Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mcdee2005

depression

Ok folks call me stupid.....

Anybody got any thing to help with depression?

tried all the usual nothing seems to help and before anybody asks no it is not for me.....

McD

I know its like the most obvious one, but when i'm feeling really down or stressed out, I meditate.

I can sit for hours and just listen to myself or perhaps 'build' my inner-wall back up. Again, it all depends why this person is depressed.

Greif, distress, panic etc...

Well, herbal remedies like St. John's Wort may help - though it takes time and it's not that strong. I know, I've tried.

Borage, if you can get it, also is supposed to give you a mood lift. I haven't tried it myself. You could also try 5HTP, sold in drug stores and larger dept stores.

I also found, believe it or not- regular exercise helps. Last summer I joined a local gym, determined to lose the little bit o' spare tire I had.

I lost nearly 25 lbs, which definitely improved my mood, but also found that regularly exercise was boosting the right hormones too. I felt pretty good for a while.

Only, I had to stop lifting and training due to an injury I got in October. :razz: Argh. Foiled again!

Life has conspired against me to such a degree (thanks for nothing, Verdandi, Skuld and Urd) that all that was still not enough. If things don't improve naturally, I'd recommend doing what I did and going to your doctor and getting hooked up with an SSRI medication... or for whomever you're talking about.

I started with Paxil but it drove my blood pressure insane, so now I'm trying Celexa which seems more compatible. Not sure yet how effective it is, though.

The Doctor thing is not really an option, and as i said its not for me but my daughter. Exercise worked to start with but now is only a light relieve . Natural is obviously the best way to go. she had a lot of bad times with ex's etc and is now heading out to spain to try and get away from things. I'd like to think that we've explored every avenue before admiting defeat to modern medicine .

McD

Oh, absolutely. Modern medicine was my last resort and suggestion, for both your daughter and myself. SSRIs often backfire with younger people anyway, producing worse depression. Not good.

You're cool with herbal remedies though, no? St. John's Wort, Borage, and 5HTP(I think) are all herbal based and natural enough.

Ah, just read your last post most closely.. so, this is due mostly to a broken heart then, not necessarily a chemical imbalance kind of thing or long term chronic sucky situation?

OH man.. nothing on earth can fix that but time, or another new love interest. Sounds she'll need something to boost self-esteem, because I know everytime I got dumped (if that's what it is, and it happened a lot to me) I felt unwanted and worthless. Not typical for a guy but I'm sensitive like that. If it's not that but that she can't find a "good" guy, just remind her that men always outnumber women, and she can take her pick, relatively speaking. Guys are a lot less likely to refuse an advance than woman are, and guys much more likely to make an advance than women too. Sometimes I was really envious of that. Women can also dress up a little (or down, as the case may be!) and learn to use make up correctly to make themselves more attractive, but a guy can't: if a guy is not Brad Pitt's double, or doesn't project as a successful "alpha male" somehow, there's pretty much not a blessed thing he can do to attract a woman whose looking for the best guy she can find, short of dressing sharply. Women hold all the power in the dating scene, remind her of that. And that's coming from a guy.

Here's another idea: makeover time! A new look can do wonders.

I have found that using ssri's personally are not the most pleasant of tablets to have, there are so many side effects of them, most of which are pretty horrible. I have always seen anti-depressants as a mask to the actual problem and the only reason I am having to take them is to try to help give some clarity around my current situation and I have no intention of taking them for a massive period, just until I am working again really.

I did a tea the other night, which I was trying in order to give me a good nights sleep, It tasted awful, but, helped me to sleep well, and made my body relax before I went to sleep. All I used was a pinch of Chamomile, Mugwort, Rosemary and Sage, which I ground down, before giving it a good 20 minute simmer. Like I said it tasted vile, I had it about 45 minutes before I went to bed and I fell asleep very quickly. I woke feeling refreshed and ready for the day ahead... The only reason I mention it here is that Insomnia and Depression do tend to go hand in hand... I beleive Geranium is good for depression too, although, I am not sure which variant.

