- - - - -

traditional witchcraft

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Lillee_*

Guest_Lillee_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:35 AM

what is the difference between traditional witchcraft and wicca? like what do they do? what do they believe in?

#2 Guest_Lillee_*

Guest_Lillee_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:39 AM

like which one does potions and stuff? i tried googling the stuff and it is just confusing me and not specifying anything. most of the stuff is saying that it is the same thing and i believe it is not.

#3 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:08 AM

If you read Sandy & Brian's introduction on the main page, you'll see several mentions of the differences.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#4 Dad0Seven

Dad0Seven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:15 AM

what is the difference between traditional witchcraft and wicca? like what do they do? what do they believe in?

like which one does potions and stuff? i tried googling the stuff and it is just confusing me and not specifying anything. most of the stuff is saying that it is the same thing and i believe it is not.

Short Answers: Difference is that trad witchcraft is a way of life, Wicca is a religion that may use witchcraft (depends on the individual).

For the rest of your searching, feel free to browse other threads on this forum. I would also continue reading and comparing what you've read. You will rarely find someone who will sit down and spoon feed what you're wanting to know. Not to be shitty about it, but this isn't Discovery Channel. Good luck with your investigation!!:wavex:

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Stress: The natural result of your mind short-circuiting your body's justified desire to choke the living shit out of an asshole who so richly deserves it. - Unknown

#5 Guest_Lillee_*

Guest_Lillee_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:33 AM

can you recommend any good books about traditional witchcraft?

#6 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:42 AM

can you recommend any good books about traditional witchcraft?

Not really. There are not any good books on how to be a traditional witch as a whole, you could read up on folklore, herbalism, history and fairy tales, or you could join the forum, people will more likely want to share with you then.

#7 ProphetOfSouls

ProphetOfSouls

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:54 AM

Robin Artisson is a great author to look at, though. His words are sometimes a bit confusing to the reader, but overall his articles read well. If you search around on google you can find them. If you're looking into hedge-riding, look at Hedge-Rider by Eric de Vries. It's a GREAT book, as well as Trance-Portation by Diana L. Paxson.

#8 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:44 AM

Lillee,

I have only been posting on this particular forum for a few days, so I won't claim to have a clear understanding of the beliefs of everyone here. If you ask 10 different people to define the differences between witchcraft and wicca, you will get 10 different answers. Even though, there are some basic tenets to the Craft, which you can easily find by searching the Web and looking for commonality, the path is one that you will have to discover on your own. No one here, no matter what they may say, can walk the path of the Witch for you. I have had a strong family to help me, but even they have had to let me find out some of the hard lessons for myself. I can't say anymore. Not that you would understand, anyway.

Wicca is the watered-down path. It's easier in some ways, because like so many "religions", it absolves the individual of true responsibility. It assumes that the individual must be told the rules, must be controlled, lest we fall into a pit of hedonistic hell-fire. Maybe, that is what you want . . . to be controlled. Or maybe, you'll find that you want more. I don't know.

What I do know is that Witches get really tired of having to explain themselves, so please do not be hurt by some of the responses, which even to me sound overly harsh. It's just frustrating is all. I think most of the others here understand why you are asking. At first, you want to learn everything. It's just better if you learn most of the harder stuff for yourself. Keep asking, though, even if we act annoyed occasionally.

Jevne

#9 ProphetOfSouls

ProphetOfSouls

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:53 AM

I agree that Wicca is watered-down, currently. Wicca is an oath bound, orthopraxic, fertility based witch cult in which one MUST be initiated into to be considered a "real" wiccan because of the inner court information that has to be obtained. The inner court information consists of personal gods' and goddesses' names as well as any other special workings and such that are passed on between covens. Information people get on the internet is considered outer court information and one is not cannot be considered an official wiccan.

Traditional Witches believe you must take your own path to knowledge and will continue this path all your life (not referring to a coven life) and that our information comes from the land or family. From what I've read, it doesn't seem that Wiccans tend to be concerned about spirits and the spirit world as much as we are.

#10 Guest_Lillee_*

Guest_Lillee_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:01 AM

ok well thank you guys so much. i am sorry if i did annoy you guys :) i am just curious

#11 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:36 PM

Sometimes, I think our "sense of annoyance" is more our problem than the seeker's problem. You haven't done anything wrong, and I am glad you are curious.

Jevne

#12 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:18 PM

Sometimes, I think our "sense of annoyance" is more our problem than the seeker's problem. You haven't done anything wrong, and I am glad you are curious.

Jevne

True - that saddest thing would be when one STOPS asking questions.

M

#13 Dad0Seven

Dad0Seven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:57 PM

Lillee,
...If you ask 10 different people to define the differences between witchcraft and wicca, you will get 10 different answers. Even though, there are some basic tenets to the Craft, which you can easily find by searching the Web and looking for commonality, the path is one that you will have to discover on your own. No one here, no matter what they may say, can walk the path of the Witch for you. I have had a strong family to help me, but even they have had to let me find out some of the hard lessons for myself. I can't say anymore. Not that you would understand, anyway.

Wicca is the watered-down path. It's easier in some ways, because like so many "religions", it absolves the individual of true responsibility. It assumes that the individual must be told the rules, must be controlled, lest we fall into a pit of hedonistic hell-fire. Maybe, that is what you want . . . to be controlled. Or maybe, you'll find that you want more. I don't know.

What I do know is that Witches get really tired of having to explain themselves, so please do not be hurt by some of the responses, which even to me sound overly harsh. It's just frustrating is all. I think most of the others here understand why you are asking. At first, you want to learn everything. It's just better if you learn most of the harder stuff for yourself. Keep asking, though, even if we act annoyed occasionally.

Jevne

I agree that Wicca is watered-down, currently. Wicca is an oath bound, orthopraxic, fertility based witch cult in which one MUST be initiated into to be considered a "real" wiccan because of the inner court information that has to be obtained. The inner court information consists of personal gods' and goddesses' names as well as any other special workings and such that are passed on between covens. Information people get on the internet is considered outer court information and one is not cannot be considered an official wiccan.

Traditional Witches believe you must take your own path to knowledge and will continue this path all your life (not referring to a coven life) and that our information comes from the land or family...

I'm going to blame sleep deprivation for my earlier response...the above quotes pretty much sum things up in a nutshell...If mine was perceived as one of the "harsh" replies, I apologize. I'm sure you will notice in later replies, however, that the general theme is the same. Yes, there are a few published (paper and electronic) guidelines for traditional witchcraft but it pretty much is an eclectic practice by definition. Wicca is experiencing its most recent moment in the spotlight along with the good and bad that come with greater scrutiny. Trads pretty much want to do their own thing and be respected for that if not understood. Again, best wishes for your journey in this new year.

Edited by Dad0Seven, 01 January 2010 - 03:59 PM.
spelling

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Stress: The natural result of your mind short-circuiting your body's justified desire to choke the living shit out of an asshole who so richly deserves it. - Unknown

#14 ProphetOfSouls

ProphetOfSouls

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:38 PM

Jevne

I agree! I'm very glad people are more curious about our path, too. I'm not annoyed at all by the fact that someone wants to know information, I actually love teaching people about my path because then I'm not cooped up inside about it.

#15 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:43 PM

Following what people have said about being 'annoyed' by your question, I have one opinion to offer and one bit of advice.

Opinion:
You ask a very simple question, however there is not a simple answer and certainly not a short one. It would take a lot of post typing to answer properly. In addition much of the answer is available on the site for you to read. If you perceived any member irritation it was probably because they felt you may have wanted to be spoon fed. I agree it is very good to ask questions but it is equally good to try to seek out some of the answers for yourself. And that may be the beginning of your journey along the Crooked path.

Advice:
Buy yourself a really lovely book and keep a journal of your questions, answers and other interesting things you find out. This will develop into your own personal Grimoire with time and you will be able to use it to look back on the journey you took. Good luck along the way!

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#16 Guest_Unregistered_*

Guest_Unregistered_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:43 PM

if you are still wondering, i just found this link (http://www.spelwerx.com/wvtw.html) and it helped me a lot.
i find i connect a lot more with traditional witchcraft, but also connect a bit with a (very) few wiccan beliefs as well, but am very sure now that wicca is not my path. good luck. :-)

#17 Guest_Salem_*

Guest_Salem_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:45 PM

Not really. There are not any good books on how to be a traditional witch as a whole, you could read up on folklore, herbalism, history and fairy tales, or you could join the forum, people will more likely want to share with you then.

So why dont we all get our heads together & produce a book on TW spinney? with the amount of knowledge we all have on this forum we could publish a series of books, stop all the confusion for ppl like lilley, plus who better to do it than us lot?? its a fair idea I reckon, the wiccans are getting their message out and have done for years....reckon its bout time TW stepped up to be counted, after all we are the real witches in this world, we're the one's who have had to suffer 600 years of persecution, u know me spin, Im not afraid to give it to ppl straight. lol!! wot do u reckon? fancy yourself as a writer?? lol!! :grin_witch:

#18 Guest_Lea_*

Guest_Lea_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:07 AM

So why dont we all get our heads together & produce a book on TW spinney? with the amount of knowledge we all have on this forum we could publish a series of books, stop all the confusion for ppl like lilley, plus who better to do it than us lot?? its a fair idea I reckon, the wiccans are getting their message out and have done for years....reckon its bout time TW stepped up to be counted, after all we are the real witches in this world, we're the one's who have had to suffer 600 years of persecution, u know me spin, Im not afraid to give it to ppl straight. lol!! wot do u reckon? fancy yourself as a writer?? lol!! :grin_witch:

Good idea, and no offense intended......and I understand that everyone learns differently........in our society we are "book driven" it seems.........but, a lot of us don't write things down and just use our intent, which as we all know is our greatest tool. I personally like the freedom of "no rules" which a lot of traditional witches have in common....we just do what needs to be done at any given moment. This forum is a wonderful place to share ourselves and I am very grateful for the comradery we share here.

I would go nuts if I had to study a book when it is much easier and natural to just follow my instincts and intuition. :)

#19 witchwood

witchwood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:52 AM

There are that many different views on here though that it would either be a mammoth work which no one would want due to the contradictions or a reasonable size but only made up of the views of those whose idea's, practises are similar and then miss out of other equally important parts.
Nice idea but difficult to do in my opinion.

#20 Guest_Salem_*

Guest_Salem_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:21 AM

Yeah true it would be very difficult to do given the amount of different perspectives we have on here, just get pissed off with going into book shops & seeing the fluffy bunny wiccan crap!! dunno, maybe i'll write 1 myself, I just feel that it would be cool if the public could have both views to help them understand us witches, real witches not the fake kind!! oh salem stop urself no wiccan bashing 2day!! lol!! soz was just thinking with my fingers!! lol!! I just reckon for those who feel the natural pull to the craft as we all have there should be a bit more to get them started as long as the book explains that it is simply a guide and that the craft works differently for different ppl & being a TW is really all about individualism and finding ur own path, I just remember how hard it was for me to find my inner witch after my nan suddenly died, she was my teacher as well as my nan and freind, I dunno wot do u reckon lilley, would u buy a book like that in waterstones? Years ago I would of!! lol!!