148 replies to this topic

#21 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 07:20 PM

As for the teachings themselves, I don't think any of us is concerned about them being discovered and misused. Simply for the fact that the majority of the time, in the hands of a novice they're not going to work. (we very much treat our tradition as a craft that is learned as opposed to an inherent ability.)

Oh - I like that. That makes perfect sense and is, I think, a very good point.

M

#22 Penny on the Ground

Penny on the Ground

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:46 PM

And I have to admit, it is one made from vast personal experience :)

Of course, someone who believes that the craft is inherent will disagree with me. All I can say is that I have yet to see anyone cast successfully without knowing what they are doing and even if they do manage it, most workings are so personalised that they would probably see limited results anyway.

#23 Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch

Mistress of havok

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:13 PM

I'm not one to be very secretive. I wear a pentacle to work around my neck or my pentacle ring or even my earringsings. As for at home, well, I don't hide my books or anythig, but I do hide my grimoire. That is my private book and not for anyone else to read. I have a hiding place in my old console TV that reside in my living room. It does not work anymore and is there for decorative purposes and I took the top off it and attached hinges to the back of the top and a hidden latch system to lock it down so if someone tried to see if it opened it would not.

Inside I made a section to hold my grimoire and it works well for me. It is written in plain english. I figured that way then I can pass it on to my daughter when the time comes.

Age does not bring with it wisdom. Wisdom comes with experience.

#24 sophiadawn

sophiadawn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:58 AM

Your modified console TV sounds like a really nifty idea! I like it.

I do maintain a pretty stiff degree of secrecy even in my home. Hubby just wouldnt' get it and it isn't worth the fight to try and explain. However some things are hidden in plain sight

#25 bewilderbeast

bewilderbeast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:12 AM

I'm loving all of the responses. It makes my heart happy in a way I guess, to see that everyone is passed the whole "shhhh" thing.
I guess it makes sense, didn't think of it that way, no I don't have a problem with the basic teachings being put out there, I guess I was thinking about the possibility of someone finding my awesome recipe for self destruction powder... just kidding. haha.
Well, I think I feel better now about making this a somewhat digital project. I think my main hang up was that I felt like if I didn't create these heirlooms completely "by hand" I would be cheating the system.... hmmm I think I just get sad from time to time that I don't have a giant book of family secrets passed down from the old country...

"Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen." Johan Wolfgang von Goethe

"If you have a garden and a library, you have all you need." Cicero

Visit my blog!
http://InspiredByFoodie.blogspot.com

#26 Whispering Willow

Whispering Willow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:19 AM

I'm not in hiding but I don't advertise either. I write in plain jane english most times, though that may vary depending on my mood and how creative I'm feeling at the time. I figure this is going to be something I pass on to my daughter if she so chooses to follow the path. My boys don't seem interested much, but the door is still open for them as well. My writing is in a large book, and its kept tucked away but will be made available to my children if they so choose to jump in that pond.
My home looks pretty much like everyone else's at a casual glance, but to those posessing the knowledge, signs can be seen here and there. My bedroom has a large case full of my witchy stuff and there's nothing to hide it or make it seem something else. Since this is not a typically public room in my home, I don't bother to conceal. My partner knows my beliefs, though his are dramatically different so there's really no need for me to hide it.
As for adorning myself, well, there again are a few choice pieces that I wear that those with the knowledge might recognize, but for the most part, I resemble your typical country girl when I'm out and about. I can wear my pieces anywhere I choose without fear of persecution..ie, in the workplace, school functions etc. I live in a very small closed minded community so I've learned to hide in plain sight for self preservation as well as for the acceptance and well being of my children.:vhappywitch:

#27 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:07 AM

During my beginning stages of learning the Craft, I was taught through the method of Poetic myth, when inquiring about why we learned that way the answer I was presented was interesting and pertains to the post. We learned through poetic myth for a number of reasons, a small one being secrecy - those without the eyes to see and the ears to hear would make neither yay nor nay of the teachings. However the biggest reasons where for lack of a better word protective of the individuals. They pertained to a certain level of practical application, they where just stories without the practical understanding of the forces and nature they present. Another is to allow the seeker to experience them within their own field of understanding, to create an archetypal personal extension to the mysteries themselves.

As far as my personal life and secrecy - I do not advertise my beliefs, and while I am not "out of the broom closet" as they say, my house is the exception. I enjoy the nature of the Witches cottage and my "castle" certainly expresses this. My original post was directed at the nature of Grimoires and their contents.

"Nothing is truly forgotten about the Arte, for within it's own domain - The Circle - the spirits will speak to those with ears to hear." - Andrew D. Chumbley

"And thus the Flesh of Clay was flayed, and from Earth's greenery, a New Flesh made!"

#28 TigerLily

TigerLily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:15 PM

Because of what people still think what witchcraft is (Satanism, evil, black magic, etc) I don't let anyone know that I am a witch. Only people who know about what I do is my boyfriend and one or two other people that I trust knowing, mostly because they have similar practices as well. As far as my place goes, I don't hide anything, except when my mom is coming to visit, then I make sure to hide EVERYTHING. I feel bad about it, but my mom has the most misguided impression of witchcraft that a non-religious person can have. But other than that, yeah, I am secretive to people i'm not comfortable/familiar with knowing only because of how people STILL view witchcraft. Though, if someone were to ask me (don't include my mother lol) I wouldn't lie about my craft.

