Photo

Days of The Week

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:36 PM

You can view the page at http://www.tradition...of-the-week-r19

#2 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:32 PM

Some of the correspondences are more obvious than others:

Mo(o)nday, Sunday, Satur(n)day namely; but only Saturday is still named directly for the Roman God; the others are all named for Norse gods!
(the Roman name for the Sun is "Sol", and "Luna" for the Moon. We get "Sun and Moon" from Germanic - The Goddess Sunna, and the God Mōn, Mona, or Manen. Interesting to note that they considered the Sun feminine, and the Moon masculine!)

Tuesday = Tyr's day - Tyr's daeg. Tyr, AKA Tiwaz, was the proto-god of the Norse, and is associated with Mars/Ares.

Wednesday = Wodan's day, or Odin, connected with Hermes/Mercury

Thursday = Thor's day - Thor linked with Zeus/Jupiter

Friday = Freya's Day, the Goddess Freya, associated with Venus/Aphrodite. Though some claim is it Frigga's day; still others confuse Freya and Frigga, though there were in fact two different Goddesses.

I used to find it a tiny bit odd that Odin was linked with Mercury rather than Zeus.. However, essentially, Thor was the patron primary God of the common folk; Odin was usually venerated by the nobility or ruling class. However, since Odin was also known as "The Wanderer", the link to Mercury is not at all without merit.

BTW, in double checking my facts here, I came across a perfect site on this:
http://answers.yahoo...d=1006041725281

#3 froglover

froglover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:15 AM

The english folk rhyme, often not recognised as based on the planets, is I think:
Monday's child is fair of face
Tuesday's child is full of grace
Wednesday's child is full of woe
Thursday's child has far to go
Friday's child is loving and giving
Saturday's child works hard for his living
But the child that is born on the Sabbath day
Is bonny and blythe and good and gay.

Some of the attributions are unusual, but the Friday and Saturday lines are the dead giveaway.

The identity of Odin/Woden and Mercury/Hermes was recognised in a very matter of fact way in classical times. It seems odd to us I suppose because our picture of Mercury/Hermes focusses on the "light" aspects. We tend to forget that Hermes was the entity that seized the newly dead soul to conduct it to the infernal world. Robert Graves in that White Goddess thing notes in passing that the Christian Church effectively made Mercury into its devil. In Germany Wedneday, I'm told, is called "Midweek" because the Church could not countenance Woden's name.

The order of the days of the week...everyone knows how it relates to the geocentric order of the planets, right?

[edit - What I meant to say in the last sentence was "Maybe someone is interested in how the geocentric order of the planets, Moon Mercury Venus Sun Mars Jupiter Saturn, relates to the order of the days of the week?]

Edited by froglover, 21 April 2010 - 01:08 AM.
Unitended tone of section of post