#1 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:47 PM

LOVE THIS PLACE!

Geared towards Traditional and Hedgewitches this place located in England makes beautiful wands (Staffs and Stangs) out of traditional woods (Blackthorn, Yew, Rowan, Etc.) in a traditional manner. They also sell handcrafted oils and infusions of many plants of use for both balm and bane.

One of the only places I know who sells Blackthorn Spikes. Chack them out!

http://www.freewebs.com/thebriarrose/belovedblackthorn.htm

"Nothing is truly forgotten about the Arte, for within it's own domain - The Circle - the spirits will speak to those with ears to hear." - Andrew D. Chumbley

"And thus the Flesh of Clay was flayed, and from Earth's greenery, a New Flesh made!"

#2 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:08 PM

This is a very nice site, Grimr. Thank you for posting it. I will definitely rove around the site some more as they seem to have some very nice things. Perhaps if I can find an address I'll see if an English friend wants to pop over (if it's in the vicinity) and check it out...

M

Edited by Michele, 28 June 2014 - 02:09 PM.

#3 Pye

Pye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:23 PM

I'm bumping this up as this site is close to my heart.

Not only do they make some wonderful traditional craft items, and inspire you to make your own- but the blog makes wonderful, challenging, and delightful reading to my mind.
Refreshing, and unique in online shops.

'The apple cannot be stuck back on the Tree of Knowledge; once we begin to see, we are doomed and challenged to seek the strength to see more, not less.'
Arthur Miller

#4 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:20 PM

I'm bumping this up as this site is close to my heart.

Not only do they make some wonderful traditional craft items, and inspire you to make your own- but the blog makes wonderful, challenging, and delightful reading to my mind.
Refreshing, and unique in online shops.

YIKES, that site just crashed my computer......weird.

Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#5 Pye

Pye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:25 PM

Oouch! Hope it works for you in the end Brigid.

And I did forget to post a warning about the music to the site (one of my pet hates). You may love it-or hate it.

'The apple cannot be stuck back on the Tree of Knowledge; once we begin to see, we are doomed and challenged to seek the strength to see more, not less.'
Arthur Miller

#6 Brigid

Brigid

Beyond The Bullshit...........yeah, even yours.......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

Oouch! Hope it works for you in the end Brigid.

And I did forget to post a warning about the music to the site (one of my pet hates). You may love it-or hate it.

LOL I also HATE that :)

Ritualistic behaviour, though well-intentioned, possesses no significance or effectiveness unless its external prescription is matched by a personal, internal motivation of will and desire.

#7 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:39 PM

I don't have speakers so I cant say anything about the music, but I've bought several things from this fellow and I am sure I will buy more in the future. His work is both quality and magical, and I also greatly enjoy his blog. One of the few (perhaps only) true traditional sites I have come across. He follows a specific path so the things made are to his tradition and his knowledge of wood and plant charming is amazing. And I must say I totally agree that anything bought involving plant material must contain the essence or spirit of the plant or it's pretty much useless. I have found that his items do, very much, maintain that connection.

M

#8 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:37 PM

I've looked at some of their blog posts before, cool site.

Does anyone know why they have braided loops attached to their wands thought a hole in the end? I didn't see an explanation anywhere but may have missed it. I've never bought a wand, is this normal?

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#9 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:46 PM

I've looked at some of their blog posts before, cool site.

Does anyone know why they have braided loops attached to their wands thought a hole in the end? I didn't see an explanation anywhere but may have missed it. I've never bought a wand, is this normal?

Normal varies within each path. It is normal in their way. They make their wands according to their own tradition. The braids are specific ,  not just carrying cords. 

M

Edited by Michele, 07 September 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#10 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:55 PM

Normal varies within each path. It is normal in their way. They make their wands according to their own tradition. The braids are specific charms for specific connection to the energies associated with the specific wood of the wand, not just carrying cords. Each wand is made to contain part of the spirit of the plant, differing according to species, specific tree, and part of tree (branch or root). So the cord charm (and it is a cord - think of the lore of witches' cords and cord work) is part of the charm of the wand and calls upon associations and essences of the colours and any stones, etc., that may be in the charm and also upon the numbers of the threads used in the cord.

M

I figured that it was a charm with specific intent, but it seems like an odd combination to me, so I wondered if this is common in general wand lore or specific to them..

Now that I'm thinking about it though, when I made my wand (which I no longer have) I wrapped horse hair from the mane of the last horse that threw me off around the end for control (the horse threw me, I caught it and got back on, threw me again, caught it again and got back on again, and this went on till the horse gave up and let me ride it). This is a type of cord, but not the same..

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#11 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:04 AM

I figured that it was a charm with specific intent, but it seems like an odd combination to me, so I wondered if this is common in general wand lore or specific to them..

Now that I'm thinking about it though, when I made my wand (which I no longer have) I wrapped horse hair from the mane of the last horse that threw me off around the end for control (the horse threw me, I caught it and got back on, threw me again, caught it again and got back on again, and this went on till the horse gave up and let me ride it). This is a type of cord, but not the same..

To control the wand? How did the wand speak to you if you were always controlling it? But there are also many uses of wands and you may use yours differently than I do mine... I have only been workiing with it for a few months, so am still in the bonding stage. It is almost like having the spirit of the tree as a familiar spirit, but different - I don't control it. It could choose to tell me to go eff off, lol, and refuse to work with me. I sleep with it, take it to work with me, take it in the car with me if I have to run to the store... take it out on the back step for a smoke and morning coffee. I poke the cat's ears with it (I love to tickle the fur in their ears when they're sleeping and annoy them, lol). But it has talked to me...

M

#12 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:13 AM

To control the wand? How did the wand speak to you if you were always controlling it? But there are also many uses of wands and you may use yours differently than I do mine... I have only been workiing with it for a few months, so am still in the bonding stage. It is almost like having the spirit of the tree as a familiar spirit, but different - I don't control it. It could choose to tell me to go eff off, lol, and refuse to work with me. I sleep with it, take it to work with me, take it in the car with me if I have to run to the store... take it out on the back step for a smoke and morning coffee. I poke the cat's ears with it (I love to tickle the fur in their ears when they're sleeping and annoy them, lol). But it has talked to me...

M

lol, No not to control it, to add controlling power TO it, as an ally, an aid for directing and focusing the intense energy that it would be channeling. Which could be how others look at the cord charms.

#13 Lucea's Child

Lucea's Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:12 PM

What a fantastic site. I've been looking for a staff and unfortunately don't have the trees in my area that I'd like to make my staff from and I definitely wanted live wood and not fallen. This site was the answer to that. Thanks for posting! I just placed my first order today. :)
“One doesn't discover new lands without consenting
to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.”

— Andre Gide

#14 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:32 PM

I am loving this site . Thanks for posting it :) I love the Fetishes, I make these and have them around the house and garden, didn't know there was a market for them ;)

#15 Lucea's Child

Lucea's Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:21 AM

I received my order this weekend and the items are gorgeous. :) I got an ash staff and a churchyard yew root wand. Micha was wonderful to work with and I couldn't recommend the site more highly. :D
“One doesn't discover new lands without consenting
to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.”

— Andre Gide

#16 MarlaDurden

MarlaDurden

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:58 AM

I have a hazel wand and a blackthorn kabloutermannikin made by Micha. Both are wonderful :) I'd definitely buy from him again.

#17 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:06 PM

The Briar Rose is re-doing their webpage and therefore clearing stock. Major sale going on... 

http://thebriarrose.webs.com/

M