Photo
- - - - -

Stones

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

I have stones and rocks that I brought with me when we moved here.  They carry the energy of 'home'.  I have worn down shells from the special place I've found along the coast.

I also have a small collection of crystals that I work with that I've purchased.  I believe that crystals have their own inherent properties and spirit.  I have a set of recently awakened stones that are incredible to work with. 

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#62 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

I have some really interesting stones that I've dug out of the local woods. They have a really high mineral content and are coated in the most beautiful shades of green and blue. I prefer using stones I have collected and dug up myself for a lot of my workings.

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#63 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:19 PM

I like the stones with the embedded colors, too, Degu.  I find, however, that if I remove them from their place of origin the colors fade or else I perceive them as less brilliant or vivid.  In some cases, I have found it better to conduct the working in that area, not removing the stone.  It depends if the stone is located in a spot that is away from public view, though.  Many times, I have had to stealthily grab a particular stone and conceal it in my pocket.  :D

#64 Chloe

Chloe

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:49 PM

I had a really great collection of stones I had shipped back from Montana. My favorite was this beautiful small rainbow stone. Just really cool and I've never found anything out in nature like it before. I had them all set up on a tree stump with some driftwood and a cactus (I didn't steal the cactus from the land, I got it in Colorado) that I also shipped back. It was a really nice outdoor altar set up that commemorated my two month journey on the other side of the country.

... and then my nephew came to visit and half my rocks went missing, including my pretty rainbow rock. I found him traveling through the back yard with three different rocks in his hands and various other rocks dropped throughout the yard on his path but not that one rock. So learning lesson, if you're really fond of a specific rock lock it away safe and sound. I'm still not over losing that rock and it's been 2 years lol.

Just got a chance to really read through all the post, so in replying to the original post... I do prefer gemstones over regular everyday stones and rocks that I've found just because of the basic fact they have long standing meanings and properties. Usually I pick out my jewelry for the day based on this. One day I may feel the need to wear my red coral necklace and the next I may be wearing my jade necklace. Similarly, I may set up certain stones on my altar that have specific properties related to the work I'm doing or what the altar is being decorated for. I have a collection of different types of gemstones (very small, about 15 fit into a small box) that I got from a gift shop at a local mine, a box full of quartz, a couple large amethyst as well as about five different types of gemstone necklaces. Otherwise, I have a ton of random rocks, shells, shark teeth, dried out starfish, etc that are all personally collected by myself and used for various purposes.

Edited by Chloe, 13 January 2014 - 06:19 AM.

#65 Galen

Galen

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

I use stones frequently in my workings, and do prefer ones I find on my daily walks. That being said, a few years ago I was in a local craft store and she had a beautiful Moonstone in the case that I really connected with. It is now one of the stones I tend to use the most.

#66 Scott

Scott

Irritatingly Thoughtful

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:23 AM

Greetings RF, All

I have done and do from time to time but that said I should point out that it is like a fork for spaghetti! If it's bolognese or carbonara you need a specific but o cutlery .. but now if it is that dread stuff from the yellow Heinze tim .. then a spoon will do just fine or perhaps just a bit o toast!

I have had chances to use stone a lot having lived in lots of idfferent places down and up our lovely AU east coast and still to this day suggest people get themsleves a mutt. Walk along a road and wait till one stubs your toe .. all the better if it is a copnglomerate of all sorts. THESE will talk to you so much quicker than those lovely icy quartz crystals or scatty opals ...

Besides the more specific you get the more specific the job. Give me a swiss army rock with all sorts mixed in any day!

Scott

New Me! Now with added incomprehensibilityfullness for your convenience!

