Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone else still use this?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

#41 Georgia

Georgia

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

They show up on ebay now and then. I'm always tempted but have never taken the plunge so far. I need to replace my 6 year old mobile phone this month, and it's new 'contact lenses time' next month, so it'll be quite a while before I go looking for one seriously. I think the consensus of opinion is coffee grinds work too, if black tea really isn't your thing. It's not mine either.

I do quite like a nuce cuppa tea and there is the nostalgic aspect of drinking lose tea. Not sure that I fancy the idea of a mouth full of tea leaves lol.

I am pretty sure that I saw one of those cups in a shop along my local high street. The lady who owns it normally has pretty interesting stock, I think because there is a lot of local witches. I know what you mean though, there is always something else that swallows up the cash. I will have a look on ebay and see how far the funds will strech.

Thank you Marion :vhappywitch:

#42 Marion

Marion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:07 AM

I do quite like a nuce cuppa tea and there is the nostalgic aspect of drinking lose tea. Not sure that I fancy the idea of a mouth full of tea leaves lol.

I am pretty sure that I saw one of those cups in a shop along my local high street. The lady who owns it normally has pretty interesting stock, I think because there is a lot of local witches. I know what you mean though, there is always something else that swallows up the cash. I will have a look on ebay and see how far the funds will strech.

Thank you Marion :vhappywitch:

You're very welcome X

"Bart, the ability to add two-digit numbers does not make you a witch" ~ Lisa Simpson

Always up to witchery ~ Marion

#43 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:28 PM

I got a near-perfect Eiffel tower in my cup the other day at dim sum... what's that about? It was near the rim. I'll see if I can find the picture I took...
I am my own Keeper; my own Sower, my own Reaper.
~ V ~

#44 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:02 PM

I got a near-perfect Eiffel tower in my cup the other day at dim sum... what's that about? It was near the rim. I'll see if I can find the picture I took...

If I got that I'd probably use it as an excuse to buy a plane ticket to Paris. :ani_witch_moon: lol

I'd never tried this before but have always been interested in tea leaf reading, so yesterday I got some loose leaf tea and gave it a go. The first time I got a frog that seemed to be moving. The second time I got an almost perfect Om symbol. The frog I understand but the Om symbol seems odd since I don't work with Indian imagery much anymore. I have in the past, but not for a really long time. Hmm.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#45 ejfinch

ejfinch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

If I got that I'd probably use it as an excuse to buy a plane ticket to Paris. :ani_witch_moon: lol

I'd never tried this before but have always been interested in tea leaf reading, so yesterday I got some loose leaf tea and gave it a go. The first time I got a frog that seemed to be moving. The second time I got an almost perfect Om symbol. The frog I understand but the Om symbol seems odd since I don't work with Indian imagery much anymore. I have in the past, but not for a really long time. Hmm.

Could the appearance of the Om symbol be calling you to re-visit that, particular vein of exploration? Just the first thought that came to mind.

#46 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:22 PM

Could the appearance of the Om symbol be calling you to re-visit that, particular vein of exploration? Just the first thought that came to mind.

I've been wondering about that - great minds think alike. :)

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#47 Vermilion

Vermilion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

I wish... don't have the cash flow m'dear!

And the Om - maybe some deep meditation on the concept would do it? ;) (see what I did there? heehee)

I am my own Keeper; my own Sower, my own Reaper.
~ V ~

#48 Aloe

Aloe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:11 PM

I wish... don't have the cash flow m'dear!

And the Om - maybe some deep meditation on the concept would do it? ;) (see what I did there? heehee)

I don't have the extra cash either for an impromptu Paris trip either, but if the signs said it was necessary who am I to argue? ;)

Yes I do, lol.

#49 Georgia

Georgia

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:54 PM

I do have what may sound like a really dumb question. I really fancy having a go at tea leaf reading, but I'm not sure if you use a tea strainer or not. I know it sounds silly but even strained tea has it's quantity of tea leaves left in the cup so I really was not sure?

