Shit book collection...

Dawn

Guest Oakbuchanan
The Works of Katharine Briggs, Ethel Rudkin, Mrs. Balfour, Lewis Spence, George Ewart Evans. In particular Lincolnshire Folklore by Ethel Rudkin and Pattern under the Plough by George E. Evans. I do like Underworld Inititation by R.J. Stewart as well (Fascinating assertion on Underworld Mythos within the Ballad of Tam Lin and Thomas the Rhymer), Robert Graves White Goddess of course and the works of Emma Wilby. :)

I love the ballad of Tam Lin :)

"But the night is Halloween, lady,

The morn is Hallowday,

Then win me, win me, an ye will,

For weel I wat ye may.

"Just at the mirk and midnight hour

The fairy folk will ride,

And they that wad their true-love win,

At Miles Cross they maun bide."

Love it!!... :D....

Heres a link to the rest of it...

Edited by Oakbuchanan
To add link.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Works of Katharine Briggs, Ethel Rudkin, Mrs. Balfour, Lewis Spence, George Ewart Evans. In particular Lincolnshire Folklore by Ethel Rudkin and Pattern under the Plough by George E. Evans. I do like Underworld Inititation by R.J. Stewart as well (Fascinating assertion on Underworld Mythos within the Ballad of Tam Lin and Thomas the Rhymer), Robert Graves White Goddess of course and the works of Emma Wilby. :)

Wonderful, I will be scouting for these :)

Here's my list, taken from the thread, "Needing Good Books!!".

In terms of the practices of traditional witches, books on folklore are probably your best bet. Though I have to say that books, such as the following, have also been helpful to me.

13 Moons by Fiona Walker-Craven

The Art and Practice of Creative Visualization by Ophiel

The Art and Practice of Astral Projection by Ophiel

Aspects of Anglo-Saxon Magic by Bill Griffiths

Augeries and Omens: Magical Lore of Birds by Yvonne Aburrow

The Book of the Cailleach: Stories of the Wise Woman Healer by Gearoid Crualaoich

Compendium of Symbolic and Ritual Plants in Europe by Marcel De Cleene

A Complete Guide to Psychic Development by Cassandra Eason

Creative Visualization by Shakti Gawain

Culpeper's Color Herbal

Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits: Shamanistic Visionary Traditions in Early Modern British Witchcraft and Magic by E. Wilby

Cunning-folk: Popular Magic in English History by Owen Davies

A Dictionary of Plant Lore by Roy Vickery

The Diviner's Handbook: Guide to the Techniques and Applications of Dowsingby Tom Graves

The Discoverie of Witchcraft by Reginald Scot

The Element Encyclopaedia of 5000 Spells: The Ultimate Reference Book for the Magical Arts by Judika Illes

The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures: The Ultimate A-Z of Fantastic Beings from Myth and Magic by John and Caitlin Matthews

The Folklore of Birds by Laura C. Martin

The Folklore of Plants by T. F. Thiselton-Dyer

The Fourth Book of Occult Philosophy by Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa Von Nettesheim

The Gaelic Otherworld: Superstitions of the Highlands and Islands by John Gregorson Campbell

Healing Threads: Traditional Medicines of the Highlands and Islands by Mary Beith

Herbs for Magic and Ritual by Teresa Moorey

A History of Witchcraft and Magic in Wales by Richard Suggett

Imramma: Undertaking the Soul Journey by Eblamma Raven

Irish Trees: Myths Legends and Folklore by Niall MacCoitir

Irish Witchcraft by St John D Seymour

Irish Witchcraft from an Irish Witch by Lora O'Brien (came from a Wicca background, but this book is about going back to the roots of practices in Ireland)

Leechcraft: Early English Charms, Plant-lore and Healing by Stephen Pollington

Liber Noctis: The Handbook of the Sorcerous Arte by G. St. M Nottingham

Light from the Shadows: A Mythos of Modern Traditional Witchcraft by Gwynn

The Little Book of Ancient Plant Lore by T. F. Thistleton-Dyer

Magic and Witchcraft in Scotland by Joyce Miller

Magic in the Middle Ages by Richard Kieckhefer

Mastering Witchcraft by Paul Huson

Medicinal Plants in Folk Tradition: An Ethnobotany of Britain & Ireland by David E Allen

A Modern Herbal by Maud Grieve

Natural Magic by Doreen Valiente (a Wiccan, yes, but don't dismiss the book)

Nine Worlds of Seid-Magic: Ecstasy and Neo-Shamanism in North European Paganism by Jenny Blain