#29 mcdee2005

mcdee2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:05 PM

I certainly do not advertise the fact that i am a witch. My beliefs however i am outspoken about (freedom of speech and all that). Anyone who asks me directly however, would be told that yes i am a witch. That would quickly be followed by the "Do you have a problem with that?" question. practicing the craft is done in secret

Secrecy has always been a part of the craft, the fact is even if you go back a couple of hundred years the secrecy was not all that secret everybody who required the services of a witch knew exactly who to go to, it was just they would never mention that they had and therefore the secrecy was maintained.

McD

#30 Cedar

Cedar

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:01 AM

I tend to be fairly secretive about being a witch and my practices. My family knows, but I wouldn't think of sharing it with my co-workers who are all staunch Christians. They are all a bunch of judgemental busy bodies, so I tend to not share much of anything about my private life with them anyway.

I live alone, so I am able to keep my witchy things out all the time. But if certain people are coming over, yes, I will hide them. It's just so much easier that way.

I do keep record of everything magical in my life, but I do it online. I have a livejournal and I keep it privatized so only I can read it. I've kept it for 5 years now, and every new month I go back and read the previous year's entries for the same month. This system has really worked well for me. I keep separate notebooks full of stuff I've downloaded online, etc. but my personal magical musings, spells and all go on the private journal.

#31 bewilderbeast

bewilderbeast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:34 AM

I do keep record of everything magical in my life, but I do it online. I have a livejournal and I keep it privatized so only I can read it. I've kept it for 5 years now, and every new month I go back and read the previous year's entries for the same month. This system has really worked well for me. I keep separate notebooks full of stuff I've downloaded online, etc. but my personal magical musings, spells and all go on the private journal.

Oooh, I kinda like that idea, I'm a techy witch here too.... maybe I'll look into that just for my own personal stuff, not the things I plan to pass on :thanks:

"Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen." Johan Wolfgang von Goethe

Visit my blog!

#32 Cedar

Cedar

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 04:21 PM

Oooh, I kinda like that idea, I'm a techy witch here too.... maybe I'll look into that just for my own personal stuff, not the things I plan to pass on :thanks:

Wonderful! Glad you like the idea. I have a lot of fun with my Livejournal because I enjoy "decorating" the page. I played around with a few downloadable diary programs but they didn't allow for changes to the backgrounds and all. I found them rather bland. Since I don't really know how to have my own website, Livejournal sort of meets a need I have for creativity on the web.

#33 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:11 PM

Hello!

I am a private person by nature, so even though I will share things, I will never share everything. As a Witch, I do what needs to be done. Sometimes, I'm OUT. Ta Da, here I am. Other times, I'm very IN. Anyone, who visits my home and doesn't figure out within the first 5 minutes, that I am a Witch, is not very observant or doesn't care.

Jevne

Edited by Jevne, 29 January 2013 - 05:44 PM.

#34 witchwood

witchwood

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:23 AM

I'm "out" to the fact that I'm of the Craft and due to other peoples understanding they assume i'm a druid which is fine. It has allowed others to come "out" to me at work which is good as it gives them a support network should they need it in the work environment.
As to what I actually do, well that I keep to myself as it would not be a mystery tradition if we told all and sundry.

#35 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:50 PM

As to what I actually do, well that I keep to myself as it would not be a mystery tradition if we told all and sundry.

Well said. I'm not into the over-share either. Even when people think I'm sharing a lot, there is always something I'm not saying.

Jevne

#36 Guest_Lea_*

Guest_Lea_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:12 PM

I used to have to hide all of my things...now I don't. But, I would not have them out for just any eyes to see like with company coming over or extended family.

I hid so much shit, I probably forgot where some of it was. My things are very private to me.....and so is my home, so I can have an alter and my books available to me now....no more digging them out when I need one. I even had to keep my essential oils/herbs hidden...........man, it feels so good to have freedom now!

#37 bewilderbeast

bewilderbeast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

.....man, it feels so good to have freedom now!

I hear ya, I know where you're coming from. It's like telling a little kid they can stay up all night. Like, really? I can do what want? :tongue0013:

I hope my kids never feel like that. It's such an awful feeling to have to hide things all the time. Even if they decide to be Catholic...:blobfire:....*biting tongue* lol

Visit my blog!

#38 Guest_Lea_*

Guest_Lea_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:50 PM

I hope my kids never feel like that. It's such an awful feeling to have to hide things all the time. Even if they decide to be Catholic...:blobfire:....*biting tongue* lol

lol....I have taught my kids to follow their own hearts....and don't believe anything anyone tells them, even me....find their own truths....and they do.

#39 Dawn

Dawn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:10 AM

My son is very anti establishment, anti religious and well pretty much anti most things. He is a typical 'fight the power' lefty student lol!!!

I have never hidden anything from him or my mum. The rest of the family im selective with but they all know what im in to, even though every now and again my aunt will shriek, 'OMG why are you reading about Witchcraft???!!!!!' :)

I dont think its overly necessary to be 'out' but i get what your saying about having to hide everything. Must have been hard.

I like keeping my craft to myself sometimes. Its mine, its magickal, beautiful and facinating.

#40 bewilderbeast

bewilderbeast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:26 PM

Its mine, its magickal, beautiful and facinating.

Awww, just like you dawn!? lol :wink:

:kat:

Visit my blog!