Excercise is a def help, and McDee the lack of sunlight in Aberdeen could be a factor too. I know that I had reall issues in the winter there with short days and lack of sunlight. Spain couldn't hurt as long as she doesn't go nuts out there! RL's tea suggestion sounds good, as sleep is really a major factor in combatting depression - that is regular night sleep, not sleeping in your bed on and off all day and wandering at night. I would also suggest vitamin D and vitamin B12. In areas with low sunlight seasonal affective disorder is really common. About 2000 mg(no that's NOT too much) of vitamin D will help in a matter of a couple of weeks. It is absolutely necessary and now medical science is starting to quietly agree with what some of us have known for ages! If you can lay hands on the vit B12 spray it is much better than tablet form. The wee amounts of B12 in multiple vitamins are pretty much worthless. For quicker relief injections are good too, but knowing the nat health, I doubt you could convince them of that! Using a full spectrum light box (you might find one at a pet store that specializes in stuff for birds or reptiles), is really helpful as well.

SSRIs are dangerous for young people especially. Another one, Wellbutrin, is not so bad has none of the nasty sexual side effects of SSRIs and has been used for many years. But I'd go with herbs, excercise, full spectrum light and vitamins. At least those couldn't hurt.

I would agree with most that has been said already. I have taken anti depressives in the past but I coupled it with counselling which made the most difference.

I also occasionally get given vitamin B for the lack of sunlight issue and it helps a lot so does a light box but I'd prefer the holiday in Spain myself.

I wouls say that if she feel that she understands she got a wee problem then she's probably already on the mend

I would go with exercise too and talking it through with someone other than family. My daughter has suffered from depression all her life and treats it herself with a mixture of aromatherapy and pick me up foods and herbs. Unfortunately it's pointless listing them all because what works for one person might not work for another. The weather here has been pretty good this week (I'm not far from you McD) and we get a fair amount of sunshine too, so unless she suffers from SAD I shouldn't think that would be a factor. Probably the change of scenery and pace of life will do her a lot of good.

Is this just SAD or a bad spell or is it the real thing? I was severely depressed and was suicidal; prozac saved my life absolutely. Is she suicidal and if so get her help right now. I love natural cures but... I suppose if she is able to make flight arrangements and leave for another country its not as bad. Sorry for being an alarmist but I was unable to enter my bank and could barely drive myself home. Ask her if she has plans of suicide.

Something that really helped alleviate my depression years ago was going totally off sugar and all refined carbohydrates. Even limiting the good carbs (like whole wheat, brown rice and oatmeal was necessary). There is a lot of information online to research that explains how a typical high-carb diet may affect some people mentally as well as physically. I noticed a DRASTIC difference in my moods when I followed this diet, which was recommended to me by my doctor.

The Daughter is 21

She is not Suicidal but has very bad mood swings .

I might suggest to her the carb free diet that Cedar has mentioned

Thank you all for your help i'll keep you all updated on the progress

McD

McDee, i may have missed something but why are you opposed to Anti Depressants?

I just don't agree with the chemical composition of anti-depressants. if however they were naturally occurring then that would be different.

I know.... the majority of medicines are from naturally occurring sources .

Unfortunately synthesised medicines i don't agree with, a personal thing.

McD

Although I am taking anti-depressants, I personally see them as a mask for the underlying cause of my depression, there are many side effects that I feel are worse than the depression in some ways. Having said that, I won't takr a painkiller unless I really cannot tolerate the pain I have...

There is a chance though, that at this time your daughter may need some outside help. I'm not pro drugs per se....my own daughter doesn't take them, but occasionally there is a need for anti-depressants to help someone through a rough time in their life. What does your daughter think?

Well to be honest it's your daughters choice as an adult what she chooses to try. Anti D' can help start the healing process. but if other methods work I'm all for it.

Although I am taking anti-depressants, I personally see them as a mask for the underlying cause of my depression, there are many side effects that I feel are worse than the depression in some ways. Having said that, I won't takr a painkiller unless I really cannot tolerate the pain I have...

See i totally disagree with that. Depression, proper depression. is a chamical imbalance in the brain. Sure somthing could trigger that off but generally its already there. Chemical imbalances need to be counteracted with chmicals to restore the balance. I have been on AD's for the best part of my life. If i dont take them then i am forced into a kind of living hell which is unbearable. Dark thoughts, hoplesessness and sometimes even sucidal. get your daughter assessed properly. Its an awful thing to have but can be controlled.

See i totally disagree with that. Depression, proper depression. is a chamical imbalance in the brain. Sure somthing could trigger that off but generally its already there. Chemical imbalances need to be counteracted with chmicals to restore the balance. I have been on AD's for the best part of my life. If i dont take them then i am forced into a kind of living hell which is unbearable. Dark thoughts, hoplesessness and sometimes even sucidal. get your daughter assessed properly. Its an awful thing to have but can be controlled.

