Pomegranate Cordial

Guest Grimr

Pomegranate Cordial:

Around this time of year I love me some Cordial, usually Cherry, however given the symbolism of the Pomegranate I thought it would be aptly appropriate.

2 Large Pomegranates (about 3 cups seeds)

4 Cups 80 Proof Brandy

1 1/8 Cups (I used 2 1/8) white granulated Sugar

Remove the pomegranate seeds from the shell and white membrane (harder then it sounds!) and place them in a large bowl. Macerate to release the juices and place into a large airtight container. Add the sugar and stir to create a syrupy consistency. Pour in 4 cups of brandy, seal and SHAKE!!

After 7 days strain the pulpy residue from the mixture, run the remaining liquid through a cone coffee filter to remove any excess sediment. Bottle and Enjoy!

P.S. Using 1 1/8 cups was a delicious not-to-sweet mixture, however since I like my cordials to be on the sweet side I added an additional cup which made it perfect!!

Okay - dumb question, lol, but what part of the pom does one actually eat - the seeds or the "flesh"?

M

Pomegranate Cordial:

Around this time of year I love me some Cordial, usually Cherry, however given the symbolism of the Pomegranate I thought it would be aptly appropriate.

4 Cups 80 Proof Brandy

Remove the pomegranate seeds from the shell and white membrane (harder then it sounds!) and place them in a large bowl. Macerate to release the juices and place into a large airtight container. Add the sugar and stir to create a syrupy consistency. Pour in 4 cups of brandy, seal and SHAKE!!

After 7 days strain the pulpy residue from the mixture, run the remaining liquid through a cone coffee filter to remove any excess sediment. Bottle and Enjoy!

P.S. Using 1 1/8 cups was a delicious not-to-sweet mixture, however since I like my cordials to be on the sweet side I added an additional cup which made it perfect!!

Okay - dumb question, lol, but what part of the pom does one actually eat - the seeds or the "flesh"?

basically its all seeds with a little flesh around it, when you cut one open its full if little jewel like seeds the you either eat with a pin or turn upside down and give the pom a good whack so the seeds all come out.

Grenadine is made from pomegrantes.

• 1 year later...
Guest MissTree

Pomegranate Cordial:

4 Cups 80 Proof Brandy

What a scrumptious recipe! Thanks for posting it. :-)

Guest Magdalena

Ahhh I love pomegranate, it has many health benefits also. It has more antioxidants than green tea and also has anti aging qualities. ;)

Guest Magdalena

Probably due to their myriad pain-in-the-ass-to-get-out seeds.

I buy the loose ones in the pack, how lazy am I, so much more satisfying than the pin method though. Lol

Yum! Does it retain most of the alcohol, or does alot evaporate? Do you mix it with something or just sip it like it is? Thanks for sharing.

As long as you keep the jar/bottle where the stuff is steeping together tightly closed, there won't be any evaporation.

Cordials are always sipped by themselves, generally either as an aperitif or after-dinner drink. True cordial glasses hold only one ounce but I've been known to have quite a bit more at one sitting!

One of the leftover horrors of a classical education is that I'm afraid of pomegranates. I always think it only takes six juicy seeds and I'll be dragged down to the underworld for half the year. And my mum wouldn't bother to come and rescue me. How about I just have the brandy? :cheers: