• Please log in to reply
854 replies to this topic

#841 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:24 PM

I always read loads of books at once and therefore take ages to finish any of them.

Current reads are:

Magic on the Breath by Tylluan Penry

Several different tarot books

Waking up by Sam Harris

Handcrafting Artisan Salves and Lip Balms

The Empath's Survival Guide - I hate all the associations with 'empaths' and will never ever use this word to describe myself - but it's good and I needed it. The energetic shit I've been picking up in work has felt like it's been literally killing me. Reading this has reminded me to take the time to ground and shield.

I'm a big fan of Condensed Chaos - it helped me get properly onto this path.

#842 Neville

Neville

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 03:00 PM

Ann Moura is definitely Wiccan, but I actually love that book. It’s been one of my well used reference books for a while. 

Figured she was Wiccan indeed, but its quite nice to have a bit of guidance for an (old) witchling like myself lol

I’ve just started Freya Aswynn’s Northern Mysteries and Magick: Runes & Feminine Powers. I'm not far enough along to give an opinion, but I'm finding the author rather fascinating.

I always read loads of books at once and therefore take ages to finish any of them.

Current reads are:
Magic on the Breath by Tylluan Penry
Several different tarot books
Waking up by Sam Harris
Handcrafting Artisan Salves and Lip Balms
The Empath's Survival Guide - I hate all the associations with 'empaths' and will never ever use this word to describe myself - but it's good and I needed it. The energetic shit I've been picking up

I'm a big fan of Condensed Chaos - it helped me get properly onto this path.

Some interesting titles on your list there:) I really must stop buying more books lol but keep finding more I want to read (will have to do a money spell next:p)

#843 Phaedra

Phaedra

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:09 PM

I've been picking up and dropping a lot of books lately, but one that's really held my attention lately is Asfidity & Madstones by Byron Ballard. The lady's writing takes me back to the country hills I grew up around and the 'quaint' workings I'd see carried out by friendly old Protestant ladies who'd give you an earful if you ever alluded that their customs look an awful lot like witchy work. Discovered the other day that she's a long-time Wiccan, too. Who'da thought? Reminds me to stay humble and keep an open mind.

Also re-reading the Dragonlance series on the side. I go back to old favorites when I'm feeling homesick.

#844 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:26 PM

I realized a bit ago that all the fiction I’ve been reading has been light fluffy stuff, so I decided to delve back into some more substantial stories again. I just finished rereading (for like the twentieth time, though it’s been a few years since my last go through) Sunshine by Robin McKinley. If anyone is looking for a seriously good magic/vampire book where the vampires aren’t sexy and don’t fucking sparkle, this is one of the most perfectly written books I’ve ever come across. The main character’s narration is sarcastic and unique, she responds to events like a normal person would, the world building is incredible, and you will come away with a serious yearning for cinnamon rolls.

#845 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:07 AM

I'm reading "Feasting from the Black Cauldron" and thought it was useful enough to do a review of it in the review topic. My to-be-read stack is multiplying. I'm about 2/3rds through "Red Church" and underneath that is "Family of Secrets" about the Bush family. Rumor suggests Barbara Bush was a direct off spring of Alistair Crowley.

#846 onlyanegg

onlyanegg

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:14 PM

"A Witch's Halloween" by Gerina Dunwich because I miss Halloween.

“When a person assumes that his or her revelation is the only true one, it only says that this person has had very few religious revelations and hasn't realized how many there are.” 
― 
Margot Adler

#847 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:27 AM

I'm reading "The real middle Earth" . Great book

Glad to hear it's good. Picked it up on a whim for 50c the other day at a local bookfair fundraiser . . .

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#848 NatureMama

NatureMama

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:55 PM

I'm reading " Owning Your Own Shadow; Understanding the Dark Side of the Psyche" by Robert A. Johnson. It's a short book. 

I'm really enjoying it so far. My spiritual guidance has been having me do more shadow work lately with an emphasis on really becoming whole. My husband had picked this book up for me for free on the last day of a library book sale a while ago and it's just been sitting waiting for me to read it. 

This morning I saw it and just knew it was the right time to start reading it. It really emphasises the importance of being coming whole.

Coincidence? I think not. :rolleyes:

#849 GhostAndTheWolf

GhostAndTheWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:27 PM

currently reading Pagan Portals The Morrigan Meeting the Great Queen by Morgan Daimler.

really enjoying it so far, I like her approach to communicating with this deity.

I was also wondering about checking out some of E.A. Koetting's books but ive only seen a couple youtube clips of his and wanted to see if I could get an opinion from anyone on him in regards to trad craft?? 

You're all a bunch of fuckin assholes, ya know why? you don't have the guts to be what you wanna be.

You need people like me, you need people like me so you can point your fuckin fingers.

and say " That's the bad guy"

So say goodnight to the bad guy!

#850 ReleaseTheBats

ReleaseTheBats

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:15 AM

I always have at least 5+ books in progress and read them at intervals lol.
Right now i've got:

The Master Book of Herbalism by Paul Beyerl

Witchcraft for Tomorrow by Doreen Valiente

The Elder Edda: A Book of Viking Lore

Ghostland: An American History in Haunted Places by Colin Dickey

Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett

Kaibyo: The Supernatural Cats of Japan by Zack Davisson

:cauldron04: :sweat: :lol_witch:

Edited by ReleaseTheBats, 26 July 2018 - 05:16 AM.

“A witch ought never to be frightened in the darkest forest, Granny Weatherwax had once told her, because she should be sure in her soul that the most terrifying thing in the forest was her.”

― Terry Pratchett

#851 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 03:24 PM

My to-be-read short-stacks occupy a side table. One stack is titles like: Liars, leakers & Liberals, Family of Secrets-the Bush presidencies, Killing the Deep State & The Federalist Papers. In the other stack there's the Witch's Book of the Dead, Ecstasies-2nd read-thru, Sanctuaries of the Goddess, Earth Lines, some mythology & a thin book on Thought Forms. The currently open books are Lines of the Land (bedside-table), Magicians of the Gods re: Gobekli Tepi (bathroom), & I'm still slowly plodding thru Cunning Folk & Familiar Spirits (chair-side). I took a break & read a couple light weight cozy murder mysteries earlier this week and am almost done with an e-book Templar Treasure adventure The Last Crypt.

Edited by Zombee, 26 July 2018 - 10:22 PM.

#852 NatureMama

NatureMama

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 06:52 PM

I'm working through "The Dark Side of the Light Chasers" by Deborah Ford, which is about shadow work. And a light fiction book called "An Unremembered Grave" by Abigail Padgett, which is a supernatural mystery.

#853 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 10:41 AM

A guide to the good life {the ancient art of stoic joy}

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#854 WaterChildOfGaea

WaterChildOfGaea

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 12:21 AM

The Host and Walking Disaster

#855 JessicaB

JessicaB

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 02:31 AM

Southern Folk Medicine by Phyllis Light. It is a very interesting journey through her life growing up in northern Alabama, and the fascinating fusion of European, African, and Native American traditions of healing that developed here.