• Please log in to reply
847 replies to this topic

#41 DeviousMousie

DeviousMousie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:56 PM

Currently, 'The Difference Engine' by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling. After that, course catalogs! lol

#42 Guest_Landieth_*

Guest_Landieth_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:11 PM

Well Im just reading through a fine little book called A witch's guide to gardening by Dorothy Jacob, which I came across in a charity shop today.. Its a first edition 1964 print in reasonable nik and it cost me 1.50.. Ive just checked a few dealers sites and its marked at 850.00+! That put a smile on me mush! lol :)

OH CRAP! Great find!! You had a lucky day lol. :D

#43 Leigh

Leigh

Lover, Dreamer, Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:35 PM

Since the computer crashed I've been sucking up books from my TBR pile.

I've just started Son Of A Witch (the sequel to Wicked) by Gregory Maguire.

#44 Guest_Landieth_*

Guest_Landieth_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:04 PM

Since the computer crashed I've been sucking up books from my TBR pile.

I've just started Son Of A Witch (the sequel to Wicked) by Gregory Maguire.

I loved Wicked, but haven't read the sequel. I've seen his other books at the store too and plan to pick them up as well one day. :) Thanks for reminding me!

#45 Leigh

Leigh

Lover, Dreamer, Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:18 PM

I loved Wicked, but haven't read the sequel. I've seen his other books at the store too and plan to pick them up as well one day. :) Thanks for reminding me!

I just found out there is a third book in the series, A Lion Among Men, which I'll have my eye out for once I finish this one.

#46 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:48 AM

I am reading the other side of virtue by brenden myers. It is about ethics--and it is not the wiccan variety. I am loving it!
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#47 Guest_Landieth_*

Guest_Landieth_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:29 AM

I just found out there is a third book in the series, A Lion Among Men, which I'll have my eye out for once I finish this one.

Very cool!!! I'll be checking that out too! Wicked was pretty cool, and I want to read.. I think the name of his book was 'Mirror, Mirror'.

#48 Grimalkin

Grimalkin

The grumpy one

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:39 AM

The Reform of Time - Magic and Modernity by Maureen Perkins.

http://www.scribd.co...c-and-Modernity

Posted Image
Life's only souvenir is the love we have for each other.

#49 Guest_Oakbuchanan_*

Guest_Oakbuchanan_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:14 AM

OH CRAP! Great find!! You had a lucky day lol. :D

Definatley! :)

#50 Leigh

Leigh

Lover, Dreamer, Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:39 PM

Very cool!!! I'll be checking that out too! Wicked was pretty cool, and I want to read.. I think the name of his book was 'Mirror, Mirror'.

Read it and do a review, and I'll do one for Son of a Witch. If they stink, we'll save each other a lot of time and moolah. :coffee:

#51 Guest_Landieth_*

Guest_Landieth_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:06 PM

Read it and do a review, and I'll do one for Son of a Witch. If they stink, we'll save each other a lot of time and moolah. :coffee:

I'm up for that. :cheers:

#52 Guest_Dreamwalker_*

Guest_Dreamwalker_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:54 PM

I'm a huge fan of the magical realism genre... I just finished The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, which was terribly entertaining if simple. It's certainly no One Hundred Years of Solitude, but its entertaining...

I'm now on to The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga...I'm in a book club...

#53 Amber

Amber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:05 PM

I'd love to be able to say something exciting/cheery and witchcraft related... but mine's really gloomy (although I find it interesting) - I'm reading 'Sleeping Beauty 2, the history of memorial/post-mortem photography. It's for study, it's really interesting.. but I can't imagine anyone rushing out for a look! The other one is 'Camera Lucida' by Roland Barthes.. I'm trying and failing to stick with it. :cry_witch:

Looking forward to reading some fiction.. at some point!

#54 phiguru

phiguru

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:13 PM

I'd love to be able to say something exciting/cheery and witchcraft related... but mine's really gloomy (although I find it interesting) - I'm reading 'Sleeping Beauty 2, the history of memorial/post-mortem photography. It's for study, it's really interesting.. but I can't imagine anyone rushing out for a look! The other one is 'Camera Lucida' by Roland Barthes.. I'm trying and failing to stick with it. :cry_witch:

Looking forward to reading some fiction.. at some point!

LOL. This reminds me of when my child was born, I brought book to the hospital to read. It was about Japanese BioWarfare before and during the Second World War. The nurses were horrified that I would read that with a little baby in the room. (Like he could read!) I've also been known to bring books (fiction or non-fiction) about other diseases and warfare to the hospital. I think it's the setting that immediately makes my brain jump to disease/injury.

I happen to the hospital again next week and I am trying to break the trend and bring the Seven Pillars of Wisdom with me (although I may bring The Plague, just for fun). I'm actually reading Snow in the Kingdom by Ed Webster right now, but that copy is special and I don't want to risk it. I couldn't call any of these "happy" reads, but they are interesting.

#55 Amber

Amber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:27 PM

LOL. This reminds me of when my child was born, I brought book to the hospital to read. It was about Japanese BioWarfare before and during the Second World War. The nurses were horrified that I would read that with a little baby in the room. (Like he could read!) I've also been known to bring books (fiction or non-fiction) about other diseases and warfare to the hospital. I think it's the setting that immediately makes my brain jump to disease/injury.

I happen to the hospital again next week and I am trying to break the trend and bring the Seven Pillars of Wisdom with me (although I may bring The Plague, just for fun). I'm actually reading Snow in the Kingdom by Ed Webster right now, but that copy is special and I don't want to risk it. I couldn't call any of these "happy" reads, but they are interesting.

Phiguru, thank goodness I'm not alone with my weird choices of books... My mum came over the other day and glanced along the worktops in our kitchen.. she raised one eyebrow and said nothing at first.. but as she scanned along, she noticed that there were at least 4 books (all on dying, momento mori photography and psychological theory regarding art and death)... she simply said "Can't you find anything nice to read?" with a face like Hyacinth Bucket LOL. Thing is, she knows why I'm reading it.. but deep down probably wonders why the hell I chose to write about it. :sickwitch:

My tutor said similar the other day... I sat down for a tutorial with her and she said "I must remember to book our sessions in at the beginning of the day, rather than at the end... death at 5pm on on wintery wet night is not my favourite thing! She was grinning when she said it.. but I so understand where you're coming from with reactions from people who see what you're reading.

I did giggle about the nurses.. thinking the baby may be absorbing the horrors his mother was reading. LOL Funny how some folk are. :naughty: He was probably too busy watching the telly ;)

#56 soap fairy

soap fairy

fluffy chaos instigator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:11 AM

You're not alone , I got told off by the health visitor and my mother for reading the children's act to the tiddle up to get him to go to sleep {hey it works!!}
:twisted_witch: You can make anything sound appealing to babies because it's all in the intonation of your voice , the mental health act is another good one!

:cloud9: floating through life on a cloud of bubbles

#57 phiguru

phiguru

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:54 PM

You're not alone , I got told off by the health visitor and my mother for reading the children's act to the tiddle up to get him to go to sleep {hey it works!!}
:twisted_witch: You can make anything sound appealing to babies because it's all in the intonation of your voice , the mental health act is another good one!

I've read the Riot Act and the Federalist/Anti-Federalist Papers to my child with the same purpose! I know my mother used to read the newspaper to me because she wanted to read the newspaper and I wanted a story. Even now, I listen to the BBC News if I can't sleep. (When did the news readers stop saying, "Read by"?)

#58 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:03 PM

"The Silver Bough: Calendar of Scottish National Festivals - Candlemas to Harvest Home v. 2" by F Marian McNeill.

#59 Redd

Redd

Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:32 PM

Re-reading the Sweep series by Cate Tiernan

Practical Psychic Self-Defense by Robert Bruce

Instant Magick by Christopher Penczak

-Andy

Powers of the Witches rise, course unseen across the skies. Through blackest night and brightest day, I call you now to come my way.

#60 sophiadawn

sophiadawn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:21 AM

Just finished reading "Wicked Weeds" by Amy Stewart. It is from the gardening section at the local Borders. It is about plants that misbehave, are poisonous, noxious, and just bad mannered.