- - - - -

Tarot Cards

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
98 replies to this topic

#81 Guest_Modern Waltz_*

Guest_Modern Waltz_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:00 AM

Where I live there are a whopping 2 stores that sell tarot decks, and none at either of those places have particularly caught my eye. I found one online once though that I fell in love with! ...but the warm and fuzzy feeling quickly dissapeared when I found out the were $350.00.

#82 Startella

Startella

Czarwonica

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:40 PM

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with using just a plain deck of cards? The deck i currently use does well for me, since I have trouble coming up with the concept of them without continuing to look at the meanings, etc. informational use, is what i use it for, ive read for a couple of friends and it made sense to them. i like the pendulum also... :cheerleader:

PaganMama, you will find that several of us really love our pendulums and there are a few threads here on them too.

As for plain deck of cards.. thats called Cartomancy and look down in this area for the thread called "Cartomancy" . There are several that work with them. As for learning the meanings there is a site http://www.hedgewytc...cartomancy.html
this one is great, as it has it seperated in three different stages. The instrusction are simple and easy to read as you learn to work with the cards and layouts. I am sure this will help.

“Draco Dormien Nuquam Titillandus”
(Never Tickle A Sleeping Dragon)

#83 PaganMama

PaganMama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:44 PM

thank you Startella. I will definatly check that out.

#84 PaganMama

PaganMama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:39 PM

fascinating. I will have fun learning this. Watson, i think we got it. (?) lol

#85 TigerLily

TigerLily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:40 AM

I only have one deck that I am learning to use. It's the "Revelations Tarot" by Zach Wong. It's my first deck and I was very drawn to its vivid colors and stained glass feel to them. They represent all of the symbols and meanings of each card beautifully and clearly.
http://www.astroamer...rot/t-revel.jpg

And I recently ordered the "Medieval Scapini Tarot" by Luigi Scapini. I was very attracted to this deck because of its artwork. I love decks that have an "olde world" feel to them, and apparently each picture in this deck is full of meaning and requires you to really look at them and "study" in order to find its charming little secrets and even humour! Though, I am very inexperienced with tarot, I found that this deck had cards like "Force" and "Coins". Is this a different version? I almost want to assume that Scapini's "Force" card is the equivilant of the "Stregth" card and "Coins" is the equivilant of "Pentacles". Am I wrong?

http://www.wicce.com/scapini.jpg

#86 TigerLily

TigerLily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:01 AM

Um, did a bit of research to answer my own question. "Force" = "Justice", "Coins" = "Pentacles", and another one I was confused about; "Popess" = "High Priestess". I should have expected as much. They are Italian after all! :lol_witch:

#87 musca

musca

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:44 PM

PaganMama, you will find that several of us really love our pendulums and there are a few threads here on them too.

As for plain deck of cards.. thats called Cartomancy and look down in this area for the thread called "Cartomancy" . There are several that work with them. As for learning the meanings there is a site http://www.hedgewytc...cartomancy.html
this one is great, as it has it seperated in three different stages. The instrusction are simple and easy to read as you learn to work with the cards and layouts. I am sure this will help.

I have a Pendulum, and it has become REALLY HOT in the past couple of days as regading me as the one it picked to be its "owner"....I have been asking it questions, and the answers have ASTOUNDED me, to say the least! Let it be known, though, that I accept that the Pendulum picked ME to be its "Owner", and all the things that I have been shown are only because trhe Universe had said that I could see them.

#88 TigerLily

TigerLily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:23 PM

Yaay! My Medieval Scapini tarot deck came in today! :dancing:
The deck is really gorgeous. I like how "old" it feels with its medieval-style Italian artwork. I read a lot about it before buying, and many people have said that you have to really study the artwork to find the meanings in each card. Not a good deck for beginners, but its still lovely! I can't wait to use it!

#89 EliseN

EliseN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:13 PM

Black-cat - if you have a chance to report back, I'd love to know how you enjoy the Medieval Scapini tarot deck in terms of readings.

I checked out the Scapini deck online and it does look very beautiful. I'm curious about your opinion. Thanks!

#90 Anya

Anya

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:30 PM

Well, they can all be viewed at Aeclectic Tarot, so I won't post pictures. With that in mind, here is the short list of favourites:

Tarot Decks:

Druidcraft Tarot
Greenwood Tarot
Rider Waite (1972 print)
Sacred Circle Tarot
Tarot of the Garden Path
Thoth
Universal RWS

Oracle Decks:

Celtic Shaman's Pack (Matthews/Potter)
Celtic Oracle (Matthews)
Devas of Creation (Cilla Conway)
Druid Animal Oracle
Faeries Oracle (Froud/Macbeth)
Fairy Ring Oracle (Mason/Franklin)
Green Man Tree Oracle
Psycards
Titania's Fortune Cards

I just fell in love with the "Green Man Tree Oracle" and the "Tarot of the Garden Path" decks. Beautiful! I want them. :grin_witch:

I only have two tarot decks and and one deck of rune vision cards. I'm trying to learn the system of the tarot but I get slightly frustrated and impatient beacause I want to be able to know how it works right away and there's so much to remember.

I also want the rune vision cards too. :wink:

I am also obsessed with Tarot decks.
I currently own four tarot cards: my first tarot deck - the Fairy Tarot - and, a second one - the Egyptian Tarot. I also have an Art Noveau Tarot deck, and a Witch Tarot deck.

I have an ever growing larger list of decks I'd like to acquire.

My readings are pretty acurate (this afternoon I kind of freaked my cousin out due to that), but I still haven't memorized every meaning of each card (I still use the booklets *facepalm*). Working process, I guess.

I would like to learn further on divination, but I know/sense I will learn about it soon.:witchbroom:

#91 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:34 AM

I have a hard time working with Tarot Decks in the traditional sense, I can give accurate readings with them more through intuition then with reading the cards. To me they have to much Ceremonial Magic symbolism and since I am not a follower of Ceremonial Magic the symbolism is lost on me. I see too much Judeo-Christian gnosis involved. However I have used playing cards before and I have the Lenormand deck which I absolutely love. a.) its symbolism is very basic and straight to the point. and b.) It's easier for me to pin-point dates in a reading.

I still do use my tarot cards when I need a more "philisophical" approach but for more practical questions I use the above methods.

The history of Tarot cards is really very fascinating! :)

-Matthew

#92 agata

agata

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:44 AM

Kitchenwitch,
Absolutely. My husbands grandmothers deck is kept safe for me. When his Aunt dies his grandmother wants me to do some kind of a ritual that involves the cards. I am told there are instructions of what she wants. I consider it a great honor to be entrusted with this. I haven't seen them yet but they are very old. The instructions are that they will given to meat on that day so I'm sure it is about her energy and that it is needed in this ritual. Other than that I am anxious to have them because her energy is in them. Definately cherish them. I'm sure they were very special to her and she relied on them to show her a great deal.

Edited by agata, 17 June 2009 - 07:20 AM.
The text is not clear.

#93 Guest_Lea_*

Guest_Lea_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:14 AM

I have a hard time working with Tarot Decks in the traditional sense, I can give accurate readings with them more through intuition then with reading the cards. To me they have to much Ceremonial Magic symbolism and since I am not a follower of Ceremonial Magic the symbolism is lost on me. I see too much Judeo-Christian gnosis involved. However I have used playing cards before and I have the Lenormand deck which I absolutely love. a.) its symbolism is very basic and straight to the point. and b.) It's easier for me to pin-point dates in a reading.

I still do use my tarot cards when I need a more "philisophical" approach but for more practical questions I use the above methods.

The history of Tarot cards is really very fascinating! :)

-Matthew

I use Sandy's Lenormand oracle deck and I love it! It has been right on every time and I actually prefer it to my tarot decks.

#94 Ancestral Celt

Ancestral Celt

Hermit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:41 PM

I have a hard time working with Tarot Decks in the traditional sense, I can give accurate readings with them more through intuition then with reading the cards. To me they have to much Ceremonial Magic symbolism and since I am not a follower of Ceremonial Magic the symbolism is lost on me. I see too much Judeo-Christian gnosis involved.

You might want to check out the tarot decks listed at Aeclectic - there are thousands and only a few of them use the judeo-christian/ceremonial magic symbolism. ;)

#95 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:39 AM

Thank you for the link to Aeclectic, I have been on their site and enjoy reading up on the different tarot cards. What I should have clarified is that I often find that with the classic 78 card rider-waite tarot it is too heavily symbolized with various ceremonial magic regalia, and the majority of tarot cards follow the classic interperitations through their symbolism (whether classic imagery or not). I think my bias against tarot cards though is just limited to the 78 card (Major/Minor arcana) model. Thank you again for the recommendation though :D I love how helpful everyone here is :)

#96 SweetDreams

SweetDreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:00 AM

I love the tarot also. I have the Rider/Waite deck which I am studying at this time. The few readings I have done have been spot on, or at least I believe they have been. LOL I have always been wanting to learn and now that I am it has been one good experience after another.

#97 Scott

Scott

Irritatingly Thoughtful

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:09 AM

Greetings All,

Well you know stop me if I have said this before but I am not sure I have .. even after the many many diff forms of cartomancy I have tried when I do want a quick fix right now I DO still tend to go back here:

http://www.sleepbot....an/index_p.html

True it is not actually Tarot in the technical sense and for some it IS just too loose for tastes BUT I rarely find it steers me wrong.

Subsisto

Scott

New Me! Now with added incomprehensibilityfullness for your convenience!

#98 Phoenix

Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:46 AM

This is what the cards of my deck look like! Find some pictures of yours and post 'em!

I have this deck, too. I'm not really great at using them without the book though. My favorite deck is the Mythic Tarot with the Gods and Goddess of greek mythology.

#99 Anita

Anita

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:35 AM

ive got a deck here ive had for years, ive had some good success with it, i love tarot cards, only regret is ive not had time to do a reading for a while