70 replies to this topic

#41 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:39 PM

Labradorite is one of my favorite stones as well. I have several some are cut gemstone quality, others are just polished or rough. Even my favorite pendulum is made of labradorite.

I do use stones in my workings farily often as there are just so many uses for them. I enjoy working with salt (its protective qualities are great around any home), aquamarine, quartz, amethyst and moonstones to just name a few. I feel that all stones (really anything from the Earth) has its own energies and properties. It really doesn't matter if it is a gemstone or one from your local hiking spot or yard. Now a stone can become so corrupted with negativity or over use that it hardly has any energy left in it to feel or use.

That's interesting, Figment, that a stone can become 'empty'. I've never felt that personally. I do agree with you about salt.

Edited by Absinthe, 13 April 2011 - 03:40 PM.

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#42 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:44 PM

could you not experiment at this.... and call a stone to you from the area in this park, that is near to you?
Regards,
Gypsy

I did this recently really feeling the need to have a hagstone but never having seen one in the area. I called and it came to me. It's worth trying.

Definitely works, IMO. I recently called hagstones back to me because I had lost my entire collection of them, and I've been finding them everywhere. Picked up another large one at the creek last weekend, and found several more that I didn't bring home. Found an awesome little one in a driveway too. lol

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#43 Figment

Figment

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:53 PM

Hi Figment,

Would you please expound or clarify this for me, is this knowledge that you submit from personal experiance ? Thank you!
Regards,
Gypsy

From what I have seen, stones are not something that can take infinite about of any sort of energy, good or bad. That is why it is good to cleanse and charge your stones on a regular basis if they are constantly used. I think of them like a sponge. If you put a sponge in clean water it will absorb clean water, but if you put it in a stagnat pool it will absorb that as well. If you don't ring it out or wash it, it will eventually become useless. The same thing is true with stones, at least that is my opinion and what I was taught.

For example, one of my mentors gave me a stone and told me to shut my eyes and just feel. I could felt warmth and comfort... it was a beach stone that she has charged. Then she gave me another stone and I was told to do the same. I almost broke into tears the stone made me so sad, it was just an overwhelming depressing feeling...it was a stone that had once belong to a friend of hers. The stone absorbed so much the her friend's sadness and depression that it started to project it. So the orginal use of the stone was completely lost.

Sorry about not replying sooner, I'm couldn't find this post till just now, lol. I'm still learning the forum..:crazy:

#44 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:29 PM

From what I have seen, stones are not something that can take infinite about of any sort of energy, good or bad. That is why it is good to cleanse and charge your stones on a regular basis if they are constantly used. I think of them like a sponge. If you put a sponge in clean water it will absorb clean water, but if you put it in a stagnat pool it will absorb that as well. If you don't ring it out or wash it, it will eventually become useless. The same thing is true with stones, at least that is my opinion and what I was taught.

For example, one of my mentors gave me a stone and told me to shut my eyes and just feel. I could felt warmth and comfort... it was a beach stone that she has charged. Then she gave me another stone and I was told to do the same. I almost broke into tears the stone made me so sad, it was just an overwhelming depressing feeling...it was a stone that had once belong to a friend of hers. The stone absorbed so much the her friend's sadness and depression that it started to project it. So the orginal use of the stone was completely lost.

Sorry about not replying sooner, I'm couldn't find this post till just now, lol. I'm still learning the forum..:crazy:

Oh thank you for the reply, I so agree with the cleanse and charge aspect to stones, and my brow raised as why you didn't elaborate. Perhaps your mentor left the stone in that state, to keep her friend close in her last feelings of it, as sadness is such a heavy resonating emotion. I've often wondered about the culture of others with the usage of stones of " Worry ", and the mundane touching and rubbing of those stones that those of that culture utilize for their composure and self validation. In as much as the Myans ( or other ancient Warriors ) would use a stone or pebbles to put in their mouths to generate the saliva to keep on thier run or march. Stones are such a gift and hold so many mysteries to uncover. I wonder how many stones have incorporated the essence of another or why a stone is passed from one generation to another, I'm surmizing of course to a connection or cord to the owner, only because of my big old stone that I have, hell I didn't know it was a Hagstone until I got the validation from the forum. Now its meaning is much more to me because of it's connection to the Craft. I'll be forever grateful.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#45 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:45 PM

I've often wondered about the culture of others with the usage of stones of " Worry ", and the mundane touching and rubbing of those stones that those of that culture utilize for their composure and self validation.

