Caulbearers/Born with a cowl

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:28 AM

Hi Dadoseven and thank you.

Has your wife read anything about Caul births? there is some very interesting information on the web. apparently we can never drown and Sailors used to pay a lot of money for the Caul and keep it on them while at sea so they would not drown. Caulbearers were also burnt at the stake as Witches by the Roman Catholics hundreds of years ago. :rolleyes_witch:

Anita. (nice name) lol.

#2 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:43 AM

A bit of Mythology about the `Caulbearer`

The term “caul” comes from the latin caput galeatum - “head helmet“. The birth caul or veil is a full face mask which may be sometimes found covering the face of a child at birth. Those born in such a way are identified as “caulbearer” or born “behind the veil“.
This is relatively rare - around one in 80,000 births - although there is a tendency for this phenomenon to repeat in family bloodlines. Caulbearers are sometimes believed to have ability in matters of dowsing and weather prediction. In some cultures caulbearers were considered to be natural healers with enhanced powers of perception.

In ancient Egypt a baby born in the “caul” was destined for the cult of Isis.
he Grímnismál (Grímnir’s Lay) is one of the mythological poems of the Poetic Edda. It is spoken through the voice of the hooded one. He wore a dark-blue cloak, called himself Grimnir, and would say no more of himself even when questioned.

#3 Guest_Salem_*

Guest_Salem_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:10 AM

Wow that is interesting Anita, gonna google it to find out more, so Caulbearers were burnt as witches for wot reason?
Surely not for just being born with an extra covering over their faces? mind u as I said in another thread its ignorance & the fear of the unusual that makes ppl think the person isnt human!!

See to me that would make the person extra special rather then to be feared as I would interpret the birth as fate I guess, wot will be will be!! My youngest was born with 2 teeth already formed along with my "witches mark" as the catholics would call it!! I have 2 beauty (lol!!) spots on my stomach right next to each other & she has the same mark!! lol!! bless her shes a mini me, poor kid!! lol!!

#4 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:38 AM

Your Daughters look very much like you. I totally agree with what you are saying. I will post a bit more here that I have found on the web. I t should answer your question. Thanks for your interest.

#5 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:39 AM

In many cultures the Caulbearers were considered to be “Kings by right,” due to the predictive nature of their births and their leadership abilities. This is one of the reasons why certain Buddhist groups, to this very day seek out Caulbearers to be brought up to become Dalai Lamas.
Throughout history the powers that be have repeatedly attempted to destroy the Caulbearers because they were seen to be messengers sent by a higher force to guide mankind in matters both physical and of a higher spiritual nature. In ancient times they were held in high regard for their knowledge in a wide range of disciplines, and therefore became known as 'priests' which originally simply meant 'teacher.' This was long before the notion of the religious priest was ever conceived.
The Caul or Veil is sometimes also referred to as "The Veil of Tears" due to the tendency of baser types of people to attack or even kill Caulbearers, often for no apparent reason --- such as in the Middle Ages, when they were burned as witches and heretics, mainly by the Church of Rome.

#6 Guest_Salem_*

Guest_Salem_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:06 AM

Your Daughters look very much like you. I totally agree with what you are saying. I will post a bit more here that I have found on the web. I t should answer your question. Thanks for your interest.

Well Molly, who's the oldest is more my mum than me, even down to the glasses bless her!! the lil 'un is mini me!! which is very scary!!! gonna have fun wiv that 1 when shes a teen!! omg!!! lol!!
:rolleyes_witch:

Thats really interesting history about the Caulbearers, I can see why they were persecuted by the church, they were a threat to the church like witches are, the RC church doesnt like threats to its position!! Thats really interesting about the buddists accepting Caulbearers as Dhali lama's, I know a few buddists & I must admit we get on really well & have some wicked conversations about our different beliefs, altho, in truth, they're not that distance from us witches.

#7 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:12 AM

I am sure being a mini you is not a bad thing. :0).

You should ask your Buddist friends about Caulbearer's, they can probably give you a wider view than I can.

#8 Guest_Salem_*

Guest_Salem_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:24 AM

yeah I will do, they may have already mentioned them but I just missed it, they have so much knowledge its hard to keep up with everything they tell me!! 1 of them used be Shaolin, dunno why he left the temple tho.

As for being a mini me....I was a absolute git wen I was a baby!! lol!! my poor folks got 5 hours sleep each night for 5 years!! I would have put me up for adoption!! lol!! My mum has always said that if I was the 1st born I would have been an only child!! lol!! shes only joking tho.....I think!! lol!!

#9 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:02 PM

It would be great to know what they say. I would be very interested. :0)

#10 Kerry

Kerry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:23 PM

Quote "apparently we can never drown and Sailors used to pay a lot of money for the Caul and keep it on them while at sea so they would not drown".

