Apple Cake

ValarieAnne

Here's a great recipe that came from my great granny, passed along to my gran and then me. I've only recently managed to put it into a recipe form that works out right, and taken out the lard and replaced it with vegetable oil. The other important part of this recipe is that since it's sooo old, it doesnt seem to like modern things like electric mixers. Totally ruins the consistancy of it. When my partner takes it to his union office, it's gone before sunrise. The men there say its the best cake they ever ate ('course none of them have a witch doing their baking either!)

My Gran made this at Haloowe'en and Yule and Hogmanay and other times if I was really good :-)

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup white sugar

2 eggs

1/2 cup oil

4 cups washed, peeled and cored apples thinly sliced and cut (smaller than for pie)

whisk the egs and oil, add the sugars then gently mix in the apples (wooden spoon) and allow to sit for 15 - 30 mins (room temp) mixing gently occasionally

Add

2 cups flour (you can use up to half fine whole wheat if you like)

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 to 1 tsp salt

1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Fold this into your apple mix gently with the wooden spoon, don't beat it up or it is heavy and flat.

Liberally butter a 9 x 14 x 2 inch glass pan and bake cake in 325 to 350 oven for about an hour. The time and temp depend on your oven. Start to check this at about 45 mins. The sides should not pull away from the pan, use a knife to check the center.

If you like you can put a honey glaze or a thin butter cream icing with a wee pinch of cinnamon on this.

Enjoy!