In relation to this, there are also prayer beads, rosaries, etc. that are often made from stones. I have a small string of obsidian Islamic prayer beads that my husband gave me, he got them when he was in Turkey.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#46 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:01 PM

I don't cleanse and charge my stones, and I'll tell you why...just my opinion and not that I have anything against those who do, different folks - different, well you get the idea.

To me, a stone (rock, whatnot) contains the lands energies, it's energy is different then our own and different then say, a trees - stones bear remarkable differences in energies depending on the stellar influences, seasonal and moon tides (give it a try, you'd be surprised!). To me, cleansing and charging a crystal, stone, etc. defeats the purpose of working with a stones unique energy. I think to me this is why I grab stones from the wild, because they contain within them the energy of the land from which they've come. I collected a beautiful moon-pebble (a round beautifully milky white quartz) on the night of the full moon, half in the ocean water and half on the land - the energy of this stone is so remarkably different then the brown mossy slab I found in the forest to be my hearth stone - I couldn't imagine cleansing or charging them because to me - they are perfect "wells" of the distinct impress of both places and both times. Just some things to muse on... :)

"Nothing is truly forgotten about the Arte, for within it's own domain - The Circle - the spirits will speak to those with ears to hear." - Andrew D. Chumbley

"And thus the Flesh of Clay was flayed, and from Earth's greenery, a New Flesh made!"

#47 Babooshka

Babooshka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:20 PM

I don't cleanse and charge my stones, and I'll tell you why...just my opinion and not that I have anything against those who do, different folks - different, well you get the idea.

To me, a stone (rock, whatnot) contains the lands energies, it's energy is different then our own and different then say, a trees - stones bear remarkable differences in energies depending on the stellar influences, seasonal and moon tides (give it a try, you'd be surprised!). To me, cleansing and charging a crystal, stone, etc. defeats the purpose of working with a stones unique energy. I think to me this is why I grab stones from the wild, because they contain within them the energy of the land from which they've come. I collected a beautiful moon-pebble (a round beautifully milky white quartz) on the night of the full moon, half in the ocean water and half on the land - the energy of this stone is so remarkably different then the brown mossy slab I found in the forest to be my hearth stone - I couldn't imagine cleansing or charging them because to me - they are perfect "wells" of the distinct impress of both places and both times. Just some things to muse on... :)

That makes sense, would you have the same view on cleansing and charging crystals that you would buy in a shop?

Here to discuss, debate, listen and learn.

#48 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:45 PM

That makes sense, would you have the same view on cleansing and charging crystals that you would buy in a shop?

I may differ on my point of view in this instance, I've never honestly bought a crystal from a shop, to me the crystals innate power comes from the land in which it resides and is influenced by the stellar, seasonal tides, moon-tides, and it's own unique molecular structure. The way I interact with stones is most likely dramatically different then one who uses the properties of say "Emerald" or Lapis Lazuli" - I see "Quartz from the Ocean Beach", or "Mossy rock from a Crossroads." If I had bought a Quartz from a shop I wouldn't have any link to it's land of origin - but If I was too buy one, I would stretch my senses and buy one that "felt" right and leave well alone any holding particular energies I found degrading to it's work - to me this would obliterate any need to cleanse or charge.

"Nothing is truly forgotten about the Arte, for within it's own domain - The Circle - the spirits will speak to those with ears to hear." - Andrew D. Chumbley

"And thus the Flesh of Clay was flayed, and from Earth's greenery, a New Flesh made!"

#49 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:55 PM

I may differ on my point of view in this instance, I've never honestly bought a crystal from a shop, to me the crystals innate power comes from the land in which it resides and is influenced by the stellar, seasonal tides, moon-tides, and it's own unique molecular structure. The way I interact with stones is most likely dramatically different then one who uses the properties of say "Emerald" or Lapis Lazuli" - I see "Quartz from the Ocean Beach", or "Mossy rock from a Crossroads." If I had bought a Quartz from a shop I wouldn't have any link to it's land of origin - but If I was too buy one, I would stretch my senses and buy one that "felt" right and leave well alone any holding particular energies I found degrading to it's work - to me this would obliterate any need to cleanse or charge.

