859 replies to this topic

#841 Watersiren

Watersiren

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:23 AM

Just picked up and giving it a go  - The Witching Herbs by Harold Roth.

#842 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:46 AM

I'm slowly (because of school and work, not the book itself) making my way through The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben. I would highly recommend it based on what I've read so far.

#843 Pazuzu

Pazuzu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:10 AM

I'm not gonna lie.. I'm not reading a book... I'm listening to Audible.. lol.. why read when I can have someone read to me...
I'm 'reading' 'Witches' Book of the Dead' because I have like 20 Audible credits and out of shit to 'read' lol

"Nilbog... it's Goblin spelled backwards!!"

#844 sleepnheat

sleepnheat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:23 PM

I'm not gonna lie.. I'm not reading a book... I'm listening to Audible.. lol.. why read when I can have someone read to me...
I'm 'reading' 'Witches' Book of the Dead' because I have like 20 Audible credits and out of shit to 'read' lol

Ha-Ha!! I did the same damn thing! I thought it was a good book. Audible has a limited selection of books on this subject.....

Edited by sleepnheat, 24 May 2017 - 05:24 PM.

#845 Pazuzu

Pazuzu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:29 PM

Ha-Ha!! I did the same damn thing! I thought it was a good book. Audible has a limited selection of books on this subject.....

Tell me about it.. everything else is about Wicca...

"Nilbog... it's Goblin spelled backwards!!"

#846 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:59 PM

Pliny the Elder's "Natural History". :wacko:

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#847 PrimalWitch

PrimalWitch

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:02 PM

Balkan Traditional Witchcraft by Radomir Ristic

Riding Windhorses: A journey into the heart of Mongolian Shamanism by Sarangerel

Skull Skrying: Animal Skulls in Divinatory Trance Work by Lupa 

and of course this site lol

#848 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:15 PM

I'm reading "The real middle Earth" . Great book

#849 Neville

Neville

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:21 AM

I have started reading: Grimoire of a green witch by ann moura and condensed chaos phil hine. 2 totally different books but am enjoying them both for different reasons. The green witch one is giving lots of ideas to work with, like colours, times of week, elemental signs, etc which is really giving me a bit of guidance to write my first ever ritual. I have even got a time now: sunday 6am for new bwginnings. Some might find it slightly fluffy but it doesnt deny both dark and light aspects. And its very open to your own ideas
The condensed magic one..baring in mind I am not very far in the book is really interesting so far

On the to read pile:
The green witch by Murphy hiscock and a scot cunningham book about insence, oils and brews

(My new bookshelf needs filling lol)

#850 Holdasown

Holdasown

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 12:51 PM

I have been on a binge. I read Hedge-Rider by Eric De Vries,  Helsongs and The Words of Odin by Robin Artisson. All in the last three weeks. LOL. I think I have read almost all Artisson's books at this point. 

Edited by Holdasown, 22 March 2018 - 12:53 PM.

#851 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:12 PM

Just finished "idiots Guide to Alchemy" & found it informative as an intro. I'm just beginning "Arthur Gauntlets Grimoire" translation by David Dankine. Waiting to be read : 100 Recipes Every Cook Should Know.

Edited by Zombee, 22 March 2018 - 04:16 PM.

#852 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:12 PM

I have started reading: Grimoire of a green witch by ann moura and condensed chaos phil hine. 2 totally different books but am enjoying them both for different reasons. The green witch one is giving lots of ideas to work with, like colours, times of week, elemental signs, etc which is really giving me a bit of guidance to write my first ever ritual. I have even got a time now: sunday 6am for new bwginnings. Some might find it slightly fluffy but it doesnt deny both dark and light aspects. And its very open to your own ideas

Ann Moura is definitely Wiccan, but I actually love that book. It’s been one of my well used reference books for a while. 

I’ve just started Freya Aswynn’s Northern Mysteries and Magick: Runes & Feminine Powers. I'm not far enough along to give an opinion, but I'm finding the author rather fascinating.

Edited by Duchess, 22 March 2018 - 07:16 PM.

#853 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:24 PM

I always read loads of books at once and therefore take ages to finish any of them.

