books now... this one has got me re-lit on pushing forward spiritually after a long night of the soul.

Michael Scott, the Author, wrote a fantastic book called "The Omnibus of Irish Mythology and Legend"

I have that book on my wishlist.

I would LIKE to read but have yet attained are "Oriental Magic" by Idris Shah(sp?) and "Rowan Tree and Red Thread" by Thomas Davidson.

I have a battered copy of "Rowan Tree and Red Thread", but have only skimmed through it on occasion.

I am currently reading "The People of the Sea: Celtic Tales of the Seal-Folk" by David Thomson and I'm loving it; a truly enjoyable read thus far.

Guest Magdalena

Kelley Armstrong `Woman Of The Otherworld` series. Ten books in all.

Just finished The Chymical Wedding by Lindsay Clarke...the new edition, it first came out in 1989. Started well, but he lost me towards the end :( Why do so many novels these days insist on time jumping? Bugs the head off me.

I think my next read will be The Strange Affair of Spring-Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder, or I'll delve deeper into my "To Read" pile...I've a copy of The Host still to read amongst others..:)

I'm reading Hedge-Rider by Eric De Vries. It sounded pretty promising but it's not. It's poorly written und doesn't provide any new information on the topic. At least not for me.

Anyways, I'm also listening to The Silmarillion by Tolkien.

I'm reading Hedge-Rider by Eric De Vries. It sounded pretty promising but it's not. It's poorly written und doesn't provide any new information on the topic. At least not for me.

Anyways, I'm also listening to The Silmarillion by Tolkien.

Didn't he do a book on Runes too? I think I saw it at work and wondered if it would be any good....or maybe it was visual magick...brains gone to mush. So, vetoed all my previous/above choices, as it's payday today, treated myself to The Leaping Hare by George Ewart Evans..just been reissued :)

I think the book would have been better had the writing itself been better organized. I found it difficult to follow the author's thoughts. I appreciate that the author tried to keep the book conversational, but I found it too simple at times. No disrespect to the writer, because in all fairness, I haven't read any of his other books, but I did not find the information presented to be provoking enough for me.

Jevne

I have all of Ewart-Evans books, as they were compulsory reading for a course I was doing (a long time ago). Lots of interesting lore.

Am now 75% through "Mean Streets Witchcraft" by Melusine Draco. Aimed at the witch starting on the journey, but living in the city or urban areas. Nothing new, really.

Didn't he do a book on Runes too? I think I saw it at work and wondered if it would be any good....or maybe it was visual magick...brains gone to mush. So, vetoed all my previous/above choices, as it's payday today, treated myself to The Leaping Hare by George Ewart Evans..just been reissued :)

I don't know if the author did write anything else but it sounds more like you might think about Jan Fries. He did write a book on runes and visual magick.... which I both quite liked....

I think the book would have been better had the writing itself been better organized. I found it difficult to follow the author's thoughts. I appreciate that the author tried to keep the book conversational, but I found it too simple at times. No disrespect to the writer, because in all fairness, I haven't read any of his other books, but I did not find the information presented to be provoking enough for me.

Jevne

Yes, it should have been better organized and definitely been edited. Quite some writing mistakes in the book which I even recognised with english being my second language. Anyways, it's not only that. I find it annyoing when people try to force their opinion on others and he's very much telling me that you only can be a witch if you follow a path with germanic roots. Which is basically fine but don't tell me there is no other way.

I also thought that what he wrote was rather vague. As if he tries to explain something he has just heard of and not experienced. I think other authors like Brian Bates or even Robin Artisson are much better on this sort of topic.

Luthien

P.s. that's just my opinion. Others might like it. It's possible to have a look at the book on google book. :)

I also thought that what he wrote was rather vague. As if he tries to explain something he has just heard of and not experienced. Luthien

I agree completely.

That reminds me of a recent problem my friend had with his furnace. My friend is a very intelligent individual with many interests and talents, so when his furnace stopped working, he went to the Internet for directions on how to fix it. (How hard could it be, after all?) So, my friend reads everything he can about the furnace. He memorizes schematics and the mechanics of furnace operation. He explains to everyone (who he manages to corner) how furnaces work and declares himself ready to repair his furnace.

Three hours and a lot of cussing later, my friend's girlfriend extracts his intelligent, but not mechanically inclinced, ass from the basement. The repair person was amused and happy that he gets paid by the hour. My friend certainly sounded like he knew what he was doing. He was far from vague, however, even being able to explain something is not an indication that you know what you are doing. Reading (and apparently writing) a couple of books about furnaces (or Witchcraft) does not an expert make.

Jevne

Guest Alayna

I agree completely.

That reminds me of a recent problem my friend had with his furnace. My friend is a very intelligent individual with many interests and talents, so when his furnace stopped working, he went to the Internet for directions on how to fix it. (How hard could it be, after all?) So, my friend reads everything he can about the furnace. He memorizes schematics and the mechanics of furnace operation. He explains to everyone (who he manages to corner) how furnaces work and declares himself ready to repair his furnace.

Three hours and a lot of cussing later, my friend's girlfriend extracts his intelligent, but not mechanically inclinced, ass from the basement. The repair person was amused and happy that he gets paid by the hour. My friend certainly sounded like he knew what he was doing. He was far from vague, however, even being able to explain something is not an indication that you know what you are doing. Reading (and apparently writing) a couple of books about furnaces (or Witchcraft) does not an expert make.

Jevne

ATM, I"m trying to get through, "Women who run with the Wolves"....interesting philosophy behind it.

Alayna

Three hours and a lot of cussing later, my friend's girlfriend extracts his intelligent, but not mechanically inclinced, ass from the basement. The repair person was amused and happy that he gets paid by the hour. My friend certainly sounded like he knew what he was doing.

Haha, sounds like a good day for the repair person. Some things are just better left for the experts.

being able to explain something is not an indication that you know what you are doing. Reading (and apparently writing) a couple of books about furnaces (or Witchcraft) does not an expert make.

Jevne

Yes very true indeed!

Tubelo's Green Fire - Shani Oates. A selections of writings published in magazines such as The Cauldron and Hedgewitch. A great collection.

I don't know if the author did write anything else but it sounds more like you might think about Jan Fries. He did write a book on runes and visual magick.... which I both quite liked....

THAT's the one!!!! Cheers! :) Yeah, Faber and Faber's edition of The Leaping Hare was re-issued...2002, hm, not so recent then. I am going to try and read all his books, I think it would pays dividends for me.

I'm currently reading... Out of the Shadows an Exploration of Dark Paganism and Magick, by John J. Coughlin. Interesting to say the least.

Regards,

Gypsy

A Book called Mr Nice. Its about Howard Marks who was the most wanted man in England for drugs smuggling. Its his autobiography and a brilliant read. Not very witchy though ;)

Just going through a really informative book for all you budding homeopaths an herbalists, 1001 home health remedies by Readers Digest.........well worth keeping on your bookshelf, great reference book.

Edited by firebird

Guest Melodye

Right now I'm reading The Northern Path by Douglas "Dag" Rossman. I'm interested to know if anyone else has read this and what they think.

A Guns n' roses biography

And Christopher Penczak The Temple of Shamanic Witchcraft. I've been trying to read this for months and I just can't get into it. I'm a fan of his books and I incorporate shamanic practices into my path but I just can't get through this book. Its very basic is I haven't learned anything new yet.

I'm reading The Black Tulip by Alexandre Dumas, although I should be reading poetry for my Children's Literature course :) My parents gave me a choice of Christmas presents - a watch or boots. I have a watch I don't wear and plenty boots, so vetoed both and opted for books...:) The Land of the Seal People by Duncan Williamson was one, a refernce book on symbols was another....roll on Christmas :)