bewilderbeast

Is secrecy still important to you?

If you're looking for something that's visually appealing, maybe moving into a bound journal with a lock on it may be a good idea. Otherwise, maybe just getting a small lockbox would be good enough. I have a wooden one (no lock on it in my case), painted black that I picked up on a trip to South America once. Something like that could work to be your safe place to deposit your notebooks.

Perhaps its best to keep it simple and pop it into a lock box. I thought about a bound journal but $$$

I think I should look more at the poetry idea. 

I dont worry much because my husband is an animist, and while he takes issue with some aspects of my study, he shares widely the same beliefs I do. With one kinda big exception: the craft. I mean, I practice witchcraft and I'm still a skeptic and an anti-mystic. Most of my practice is practical, and I don't actually refer to it as witchcraft out loud. But I am studying some practices that aren't quite sensible in the modern context, things you kinda can't take the mysticism out of, you can't make practical. 

---

Certain parts of the craft, I think, should be held in secrecy by true practitioners, like assault rifles should be. Wicca can have its "and it harm none" frilly practices, like a shotgun for a home invader, but the larger works should be a trial to obtain by (apprenticed or solitarily) trained practitioners, as the automatic weapon should be reserved for psychologically sound, ethical and moral, educated and practiced gunmen.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps its best to keep it simple and pop it into a lock box. I thought about a bound journal but $$$

I think I should look more at the poetry idea. 

I dont worry much because my husband is an animist, and while he takes issue with some aspects of my study, he shares widely the same beliefs I do. With one kinda big exception: the craft. I mean, I practice witchcraft and I'm still a skeptic and an anti-mystic. Most of my practice is practical, and I don't actually refer to it as witchcraft out loud. But I am studying some practices that aren't quite sensible in the modern context, things you kinda can't take the mysticism out of, you can't make practical. 

---

Certain parts of the craft, I think, should be held in secrecy by true practitioners, like assault rifles should be. Wicca can have its "and it harm none" frilly practices, like a shotgun for a home invader, but the larger works should be a trial to obtain by (apprenticed or solitarily) trained practitioners, as the automatic weapon should be reserved for psychologically sound, ethical and moral, educated and practiced gunmen.

But then "if it harms none" it would be an impractical shotgun. Just saying, a shotgun that can't harm anyone is literally just a super-soaker.  :lol_witch:

Prose sounds like a good idea for you, then. It wouldn't work for me because my poetry is very straightforward in its language, and depends more on rhythm (almost no rhyme). But if you're writing like the good oldies and using loads of references and symbolism that is unique to you, then that should be more than enough to hide in plain text.

Edited by StJohn

lol, good point on the shotgun. supersoaker? :P 

Sometimes I wish I knew others in the area, it would be hella interesting to see how others are keeping records, how their secrets stay secret. i think it would be n ice to be able to share a little secrecy now and again.

but perhaps not.

Edited by BeanSiFiain
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Secrecy (and privacy, protection) always has been top priority for us .

No one would ever have  a  clue what our spiritual/esoteric practices or beliefs are.

Nothing about our homes, dress, actions, lifestyle, speech etc. gives away anything; learned early in life to  only disclose what we know and do on a need to know basis, keep everything close to the cuff. 

Like that commercial "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas", haha

Edited by Homeschoolie
Readabilty

Have to agree with you there Homeschoolie.  My art, my activity and music choices and favorite topics of conversation should provide enough clue to somebody of similar interest without having to shout my beliefs from the treetops.  I do not believe in crusades or conversion so it's pretty much don't ask don't tell with me.

I agree with Whispering Willow. I don't like to advertise but it would be obvious to someone else who follows the Crooked Path.

My partner is Athiest so he is indifferent to all my feathers and other paraphernalia. He just cocks an eyebrow now and then at my otherworldly antics. Whenever anyone asks him about me, he just says 'this is my Missus, she's into her candles'

I used to dress up in all the black regalia with plenty of dark eye make-up and Doc Martin boots the size of small barges! And I still prefer dark clothing, but as I get older it seems less of a priority to show off my gothic side anymore.

I quite like being the 'strange lady who listens to heavy metal and classical music' and 'does weird shit', 'says weird shit' etc....

It's enigmatic....x

I too am strange and unusual!  I keep quite about my workings, but once and a while a stranger will say something esoteric and my ears will prick up and go "your a witch arent you."  It is like finding a lost sister.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I kind of stand out here in Montana.  I don't carry a gun, wear camo, drive a lifted 4WD, appear in public intoxicated, urinate on the public restroom floor, have a dead animal in the back of my pickup,  wear an unkempt beard, get into fist fights over which cheap shitty beer is best, chew Copenhagen or regard Donald Trump as the savior of man.  I live a country/nature lifestyle but am certainly not a 'redneck'.  When I was growing up that was a racial slur actually, aimed at us dirt diggin', shit kickin', goat ropin', hay buckin' farm kids.  I'm not implying that everyone here is like that, but there are enough that you notice them first.  Wearing protective jewelry and talking about faeries attracts the wrong sort of attention around here, so Wiccans are few, and male witches even fewer.  I have a small circle, but we do not readily invite outsiders...

Edited by Sagefire
Grammar
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I went to Montana for a weekend Mass Meditation thing.  Held by a Guru of some importance at the time.  Montana is beautiful, but you discribed its citizens to a T.  I don't think that they thought much of  meditating hippies either.  

I should add that this was sometime ago in the early 80's.

Edited by Onyx

In stark contrast to the rampant white trash we have some amazing tribal influences and events throughout the year that resonate with the natural beauty of the surroundings.  Even more incongruous is our Buddhist ashram, Garden of 1000 Buddhas in the rez town of Arlee, just outside Missoula, which hosts an annual Peace Festival, very awesome.  Seeing Buddhist monks on an Indian reservation is something to tell the grandkids about.  The natural power and energies of this place are part of what keep me here, along with the remaining meditating hippies, and there are more than a few.  While I may never dance skyclad with a local coven, naked in the woods is just fine, as long as the snow isn't too deep or the thistles too tall.

Somewhere in this long old thread I’m pretty sure I prattled on about how secrecy is a really big thing for me. My dad is super stoic and super Catholic. He’d kick me out of his house if he knew half of the real things about me (ha!). He likes to hike and collect cool looking rocks. He’s had this HUGE rose quartz he found for a long time just sitting in his guest room. Just visited a few months ago and I asked him if I could have it. He said “What are you gonna do with it?” (kind of attackingly, because he’s like that- like “gimme a good reason”) and I paused for a moment and almost didn’t answer and then I said “magic”, kinda like maybe I was joking but with a straight face. He thinks I was joking. Either way, I got to take it home with me. 

Well done Ravengraey, nice score!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sagefire said:

as long as the snow isn't too deep or the thistles too tall.

I agree, never good in any situation.   Nor, sitting on an ant hill!

Full Moon Rising!  Oh!  The horror!