Shit book collection...

Dawn

Someone mentioned to me over the weekend that my collection of witch craft books are pretty shit, which, as much as it pains me, i have to agree with.

So come on i need some suggestions. I like historical stuff, i like interesting stuff, books that move me and propel me into that time, old folk lores etc.

So any sugestions would be welcome so i can get my book cred back ;) x

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely we'd need to know just what you have in your collection.....or we could just recommend the very books deemed shit!......trouble is we are all very different in our outlooks so therefore our book choice is going to ......clash!

I know I often see authors or books recommended that I am sat at home going.....nooooooo not that one!!!

Hi ho!

How about, Earth Wisdom by Glennie Kindred?

Some ly de angels, nocturnal witchcraft, dark nights of the soul, a witch alone , but it may have been based on my wicca ones that i still have hanging around. I just have a major book hoarding thing going on ;)

However in saying that i do want to read some really old folk lore, old herbal remedies.

A book I like which some people may think is shit.

Witchcrafting by Phyllis Curott. Yes she calls herself wiccan, but this book is written with the 3 fold law, and wiccan rede omitted.

Some others

Diary of a witch by sybil Leek

The way of wyrd by brian bates

The witching way of hollow hill by robin arttison

Power of the witch by Laurie Cabot (I know some people groan at her name, but I found the book useful in some areas)

Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic by catherine yronwode

That's just a few off the top of my head

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder...I would venture to say that "shit books" are also in the eye of the reader. If a book held your interest enough to make it to your keep shelves, then it wasn't really shit for you. We all probably have books that others would groan at. I go through my shelves every now and then to re-evaluate what is worth keeping and I seldom end up getting rid of many. Matter of fact, it is about that time for me to do the edit again.

I was thinking about this thread throughout the day. and came to the conclusion your friend may be what i call an elitist asshole. Someone who thinks things they enjoy are the only good things, adn anything they don't like they call shit. Be it books, movies, tv shows, etc....

These are the people I have learned to say piss off to.

Guest Oakbuchanan
I was thinking about this thread throughout the day. and came to the conclusion your friend may be what i call an elitist asshole. Someone who thinks things they enjoy are the only good things, adn anything they don't like they call shit. Be it books, movies, tv shows, etc....

These are the people I have learned to say piss off to.

LOL Well said! :D

Off the top of my head I would suggest Aradia Gospel of the witches, the call of the horned piper, the witching way of the hollow hill and whatever mythological or classical books you can lay your hands on. I have a wonderful book on Navaho magic too - very interesting and the Philip Carr Gomm book of English magic is said to be very good, I own it but have lent it out before I could read it. I'm getting it back at our next moot, which PCG is attending so I'll get it signed and then read it myself, I'll let you know what I think then :)

Off the top of my head I would suggest Aradia Gospel of the witches, the call of the horned piper, the witching way of the hollow hill and whatever mythological or classical books you can lay your hands on. I have a wonderful book on Navaho magic too - very interesting and the Philip Carr Gomm book of English magic is said to be very good, I own it but have lent it out before I could read it. I'm getting it back at our next moot, which PCG is attending so I'll get it signed and then read it myself, I'll let you know what I think then :)

Cheers bud! :)

The Works of Katharine Briggs, Ethel Rudkin, Mrs. Balfour, Lewis Spence, George Ewart Evans. In particular Lincolnshire Folklore by Ethel Rudkin and Pattern under the Plough by George E. Evans. I do like Underworld Inititation by R.J. Stewart as well (Fascinating assertion on Underworld Mythos within the Ballad of Tam Lin and Thomas the Rhymer), Robert Graves White Goddess of course and the works of Emma Wilby. :)