Photo
- - - - -

Anglo saxon witchcraft from 'Pagans'

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:10 PM

Here is a youtube clip with an interesting litle bit about the remains of an anglo saxon "witch". Its a clip taken from the program 'Pagans' . Shame the interviewing man seems to cut off the woman explaining about the alcohol at , Twat!

I've actually founsd the whole piece not just a clip that is so much better please watch this instead

Edited by Oakbuchanan, 20 January 2010 - 10:49 PM.

#2 Guest_Salem_*

Guest_Salem_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:35 PM

Just watched that clip & yeah its interesting, theres a legend from around where I live in East Grinstead that there have been several graves of apparent witches dating back to the anglo-saxon times that have been found around here, at least 3 in the ashdown forest area. The name Grinstead itself is saxon for "Green place" as is my birth town of Woolwich which is saxon again meaning "wool market" I myself have always considered myself to be an anglo-saxon by ancestral blood more than English, if that makes sense.

#3 Droghon

Droghon

Administrator/Host

• Administrators
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:38 PM

Agreed .. interesting clip spinney, you're right about the interviewer, he does seem to like butting in at interesting points LOL
Droghon (or Brian)

I know nothing, I seek everything.

Words of a wise woman .. "OMFG stop being an utter newb and start acting like a proper witch who knows what they are talking about!"

#4 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:42 PM

Did you watch the new clip ? I edited it as I found a longer one that went into herbalism :) I watched the series quite a while ago (its all on youtube) but missed this episode.

#5 Droghon

Droghon

Administrator/Host

• Administrators
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

Yeah watched the longer clip, the bit about harbalism and the Lacnunga manuscript was interesting .. I have Stephen Pollington's book 'Leechcraft - Early English Charms, Plant Loare and Healing' which has the Lacnunga (in Anglo Saxon and Modern Elnglish) and other Early manuscripts .. fascinating book
Droghon (or Brian)

I know nothing, I seek everything.

Words of a wise woman .. "OMFG stop being an utter newb and start acting like a proper witch who knows what they are talking about!"

#6 Guest_Oakbuchanan_*

Guest_Oakbuchanan_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:19 PM

Cheers for that Spinney...

#7 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:43 PM

I have Stephen Pollington's book 'Leechcraft

I want this book so badly ...drool

#8 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:50 AM

Thanks for this SH, I gotta see this series. I didn't know about it before!
http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#9 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:10 AM

I gotta see this series. I didn't know about it before!

The whole series is on youtube :)

#10 ValarieAnne

ValarieAnne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for posting this, very interesting! Great that it's on youtube since we didn't have it here in Canada.

#11 Marion

Marion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:25 PM

I got mine from Amazon, I think. It IS fascinating...trying to read the old language is fairly comical too :)

I want this book so badly ...drool

"Bart, the ability to add two-digit numbers does not make you a witch" ~ Lisa Simpson

Always up to witchery ~ Marion

#12 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:31 PM

Hmm.. the multiquote feature might not be working yet..

Anyway, thanks again Spinney, I watched the entire "magic moments" ep, and have found the others on youtube as well.
Regards Pollington's Leechcraft book, it's still available in paperback for about $37 USD, from Amazon and others.
It's a couple hundred if you want hardcover though! ;)

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#13 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:37 PM

I know its been on my wish list for quite a few years now, I will get it damn it!