Sign in to follow this  
agata

Does the devil really wear Prada?

I've had this happen too. Now I do occasionally buy things completely new, I look for the best deal possible. I have a two closets full of beautiful clothes and they are either hand made or cost under $10. I also tend to refab anything that tears up. No need to waste good materials.

ohhh now I'm jeleous... I haven't much skill at all in useful sewing beyond mending tears, and hemming...!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ohhh now I'm jeleous... I haven't much skill at all in useful sewing beyond mending tears, and hemming...!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Even with that little bit of skill you can do some great work. You just have to be creative^_^ I've redone shirts with nothing but a pair of scissors and some imagination.

Even with that little bit of skill you can do some great work. You just have to be creative^_^ I've redone shirts with nothing but a pair of scissors and some imagination.

LOL I have the scissors.. i think its the imagination I'm lacking

:P

This thread has popped up in several unrelated searches for me lately so I guess I'll bump it. lol

I find the whole "should a witch eschew modern indulgences and dedicate their excess to charitable causes" question to be a leftover from guilt inducing religions. Rabid materialism can be damaging, especially if its indulged at the expense of your family's livelihood, but its not an indicator of whether or not a person is a witch. Its cool if someone's personal ethics require them to give away their excess to less fortunate people and rescue animals and not indulge their materialistic desires, but again, it has nothing to do with whether or not they're a witch.

Some of my indulgences are pretty ridiculous but I say "fuck you and your little dog too" to anyone who would try to make me feel guilty about them. :P_witch:

If you know what you do, for yourself or others, and are satisfied, that should be all that matters. No need to justify to those who want to judge. JMO

Some of my indulgences are pretty ridiculous but I say "fuck you and your little dog too" to anyone who would try to make me feel guilty about them. :P_witch:

If you know what you do, for yourself or others, and are satisfied, that should be all that matters. No need to justify to those who want to judge. JMO

Thank you for this, Aloe.

J

Thank you for this, Aloe.

J

Quite welcome dear..

I think neopaganidm is deeply tied with environmentalism. Post modern American witchcraft has much of it's roots in feminism. Those two impulses lend their ethics heavily to most new books about neopaganism and witchcraft. However most traditional witchcraft and sorcery spells are about improving our lots in life. I take a balanced view personally. I do some of both and don't feel guilty about treating myself because it relieves stress and makes me more up to giving of myself to the world the rest of the time.

• Upvote 1

If I want something I will have patience and work to get it. If someone isn't willing to put in the effort to get something they probably don't want it as much as they claim.

On the downside my family get rather irate when it comes to buying me gifts... I've managed to hold off this year at least from gathering my fancy.

Labels do nothing for me, I do not want for things that make me look better in the eyes of others, I want for things I have use and desire for, admittedly I do not intend to go into a career where the suit makes the man, nor do I intend to be regarded as a fashionable being.

Most of my clothes are actually 'old' they've been things I've had since preteen, my newest clothes are about five years old. I'm reaching a time when I need to get new clothes - in no small part in thanks to a boyfriend with an enthusiastic yet ill informed approach to laundry and buttocks that would give Sir Mix-A-Lot an aneurysm. Yet I'm looking at online shops that make clothing to order and fairtrade imports, not out of particular good will in wanting to save the earth or fight the man, simply those are the things I like, can have altered as necessary and are well within my grasp.

One indulgence I'm definitely succumbing to is a particular singer I love has had her dress signed and put up as an exhibit, I remembered how much I liked the dress in the music video and have tracked down the original manufacturer and will be buying that with birthday money - probably the only time I will ever spend £100 on an item of clothing until it comes to planning a wedding!

I'm with Aloe, some of my 'regular' indulgences many will see as weird, but it makes me happy, they're things I've earnt and they're nobody elses business ;)

(May have noticed that I'm looking forward to new clothes though :P)

some of my 'regular' indulgences many will see as weird, but it makes me happy, they're things I've earnt and they're nobody elses business

Most of my passions and indulgences are not mainstream and don't need to be purchased, but I absolutely agree. If Prada makes you happy and you can afford it, I say go for it. No need for guilt. But if you are spending your utility bill money on a pair of shoes to impress the PTO, well that is just pathetic and sad... your money would be better spent on some self esteem.

• Upvote 1

I buy what I want when I want it! What the hell is wrong with that?? I'm not a nun! I took no oath to live in poverty!!

I worked long and hard to be where I am!! My dear husband is still working his ass off for his family!! We don't use credit cards, we live within our means! There is no shame in having what you want!!

I can still have my cake and care for the earth, which we all do in my family!

We are also charitable, we give our time to those in need ( family, close friends, causes that we belive in)

in my opinion there is no shame in liveing an authentic life!

It doesn't make me the devil, hell, I don't even believe in the devil!!!

