70 replies to this topic

#1 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:09 PM

I was wondering if any of you all use specific stones for your workings. I know I have found that certain gemstones do help with some of my workings. However, I was talking to someone at the store I work at about stones and their energies, and this customer did not believe that the stones helped him any with his magical working. Instead he would just use stones from his own front yard or the side of the road, or the ones he found while walking in the woods. I agree with him that some of the more "normal" stones that you find laying around are very useful. However, I had to disagree with him about the use of the gemstones. I have made two attraction oils once. One adding two magnetic lodestones to it, and the other oil only using the specific oils and no magnetic stones. I found the one with the lodestones more potent.
So what about you guys?

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#2 Nyx

Nyx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:13 PM

I haven't used them into any of my spell work but I belive that different stones have different energies and powers! I've currently started to carry around a Blue Lace Agate stone and I belive it makes a difference for when I get stressed.

"Let us sleep for in dreams we enter a world that’s entirely our own.
Let us swim through the deepest ocean or glide over the highest cloud."

#3 Jason

Jason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:04 PM

The use of stones has its place within my practice. All stones I work with however have been gifted while out and about gathering in the wild. I do not purchase any commerial stones as to me personally any benefit they may have will be lost because the method of extracting is often blasting them out of the earth to obtain mass quatities. Not exactly in keeping with any vibratory resonance the stone may have, and not exactly respectful. lol

I utilise hag stones within my workings for various purposes, such as protecion and also weather magic. I also use various stones found out and about that I allow to communicate their usage to me. The way they are employed are various obviously. They are not always pretty or perfect, but they have a unique purpose and have much more meaning to me personally. And I have had some wonderful finds over the years. Some striking, some plain but still potent.

I also have my hearth stone and a good sized piece of quartz (being something that can be panned for naturally and connects to the serpentine flow) that are used in many workings or gathering serpent energy for empowering or used as focal points, channels etc.

Stones have a unique and strong link to many things and many connections that im sure many are aware of such as the stone circles, megaliths etc found in many cultures in many lands.

So for me, the use of stones is quite natural as part of crafting. Utilising whats around and tapping into power that exists all around. Simple, natural but very potent aids when gathered from the wild and out and about by natural means.

He who is illuminated with the Darkest Shadow,
will shine with the Brightest Light

#4 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:25 AM

Hag stones? what are these I have not come across this term before.
My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#5 Marion

Marion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:28 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2503[/ATTACH]Hag or holy stones are stones with holes through them. Not drilled by hand but worn away through centuries. I have one...might dig out the picture later (see pic).
There it is, the stone to the left is "my stone", the holey/Holy/hag stone has the chain through the holes so you can better see where they are, and the pendant is something I picked up in 23 Enigma, in Glasgow :)

I use a combination of wild found stones and shop bought, although I do find ome of the shop bought ones sluggish, and seem to take three times longer to charge.

Attached Files

Edited by Marion, 31 January 2010 - 04:34 AM.
Adding pic

"Bart, the ability to add two-digit numbers does not make you a witch" ~ Lisa Simpson

Always up to witchery ~ Marion

#6 Jason

Jason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:56 PM

As Marion said, Hag stones are basically stones with a hole running through the centre. Also called holey stones in certain quarters aswell. They have many assocations.

The most common being that of warding of the evil hag, witches, the dead. Cunning folk utilised them as talismanic charms against the evil eye.

They can be also used in healing, general protection. They also have a great connection to the faery realm and are believed by some to be the keys to seeing and entering the faery nocturnalia. Finding a hag stone at a mound is obviously considered to be very potent.

And also as I said, they do work well within weather magic and conjurations. I have a special one that I reserve for this purpose thats of a particular shape, hue and size.

Its traditional that the hag stone should be found and gifted while out and about, not purchased.

I also find it has use as an entrance to other. Visulaising the opening as a door. Connected again to the realm of 'other', it can be focused upon as a portal for crossing over. I find it works well for me personally.

Edited by Jason, 31 January 2010 - 04:16 PM.
Typos

#7 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:31 PM

One of the stones I am mostly drawn to is `Rose Quartz`

What works for one does not mean it works for another. I believe you have to feel what is right for you and not allow someone to tell you what is right for you. "We live we learn" I never went looking for any stones, I didn't know much about them until they found me, the rest came one step at a time, I am always learning. :sunny:

#8 Dawn

Dawn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:57 AM

I work with crystals and gems and stone. I think that was my first real love, as a child, collecting gem stones.

The last time i went to Avebury I pushed my gem stones, after meditating heavily on them, into the Stones at Avebury. I pushed them far enough in to ensure no one could get them out. I like it that something so personal of my is in Avebury, I love that place.

#9 Rustling Leaves

Rustling Leaves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:31 PM

The last time i went to Avebury I pushed my gem stones, after meditating heavily on them, into the Stones at Avebury. I pushed them far enough in to ensure no one could get them out. I like it that something so personal of my is in Avebury, I love that place.

Funnily enough, last year during Spring Equinox, My wife and I took some crystal with the intent to push in the ground at Avebury, unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond our control, we were unable to, but, we did press them in the ground at Waylands Smithy instead...

#10 Guest_twistedbee_*

Guest_twistedbee_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:04 PM

I use hag stones from the beach and I use them for certain specific things. The ones from the beach are really smooth, having been worn smooth by the sea and sand. The sea is something special for me, so stones found there have a great deal of meaning. My runes also came from the sea, I waited until the tide was out going, and found the rune stones in the sand which had been washed by the sea.

#11 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:50 PM

I certainly do use crystals and stones quite a bit in my work, optioning for the more rough found-in-the-garden kind. I am lucky that the beaches here are loaded with natural rough quartz crystal. How I use them is dependent on the working at hand however in general I like to use a piece of quartz to contain the land sprowl, an altar stone, and a Godstone.
"Nothing is truly forgotten about the Arte, for within it's own domain - The Circle - the spirits will speak to those with ears to hear." - Andrew D. Chumbley

"And thus the Flesh of Clay was flayed, and from Earth's greenery, a New Flesh made!"

#12 Jason

Jason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:50 AM

I certainly do use crystals and stones quite a bit in my work, optioning for the more rough found-in-the-garden kind. I am lucky that the beaches here are loaded with natural rough quartz crystal. How I use them is dependent on the working at hand however in general I like to use a piece of quartz to contain the land sprowl, an altar stone, and a Godstone.

Hey u!

I too am lucky that the area I live is rich in possibilities for places to pan for natural rough gems and crystals. And all sorts of other interesting variety of stones have come my way while out and about.

And I also use my quartz in the same way, gathering serpentine force (or land sprowl) as I said.

I also make use of the Godstone. Obviously it has its place alongside the hagstone, and both are symbolically useful as im sure you are aware within certain rites, to connect to various mythos. lol

#13 Cedar

Cedar

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:26 PM

Stones are very much a part of my workings and lifestyle. I do not purchase stones from rock shops, preferring to find my own when I'm out and about. If a rock calls to me, I take it home with me and add it to my collection. I have several oddly shapped stones as well as hag stones that mean different things to me and serve different purposes. I have one stone in particular that has a very special place in my life. I also love to use stones to decorate my home.

#14 Patrima

Patrima

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:00 AM

Oh, I have buckets of stones. As Grimr noted, the beaches on this coast have amazing quartz and all sorts of coloured lovelies. I use them all the time. I do not, however, regularly buy stones- it doesn't feel right somehow- I feel like I am cheating my hand-gathered stones out of the opportunity to participate in my workings. I am sure they're waiting for the day that they get picked out of the bucket. ;) I like how the sea sends me things. Or my garden- it is always pushing up interesting stones for me. Spring time is great for this, as my garden always pops up new pretty things for me to keep and use. I have never been given so many presents in my life as those I have received from my garden. And they are always potent gifts. :) I find store-bought stones less 'contented', like they are depressed or something. Processed, maybe? Difficult to explain or describe.

#15 Honeythorn

Honeythorn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:34 PM

I find store-bought stones less 'contented', like they are depressed or something. Processed, maybe? Difficult to explain or describe.

This could be due to the way they are extracted from the earth, not to mention that such stones, espescially the polished ones, are then often cleaned and polished/processed in a factory instead of being rolled and washed by the sea/rivers and earth.

I simply collect stones myself. I don't know how to use them but I have a real urge for collectng the things. I absolutely cannot walk on a stony beach upright. I'm always to be found bent at a right angle facing the ground looking for things, be it stones shells, bones ect.

#16 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:45 PM

Dawn I live 10 mins from Avebury, tell me next time you are down.
I have many assorted stones and crystals which i use, One huge amethyst handed down toy me from a fellow witch who died,others i have found and some i've bought :) Love em.

#17 Dawn

Dawn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:50 AM

I will indeed hun!

#18 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:56 PM

Although I do own some crystals, I don't use them. I really use very little these days that is store-bought, other than candals, herbs (if I can't grow them), and a blade. I love holey stones and they are plentyful on the beach here, so I have many and use them to tie workings into, or as an entrance during trance, meditations, or dreams. I do have a stone that I found on the beach which is shaped like a vagina and I use that as a representative of the female form. I also have a large piece of old coral that my son found on the beach for me that is conical in shape and has a spiral going all the way through it. I tend to prefer the "found" things to the bought things.

M

#19 Honeythorn

Honeythorn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:46 PM

I do have a stone that I found on the beach which is shaped like a vagina and I use that as a representative of the female form.

M

Funny you should mention that, I found a stone on the beach when I was about 13 that is most definitely VERY male in form that's always made me smile !:P Though I have always referred to him as a "him" , I've never used this stone for anything, just kept him in a separate bag alongside a holey/hag stone I was given by a friend.

#20 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:19 PM

Lodestones and hagstones are ones I use regularly. Occasionally I have used smoky quartz. Otherwise, I tend not to use stones, or crystals at all.