Photo
- - - - -

Blood Circulation and Diabetes Advice

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#21 The Old Crone

The Old Crone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:52 PM

Has anyone here "cured" their diabetes with diet? I have just been diagnosed with type 2-but the dr here (only one for this on the island) is very vague. He told me to take a couple of glucaphage a day and watch what I eat. Basically the only info I can get is on the net.:( This is throwing me into panic attacks and depression! Not a good thing, to say the least.

#22 winter night

winter night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:02 PM

Has anyone here "cured" their diabetes with diet? I have just been diagnosed with type 2-but the dr here (only one for this on the island) is very vague. He told me to take a couple of glucaphage a day and watch what I eat. Basically the only info I can get is on the net.:( This is throwing me into panic attacks and depression! Not a good thing, to say the least.

just wanted to say I can't help from any personal experience but just wanted to give you a bit of support.:crossfingers:

hopefully there will be some help here for you though. I do have family members with diabetes so will check out with them what type they have. :chakrahearts:

#23 The Old Crone

The Old Crone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:24 PM

just wanted to say I can't help from any personal experience but just wanted to give you a bit of support.:crossfingers:

hopefully there will be some help here for you though. I do have family members with diabetes so will check out with them what type they have. :chakrahearts:

Thanks Winter-the net is full of info but it's different getting first hand accounts.Any info is greatlly appreciated

#24 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:37 PM

There was a lady who went to my gym who had type-1 and was controlling it with diet and exercise. Therefore, I would assume that type-2 could be as well. She would eat steel cut oats and eggs for breakfast, and then veg and lean protein for lunch, and then a small dinner. She was at the gym almost everyday. From my understanding type-2 can be controlled more easily than 1 in most situations... I'm sure there are books on lifestyle and cookbooks that have been written on the subject?

Hope you find what you're looking for.

~V~

I am my own Keeper; my own Sower, my own Reaper.
~ V ~

#25 Rustling Leaves

Rustling Leaves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

Thanks Winter-the net is full of info but it's different getting first hand accounts.Any info is greatlly appreciated

See if your Doctor will let you have a tablet called Sitagliptin (Brand Name Januvia), it is a insulin antagoniser, which helps your body produce insulin. There are alleged diets which "cure" diabetes, but, IMO, you are better off initially with tablets...

See how your body responds to the tablets and don't get too depressed about it (easy said, I know)... Read the food labels an aim for foods with lower fats (especially animal fats) and try to keep the sugars under 5g/100g... The other thing to be aware of, is if you don't eat, your body will release enzymes which will make your sugars climb, so be prepared to eat small amounts between meals...

You may find that when your sugars stablise, you could enjoy many of the foods that you have eaten before your diagnosis...

#26 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:34 AM

First, I know absolutely nothing about diabetes, but I do know from friends and family members, that when left untreated, it can lead to some serious or even deadly health consequences. That being said, maybe you should visit a local hospital to meet with a nutritionist or other person who specializes in treating individuals with diabetes. Listening to the advice of those who have been there and had that is a valid means of gaining support and perspective, but an expert may be needed to get a handle on things initially. If your doctor hasn't offered to find you the support you need, find another doctor.

Jevne

#27 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:19 AM

I don't know anything about diabetes, but for me, eating a lot of cayenne helped with my poor blood circulation. I had to work my way up to it, but now I put a spoonful of organic, 90,000 heat unit cayenne powder in a glass of water a day and drink it and it has immensely helped my circulation.

If you're on any medications be sure and check with a doctor before starting this because I know that high amounts of capsacin (sp) can cause unwelcome affects when combined with some medicines. Also I don't know if cayenne would have any affect, good or bad, on diabetes, I just know it helped my blood circulation.

Edited to add: Capsacin (sp) is the property in cayenne that provides the 'heat'.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#28 Wyrd

Wyrd

Sub Rosa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:39 PM

Raw for 30 Days

http://www.rawfor30d...com/index4.html

:)

Wyrd
The mind is like a parachute, it only works when It's open

#29 Ahrazura

Ahrazura

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:40 AM

My wife has recently been diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes (non insulin). I have read that cinamon and raw onion are good for aiding the reduction of blood sugar, but, I can't find a good way of combining them and making them pallatable. I have tried putting the cinamon in a normal cup of tea, which she didn't over like and now I am pondering on the possibilities of mixing this with Cayenne and Garlic as she is starting to get some minor circulation issues...

I have seen the Sore throat remedy and I guess I am wondering if Cinamon would substitute weel for the ginger, and I'll giver her a raw onion to chew when she has the munchies... lol...

If anyone has got a better idea or knows of something better, please let me know...

Thanks...

Hello,
My wife is a type 1 diabetic. Other than her belief that the cord charms I make for her work to her benefit she has started a pomegranate juice supplement to her diet. I came about it while doing a google search for my own health regime and it has impressed her and myself alike.
If you do a simple google search for 'pomegranate juice' you will find many testimonials from proper medical bodies, not actors in doctors coats trying to sell you rubbish. The sugars in pomegranate juice are NOT absorbable into the bloodstream and as such does not alter the blood sugar level. The juice works very well to keep weight off thus helping to combat a major problem with diabetics. I myself have used it for a while and with light exercise have shed just over a stone in two weeks from starting. It is important to look for pomegranate juice which has most of its substance coming from pomegranates and not bulked out with orange juice. Juice made from the fruit itself is best because of its natural fiber. Juice liquidised from the fruit has a strange texture which can put some people off but it is by far the best for the user. I cant recommend highly enough that you do a google search and decide for yourself. Oh, and one type 2 diabetic has been given the all clear since they started with the juice. Now from a magickal perspective, it has been suggested that the 'Apple' from the Garden of Eden was in fact a pomegranate. The fruit is also the sacred fruit of Athena and is depicted in many ancient Greek artworks.

Hope this is of some worth to you and your wife.

Regards,
Ahrazura

#30 Absinthe

Absinthe

Inquisitor's Bane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:27 AM

If you do a simple google search for 'pomegranate juice' you will find many testimonials from proper medical bodies, not actors in doctors coats trying to sell you rubbish. The sugars in pomegranate juice are NOT absorbable into the bloodstream and as such does not alter the blood sugar level. The juice works very well to keep weight off thus helping to combat a major problem with diabetics. I myself have used it for a while and with light exercise have shed just over a stone in two weeks from starting. It is important to look for pomegranate juice which has most of its substance coming from pomegranates and not bulked out with orange juice. Juice made from the fruit itself is best because of its natural fiber. Juice liquidised from the fruit has a strange texture which can put some people off but it is by far the best for the user. I cant recommend highly enough that you do a google search and decide for yourself. Oh, and one type 2 diabetic has been given the all clear since they started with the juice. Now from a magickal perspective, it has been suggested that the 'Apple' from the Garden of Eden was in fact a pomegranate.

Thanks for this info, Ahrazura. I will try anything to shed a little weight; this is a new (and harmless) one to try.

I always understood that the 'apple' from the Garden of Eden was, in fact, an apricot, although I have to admit, I don't remember where I gained that bit of forbidden knowledge.

Edited to apologize for accidentally deleting Ahrazura's name from the above post.

Edited by Absinthe, 17 April 2011 - 01:29 AM.

Nosce te ipsum, et sapere aude

#31 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:01 AM

Absinthe (oh what a lovely naaaaaame)

My Rhonwen's mother has been using Black Elderberry now for several months and she now swears by it, she cannot exercise because of numerous traumas but still loses weight consistently for the first time in years.

Hope this is of some help.

FFFF

Elf

#32 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:06 AM

Aloe,

I recently discovered, via my acupuncturist, that a daily supply of Vitimin C and E (can supply the does and types if needed) can assist greatly with poor circulation.

FFFF

Elf

#33 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:06 AM

Aloe,

I recently discovered, via my acupuncturist, that a daily supply of Vitimin C and E (can supply the does and types if needed) can assist greatly with poor circulation.

FFFF

Elf

I've been on high doses of Vitamin C lately for another issue, but don't currently take any Vitamin E supplements. I'd like to know what your acupuncturist recommended - thanks!

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#34 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:17 AM

Aloe,
iu
For my poor circluation he proscribed (from Swanson a Web-supply of great value) 1 tablet per day of 1,000 mg Vitamin C with Bioflavonoi0ds (Swanson Ultra) this formula makes the C absorbable wholly whereas most C is NOT fully absorbed. The E comes from Wheat Germ Oil Fortified, one tablet per meal (2 or 3 daily) 50IU 240mg. It worked for me, they are a natural extract and I have had NO other effects due their use.

There are many disadvantages to mega-dose of C that I have heard of, even over short periods of time, one of the constant drawbacks is the lack of absorbancy, thereby entering the lower regions of the digestive tract with negative effects.

I wish you good health.

FFFF

Elf

#35 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:58 AM

Aloe,
iu
For my poor circluation he proscribed (from Swanson a Web-supply of great value) 1 tablet per day of 1,000 mg Vitamin C with Bioflavonoi0ds (Swanson Ultra) this formula makes the C absorbable wholly whereas most C is NOT fully absorbed. The E comes from Wheat Germ Oil Fortified, one tablet per meal (2 or 3 daily) 50IU 240mg. It worked for me, they are a natural extract and I have had NO other effects due their use.

There are many disadvantages to mega-dose of C that I have heard of, even over short periods of time, one of the constant drawbacks is the lack of absorbancy, thereby entering the lower regions of the digestive tract with negative effects.

I wish you good health.

FFFF

Elf

Thanks Elf, I haven't heard of the Swanson brand before, I'll have to look that one up.

I also got some pure pomegranate juice to start a daily regimen with. :cheers:

#36 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:44 AM

Thanks Elf, I haven't heard of the Swanson brand before, I'll have to look that one up.

I also got some pure pomegranate juice to start a daily regimen with. :cheers:

If you need any suggestions i may be of help, plus my girl Rhonwen is savvy in suppliments and inspired help (has helped many people in many ways over the years).

Check into Swanson,

FFFF
Elf

#37 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:47 AM

If you need any suggestions i may be of help, plus my girl Rhonwen is savvy in suppliments and inspired help (has helped many people in many ways over the years).

Check into Swanson,

FFFF
Elf

I'll do that. I normally try to do diet changes rather than supplements, but things are really hectic lately and I think supplements will help me get through this chaotic time until I can get back into my cooking routine. Thanks!

#38 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:21 AM

Type 2 can't be cured but it can be put into remission to the point where it seems you never had it, I'm assuming this is what you mean. The closer you can do this to diagnosis the better, but even people who have had it for years, then lost a lot of weight and changed their diet have seen it go into remission. It will take a lot of determination on your part though.

Basically, your body is unable to process sugar anymore, so the obvious thing is to cut out all or as much sugar as you can. Pretty much anything processed is a good start and read all food labels, you'd be amazed where sugar finds itself these days. Then look at portion sizes and the amount of the different food groups on your plate, basically it is suggested for people without diabetes to have half the plate with low G.I. vegies or salad, 1/4 plate protein and 1/4 plate carbs such as pasta, rice, potato, bread, etc. Then add 1-2 tsp of a fat (oil, butter, avocado, nuts, etc).

For a friend I advised changing this slightly to have less of the carb, so making it 1/3 less carb and 1/3 more protein. The reason for this is because protein helps us to feel fuller longer but also slows down the rate of absorption of food - sugars in this case - into our system. Also check out the G.I. scale (glycemic index), food is rated according to how much energy it has, or how quickly it will absorb in the system. Try to stick with anything under 50 if you can. Oats are really good for helping to slow down sugar absorption, but they need to be as unprocessed as possible.

When you do eat pasta or bread, try to go for wholemeal as much as possible. My friend told me of all the rices, she found out good old white rice was the lowest on the g.i. (she has diabetes), which surprised me, but I haven't checked it out. When cooking foods, try to steam veg as much as possible to get as much goodness out of them as possible.

You will still be able to have sweets, but give them up completely until you can get everything under control. Then experiment with changing some favourites into diabetes friendly recipes.

The last thing I will suggest is a book called 'Sweet poison' which explains what sugar does to the system and why fructose is the bad guy. The author is not a doctor, just a guy who researched the topic because he couldn't lose weight. Very insightful book.

...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998