52 replies to this topic

#21 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:19 AM

well, my Granny told me, "People are what's important, not things." so... if 'things' are kept in the proper prospective, they aren't a problem.

I do believe that we are all part fo the divine and that treating ourselves kindly is honoring that.. but obviously that can not be so if it takes away from someone else...

so I guess having things isn't 'bad' acting badly to GET them IS.

To another point on the thread about rich Pagans... well... I guess I'm one of the few that is both... and I was having a laugh today comming from my daughter's school athletics day... of all the Mom's I'm probably one that is 'worth' the most, yet there i sat in a pair of sandals that broke a month ago but that I cut off the broken bits and recobbled so they still look OK and don't fall off my feet in a shirt I bought a goodwill, sun glasses from the gas station wearing jewlery my husband made me.

While all the other mothers had brought store bought cakes and sodas for a picnic, we had grapes, homemade apple cake and home brewed iced tea in a thermos before I hopped into my 15 year old scratched up greenie-bumper stickered Mazda, nosing out around the polished Bmers and went off to work...

I found myself wondering if I was rich BECAUSE i don't really want anything more than my needs met.. (or maybe i'm just excentric)

I also heard a few days ago, a new collegue complemented me on a scarf I was wearing (silk hand painted with oak leaves, as that is what my last name means....it was a gift) and another collegue said "Ohh that Tanya she has tons of beautiful clothes...." I didn't have the heart to tell her the only new piece of clothing I've bought besides undies in the last decade was my wedding dress... the rest I got from goodwill, yard sales, found along hiking trails or picked up at the town dump...lmao

Mmmm . . . I might like you. I'll take some time to know for sure (no offense), but I like the light-hearted conversational tone of your posts and your normalcy. I don't care much for people who try too hard. You sound very pleasant.

Jevne

#22 Oceana

Oceana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:08 AM

Is it a problem to want Louis Vuiton or Prada or YSL?

It's only a problem if it's a problem to you. You do not have to care about other people's opinions on whether it's ok for you to want expensive brands.

My view on things—and I emphasize this is how I live my life but do not expect everyone else to have the same standards—is that a little bit of luxury is OK. But, to me that luxury is a bath product that smells divine and costs a little more only because it was 100% handmade and 100% not tested on animals. To me that luxury is a box of "expensive" chocolates, expensive being like £10! I would not enjoy a product that cost loads, to be precise I could not enjoy it, because it cost loads. I would not be able to stop myself thinking "Right, I have a purse that cost 200. This purse looks nice and holds my stuff in it. I could have got a purse that looks equally nice and holds my stuff in it and would have cost 20, and that 180 I could have given to rescue animals or for feeding a dozen of starving children."

I admit, sometimes it's hard for me not to raise an eyebrow at people who want/need ridiculously expensive fashion items. But whenever I feel that little pinch of judgement creeping in, I remind myself it's none of my beeswax how other people spend their own hard earned money. Can't expect others to have all the same values as me, no matter how shiny I might think they are. ;)

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes
but in having new eyes.
– Marcel Proust

#23 Tanya

Tanya

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:15 AM

I admit, sometimes it's hard for me not to raise an eyebrow at people who want/need ridiculously expensive fashion items. But whenever I feel that little pinch of judgement creeping in, I remind myself it's none of my beeswax how other people spend their own hard earned money. Can't expect others to have all the same values as me, no matter how shiny I might think they are. ;)

you are right... still when i see a man wearing really expensive shoes.. i'm thinking... that dude needs a more interesting way to waste his money....

I mean come on... expensive shoes on a guy???!!!! but... come on....what about the good old fun stand bys... sex, drugs and rock and roll????

#24 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:39 PM

I think if someone has the brains, brawn, or balls to make a lot of money then they have the right to spend it how they wish. What they do isn't any concern of mine. If they want expensive clothes or a really cool house that's fine and really doesn't affect me unless I'm living with them. No one owes me anything and no one should give me money simply becuase they have it... would I love to have the winning lottery numbers and neer have to work again and spend all my time immerced in nothing but my pursuit of the esoteric? yeah, sure. Is it likely to happen? Not in this lifetime, and to be honest I don't even know that it would be the best thing for me. I have to assume I was born in the Western world for a reason. To want is not bad, to get is not bad, to have is not bad. To have the want rule one's life is probably bad...