I believe this to be true, My Grandfather was born with a caul, not only was he gifted with second sight, he was in the navy in world war 2 and his ship was torpedoed twice and he was cast into the ocean and he did not drown.

Kerry

#11 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:45 PM

Hi Kerry.
Well that definitely reinforces the claim. I have spent many hours out at sea on fishing vessels and I cannot swim a stroke. So being a Caulbearer kind of gives me an invisible life jacket. :sunny:

#12 Guest_Salem_*

Guest_Salem_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:45 PM

It would be great to know what they say. I would be very interested. :0)

Yeah when I see them next I'll ask them and let u know.

Thats a really interesting story about ur grandad Kerry, my grandad was in the war aswell as a pilot, he was a witch & got shot down 16 times in the battle of britian but just wouldnt die!! thankfully of course!! lol!! we just joke with him that he wasnt a very good pilot or he was 1 lucky git but he always said it was coz the ancestrals didnt want him to die so they protected him.

#13 Kerry

Kerry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:03 PM

Thats a really interesting story about ur grandad Kerry, my grandad was in the war aswell as a pilot, he was a witch & got shot down 16 times in the battle of britian but just wouldnt die!! thankfully of course!! lol!! we just joke with him that he wasnt a very good pilot or he was 1 lucky git but he always said it was coz the ancestrals didnt want him to die so they protected him.

What I forgot to add also was that he could'nt swim neitherl!!! and he escaped drowing twice!!.

#14 Guest_Salem_*

Guest_Salem_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:07 PM

wow!! wish I had that gift, Im a useless swimmer but love sea fishing!! Not a good combination really!! guess who Im taking sea fishing next time Im in Wales??? lol!!

#15 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:47 PM

:rofl:I decided to say. No Comment. :roflhard:

#16 Guest_Salem_*

Guest_Salem_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:13 PM

:rofl:I decided to say. No Comment. :roflhard:

haha!! oh yeah Anita its u!!! lol!!

#17 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:47 PM

:nono::vhappywitch: lol.

#18 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:54 PM

As the abilities of Caulbearers are well known of by at least certain parts of religious groups to varying degrees, the attitude towards Caulbearers varies from sect to sect.
Some ignore it; some hold them in high esteem; some accuse them of being witches and others have sought to destroy them before birth, due to the historical preference of men to follow kings by right rather than those who merely desire to rule over others by might.
The main reason that the so-called witches were burned at the stake in earlier generations, was that the shedding of a Caulbearer’s blood was believed to bring down a curse on the perpetrator. Burning them was not regarded as shedding blood, so many were burned at the stake instead, thus depriving them and the communities within which they lived of the benefits that come from following the natural way of things, which is what the phonomenon of the Caulbearer is all about. Sadly, the powers who rule over the minds of men have generally treated the Caulbearers with contempt, and very often with unmerciful persecution. The reason for this apparent contradiction of their own dogmas is that historically, the individuals who became deities or were venerated by followers of such beliefs, were Caulbearers.

#19 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:30 PM

My grandmother was born with a caul and she has been gifted with certain abilities (knowing the instant someone dies, no matter how far away, being one), but, where she comes (north England) from caulbearers were said to be "touched", either by madness or the fair folk, or both and were viewed suspiciously. My grandmother is non-religious, is an atheist and doesn't believe in witchcraft, or the fair folk, and never talked about her gifts because her mother was so rigid about conforming to society, and she still has the impression to talk about such things would result in her being instituionalised, so, in a way, as a caulbearer she is still subject to prejudice. It makes her a little unhappy to think about it and I believes she rues being born with a veil.

#20 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

My grandmother was born with a caul and she has been gifted with certain abilities (knowing the instant someone dies, no matter how far away, being one), but, where she comes (north England) from caulbearers were said to be "touched", either by madness or the fair folk, or both and were viewed suspiciously. My grandmother is non-religious, is an atheist and doesn't believe in witchcraft, or the fair folk, and never talked about her gifts because her mother was so rigid about conforming to society, and she still has the impression to talk about such things would result in her being instituionalised, so, in a way, as a caulbearer she is still subject to prejudice. It makes her a little unhappy to think about it and I believes she rues being born with a veil.

Hence why it is referred to also as the `Veil of Tears` It must have been and seems to still be very difficult for your Grandmother. It was the `Roman catholics` that damned Caulbearers many moons ago, so i totally understand your Grandmother being an athiest. I am non-religious and I oppose the church. Apparently `Jesus` was a Caulbearer and so was `Buddha and many others. It is easier these days even though still difficult to be who you are. There will always be some that have nothing better to do than bully another because they do not fit into what society sees as "the norm". I am very rebellious, go against the grain, if society wanted me to go left, I would of course go right. So if anyone approached me with their negative opinions, the least I would do is give them the finger.:fucku: I cannot abide controlling people in any way. I do feel for your Grandmother. x