I agree with this, when speaking of Depression as a proper medical chronic condition.

However, people can also get depressed just due to life circumstances too, but usually it goes away once the source of depression and frustration does.

That's sort of the predicament I'm in. I'm not a happy camper, even think suicidal at times. I don't think it's a chemical imbalance in my case, though I've always been a broody son of a bitch.

I'm taking my SSRIs just to help me cope with life until things turn around.. IF they turn around, which at this point, I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Rustling leaves sure said it, the side effects of SSRIs suck: I started with Paxil, which did wonders for my outlook. I was thrilled, I was actually feeling happy for the first time in years, as though I could get through this.. then after a few days, the headaches and high blood pressure hit. I had to stop taking it. So now I'm trying Celexa, but it ain't really doing squat except messing with my intestines and stomach something fierce. I feel nauseous every morning. Time to try something else, I guess. They're plenty of SSRIs to choose from, and other things too.

But regards to the "chemical" nature of SSRIs, they're really not that artificial or anything. They simply keep the body from absorbing up it's serotonin, a natural hormone produced by the brain. It prevents it from getting used up and broken down too quickly, so more of it stays around in your brain. SSRI means Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor. It's not like the drug itself directly causes you to feel happy, it's an indirect manipulation of the brain's natural chemicals.

Yeah, I said "natural chemicals", ;)

I think in such circumstances, any help for any condition is a good thing. I never discount modern medicine just because I am a pagan, nor do I discount traditional cures just because I am a modern man. Take any help you can get. As someone who is has just survived a three year mid life crises, (ok I might be a little old to be classified as middle age :) ) brought on the experts say by an incident that happened 50 years ago, I know how difficult it is to climb out of a pit once you have fallen down it.

In short, why suffer when when help might be at hand.

I agree with this, when speaking of Depression as a proper medical chronic condition.

However, people can also get depressed just due to life circumstances too, but usually it goes away once the source of depression and frustration does.

That's sort of the predicament I'm in. I'm not a happy camper, even think suicidal at times. I don't think it's a chemical imbalance in my case, though I've always been a broody son of a bitch.

I'm taking my SSRIs just to help me cope with life until things turn around.. IF they turn around, which at this point, I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Rustling leaves sure said it, the side effects of SSRIs suck: I started with Paxil, which did wonders for my outlook. I was thrilled, I was actually feeling happy for the first time in years, as though I could get through this.. then after a few days, the headaches and high blood pressure hit. I had to stop taking it. So now I'm trying Celexa, but it ain't really doing squat except messing with my intestines and stomach something fierce. I feel nauseous every morning. Time to try something else, I guess. They're plenty of SSRIs to choose from, and other things too.

But regards to the "chemical" nature of SSRIs, they're really not that artificial or anything. They simply keep the body from absorbing up it's serotonin, a natural hormone produced by the brain. It prevents it from getting used up and broken down too quickly, so more of it stays around in your brain. SSRI means Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor. It's not like the drug itself directly causes you to feel happy, it's an indirect manipulation of the brain's natural chemicals.

Yeah, I said "natural chemicals", ;)

I agree with this totally. It has taken me some time to get on the right meds. Prozac was great for many years then seemed to stop working. I had actual brain shivers with another, i came off them pdq. Im now on trazadone and am fine. More balanced and happy then ever. Plus they make you sleepy so i take them at night and always sleep well, apart from the odd nightmare.

I do belive that if it is medical it should be looked at medically. If it is just the 'blues' then thats different.

I took Paxil once. Lasted about 2 weeks and only for that long because my dr. kept telling me to just give it a chance, it would take some getting used to. I could not sleep at all and I felt like a zombie. I was soooo sleepy yet could not fall asleep and laid awake all night long! It also gave my legs the worst case of restless leg syndrome I think I've ever experienced. When all my glands started swelling up the size of golf balls, I told my dr. screw it, and stopped taking it. Now I've heard the stuff can actually be habit forming.

But this is hardly a balanced view imo. People will always tell you the bad stuff and keep quiet about the good.

Antis take up to 3 weeks to settle in your system. As the inital chemical balance starts to change then there can be temporary side effect. Mine was twitchy legs at night lol it wore off by 3 weeks. Your Dr was right you have to give it a chance.