The Old Sod: The Odd Life and Inner Work of William G. Gray by Alan Richardson and Marcus Claridge

The Pattern Under the Plough by George Ewart Evans

Root and Branch: Traditional British Tree Lore by Paul R. Harris

Rowan Tree and Red Thread: a Scottish Witchcraft Miscellany of Tales, Legends and Ballads by Thomas Davidson

Sea Witch: Practical Oceanic Magic by Paul Holman

Singing with Blackbirds: The Survival of Primal Celtic Shamanism in Later Folk-Traditions by Stuart A. Harris-Logan

Snake Fat and Knotted Threads: An Introduction to Traditional Finnish Healing Magic by Kati Koppana

Thorsons Way of Natural Magic by Nigel Pennick

Weather Lore by Richard Inwards

Witchcraft and belief in Early Modern Scotland by Julian Goodare

Witches, Druids And King Arthur by Ronald Hutton

A Witch's Treasury of the Countryside by Paul Harriss

Witchcraft, Magic and Culture, 1736-1951 by Owen Davies

... just to name a few. ;) I reserve the right to edit this list, however, as I file books under different sections (such as folklore, myth) that may relate to witchcraft. As I find them, I'll add to the list.

Edited by Ancestral Celt
To add titles ....

• 2 years later...

Someone mentioned to me over the weekend that my collection of witch craft books are pretty shit, which, as much as it pains me, i have to agree with.

So come on i need some suggestions. I like historical stuff, i like interesting stuff, books that move me and propel me into that time, old folk lores etc.

So any sugestions would be welcome so i can get my book cred back ;) x

Well it depends on what is defined as 'shit'. I have everything in my collection of books from a really old and battered herbal book by M Grieves to Wicca by Scott Cunningham. Some books are worse than others but I don't think that any one book is 'shit', all books have value whether it teaches you something great or reinforces your opinion that a certain path or certain way is not for you. When I first reaquainted myself with this path I bought everything so I have some Wiccan books and some books that are not.

However at this time I am ignoring Ancestral Celt's list of books because otherwise I will end up spending money......ooooohhhh books!

Edited by Stacey

• 3 months later...

Greetings All,

Well I located my box o books the other day under a pile of others ... and seeing this *rubs hands* I shall have to have a pencil and paper ready when I unpack it so I can add in here my faves ... actually I suppose I should put as it's own topic!

Gah I am NEVER gonna get any yardwork done at this rate! *Shakes Fist*

Fraternally

Scott

I'd get writer's cramp typing or writing down all my books, but I suppose it would be good to have a list too.

I suspect this person referred to Dawn's list as "shit" because of some of the wiccan influence, but even those books can have good bits.

I like a lot of Scott Cunningham's stuff, for example. I simply ignore the wiccan influences.

I certainly have some rather.. well, silly books, but even within those are some useful tidbits, some of which inspire or stoke the imagination.

Books are multifaceted tools, use what's good and ignore the rest... and even the best built hammer is pretty useless if what you need at the moment is a box wrench.

Just off the top of my head, in general, I'd say anything by Owen Davies or Ronald Hutton is good, though more of a historical perspective than anything. (I feel that's important to have though). A good number of my books are divination oriented as well.. but I suppose they count.

I adore my book collection, but I am always adding. (Lately I have had to trim down my clothing collection to make more room for books, so I can put a few in drawers.

I think it has been said here before, but history, mythology, botanical, and fairytales are as good as any place to start. But in addition to three shelves for those sort of books, I also have three shelves of witchcraft and pagan books, which I regularly thin out the bad ones and endeavor to replace with good ones. My local book store owner knows what I like and keeps a look out for older hardback witchcraft and occult books for me. My recent treasure is a hardback copy of the White Goddess by Robert Graves, but with so many books to read, I am only 70 pages into it.

I would avoid recommending wiccan books to new witches because often they are inexperienced and don't know how or what to filter out. I have read two Scott Cunningham books just to develop my own opinion of them, and I found maybe one new or useful bit in each. (The exception being his wonderful Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs which is a collection of folk information). Solitary Wicca and Witch Crafts were both rather lacking.

