• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 JuniperBaby

JuniperBaby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:30 AM

Thanks to everyone who posted in this aging thread. Okay, so...read widely, listen to my urges, PRACTICE and experiment, expect my ways to be different than my teachers? Anyone want to add something to this old thread, or...was everything said that needed to be said last year? Or did I miss something already said here?

This is pretty much what I have been doing and it is working, I think. I have so many urges lately :-0 And I do think the wicca books do spark my urges and get my brain prepped to listen to...whatever it is that seems to be speaking/teaching me. My practice at times seems so playful...but it seems to be the playful stuff that is the parts I end out keeping longterm, the parts that almost don't feel like...anything much when I try to put it into words...but significant in some sort of way I cannot express in words. I feel like I am changing as I play, and open to more urges.

It all feels so easy and obvious at times, and then so overwhelmingly difficult and impossible elusive at other times.

The whole like a child concept in Christianity always seemed to elude me...but now, in this path...I think I get it, maybe.

Aliis volat propriis.
She flies with her own wings.

#22 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:59 PM

Great thread! Thanks for pumping it, Juniper.

I know this is an old thread but I certainly agree with the "nugget of truth" stuff about Wiccan books. I keep a few of my favorites around and have started to read some of the older Wiccan books like those of Doreen Valiente. And of the Old World Witchcraft thread taught me anything it was not to go by my knee-jerk judgments of authors or books. More than likely there is more to the story. That's the thing with this path- you have to look deeper and be willing to dig deeper. Kind of like finding water in the desert.

I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#23 Havilland

Havilland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

I personally view witchcraft the same way as science. You have to read everything you can, dissect what you've learned and figure out why you think it works and experiment with it to see if you're right. If you're not, you have to figure out why not and try again. From doing this you create your own way of things. While you say the books you have aren't for spell work, the question is who says they aren't? Everything has a magical use. It all depends on how you want to use it and the power you see in it.

I just wanted to do a quick bump of this as it really resonated with me. +1

#24 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

Paul Huson's "Mastering Witchcraft" is an excellent basic, beginning book. He does mention diviinity, but you can skip past that if you want. Some of his book is devoted to 'de-conditioning' yourself from culturaly-ingrained thought processes. This can make you feel like an idiot when you're doing the exercise, but it does actually work and make you realise how idiotic some of your cultural fears/assumptions are.

I didn't get on very well with this book to be honest. He put me off when he kept wanting me to recite the Lord's Prayer backwards. I just kind of got the impression that he sees witchcraft as an alternative belief structure to Christianity rather than a path in its own right. There is some decent info in there but you do have to wade through a third of the book before you find anything of real value. IMO of course!

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#25 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

His is not the path I walk, but I did find it interesting and worthy to realize the amount of deconditioning I had to do. Not even from previous religious training, per se, but from simply growing up in a culture that exposes society to specific beliefs through simple television shows, mundane conversations, etc.

M

#26 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

I didn't get on very well with this book to be honest. He put me off when he kept wanting me to recite the Lord's Prayer backwards. I just kind of got the impression that he sees witchcraft as an alternative belief structure to Christianity rather than a path in its own right. There is some decent info in there but you do have to wade through a third of the book before you find anything of real value. IMO of course!

Deguwitchrose,

You and I walk different paths in many ways, but on this point we agree. Don't much care for that book myself; although, some of the former xtians on the forum made a case for the lord's prayer backward in another thread.

Jevne

#27 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

His is not the path I walk, but I did find it interesting and worthy to realize the amount of deconditioning I had to do. Not even from previous religious training, per se, but from simply growing up in a culture that exposes society to specific beliefs through simple television shows, mundane conversations, etc.

M

Re deconditioning: It is amazing how much free time you have and how much less decondiitoning you have to do when you don't have TV piped in to your house constantly. Three cheers for living in the middle of nowhere! Now....this damn computer.....:D

#28 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:02 AM

One self-teaching technique I see in what I read and experience of TW is to think primitively, in literal terms that everything is alive and conscious. You Want to connect with ancestors...use grave yard dirt, because the dead are literally buried in the ground/dirt at your feet. You want to know how to use a rose in a spell? Ask it. Your innate "spidy powers" will connect. Need to set boundaries? Mark your territory with your urine...which is why the witch's bottle uses it for protection. Anything that looks male/phallic can assist in dominance matters; anything female/round can assist in nurturing/growth matters.

#29 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:52 PM

I need to simplify and dumb things down to use them, whether I read it, get leads from interaction with spirits, or saw it on YouTube. I have to put it into terms that have meaning for me. I only use what I have on hand. You know when to pee on something; pee marks territory and conveys piss off, get out. And it's readily available in a convenient carry-along package.

Bones, the frames of formerly living things. Honestly, other than soup stock, I have no standard associations for their uses. Nothing wrong with kitchen witchin' and a hearty broth. Mmm, I suppose if I needed it, bones can be used as a spirit house for a companion, or as link to an animal guide. There are easier methods. I fluffily admit to being too squeamish to harvest. I'm not a hunter.

Plants? What's growing in my back yard supplies my needs. I just planted what I like - rose, lilac, lily, lily of the valley, and mint - and nature filled in the gaps. Anywhere untended houses nightshade, wild grape vine, blessedly abundant dandelion. These plants either smell good to me, helping to make associations for use, or look like something which i associate to a purpose. I know better than to eat anything I haven't done the research on. These and olive oil cover a wide range of possibilities. Some simples from grocery store herbal teas fill the medicinal needs.

So, working intuitively, I just reduce things down to what's available, and what associations (correspondences) they have for me. It's a very simple method. It seems to work.

#30 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:43 PM

How do you use Lily of the Valley?

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#31 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 04:41 PM

I put a bouquet on my altar to assist in communicating with earth spirits. The scent of the flowers and their presence make a connection in my head. The connection is like a path I can then follow. Substituting scented oil doesn't work.

Other uses would be illusion in manifesting the earth element, or in anything to which the earth element applies, but always with a caveat because Lily of the valley is also protective by deception, masking, redirecting. It seems to exude a ground level shield to redirect negative energy away from the area the plant is located in.

Lily of the valley was the first plant I "played with" as a kid. And the first thing I got from it was it's deception, so I didn't trust it until I figured out what it's deception was for. Quite literally it's strong scent was to keep from being stepped on.

#32 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:11 PM

Lily of the valley I associate with death. I have no idea why.
Ive seen the little bell flowers seem to have no folds or seems like they could not possibly have grown but yet they did. Fascinating little things.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#33 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:22 PM

It's toxic, but I think it would take quite a bit to off somebody. It suspect that's why I perceive it as deceptive. It smells lovely but it's poisonous. And the way it spreads with those long fingers of roots growing horizontally. They don't jump a border, they burrow underneath, and come up. Kinda creepy, really but you gotta admire their pluck.

Edited by Zombee, 25 June 2016 - 05:27 PM.

#34 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:41 PM

Seriously? I had no idea. It grew outside of my mother's front door growing up.

This is probably something one should not admit but I was totally the kind of kid to do weird shit like bite on a plant to see what the taste and texture was like. (Way after the put things in your mouth stage.) I was particularly fascinated with the texture of mom's African Violet's leaves. I don't recall ever do in that with the lily of the valley though. I just remember staring at the little bell flowers rather entranced by them. I always thought some should be planted in the town graveyard - seemed appropriate somehow.

A few years ago I went by myself on a "let's explore reportedly haunted places" adventure to this burned out sanitarium in PA. Which was awesome. There were several buildings. There had been a fire and it had been abandoned for decades. There was only one building where I FELT something. Some dark intelligent energy. Not sure if it was ex-human or not.
This building was very burnt. However along the backside of it there were just tons of lily of the valley growing thick against the back wall. I have never seen it grow like that. Something about the combination of the spirit activity, the burned building, and the sight and smell of the lily of the valley was absolutely beautiful and sad. My first thought was to pick a piece and did take one little bit before I even considered what I was doing. Then I got a "that's not yours" vibe so I apologized and did not take anymore. I DID put that one flower in my pocket and zipped it.
When I got back to my car and went to retrieve it was gone.

Wow rambling bad- sorry:)

Edited by Oroboros, 25 June 2016 - 05:43 PM.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#35 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:43 PM

Our neighbor's house was quite old and the lily of the valley grew under a clump of trees and down the u-shaped hill, and onto the grassy roof of a former chicken coop that backed up to the hill. Thousands of them. The scent in the air was ... Bliss. And in our yard was an enormous white lilac bush. I think remembering these two plantings is why I put the same kind in my current garden, tho' on a smaller scale.

#36 NightshadeMoon

NightshadeMoon

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 12:16 PM

I would like to thank you, Zombee for talking about lily of the valley in this post. I was able to answer a Jeopardy question because of it. The category was Poisonous Plants, and I was all too happy to see lily of the valley in there. (working on my herb knowledge)

I find reading books and gleaning knowledge from them very difficult. I have a short attention span, and taking in too much information at once leaves me with my eyes crossed. I do much better with note taking if it is given to me in an oral context, or as part of a lesson. If I try to take notes from a book I often find myself not knowing what precisely I should focus on. So if anyone has some lesson style occult books that would be great for me.