#67 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:54 PM

The kind of Stones I am interested in are below. I have vastly smaller stones at home one of which is a Hag-stone whilst the other serves as our altar stone since it has a face carved on one side and I believe was used during rites in the place that I found it. Since I will be adding to this - if I am allowed, since in the two weeks we were on Orkney we visited most of what is Orkney, visiting Neolithic villages, Stone Circles and Passage Tombs and Brochs. We saw burials complete with Skeletal remains of Humans sometimes in a viewing room, sometimes on a farm where a farmer had dug up the bones sensitively, and not leaving a stone or fragment that meant 'something' to the people 'it' or 'they' surrounded. These farmers were 'canny' insofar as they asked archaeologists who came to dig on their land what they intended to do with the finds on their land and most said they would be farmed out to the various Museums in Scotland, whereupon, most farmers dug their toes in the land, pulled out a shotgun and told the Archaeologists in no uncertain terms to get off their land! The furthest Passage tomb from Orkney proper was on an island farthest from Orkney to the south called South Ronaldsay, where we met the Tomb of the Eagles just yards from a cliff straight down to the North Sea three hundred feet below. The tomb of the Eagles is larger than Unstan - another Passage grave we visited and 'connected' with its ancestors. The bones of course had long gone - shipped off to the Museum in Kirkwall as was the same for the Tomb of the Eagles, but Spirits don't need their bones when they can roam the passages and yelp 'Boo!' at anyone psychic enough to hear them! Orkney itself, is a large island, and had a lot of Stone Circles on it. Some such as the Ring of Steness (The Temple of the Moon) - so called by the locals we could see from our bedroom window at the cottage we had rented. It was a wonderful sight as well as a Templic Site. It carries a huge altar stone four feet by four feet to the North of the two largest stones some thirty-five feet high with an angled shape near the top as though pointing to something in the sky. At night , we braved the Ness (a narrow causeway across the Loch to the Ring of Steness which was some distance past the Ring of Brodgar - the largest at, at least one hundred feet in diametre. Its stones having a similar pointed look like teeth waiting for lunch. Brodgar had an outlyer called the Comet Stone to the South, and judging by its position, must be somewhat like the Heel Stone at Stonehenge - pointing the rising of the Sun on Midsummer. At the opposite end of the Ring of Brodgar was a similar though lower and smaller stone marking out the Winter Solstice in December. The Comet stone though was carved near the top giving it the appearance of a male Penis. So it wasn't difficult to reason that this was used for fertility rites at some time in the past. The Ring of Steness didn't have these outlyers like Brodgar did and must have been used for a different focus. The Watch Stone - part of the Stenness complex was divorced from the circle proper by the Road which seemed to bisect it from the main circle - but I don't think this mattered too much to the stones or to the builder's of the circle in the first instance. We went to Stenness at night and we had a full Moon on the stones. It was a beautiful sight The shimmering patterns on the stones from the Moon didn't just light up the stones but seemed to make them glow slightly. There are three stones like an altar with two stones close together - like a siting slot between them, where, on midsummer's day, the light of the Sunset would creep across the land for two miles or so to the Chambered Cairn of Maes Howe, where we were told by its 'keeper' the sun would shine down the entrance and light up the 'cells' of the burials on either side of Cairn. This last burial place wouldn't allow us or anyone visiting, to photograph the inside of Maes Howe for any reason - though we paid £8.00 each to get into it and see the viking scribbles that had been put there when they were forced to shelter in the tomb one wild and stormy night. We have photographs to accompany this post, and we will reduce them in size (since I took them using the raw format on my camera to preserve all of the details that they could give). But that's for later! You may ask questions or comment as you wish and I'll do my best to answer all questions. foxman

#68 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:11 AM

One of the things I do is heal. I use stones such as Moonstone, Jade, Jadeite, and when I can get them, adventurite or Cochoscolla. My Moonstone Wand is about four inches long rounded at one end and roughly pointed at the other though it would be kinder to say it was a rounded point - which is useful to get into crannies when healing. I also have a Selenite wand which is about eight inches long and I have had a lot of success with this since its been with me longer than the Moonstone. I also dowse using the traditional Hazel though not always as a forked stick - since it will twist whichever way I hold it. Maybe too, I may also publish photos of some of my wands on here since they can be seen to show the work I pour into them when making them. My treasure is my Irish Bog-Oak Staff. Its carved with a snake all the way down the shaft so that it looks a little like Barley Sugar and it has two Ogham at the top that I hold when projecting it. It stands five feet high and two inches thick in parts and i've been told by Trinity College, Dublin, that its at least 6,500 years old and no more than 7,000 years old. It was dug out of the Peat at Drumshanbo, Eire in 1990. And no, I didn't carve this staff I got an Irish Druid to do it for me at the time in Eire. The carving was not on the staff when I found it and being Oak its not straight since it has twists in it similar to a capenter's brace. foxman

#69 Lilu

Lilu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:34 PM

So I was at my wits end given I had been bleeding for 3 weeks. I went to a local health store 'The Nature People' where they have stones and hand mixed organic teas and oils and lotions, anyway I grabbed a moonstone. I cleansed it quickly and put it in the lining of my underwear. 2 days later I am not bleeding.

Its great! You know what they say about coincidence, the univers is rarely so lazy.

Anyone else have good experience with moonstone?

From my phone.

My Writer Support Forum http://heretherebewriters.jcink.net a positive home to any kind of writer.

#70 Revan

Revan

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:18 AM

Can't say that I've had any experience, good or bad, with moonstone. I have always felt drawn to it though.

Since it's so plentiful where I live, my mother and I work a lot with quartz (both rose and regular) and obsidian. My mother used to have a large quartz crystal ball that she used for scrying (unfortunately her stepbrother stole it). She told me that obsidian is also good to use for scrying. We also like to use obsidian needles for other rituals and crafts. They make really nice chimes and the larger needles makes nice athames if you know how to shape them.

#71 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:52 PM

I live on a patch of red volcanic land and rounded lumps of very dense scoria (almost basaltic) are constantly appearing when gardening.

They are the bones of my whenua (the land on which I walk).

They grace the tops of many fenceposts around my boundary and live at the base of many fruit trees in the orchard.

They are the only stone I have used in works for the home-land space.

But, this said I do pick up polished crystals from time to time when they call out to me in a 'woowoo' shop, and occasionally I will purchase a particular stone for use in a mobile/human focused/externally directed task.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.