I agree with what you're saying about natural rocks. On the other hand, I have purchased crystals from shops before to use them to transmit energy because I felt that their physical composition was conducive to the types of energy I wanted to transmit. In these instances, its more (to me) about "using" the crystal/stone than actually working 'with' the crystal/stone, and here I would cleanse and charge it.

#50 Babooshka

Babooshka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:01 PM

I think I know where your coming from, so you seem to me to be making the distinction between working the stone for the properties it holds from the land it came from, rather than using it for the properties of the stone itself e.g.composition, structure like someone might do if they were to buy a rose quartz from a crystal shop. Correct me if i'm wrong :)

Here to discuss, debate, listen and learn.

#51 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:16 PM

I think I know where your coming from, so you seem to me to be making the distinction between working the stone for the properties it holds from the land it came from, rather than using it for the properties of the stone itself e.g.composition, structure like someone might do if they were to buy a rose quartz from a crystal shop. Correct me if i'm wrong :)

I think in general this is how I've interacted with stones, which is why I never cleanse or charge them. I have a pretty basic understanding of the general properties of stones and how their molecular structure and formation can alter it's properties (I.E. Quartz stone vs. Beryl) so I do take that into consideration but more so it's working with and through the stone to serve my purpose. Like a Hagstone, it holds a unique sense of energy in itself different then the Godstone.

#52 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:12 PM

Like a Hagstone, it holds a unique sense of energy in itself different then the Godstone.

Forgive my ignorance, Grimr; I have (and love) my collection of Hagstones - but what is a Godstone?

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#53 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:22 AM

I would do the same too Grimr, as I only really work with rocks and pebbles that I find on my local beaches.
I have crystals which I have bought, but I am more interested in using these for making crystal remedies (like energized water), but I tend to work with the sea stones more.

For me nothing beats picking a stone of a beach, which is continually being battered by the waves. The sea decides which ones are taken and which ones are left.

And you made a good point about the stones varying depending on the moon tides and seasonal tides too. Along with using the waxing/waning of the moon, I would take into account what the tide is doing if I am working on the beach if I am doing something bigger. You can really work with tide bringing things to you, or taking things away.

Like the sound of the mossy rocks too though, I don't take much from the woods, but you've got me interested!

#54 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:32 PM

I agree with what you're saying about natural rocks. On the other hand, I have purchased crystals from shops before to use them to transmit energy because I felt that their physical composition was conducive to the types of energy I wanted to transmit. In these instances, its more (to me) about "using" the crystal/stone than actually working 'with' the crystal/stone, and here I would cleanse and charge it.

I certainly can understand that. :)

#55 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:49 PM

Forgive my ignorance, Grimr; I have (and love) my collection of Hagstones - but what is a Godstone?

Within some groups of Traditional Craft they make use of a "Godstone" which is actually various types. One such is the "Pillar Stone" which, like the Herme(?) Pillars act multiform in being the transmitting power of the God, The Central Axis Mundi (The Point), and phallic poer of death and regeneration. Here is an interesting quote from Northumbria detailing the meeting which took place at a godstone (or rather was erected)
"Ann Armstrong declared that 'she and the rest had drawne their compasse nigh to a bridg end, and the devil placed a stone in the middle of the compasse, they sett themselves downe, and bending towards the stone, repeated the Lord's prayer backwards'. Denham Tracts, ii, p. 307"

Other examples of the "Godstone" are represented by the whetstone and the stone skull - which bears importance when looked at the God as featured in notable traditions of Witchcraft. They bear unique energies and serve different purposes from the Hagstone.

#56 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:36 PM

Grim - I have to thank you for bringing up godstones... I have several stones I use for different things, but I have not found a stone I continually related to as a godstone. When reading the post and thinking about the godstone, I realize I was presented with one several years back, lol. My son had gone to the beach with his buds and happened upon a 9 pound oval-ish coral rock. Thinking it would appeal to me he carried it around with hiim all day and brought it home to me. For the last several years it has been standing up in my rosemary hedge, lol. Duh. The stone is huge, powerful, deep, quiet, intense, a living thing-turned stone (like the skull in many ways), male-gifted, and male-gifted to me. Although a coral rock may not be what some would think of as a godstone, the very earth we walk on in Florida is lime-stone and coral rock... It's perfect. And my son gave it to me.

