I love you :)

#42 bewilderbeast

bewilderbeast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:25 PM

<3
"Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen." Johan Wolfgang von Goethe

"If you have a garden and a library, you have all you need." Cicero

Visit my blog!
http://InspiredByFoodie.blogspot.com

#43 Guest_Lea_*

Guest_Lea_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:07 PM

I really like "hiding in plain sight"....has always been part of my nature...something about mystery that is very sensual...lol

#44 Guest_Magdalena_*

Guest_Magdalena_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:34 PM

Think like a Chef maybe. Give out the recipe but not the secret ingredient lol. :0)

#45 bewilderbeast

bewilderbeast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:23 PM

Think like a Chef maybe. Give out the recipe but not the secret ingredient lol. :0)

Ah yes. I do as well... I have no problem educating someone on the matter when asked. I believe ignorance builds fear which perpetuates bad things to happen. Some people's minds can never be changed, or opened, but the few who are willing to learn make a difference. But I'm not telling them the few links that put it all together.
I believe someone else stated before in this thread, to the affect of, "You may think I'm divulging my heart, but I always keep something for myself."

"Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen." Johan Wolfgang von Goethe

"If you have a garden and a library, you have all you need." Cicero

Visit my blog!
http://InspiredByFoodie.blogspot.com

#46 Nyx

Nyx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:51 PM

I think i'd be open to selective friends but still, I wouldn't shove anything in anyones faces.

"Let us sleep for in dreams we enter a world that’s entirely our own.
Let us swim through the deepest ocean or glide over the highest cloud."

#47 Ravun_Garraiodoir

Ravun_Garraiodoir

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:23 AM

For the most part privacy is still very importaint to me. Yes, Wicca is recognized by the Army as a "religion",however there is still a lot of negative attitude toward anyone who claims that path. PLUS, since I don't call myself wiccan, I have gotten into a few discussions trying to explain the difference, which of course ends up with the same response "oh, well it's all the same anyway."

#48 Guest_twistedbee_*

Guest_twistedbee_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:15 PM

For me secrecy is necessary, I am under oath and take it very seriously.

#49 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

POPULAR

As to what I actually do, well that I keep to myself as it would not be a mystery tradition if we told all and sundry.

Bumping this little tidbit, again, simply because it speaks to something that I was thinking on after reading a bit about World Religions Day, which I was previously unaware of. (Thanks, D.)While the premises of tolerance and peace deserve their rightful places in civilized society, I realized that I become indignant when those concepts cause any individual or group to cross the line from acknowledgement and respect to flagrant / unabashed assimilation.

I am not referring to the various individuals here, who have already said that they incorporate methods and symbolism of other Paths into their practice. I have talked with Aloe, Marabet, Sarasuperid, among others, about how they engage the energies of other Paths. I give a nod to each of them for showing that it is possible to honor something without taking it over and declaring it for your own.

For example, when I responded to Athena that I see Traditional Witchcraft and Native American Spirituality as different, I was demonstrating my profound respect for her heritage and belief system, not insinuating that one was better than the other, or that there were not recognizable similarities. I may ask Athena or others on different Paths about their ways, but I will never lay claim to their mysterious or imply that I am deserving of the full depth of knowledge that they have earned through joy and tragedy.

As we were discussing in Chat one evening, far too many new age types have taken to calling themselves "traditional", as if using the word to describe themselves somehow makes them Traditional Witches. OK, don't go all pissy on me here. I am well aware that there are many, legitimate and honorable ways to practice Traditional Witchcraft. (Not just regular, but profound, respect, after all.) I also recognize that everyone has to start somewhere, so I have no problem with those who are trying to explore the possibilities, but . . .

I resent any group or individual, who slaps the word "Traditional" on a book or website, dishonoring the Path that my Kin (here and IRL) and me have spent our entire lives learning and practicing. I enjoy sharing with and learning from others, reading and hearing about the different Paths and practices. That is why I am on the TW Forum, after all. :) I find the basic premises of World Religions Day appealing for the same reason, but I remain secretive and private for the most part, because I do not wish to be assimilated. The christians did it to the Pagans. The settlers did it to the Native Americans. Now, the wiccans are trying to do it to the Traditional Witches. It is hard to describe how angry that makes me, personally.

#50 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Voted you up J.
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#51 Athena

Athena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

Very well spoken J . 1 up

#52 Marabet

Marabet

Miss Clavel's Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

Another vote from me, J.
I ran to a tower where the church bells chime
I hoped that they would clear my mind
They left a ringing in my ear
But that drum's still beating loud and clear

{Florence + The Machine 'Drumming Song'}

#53 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

Voted up as well! Throughout history there have always been those that who hold themselves above others and try to impose control and religion has been the time honored and favored method of these types. There are those who conform and there are those who rebel. You can not heard wolves like you can sheep.

#54 Apryl

Apryl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Really gave me chills, J. +1 from me. Very well said and provokes much emotion. I could never have articulated that feeling/fear in me as well as you have. :applause:

I remain private for a variety of reasons and J's post has said my feelings more than I can. I am on my own path, learning the only way I know how and it's not for debate or argument or speculation for those who don't walk their own or that I don't choose to include in my life. So much has changed since I came to this forum, regarding my path and my open-nes and the choice I am afforded to speakfof, or not, my craft. I won't hijack this thread with examples that would perhaps be more appropriate in a thread of it's own.