I live by a saying, " measure yourself by your need, not your greed ". I shop at thrift stores, grow my own veggies, can and blanch, trim my husbands hair, being frugal is not a shameful thing, it's up lifting. When I do indulge it's usually for a fine bottle of 25 year old Scotch, not for myself, but for Himself. It brings him pleasure, myself also, as there is nothing sweeter to see that goofy relaxed grin on his lips after imbibing his 25 year old Scotch, and the soft slurring he makes, as he tells me I'm the best thing that's ever happened to him.

I do have issues with composting, as we live in an area, that wild critters share. Our last endeavor to compost, ended up chained, but disappeared, can and all. Even the owners of the acreage that surrounds our home, could never find it, as they were hunters. The tracks left were bear tracks. I got a wee nervous. But as far as labels, not impressive, it's the person who lives inside the clothes, that impresses me or not.

Regards,

Gypsy

• Upvote 3

I am bumping this thread, because it deals, at least indirectly, with what real Witches are like. I believe we have established in many threads that Witches are a many splendored group; yet people seem to be fascinated with confirming that they have some combination of traits that proves they are a Witch.

Not all Witches are tolerant, environmentally-safe, animal-loving paupers. Some, but certainly not all. Some Witches are creative. Some, like me, cannot draw a straight line to save their life. Some are outgoing. Some are more reserved. You get the point.

Anyway, speaking to the thread, I live a very comfortable life in large part to a college education and a whole lot of magic; lots of get-my-way and get-out-of-my-way magic. I have a line that I will not cross, of course, which is likely different from many other's ethics line. I care more about people than things. The fact that I love my things, just shows how much I must really care about my people. :)

This thread has popped up in several unrelated searches for me lately so I guess I'll bump it. lol

I find the whole "should a witch eschew modern indulgences and dedicate their excess to charitable causes" question to be a leftover from guilt inducing religions. Rabid materialism can be damaging, especially if its indulged at the expense of your family's livelihood, but its not an indicator of whether or not a person is a witch. Its cool if someone's personal ethics require them to give away their excess to less fortunate people and rescue animals and not indulge their materialistic desires, but again, it has nothing to do with whether or not they're a witch.

Well I'll go along most definitely with Aloe on that.I do what I what,cos I want to,absofuckinglootly.well said old girl!!

Good topic! I really think it depends on the person. No one has the right to tell someone else what they can and cannot do, especially when it's hard earned money and we feel like a treat.

Personally, I do like new things. I like new clothes, books, make up, etc. However I do sometimes limit myself, especially if I stop and think "do I really need this?". Most of the time I don't. lol I try to do my bit for the environment, but sometimes a treat is nice!

The planet is an absolutely beautiful place. There's scenery that can reduce people to tears & take their breath away. There's the songs of the birds, the colours in sunsets, the fragrances of plants. I don't understand how depriving myself of beautiful things brings me closer to the earth. It's a complete contradiction. I'm thinking particularly of the reformation protestants who only wore black & white and other extreme groups.

For me it's nothing to do with the cost though. I love getting a good bargain but I will spend money on, say, an item of clothing that is unique and beautifully made. However, people who buy things JUST because of the label come across to me as a bit shallow. If you've bought it because you genuinely like it then fine. It reminds me of that scene in Absolutely Fabulous -

Eddie, what on earth are you wearing!

It's Lacroix!

Oh, it's fabulous.

I do think that if I'm quite happily spending money on myself, and pop on Amazon and buy a book whenever I like, I think that I can set up a few £10 a month direct debits to charities. I feel like it's some karmic debt or something or just plain guilt. I've been lucky enough to end up with a guy with a well payed job. I suppose I view it some kind of thank you back to the universe.

I feel also that I lead a very comfortable life,we live in a very large house that we built.We have several businesses, own a few properties. Did I uses magic for this? Well no because I didn't have to.If they were failing then of course. As I have said before im charmed in as much that i have foresite and a partner that puts my ideas into action and that work. Do I use magic , of course to protect my home my family to keep money coming in the home etc. Maybe I have it all back to front, but it works for me.

My children are all doing well,good jobs, good money.There's magic in there but more then that there's hard work, morals,being as good a mum as I can be,open honest and strong, no bollocks.

Im charmed that I don't look my age, still love my high heels and can still pull it off.The day will come when i can't till then, yep I like nice things I'll keep srutting out in my heels, and purring to the bank manager as i flick my long blonde hair over my shoulders. Why? Ohhh just because I can.

• Upvote 1

I feel also that I lead a very comfortable life,we live in a very large house that we built.We have several businesses, own a few properties. Did I uses magic for this? Well no because I didn't have to.If they were failing then of course. As I have said before im charmed in as much that i have foresite and a partner that puts my ideas into action and that work. Do I use magic , of course to protect my home my family to keep money coming in the home etc. Maybe I have it all back to front, but it works for me.

. . . Why? Ohhh just because I can.

I am much the same, aurora, in terms of living a very 'charmed' life. I mean, life isn't 100% perfect and all-wonderful every minute, but if I want or need something I generally get it. Not like everything is handed to me on a big Witchy platter or anything. Like you said, there is a little bit of good ol' fashioned hard work involved. Even during troubled times, I can always count on my Magic to pull me through, in one way or another. Being able to count on that brings a level of security and confidence that I try not to take for granted.

I don't buy into other people's guilt trips. I have what I have because I do and it's really nobody's business. I can look just as good in a second or third hand Calvin Klein as I can in a new one or anything else. I think one can look great in a goodwill outfit. It all comes from inside. I'm grateful I no longer have to spend money on career appropriate work clothes, which can be jeans for a waitress or an expensive suit for a Fortune 500 big wig. It's all relative. I favor my bare feet or chewed up tennies to my heels from that past Fortune 500 company .

We just moved into a new (to us) house 6 months ago. It suits our needs. I actually really like it. It's peaceful here and very private, inside and in the big backyard. So it comes time to meet the neighbors, finally spring and we're trying to unpack and rearrange some boxes from the garage that couldn't be done in the rain. We're out in the driveway and the neighbors come out and over, one by one for what I think is a regular meet and greet hidey ho. The first set is shopping in my open garage door, asking if we're keeping certain antiques. Really? One wants to use my garage cause his is full and, oh, can I park my 24foot trailer in your back yard?The next set comes and mentions rather snottily that it must be nice to have a nice newer car and two others and be able to buy the "big house" when neither of us works. They surmised this by watching our comings and goings. Now I'm really thrown. Finally the last one to comes by, brings his girl and their kid to keep me busy and proceeds to aggressively pitch my husband on re-doing my bathroom floor! He even went so far as to run into my house to give an eyeball bid on it when we weren't looking and then ask for a cash deposit for work we don't want. Apparently we appear to be fat cats in our small cul-de-sac.

Nobody has any idea who I really am! Who cares if I work or have some nice things? Truth is, I worked really hard and supported 6 people by myself for 5 years while my husband was laid off, like so many of us are in Oregon. I left that huge job to sling drinks in a bar because it made me happier to do it, even though I had to work twice as hard to do it. And I got hurt. Now I can't work. And all of that fancy stuff came from my husband's grandmother dying of liver cancer, then his mother dying of a heroin overdose. The car was given to me by my MIL when she went to jail for felony DUII and possession before her death. The house was the cheapest on the market as a foreclosure for years. It cost less than the neighbors houses did and was purchased for us at the sale of his grandma's house. His mom had lived with his grandma for over 20 years, trying to never grow up. We live on the 66.66% of my regular wages that workman comp affords me in my state and not a cent more.

Does any of this change who I am? That, opposite of Tanya (as an example from your earlier post, as I don't know you), I appear to have money but really don't? I'd really much rather have my family back, as screwed up as they were!

Guilt was designed to make the masses conform to what a few wanted them to as a means of control. At the end of the day the only person I have to please is me. I'm my own judge and I'm my own moral compass. I can't spend my life worrying about what people think of me and I appologize for none of it.

I'm not trying to be an asshole or sound indignant or angry (unless you're my neighbor lol). With stuff, without? Who cares if you're really ok with it.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Apryl

I do not, personally, view the price of something as being a virtue of an item in and of itself. I will not buy something due to the fact that it's exorbitantly expensive, or equally because it is cheap. I buy things that are of the best quality that I can afford, that I will hopefully owning enjoy for a long time, and try to be honest with myself as to whether something I'm considering purchasing will hold up to the punishment my possessions(not intentionally) must endure.

Realistically, retailers will mark things up to any point they think they can make people pay. Paying a fortune for something simply because it is fashionable or has a certain reputation seems silly to me. Nor am I going to buy something just because it's marked down. If you buy something cheap and never make use of it, you've hardly saved any money, have you?

That said, I do own a couple Prada pieces, and why not? Those items are cut exquisitely, fit like a second skin, and look amazing on me. The design is top notch, more traditional(with an edge) than trendy. What I have are superbly designed and put together garments. I also have a couple pair of those $500 boots and shoes someone was talking about, and they happen to be the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. Of course, I got those $500 Bottega Veneta shoes for $125, and that $600 pair of Mark Nason boots for $100. Just because you like nice things, it does't mean you have to pay full price!

As for people who judge, it makes me wonder what their deal is; jealousy, greed, maybe they want to borrow money from me? Who knows! jackoff.gif

As for people who judge, it makes me wonder what their deal is; jealousy, greed, maybe they want to borrow money from me? Who knows! jackoff.gif

Most of the judging that I have experienced comes from people in the Witchy community, who dislike the fact that I use magic for monetary gain. It is not so much that they have an ethical problem with money spells, but they have a problem with the fact that mine tend to work. Jealousy? Yeah. :kat:

Most of the judging that I have experienced comes from people in the Witchy community, who dislike the fact that I use magic for monetary gain. It is not so much that they have an ethical problem with money spells, but they have a problem with the fact that mine tend to work. Jealousy? Yeah. :kat:

Yeah, jealousy I think. Money spells work fine for me too, usually in the amount I've asked for. Not sure why it wouldn't work like that for other people as well.....dunnno teehee.gif

Sign in to follow this