M

#25 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:26 PM

I also heard a few days ago, a new collegue complemented me on a scarf I was wearing (silk hand painted with oak leaves, as that is what my last name means....it was a gift) and another collegue said "Ohh that Tanya she has tons of beautiful clothes...." I didn't have the heart to tell her the only new piece of clothing I've bought besides undies in the last decade was my wedding dress... the rest I got from goodwill, yard sales, found along hiking trails or picked up at the town dump...lmao

I've had this happen too. Now I do occasionally buy things completely new, I look for the best deal possible. I have a two closets full of beautiful clothes and they are either hand made or cost under $10. I also tend to refab anything that tears up. No need to waste good materials.

#26 Tanya

Tanya

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:48 PM

I've had this happen too. Now I do occasionally buy things completely new, I look for the best deal possible. I have a two closets full of beautiful clothes and they are either hand made or cost under $10. I also tend to refab anything that tears up. No need to waste good materials.

ohhh now I'm jeleous... I haven't much skill at all in useful sewing beyond mending tears, and hemming...!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

#27 o_O

o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:05 PM

ohhh now I'm jeleous... I haven't much skill at all in useful sewing beyond mending tears, and hemming...!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Even with that little bit of skill you can do some great work. You just have to be creative^_^ I've redone shirts with nothing but a pair of scissors and some imagination.

#28 Tanya

Tanya

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:42 PM

Even with that little bit of skill you can do some great work. You just have to be creative^_^ I've redone shirts with nothing but a pair of scissors and some imagination.

LOL I have the scissors.. i think its the imagination I'm lacking

:P

#29 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:49 AM

This thread has popped up in several unrelated searches for me lately so I guess I'll bump it. lol

I find the whole "should a witch eschew modern indulgences and dedicate their excess to charitable causes" question to be a leftover from guilt inducing religions. Rabid materialism can be damaging, especially if its indulged at the expense of your family's livelihood, but its not an indicator of whether or not a person is a witch. Its cool if someone's personal ethics require them to give away their excess to less fortunate people and rescue animals and not indulge their materialistic desires, but again, it has nothing to do with whether or not they're a witch.

Some of my indulgences are pretty ridiculous but I say "fuck you and your little dog too" to anyone who would try to make me feel guilty about them. :P_witch:

If you know what you do, for yourself or others, and are satisfied, that should be all that matters. No need to justify to those who want to judge. JMO

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#30 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:37 AM

Some of my indulgences are pretty ridiculous but I say "fuck you and your little dog too" to anyone who would try to make me feel guilty about them. :P_witch:

If you know what you do, for yourself or others, and are satisfied, that should be all that matters. No need to justify to those who want to judge. JMO

Thank you for this, Aloe.

J

#31 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:18 AM

Thank you for this, Aloe.

J

Quite welcome dear..

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#32 sarasuperid

sarasuperid

Wild Witch of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:26 AM

I think neopaganidm is deeply tied with environmentalism. Post modern American witchcraft has much of it's roots in feminism. Those two impulses lend their ethics heavily to most new books about neopaganism and witchcraft. However most traditional witchcraft and sorcery spells are about improving our lots in life. I take a balanced view personally. I do some of both and don't feel guilty about treating myself because it relieves stress and makes me more up to giving of myself to the world the rest of the time.
"A Craft, a calling, a set of Keys to unlock a particular cosmology that is borne, and born, in the blood of the practitioner, and sets the Work to be done with which one may commune with those who hold the patterns and keys of the life of the practitioner and hir stream. The Work is to be done, and we are to do it." --Aiseling the Bard

#33 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:48 AM

If I want something I will have patience and work to get it. If someone isn't willing to put in the effort to get something they probably don't want it as much as they claim.

On the downside my family get rather irate when it comes to buying me gifts... I've managed to hold off this year at least from gathering my fancy.

Labels do nothing for me, I do not want for things that make me look better in the eyes of others, I want for things I have use and desire for, admittedly I do not intend to go into a career where the suit makes the man, nor do I intend to be regarded as a fashionable being.

Most of my clothes are actually 'old' they've been things I've had since preteen, my newest clothes are about five years old. I'm reaching a time when I need to get new clothes - in no small part in thanks to a boyfriend with an enthusiastic yet ill informed approach to laundry and buttocks that would give Sir Mix-A-Lot an aneurysm. Yet I'm looking at online shops that make clothing to order and fairtrade imports, not out of particular good will in wanting to save the earth or fight the man, simply those are the things I like, can have altered as necessary and are well within my grasp.