So to the OP, yes, secrecy is very important to me but not for the same reasons they used to be. All I can say is that more has been revealed and I hide in plain sight because that's where I'm supposed to be. My immediate family supports me and puts up with me, lol. My things are out in my home for those with eyes to see and are spelled to appear harmless. It's the way of my grandmother and those before her and it's good enough for me. I would love to have my own workroom and my husband is currently trying to get me that space. My notes are in plain English and hidden but they are as wonky and hard to read as my posts, lol, so I don't think anyone is in danger of learning too much!

Edited for spelling and poor structure. :grin_witch:

Edited by Apryl, 29 January 2013 - 11:09 PM.

#55 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

My notes are in plain English and hidden but they are as wonky and hard to read as my posts, lol, so I don't think anyone is in danger of learning too much!

LOL! I actually learned a lot from that. :D

#56 Deminotus

Deminotus

Advanced Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:43 AM

Great Post j, im glad you went read about world religion day. I agree with alot of this, and im glad other people feel the same way. +1
all that glitters isn't gold

#57 Guest_atropa_*

Guest_atropa_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

I would tend to go along with Grimrs methods of hiding things in plain sight. For instance this could be in a short tale, poem, song etc. Saves having to learn a new alphabet which would more than likely be easier to crack than the way of hiding in plain sight which also would attract far less attention to the idly inquisitive that may stumble upon the grimoire.

I agree with Nightscent,

This is one way of passing information and knowleged thats used by oral Traditions; still used today by some.

#58 Guest_atropa_*

Guest_atropa_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

I resent any group or individual, who slaps the word "Traditional" on a book or website, dishonoring the Path that my Kin (here and IRL) and me have spent our entire lives learning and practicing. I enjoy sharing with and learning from others, reading and hearing about the different Paths and practices. That is why I am on the TW Forum, after all. :) I find the basic premises of World Religions Day appealing for the same reason, but I remain secretive and private for the most part, because I do not wish to be assimilated. The christians did it to the Pagans. The settlers did it to the Native Americans. Now, the wiccans are trying to do it to the Traditional Witches. It is hard to describe how angry that makes me, personally.

I agree with this Jevne.

Edited by atropa, 31 January 2013 - 06:13 PM.

#59 BirdieMcCloud

BirdieMcCloud

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:07 AM

I find the basic premises of World Religions Day appealing for the same reason, but I remain secretive and private for the most part, because I do not wish to be assimilated. The christians did it to the Pagans. The settlers did it to the Native Americans. Now, the wiccans are trying to do it to the Traditional Witches. It is hard to describe how angry that makes me, personally.

I'm very private about my beliefs and practices, in part because I think it's so personal and possibly divisive that I want to make absolutely certain that those who are let in the know are both trustworthy and will also not be overly distressed for the state of my soul or whatever. So there's the self-protective reasoning - yes, the world is more understanding now, but we're not at the point where I can say something about hedgecrossing and have people respond as casually as if I'd been to Sunday church service. Bad enough that plenty of people in America give me odd looks when I talk about the ancestral offerings that are part of mainstream Taiwanese practices and religion; that is an open part of the culture that is hardly hidden or secretive, and it still makes people give me strange looks. So no, I'm keeping my witchiness to myself.

However, I'm also private because I know quite a few of the people in my social circles are exploring their own paths along magical lines, and I don't want to become an adverse influence on their own growth and development - to assimilate THEM into my developing path. I am all too aware that in the beginning stages, people often latch onto anyone with 'more experience' as an expert and will follow everything they do or say as holy writ. (And yes, I include my younger beginning self in this group of wide-eyed ducklings looking for a guide across the road.) And that's not fair to them or myself - I don't want to unfairly skew their perspectives down any path or other (or cause them shame if they're discovering something that makes them feel empowered for the first time in their lives) because all that I know right now is what is right for ME, and my experiences will likely not apply to anyone else.

My notes are in plain English and hidden but they are as wonky and hard to read as my posts, lol, so I don't think anyone is in danger of learning too much!

I keep meaning to write things down and I keep just dismissing it as unimportant. I wish I had more of a complete record of my explorations and failures and successes - but it never seems important to me to actually write anything down, and seems more of a security risk than it's worth. If it's true, real, and done, then I just want to move forward without reflection because sure, it's real and done and complete in my view, and no one else is going to have any use for my notes...I don't plan on having kids to pass things onto and no one else in my family is magically-inclined.

Still, sometimes I daydream about having a lovely grimoire with clear sections and awesome personal notes.

#60 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:20 AM

. . . I am all too aware that in the beginning stages, people often latch onto anyone with 'more experience' as an expert and will follow everything they do or say as holy writ. (And yes, I include my younger beginning self in this group of wide-eyed ducklings looking for a guide across the road.) And that's not fair to them or myself - . . .

I agree with this assessment. There is a big difference between a knowledgable teacher of willing students and a charismatic shepherd of mindless sheep.
I respect that you recognize this and try to avoid insinuating yourself.