52 replies to this topic

#41 Wych Elm

Wych Elm

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

The planet is an absolutely beautiful place. There's scenery that can reduce people to tears & take their breath away. There's the songs of the birds, the colours in sunsets, the fragrances of plants. I don't understand how depriving myself of beautiful things brings me closer to the earth. It's a complete contradiction. I'm thinking particularly of the reformation protestants who only wore black & white and other extreme groups.
For me it's nothing to do with the cost though. I love getting a good bargain but I will spend money on, say, an item of clothing that is unique and beautifully made. However, people who buy things JUST because of the label come across to me as a bit shallow. If you've bought it because you genuinely like it then fine. It reminds me of that scene in Absolutely Fabulous -

Eddie, what on earth are you wearing!
It's Lacroix!
Oh, it's fabulous.

I do think that if I'm quite happily spending money on myself, and pop on Amazon and buy a book whenever I like, I think that I can set up a few £10 a month direct debits to charities. I feel like it's some karmic debt or something or just plain guilt. I've been lucky enough to end up with a guy with a well payed job. I suppose I view it some kind of thank you back to the universe.

Dance me through to the stillness, to the point where the motion begins. Dance me through to the silence, to the edge where the world begins. - Kathryn Price NicDhana

#42 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

I feel also that I lead a very comfortable life,we live in a very large house that we built.We have several businesses, own a few properties. Did I uses magic for this? Well no because I didn't have to.If they were failing then of course. As I have said before im charmed in as much that i have foresite and a partner that puts my ideas into action and that work. Do I use magic , of course to protect my home my family to keep money coming in the home etc. Maybe I have it all back to front, but it works for me.
My children are all doing well,good jobs, good money.There's magic in there but more then that there's hard work, morals,being as good a mum as I can be,open honest and strong, no bollocks.
Im charmed that I don't look my age, still love my high heels and can still pull it off.The day will come when i can't till then, yep I like nice things I'll keep srutting out in my heels, and purring to the bank manager as i flick my long blonde hair over my shoulders. Why? Ohhh just because I can.

#43 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:36 PM

I feel also that I lead a very comfortable life,we live in a very large house that we built.We have several businesses, own a few properties. Did I uses magic for this? Well no because I didn't have to.If they were failing then of course. As I have said before im charmed in as much that i have foresite and a partner that puts my ideas into action and that work. Do I use magic , of course to protect my home my family to keep money coming in the home etc. Maybe I have it all back to front, but it works for me.
. . . Why? Ohhh just because I can.

I am much the same, aurora, in terms of living a very 'charmed' life. I mean, life isn't 100% perfect and all-wonderful every minute, but if I want or need something I generally get it. Not like everything is handed to me on a big Witchy platter or anything. Like you said, there is a little bit of good ol' fashioned hard work involved. Even during troubled times, I can always count on my Magic to pull me through, in one way or another. Being able to count on that brings a level of security and confidence that I try not to take for granted.

#44 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

Yep,you are absolutely spot on.

#45 Apryl

Apryl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:23 AM

I don't buy into other people's guilt trips. I have what I have because I do and it's really nobody's business. I can look just as good in a second or third hand Calvin Klein as I can in a new one or anything else. I think one can look great in a goodwill outfit. It all comes from inside. I'm grateful I no longer have to spend money on career appropriate work clothes, which can be jeans for a waitress or an expensive suit for a Fortune 500 big wig. It's all relative. I favor my bare feet or chewed up tennies to my heels from that past Fortune 500 company .
We just moved into a new (to us) house 6 months ago. It suits our needs. I actually really like it. It's peaceful here and very private, inside and in the big backyard. So it comes time to meet the neighbors, finally spring and we're trying to unpack and rearrange some boxes from the garage that couldn't be done in the rain. We're out in the driveway and the neighbors come out and over, one by one for what I think is a regular meet and greet hidey ho. The first set is shopping in my open garage door, asking if we're keeping certain antiques. Really? One wants to use my garage cause his is full and, oh, can I park my 24foot trailer in your back yard?The next set comes and mentions rather snottily that it must be nice to have a nice newer car and two others and be able to buy the "big house" when neither of us works. They surmised this by watching our comings and goings. Now I'm really thrown. Finally the last one to comes by, brings his girl and their kid to keep me busy and proceeds to aggressively pitch my husband on re-doing my bathroom floor! He even went so far as to run into my house to give an eyeball bid on it when we weren't looking and then ask for a cash deposit for work we don't want. Apparently we appear to be fat cats in our small cul-de-sac.
Nobody has any idea who I really am! Who cares if I work or have some nice things? Truth is, I worked really hard and supported 6 people by myself for 5 years while my husband was laid off, like so many of us are in Oregon. I left that huge job to sling drinks in a bar because it made me happier to do it, even though I had to work twice as hard to do it. And I got hurt. Now I can't work. And all of that fancy stuff came from my husband's grandmother dying of liver cancer, then his mother dying of a heroin overdose. The car was given to me by my MIL when she went to jail for felony DUII and possession before her death. The house was the cheapest on the market as a foreclosure for years. It cost less than the neighbors houses did and was purchased for us at the sale of his grandma's house. His mom had lived with his grandma for over 20 years, trying to never grow up. We live on the 66.66% of my regular wages that workman comp affords me in my state and not a cent more.
Does any of this change who I am? That, opposite of Tanya (as an example from your earlier post, as I don't know you), I appear to have money but really don't? I'd really much rather have my family back, as screwed up as they were!
Guilt was designed to make the masses conform to what a few wanted them to as a means of control. At the end of the day the only person I have to please is me. I'm my own judge and I'm my own moral compass. I can't spend my life worrying about what people think of me and I appologize for none of it.
I'm not trying to be an asshole or sound indignant or angry (unless you're my neighbor lol). With stuff, without? Who cares if you're really ok with it.
Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Apryl, 30 July 2012 - 07:53 AM.

#46 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

I do not, personally, view the price of something as being a virtue of an item in and of itself. I will not buy something due to the fact that it's exorbitantly expensive, or equally because it is cheap. I buy things that are of the best quality that I can afford, that I will hopefully owning enjoy for a long time, and try to be honest with myself as to whether something I'm considering purchasing will hold up to the punishment my possessions(not intentionally) must endure.

Realistically, retailers will mark things up to any point they think they can make people pay. Paying a fortune for something simply because it is fashionable or has a certain reputation seems silly to me. Nor am I going to buy something just because it's marked down. If you buy something cheap and never make use of it, you've hardly saved any money, have you?

That said, I do own a couple Prada pieces, and why not? Those items are cut exquisitely, fit like a second skin, and look amazing on me. The design is top notch, more traditional(with an edge) than trendy. What I have are superbly designed and put together garments. I also have a couple pair of those $500 boots and shoes someone was talking about, and they happen to be the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. Of course, I got those $500 Bottega Veneta shoes for $125, and that $600 pair of Mark Nason boots for $100. Just because you like nice things, it does't mean you have to pay full price!

As for people who judge, it makes me wonder what their deal is; jealousy, greed, maybe they want to borrow money from me? Who knows! Posted Image

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#47 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:50 PM

Lol

#48 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:10 PM

As for people who judge, it makes me wonder what their deal is; jealousy, greed, maybe they want to borrow money from me? Who knows! Posted Image

Most of the judging that I have experienced comes from people in the Witchy community, who dislike the fact that I use magic for monetary gain. It is not so much that they have an ethical problem with money spells, but they have a problem with the fact that mine tend to work. Jealousy? Yeah. :kat:

#49 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

:eheheh:

#50 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

Most of the judging that I have experienced comes from people in the Witchy community, who dislike the fact that I use magic for monetary gain. It is not so much that they have an ethical problem with money spells, but they have a problem with the fact that mine tend to work. Jealousy? Yeah. :kat:

Yeah, jealousy I think. Money spells work fine for me too, usually in the amount I've asked for. Not sure why it wouldn't work like that for other people as well.....dunnno Posted Image

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#51 Guest_Morgana Raven_*

Guest_Morgana Raven_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:10 AM

1343689831[/url]' post='129364']

Posted Image

#52 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:31 PM

LOL I own a Prada wallet, but it's probably a fake as the people who gave it to me bought it on a vacation. :wink: 

It has become like a sport to me to find expensive clothes, furniture, Persian rugs, antiques, etc. for ridiculously low prices in thrift shops and in flea markets and such. It just takes a keen eye to seperate the great stuff from the junk. I don't have any problem with buying new goods at all, I just like to hunt for treasures.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#53 Nabu

Nabu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:59 PM

I've read through all the posts with the idea what most thought about the devil , heck he didn't get much if any mention !!! Great !!!!! But what I did read and see that the most treasurous  ( is there such a word ) possession is happiness and what and how one obtains it seems to be the most important aspect . Whether it comes from humble beginnings , self acquired ,conjured or else ( the term of " By Hook or Crook " comes to mind ) . The form of happiness does vary slightly from one to another, but that is what the world is made of , and not everybody is the same , also what we are willing to accept from others as to how they view us and our material possessions . Childhood impressed upon me the ideas and thoughts that others had of me ( and my family ) that money was the most worshiped and guiding judge as to a persons " worth " , funny thing is this mostly came from the churches that my parents insisted that I attend with them .As I expressed to a friend of mine some time ago , I don't come to your house to see how you live , what you may have , I come there to see you , talk , laugh , share life not strife . There is always a lot of sadness in the world, just got to get through it , chin up and plow forward.

As one expressed earlier - you and your little dog , I always said - you and the horse you road in on !!! :fucku:

Nabu

Strong of Heart wins the Day , let not yourself be dismayed !