Current reads are:

Magic on the Breath by Tylluan Penry

Several different tarot books

Waking up by Sam Harris

Handcrafting Artisan Salves and Lip Balms

The Empath's Survival Guide - I hate all the associations with 'empaths' and will never ever use this word to describe myself - but it's good and I needed it. The energetic shit I've been picking up in work has felt like it's been literally killing me. Reading this has reminded me to take the time to ground and shield.

I'm a big fan of Condensed Chaos - it helped me get properly onto this path.

#854 Neville

Neville

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 03:00 PM

Ann Moura is definitely Wiccan, but I actually love that book. It’s been one of my well used reference books for a while. 

Figured she was Wiccan indeed, but its quite nice to have a bit of guidance for an (old) witchling like myself lol

I’ve just started Freya Aswynn’s Northern Mysteries and Magick: Runes & Feminine Powers. I'm not far enough along to give an opinion, but I'm finding the author rather fascinating.

I always read loads of books at once and therefore take ages to finish any of them.

Current reads are:
Magic on the Breath by Tylluan Penry
Several different tarot books
Waking up by Sam Harris
Handcrafting Artisan Salves and Lip Balms
The Empath's Survival Guide - I hate all the associations with 'empaths' and will never ever use this word to describe myself - but it's good and I needed it. The energetic shit I've been picking up

I'm a big fan of Condensed Chaos - it helped me get properly onto this path.

Some interesting titles on your list there:) I really must stop buying more books lol but keep finding more I want to read (will have to do a money spell next:p)

#855 Phaedra

Phaedra

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:09 PM

I've been picking up and dropping a lot of books lately, but one that's really held my attention lately is Asfidity & Madstones by Byron Ballard. The lady's writing takes me back to the country hills I grew up around and the 'quaint' workings I'd see carried out by friendly old Protestant ladies who'd give you an earful if you ever alluded that their customs look an awful lot like witchy work. Discovered the other day that she's a long-time Wiccan, too. Who'da thought? Reminds me to stay humble and keep an open mind.

Also re-reading the Dragonlance series on the side. I go back to old favorites when I'm feeling homesick.

#856 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:26 PM

I realized a bit ago that all the fiction I’ve been reading has been light fluffy stuff, so I decided to delve back into some more substantial stories again. I just finished rereading (for like the twentieth time, though it’s been a few years since my last go through) Sunshine by Robin McKinley. If anyone is looking for a seriously good magic/vampire book where the vampires aren’t sexy and don’t fucking sparkle, this is one of the most perfectly written books I’ve ever come across. The main character’s narration is sarcastic and unique, she responds to events like a normal person would, the world building is incredible, and you will come away with a serious yearning for cinnamon rolls.

#857 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:07 AM

I'm reading "Feasting from the Black Cauldron" and thought it was useful enough to do a review of it in the review topic. My to-be-read stack is multiplying. I'm about 2/3rds through "Red Church" and underneath that is "Family of Secrets" about the Bush family. Rumor suggests Barbara Bush was a direct off spring of Alistair Crowley.

#858 onlyanegg

onlyanegg

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:14 PM

"A Witch's Halloween" by Gerina Dunwich because I miss Halloween.

“When a person assumes that his or her revelation is the only true one, it only says that this person has had very few religious revelations and hasn't realized how many there are.” 
― 
Margot Adler

#859 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:27 AM

I'm reading "The real middle Earth" . Great book

Glad to hear it's good. Picked it up on a whim for 50c the other day at a local bookfair fundraiser . . .

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#860 NatureMama

NatureMama

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:55 PM

I'm reading " Owning Your Own Shadow; Understanding the Dark Side of the Psyche" by Robert A. Johnson. It's a short book. 

I'm really enjoying it so far. My spiritual guidance has been having me do more shadow work lately with an emphasis on really becoming whole. My husband had picked this book up for me for free on the last day of a library book sale a while ago and it's just been sitting waiting for me to read it. 

This morning I saw it and just knew it was the right time to start reading it. It really emphasises the importance of being coming whole.

Coincidence? I think not. :rolleyes: