Chocolate Velvet Cake

Jaime

This was a hit on another forum I'm a part of, so I thought I'd share it here...

-------------------------------

Ok here it is, the chocoholic's wet dream! LOL I'll post the recipe as I read it first, then I'll add my take on the procedure.

Chocolate Velvet Cake

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs

2 Tbsp sugar

1/4 cup melted butter

2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips

6 egg yolks

1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream

1 tsp vanilla

Procedure:

Grease a 9" springform pan. Mix crumbs and sugar in a small bowl. Stir in butter. Press into bottom and up the sides (abougt 1 - 1 1/2") of pan. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 F for 10 mins. Let cool on a wire rack.

Melt chocolate chips in microwave, stirring until smooth. Let cool. In a small bowl, combine the egg yolks, cream and vanilla. Gradually stir a third of the cream mixture into melted chocolate until blended, fold in remaining until blended. Pour over crust.

Place back on baking sheet and bake for 45-50 mins at 350F until centre is almost set. Allow to cool on wire rack for to mins. Carefully run knife around pan to loosen, cool for another hour and refridgerate overnight.

Top with frosting of your choice or whipped cream.

--------------------------------------

Ok. This is what I would recommend doing instead of the procedure above; as I did follow it and ran into a couple of (albeit fixable) problems.

Get the cream and eggs at room temperature and mix them up first and put aside. You can also add a liqueur like Baileys, Kahlua or GrandMarnier at this time (or you can add it to the chocolate mixture after everything is mixed together..your choice).

Melt the chocolate over a steam bath. Though it's faster and more convenient to use the microwave, if you're not constantly checking it (which lengthens the procedure anyway as you're always stopping and starting the cooking process) the chocolate WILL burn.

When combining the hot chocolate to the egg/cream mixture, you run the risk of scrambling the egg yolks upon combination (especially if the egg/cream mixture is cold) so tempuring is needed. All this means is bringing the temperature of the egg mixture up gradually so it won't cook before you want it to. To do this take a little bit of the hot chocolate and very gradually whisk it into the egg/cream mixture.

If you want to be a little more cautious you could take about a third of the egg/cream mixture in yet another seperate bowl..and add the chocolate to that, then add that mix to the rest of the original egg/cream mixture.

Then the temperature of the egg mixture should be tempured enough to take the rest of the chocolate. Of course if you're really cautious you could just strain the damn thing too.

Also I didn't fold, I whisked. More motion, less chance of a scramble, and there really aren't any air pockets in the cream to worry about deflating with the whisking so folding the mixture isn't really necessary. if you were to beat the egg whites into a stiff meringue and add them too (cause really they're just wasted in this recipe), this should make the cake more like a souffle (a lot lighter and higher), then the folding would be necessary. This would also alter the baking method.

You can top this with a chocolate buttercream frosting, or, just go the simple route as I did and whip some heavy cream...

Bon Appetit!

Meheheheh! I made this for a potluck, took a couple of pieces home and the morning after I had a slice for breakfast. It is so much better the next day...Meheheheheh!

that is so cruel, showing such an awesome drool genarating cake recipe... :biting: