- - - - -

traditional witchcraft

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Salem_*

Guest_Salem_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:27 AM

Good idea, and no offense intended......and I understand that everyone learns differently........in our society we are "book driven" it seems.........but, a lot of us don't write things down and just use our intent, which as we all know is our greatest tool. I personally like the freedom of "no rules" which a lot of traditional witches have in common....we just do what needs to be done at any given moment. This forum is a wonderful place to share ourselves and I am very grateful for the comradery we share here.

I would go nuts if I had to study a book when it is much easier and natural to just follow my instincts and intuition. :)

Yeah I do see ur point Lea & in many cases I do agree with u, but the problem is with us humans is that we will always shun and persecute that which we dont understand, its a sad fact of nature unfortunately, after seeing the video that sandy posted on the front page of this forum of supposed witches being burnt in africa I cant help but think that its due to ignorance!! maybe if ppl could see that we are not evil or eat kids or any crap like that then maybe we can get some sort of tolerance towards our ways. I dunno Ive always tryed to aim big!!! lol!!

#22 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:08 AM

So why dont we all get our heads together & produce a book on TW spinney?

Thanks but no thanks, I would never presume other people to follow my Tradition. The only book I would be interested in would be o ne of Interviews of different Traditional Witches .

#23 Guest_Salem_*

Guest_Salem_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:26 AM

Thanks but no thanks, I would never presume other people to follow my Tradition. The only book I would be interested in would be o ne of Interviews of different Traditional Witches .

Hmm thats even better than my idea spinny, that way different views are put in 1 place for the reader to make up their own mind!! I like!!

#24 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:21 PM

I think its more accecptable for Trad witches to read about other trads than to read a bout that says 'this is how to be a traditional witch' coz we all know how that will end lol..... bonfire anyone ;)

#25 Guest_Salem_*

Guest_Salem_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:29 PM

I think its more accecptable for Trad witches to read about other trads than to read a bout that says 'this is how to be a traditional witch' coz we all know how that will end lol..... bonfire anyone ;)

Hahaha!! yeah fair 1!! I wasnt suggesting writing a rule book or anything coz we all know that aint our way, just wish there was more tolerance & understanding about us thats all, was even considering publishing my grimorie, not sure if thats a good idea tho.

#26 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:38 PM

was even considering publishing my grimorie, not sure if thats a good idea tho.

Pass it down to your girls Salem :) . I'd be afraid that something so meaningful and personal would get dissected and watered down by peoples reviews and not mean as much any more.

#27 Guest_Salem_*

Guest_Salem_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:02 PM

Pass it down to your girls Salem :) . I'd be afraid that something so meaningful and personal would get dissected and watered down by peoples reviews and not mean as much any more.

Yeah maybe ur right spinney, I wouldnt want all my thoughts and feelings to be watered down, they're there to be respected and hopefully understood. Its just after watching that video of those apparent witches being burnt on sandy's post on the front page has just got me really thinking u know? guess I cant take on the whole world!! lol!! thanks for the advice spinney, its very much appreciated.

#28 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:36 PM

So why dont we all get our heads together & produce a book on TW spinney? :grin_witch:

Because it would never get off the ground, lol.... 5 witches, 9 opinions. Everyone does their own thing differently, has different beliefs, and that is one of the differences of TW, lol...
I do know what you mean, it would be great to have a book out there, but no one would agree with what is in it, what should be in it, what has no place in it, or how many minutes to fry an egg.

M

#29 TigerLily

TigerLily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:38 PM

Honestly, I think the reason a lot of "newbies" have trouble understanding TW is because most of these people are looking for a sort of "instruction booklet" on witchcraft. I think its very troubling for some people that there isn't a hard and fast set of rules and guidelines, and a lot of people WANT that. They first look at Wicca, and they see all these recipes for spells and instructions on when to do what, and what to say, and what not to do, and then when they find TW, there isn't any of that. And I could imagine how confusing and frustrating that may be. But i think seekers need to understand that TW is a very personal path, and it is what you make of it. yes we have "recipes" for spells, but you will find that say, a love spell for example, is worked differently depending on the individual, their culture, or tradition. Seekers need to understand that what works for me, may not work or feel comfortable with them, and thats OK. Because TW is a life style, and why would you want to copy someone else's lifestyle?

#30 bewilderbeast

bewilderbeast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:02 PM

maybe if ppl could see that we are not evil or eat kids or any crap like that

Says who Salem? I had me a couple of children this morning. Planning on a feast for dinner...Maybe some bigger game.

Do you have any dinner plans love? *wink*

And also, Black-Cat, I think you hit the idea spot on.

"Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen." Johan Wolfgang von Goethe

"If you have a garden and a library, you have all you need." Cicero

Visit my blog!
http://InspiredByFoodie.blogspot.com

#31 Guest_Salem_*

Guest_Salem_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:45 PM

[quote name='bewilderbeast']Says who Salem? I had me a couple of children this morning. Planning on a feast for dinner...Maybe some bigger game.

Do you have any dinner plans love? *wink*[QUOTE]

hahaha!! U crack me up hun!! lol!! I told my lil 'un the other day she'll be goin in the oven with the chicken as a joke, I turned round for 2 mins and she was trying to get in the bloody oven!!! hahaha!! thankfully it wasnt turned on at the time!! crazy kid, she deff be mine alright, no denying it!! lol!!

#32 Guest_Unregistered_*

Guest_Unregistered_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:21 AM

So not meaning to sound thick or irritate anyone but what is the difference between Trad & Druidry?

#33 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:43 PM

So not meaning to sound thick or irritate anyone but what is the difference between Trad & Druidry?

To explain the diff between Druids, CoTC, Chaos Magicians, Heriditary Witches, Ceremonial, Sabbatic, Home-Grown, Eclectic... is like trying to explain the difference between fruits. Some are obviouse differences like apples and bananas, but some are subtle like a Granny Smith apple v. a Golden Delicious apple. I understand what you are asking, and the frustration at not getting an answer - but there is no specific cut-and-dry answer. Witchcraft is as varied as the witches who practice it.

Maybe it may be easier to start with the similiarities. A witch being anyone who practices witchcraft. A 'traditional witch' being anyone who does not follow a set dogma or set of rules (usually the most obvious rule is that trads don't follow the Wiccan belief that you can do no harm). Or perhaps it's as simple as having a choice. There are some trad witches who really dislike cursing (myself being one); however, the big difference is it is my own personal choice whether or not I decide to, not a rule that "allows" me to or not to.

I personally do believe in evolution of the soul in a rather Hermetic way, but not that I will be 'punished' by a punitive god or by a 'law of 3.' I personally believe that what I do now will effect future (and possibly past!) lives, but not to in the eastern thought of 'good or bad karma' but in learning lessons that will over time help me understand how the soul and the universe works and interacts, and over many lives gradually evolve my soul. I answer only to myslef, but by the same token, I have only myself to rely on and only myself to blame. And although this will sound like a contradiction, I also believe in gods. I believe in an original creative force which is completely impossible to explain or comprehend and in naming it one does nothing but limit it and therefore understand it less - although I do refer to it as "the All" simply for ease of writing. I believe that the gods people of the earth work with - xtian, pagan, jewish, etc., were created by the people of the earth. This does not negate those gods, though. They were created by humans as representatives of something humans can't understand - but as such humans also created the "human flaws" that are also attributed to these gods (like the xtian god being jealous and punitive). But that doesn't mean the the gods we have created are not valid or of great use. The working with and adoration of the created gods opens up a channel to some aspect of the original source and as such, one can get a better understanding by working with them - they are kind of like thought forms, but different - they have over the years been given their own personalities and 'ensouled' by those who work with them. So they are a paradox. But they are neither good nor bad. Good or bad is defined by the society in which we live. Bad only exists because any given society has made that rule. It's bad to commit murder - unless the government puts a gun in your hand and ships you overseas. It's bad to eat human flesh - unless you happen to live with a tribe whose culture is canabalistic. For every rule of any given society telling us what is "evil" you can find another society that does not view it as "evil." So almost every thought and idea we have is culturally imposed by the society in which we live. And that's a good thing for society must go on, lol, but I personally believe that it is important for the witch to realize this. And of course one must live within society's laws - but it is important to know how our thought process is shaped if one wants to be able to see past what is considered the "norm." And you must remember that almost every 'evil' determined by society is in place for the survival of that society and the humans within it.

And my path has meandered and changed along the crooked road, but if I had to give it a name I would say I follow a gnostic left-hand-path. The best definitioin of LHP I have ever read was in a book called "Aghora" and it defined LHP as "deeper than deep" in that one delves so far into darkness that they burst through darkness into light (and no, darkness is not equivilent with evil, and light is not 'being saved' lol - it refers more to the darker and lighter aspects of craft workings). We only know what light is because we know what dark is. So to truly know one, you must know the other.

M

#34 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:20 PM

TigerLily, I think You're right, people do want a rule book. It's so much easier and when it's all spelled out you don't have o be afraid of doing it wrong. It's only when people let go of the fear and the need for the security the book brings, that they can open up to this path and begin to walk it. It's taken me 6 years to get to this point myself. Best thing I ever did!
...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998