M

#57 Ahrazura

Ahrazura

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:51 PM

Grim - I have to thank you for bringing up godstones... I have several stones I use for different things, but I have not found a stone I continually related to as a godstone. When reading the post and thinking about the godstone, I realize I was presented with one several years back, lol. My son had gone to the beach with his buds and happened upon a 9 pound oval-ish coral rock. Thinking it would appeal to me he carried it around with hiim all day and brought it home to me. For the last several years it has been standing up in my rosemary hedge, lol. Duh. The stone is huge, powerful, deep, quiet, intense, a living thing-turned stone (like the skull in many ways), male-gifted, and male-gifted to me. Although a coral rock may not be what some would think of as a godstone, the very earth we walk on in Florida is lime-stone and coral rock... It's perfect. And my son gave it to me.

M

M,
If you think about the link to the sea that is held by the 'People of Goda' I would think that a coral stone would work very well.

As to the cleaning of a stone, I use obsidian most and clean mine with my own spit. There be much lore therein lol.

Regards,
Ahrazura

#58 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:46 PM

M,
If you think about the link to the sea that is held by the 'People of Goda' I would think that a coral stone would work very well.

As to the cleaning of a stone, I use obsidian most and clean mine with my own spit. There be much lore therein lol.

Regards,
Ahrazura

OMGCB - look what the cat dragged in!!!!!!! Good to see you (BIG grin!!). Yeah, I can't beliee I had that all these years, lol. But again, I also think it is good he's been sitting out in the rosemary hedge, too. Bit of a style now, too, lol. I often use spit to "water" as an offering when I am out in public and can't do anything too obvious. Cleaning with spit would also "mark" a thing if you will, a connection withone's essence, I think. I rarely go into deep-cleaning rituals of any sort - usually I would just hold something under running water and then blow on it several times. Awwwwwwwwww. Hope all is well with you and yours and your ventures are behaving themselves:-)

M xoxox

#59 Ahrazura

Ahrazura

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:11 PM

OMGCB - look what the cat dragged in!!!!!!! Good to see you (BIG grin!!). Yeah, I can't beliee I had that all these years, lol. But again, I also think it is good he's been sitting out in the rosemary hedge, too. Bit of a style now, too, lol. I often use spit to "water" as an offering when I am out in public and can't do anything too obvious. Cleaning with spit would also "mark" a thing if you will, a connection withone's essence, I think. I rarely go into deep-cleaning rituals of any sort - usually I would just hold something under running water and then blow on it several times. Awwwwwwwwww. Hope all is well with you and yours and your ventures are behaving themselves:-)

M xoxox

M,
Yes you make a valid point about breath being another method of imbuing an object/ tool with one's own essence. Point of fact, in the original Hebrew of Genesis it is the 'breath' of god which is blown into Adam. This is obviously one reason that we claim inherent divinity.
I have sent a missive to people on another forum saying that I waste my time on a forum which seems rather dead. I considered my thoughts would be better received here with the rest of the gang. At least there is evidence of magickal interaction here.Again we see the problem with witchery forums which pollute the www. People fall in love with the title of witch yet are not prepared to do a stroke of work to earn that title. To that end I must congratulate Admin and the extant list for showing the spark.

Best wishes,
Ahrazura

#60 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:25 AM

I may differ on my point of view in this instance, I've never honestly bought a crystal from a shop, to me the crystals innate power comes from the land in which it resides and is influenced by the stellar, seasonal tides, moon-tides, and it's own unique molecular structure.

I share Grimr's perspective, as stones that I utilize in my workings come from particular areas, places that I am familiar with and/or have special meaning to me.  I am in love with plain, everyday, find them everywhere rocks.  The type is really unimportant.  It is the size, shape, feel, time, place, etc. that attract me to a specific stone.  Unfortunately, one of my favorite places to collect rocks - a secluded area, which is flooded and drained, repeatedly, by a nearby dam - suddenly was deemed off limits to collectors, as apparently people were taking too many pretty pebbles from its shores.