One indulgence I'm definitely succumbing to is a particular singer I love has had her dress signed and put up as an exhibit, I remembered how much I liked the dress in the music video and have tracked down the original manufacturer and will be buying that with birthday money - probably the only time I will ever spend £100 on an item of clothing until it comes to planning a wedding!

I'm with Aloe, some of my 'regular' indulgences many will see as weird, but it makes me happy, they're things I've earnt and they're nobody elses business ;)

(May have noticed that I'm looking forward to new clothes though :P)

#34 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:06 PM

some of my 'regular' indulgences many will see as weird, but it makes me happy, they're things I've earnt and they're nobody elses business

Most of my passions and indulgences are not mainstream and don't need to be purchased, but I absolutely agree. If Prada makes you happy and you can afford it, I say go for it. No need for guilt. But if you are spending your utility bill money on a pair of shoes to impress the PTO, well that is just pathetic and sad... your money would be better spent on some self esteem.

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#35 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:40 PM

I buy what I want when I want it! What the hell is wrong with that?? I'm not a nun! I took no oath to live in poverty!!

I worked long and hard to be where I am!! My dear husband is still working his ass off for his family!! We don't use credit cards, we live within our means! There is no shame in having what you want!!

I can still have my cake and care for the earth, which we all do in my family!
We are also charitable, we give our time to those in need ( family, close friends, causes that we belive in)

in my opinion there is no shame in liveing an authentic life!
It doesn't make me the devil, hell, I don't even believe in the devil!!!

Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#36 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:58 PM

I live by a saying, " measure yourself by your need, not your greed ". I shop at thrift stores, grow my own veggies, can and blanch, trim my husbands hair, being frugal is not a shameful thing, it's up lifting. When I do indulge it's usually for a fine bottle of 25 year old Scotch, not for myself, but for Himself. It brings him pleasure, myself also, as there is nothing sweeter to see that goofy relaxed grin on his lips after imbibing his 25 year old Scotch, and the soft slurring he makes, as he tells me I'm the best thing that's ever happened to him.

I do have issues with composting, as we live in an area, that wild critters share. Our last endeavor to compost, ended up chained, but disappeared, can and all. Even the owners of the acreage that surrounds our home, could never find it, as they were hunters. The tracks left were bear tracks. I got a wee nervous. But as far as labels, not impressive, it's the person who lives inside the clothes, that impresses me or not.

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#37 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

I am bumping this thread, because it deals, at least indirectly, with what real Witches are like. I believe we have established in many threads that Witches are a many splendored group; yet people seem to be fascinated with confirming that they have some combination of traits that proves they are a Witch.

Not all Witches are tolerant, environmentally-safe, animal-loving paupers. Some, but certainly not all. Some Witches are creative. Some, like me, cannot draw a straight line to save their life. Some are outgoing. Some are more reserved. You get the point.

Anyway, speaking to the thread, I live a very comfortable life in large part to a college education and a whole lot of magic; lots of get-my-way and get-out-of-my-way magic. I have a line that I will not cross, of course, which is likely different from many other's ethics line. I care more about people than things. The fact that I love my things, just shows how much I must really care about my people. :)

#38 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

This thread has popped up in several unrelated searches for me lately so I guess I'll bump it. lol

I find the whole "should a witch eschew modern indulgences and dedicate their excess to charitable causes" question to be a leftover from guilt inducing religions. Rabid materialism can be damaging, especially if its indulged at the expense of your family's livelihood, but its not an indicator of whether or not a person is a witch. Its cool if someone's personal ethics require them to give away their excess to less fortunate people and rescue animals and not indulge their materialistic desires, but again, it has nothing to do with whether or not they're a witch.

#39 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

Well I'll go along most definitely with Aloe on that.I do what I what,cos I want to,absofuckinglootly.well said old girl!!

#40 Brambles

Brambles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

Good topic! I really think it depends on the person. No one has the right to tell someone else what they can and cannot do, especially when it's hard earned money and we feel like a treat.
Personally, I do like new things. I like new clothes, books, make up, etc. However I do sometimes limit myself, especially if I stop and think "do I really need this?". Most of the time I don't. lol I try to do my bit for the environment, but sometimes a treat is nice!

“Pay heed to the tales of old wives.
It may well be that they alone keep in memory
what it was once needful for the wise to know.”
~ J.R.R. Tolkien.