I think a solid standing in non-wiccan books is a better start and less time is wasted. If I could have spent a hour reading a good book to find dozens of useful bits or an hour reading a wiccan book to pull out one piece I could perhaps change to be halfway good, I think time is better spent on the well regarded book. I read fast, but I don't have infintate time, and I feel I have already wasted too much time reading crap books just to form my own opinion of them. Why not put just as much or more effort into forming my own opinion of books that are highly recommended :)

Your collection cant be that bad at least you don't have Solitary Witch: The Ultimate Book of Shadows for the New Generation!!!!!! by none other than the all mighty

Lady Silver Raven-Wolf :twisted_witch:

I find her planetary correspondences on foods and herbs pretty spot on. So I keep it for reference. I just cant stand it when she writes about construction paper and pipe cleaners :sick: and that certain powers were lost to us... that makes no sense.

In my defense when I bought it I was just a seeker........:stars:

Edited by Panis

I just cant stand it when she writes about construction paper and pipe cleaners :sick: and that certain powers were lost to us... that makes no sense.

Oh Panis, it does make sense to those who dared to tread the wicked slopes and go atop Candy Mountain.

I gulp deeply, just thinking about the Legend and Lore.

Regards,

Gypsy

Your collection cant be that bad at least you don't have Solitary Witch: The Ultimate Book of Shadows for the New Generation!!!!!! by none other than the all mighty

Lady Silver Raven-Wolf :twisted_witch:

I find her planetary correspondences on foods and herbs pretty spot on. So I keep it for reference. I just cant stand it when she writes about construction paper and pipe cleaners :sick: and that certain powers were lost to us... that makes no sense.

In my defense when I bought it I was just a seeker........:stars:

Acck! Gold-digging Raving Loon.. okay, I never went that far. Well ...okay, maybe I did.. :confused: I once had "Pop goes the Witch" by Fiona Horn. Got rid of that quick though. It was in the bargain bin, and I was just restarting.

The Scott Cunningham stuff I like is his reference works, like the herbal books, or the oils and incenses, or the crystals.. that kinda stuff only.

As to the 'silly" I mentioned earlier, I just finished the two volumes of Oberon Zell Ravenheart's "Grimoire for the Apprentice Wizard" and the "Companion", which are meant for kids. They have a decidedly wiccan theme throughout. While some of the stuff in there is almost laughable, (the Companion book more so) they do function as pretty good all around reference, particularly the Grimiore. Actually the Grimoire wasn't bad. I just don't like how they use the Harry Potter meme to grab kids and then introduce them to a religion. Harry Potter is about magic, it's not about religion, y'know?

When I think about it, I got all kinds of books in my collection, many of which I'm sure someone might think was "shit", but sometimes you gotta expand your horizons, and other times.. it's just entertainment.

I have everything from historical witchcraft, to spellbooks, to reference books (herbal, correspondences, crystals), to stuff on quantum consciousness and psi and the zero point field, to the Eddas, to all world mythology, to all forms of divination, to Alchemy, to .. well.. Lord of the Rings, books on Middle Earth, and all kinds of books on Harry Potter, including the seven volumes themselves and other wizardly fiction books. On top of that, I've got more ebooks and pdfs than I'll be able to read in a lifetime, some of rare grimoires, so I look at those as reference, if I should ever need 'em.

Better more than less!

I like plant guides (pref with photos). Plants, mushrooms, trees, etc. A good one will also let you know medicinal and historical uses, although you may have to search a little harder for one of those. Tourist shops for your area often have them, or at state parks.

Ancestral Celt had an excellent list. I am envious of many of those titles! I really want 13 Moons but can't afford it. :(

Robin Artisson has some great essays on his site. I also love to read blogs. Google the word "stang" and see what you come up with--that's what I did, and now I have about 15 trad witchcraft blogs on RSS. :grin_witch:

A few to add (apologies if any are repeats):

Witchcraft and Folklore of Dartmoor, by Ruth E. St. Leger-Gordon.

The Way of Wyrd, by Brian Bates.

Leechcraft, by Stephen Pollington.

Mastering Witchcraft, by Paul Huson.

Balkan Traditional Witchcraft, by Radomir Ristic.

Notes on the Folk-Lore of the Northern Counties of England and the Borders, by William Henderson.

Aradia, or the Gospel of the Witches, by Charles Leland.

Agrippa's Occult Philosophy: Natural Magic, by Cornelius Agrippa.

Wyrdworking, by Alaric Albertsson.

Practical Magic in the Northern Tradition, by Nigel Pennick.

Hedge-Rider, by Eric de Vries.

Call of the Horned Piper, by Nigel Jackson.

A Grimoire for Modern Cunningfolk, by Peter Paddon.

The Resurrection of the Meadow, by Robin Artisson.

Traditional Witchcraft: A Cornish Book of Ways, by Gemma Gary.

Culpeper's Complete Herbal, by Nicholas Culpeper.

Hedge-Rider, by Eric de Vries.
I really want to like this book but the bad editing has really put me off. I pick it up and put it down again. Desperately want Leechcraft and A Cornish book of ways. I have just downloaded Aradia and The Golden Bough for free to my Kindle.

I had a look at Cornish ways on Amazon UK and was a bit put off by the negative review who describes the book as "Modern pagan witchcraft with a bit of folklore thrown in for local colour." Yet it seems to be fawned over by the readership of this Forum. I wonder then just what processes are involved in discerning what belongs on a Shit book collection list and what doesn't. :confused:

...I wonder then just what processes are involved in discerning what belongs on a Shit book collection list and what doesn't. :confused:

Personal opinion, lol. As always, one man's fruit is another man's candy.

As for modern pagan witchcraft with a bit of folklore thrown in, well, that isn't that far off from what witchcraft is. There are very few traditions which have been handed down with rituals and lore un-changed, and they are not available to 99.9% of witches. What was recorded and written-down is for the most part ceremonial. As such, since it is the ritual most people were exposed to in some form or another it is what permeates ritualistic witchcraft. IN non-ritualistic craft the folklore and it's symbolic meanings as interpreted by any specific person or number of persons is what has been handed down. Most people have neither the time nor the inclination to abandon daily living responsibilities to delve deeply into these lores (and to really study one must devote much of their waking hours to it, and that doesn't bode well for getting the mortgage paid on time, the kids to ballet practice, and qulity time with the spouse). So (some) books are written by some people who were able to take the time, or who didn't have the same mundane responsibilities. And these books offer a way of working in an available format for many seekers. But these books are mostly still recent books.

There are rituals to extract the energy from a diety focus, carry it within the extractor, and "insert" it within anoter diety focus. These rituals are not written down and are not passed on except to people who have and could dedicate their life to learning these rituals and mastering the control necessary to do so. If the way of the ritual was given to any old person, there would be a lot of insanity and deaths. As the world industrialized and modernized the practices of most people moved into political and modernized deities so much of these types of practices and rituals have been lost with the exception of small pockets that the main-stream public will never hear of. As people who have the tiime and desire to dedicate to such an extent become fewer and fewer, the rituals themselves will most likely become lost as well as the people who desire to work within these beliefs. That is one reason why in some paths a witch 'cannot die" without passing on "the power" - not that they "can't" die, but that it would be a great taboo to do so, becuase of the knowledge and connection that is lost. Re-waking a connection and re-discovering the knowledge and awareness of these things is much harder and will take a society generations and generations and generations to overcome.

Look at the psychopomp - the guider of souls. Stop ten people at the grocery store and you'll be lucky of any of them know what a psychopomp is. But get trained as one anyway - dedicate your life to learning the rituals, developing the connection, the practice, and the protections necessary to guide the souls of the dead. Once you have the knowledge, you will still find few if any people in the modern world who will come to you for your services - just as the village blacksmith is no longer necessary in the average city - even most farming communities are corporate and industrialized. The world is changing, ways of belief are changing. Evolution goes on...

M

M

I really want to like this book but the bad editing has really put me off. I pick it up and put it down again. Desperately want Leechcraft and A Cornish book of ways. I have just downloaded Aradia and The Golden Bough for free to my Kindle.

Yeah, the de Vries book is poorly edited. Still, it has its good points. Leechcraft is definitely worth getting your hands on, and didn't actually cost that much when I got it through Amazon. I was just reading from it the other day. :)

Not all books are equal, of course, but you can often glean useful and interesting information in unexpected places.

I had a look at Cornish ways on Amazon UK and was a bit put off by the negative review who describes the book as "Modern pagan witchcraft with a bit of folklore thrown in for local colour." Yet it seems to be fawned over by the readership of this Forum. I wonder then just what processes are involved in discerning what belongs on a Shit book collection list and what doesn't. :confused:

I agree with Michele that what constitutes a good or a shit book is mostly a matter of personal opinion. I think the old adage, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all applies here. Of the lists given by our peers, I would say I have read a little over half of the titles. Of those, I would not personally line the bottom of a dog kennel with a good number, BUT one does not generally make that point. First, it provokes an immediate defensive response, even from folks who didn't give a shit before, and it can lead to attacks on the author or those who like the author. This is why I prefer reviews, instead of straight lists.