Many thanks

Georgia x

#50 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:20 PM

I do have what may sound like a really dumb question. I really fancy having a go at tea leaf reading, but I'm not sure if you use a tea strainer or not. I know it sounds silly but even strained tea has it's quantity of tea leaves left in the cup so I really was not sure?

Many thanks

Georgia x

There's a really good article about Tea Leaves and their how-to's of reading them on the forum. I'm not techy enough to post it here, lol. My best advice is to use the Search button, it's been my resource over and over again. :biggrin: :goodluck:

Regards,
Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#51 Droghon

Droghon

Administrator/Host

• Administrators
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:24 PM

Many thanks

Georgia x

Hi Georgia,

a link to the article topic which Gypsy mentioned

http://www.tradition...eaves-by-mcdee/

Traditionally no tea strainer, just make your pot of tea with tea leaves and pour a cup :)

Droghon (or Brian)

I know nothing, I seek everything.

Words of a wise woman .. "OMFG stop being an utter newb and start acting like a proper witch who knows what they are talking about!"

#52 Georgia

Georgia

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:11 AM

Thank you both very much for replying.I had read the tutorial a couple of times and that was the only point that I was not clear on. I did think that maybe using a strainer might not leave enough leaves in the cup, but I didn't know if not using one would give too many leaves. That was my dilemma. I am trying it out on my guinea pig, ooops I mean friend later and I am really looking forward to attempting something new. Although I am not expecting much from my first go.

Many thanks again, it is an amazing tutorial.

Georgia xx

#53 firebird

firebird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:46 AM

Thank you both very much for replying.I had read the tutorial a couple of times and that was the only point that I was not clear on. I did think that maybe using a strainer might not leave enough leaves in the cup, but I didn't know if not using one would give too many leaves. That was my dilemma. I am trying it out on my guinea pig, ooops I mean friend later and I am really looking forward to attempting something new. Although I am not expecting much from my first go.

Many thanks again, it is an amazing tutorial.

Georgia xx

Apparently you can use coffee grounds too......Not tried that yet personally.....But love reading Tea leaves, it works well for me. :wickedwitch:

#54 Georgia

Georgia

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:05 PM

Yes this is one form of divination that I would like to percivere with I gave it a go today with kinda interesting results....

The leaves in my cup looked very much like a mans face, but a side view. I could clearly see the eye, ear, nose and hair; and a really broad neck.. It was quite uncanny really. I was not sure what to read into it I just figured that I should be mindful of the facial attributes just in case the meaning becomes apparent.

My friends cup was the real mystery though. Despite the abundance of tea leaved she had just one lonely leaf sitting in the cup quite near to the handle. I did have a gut feeling as to it's meaning which I shared and it did make sense to her, but the lack of leaves did surprise us though.

I am quite determined to stick with it though and see how I get on. It makes the morning cuppa more interesting and I like the abstract nature of it. :)

#55 Freki

Freki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:04 AM

This is a wonderful post. I haven't tried reading tea leaves and I would love learn. I adore tea, so perhaps it's time! It's a warm night, but I bet a cup of tea later would be lovely.
~ Listen to them, the children of the night. What sweet music they make! ~
Bram Stoker's Dracula

#56 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:37 AM

I would really love to do this but I can't stand the taste of tea :cry_witch: Might give coffee a go though.

I think losse leaf tea is slowly making a come back, as people are really getting into boutique everything these days & specifically blended tea just doesn't work in bags. IMO

...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#57 Georgia

Georgia

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:35 AM

I would really love to do this but I can't stand the taste of tea :cry_witch: Might give coffee a go though.

I think losse leaf tea is slowly making a come back, as people are really getting into boutique everything these days & specifically blended tea just doesn't work in bags. IMO

I did notice this when I went to buy my tea leaves. There were only two varieties of the bog standard stuff, but a whole assortment of organic tea. I was feeling a bit straped for cash that week so I bought the cheapest one. I like tea but if I am going to be honest this stuff tastes like cack. Never mind the results are worth the foul taste lol

#58 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:52 PM

I agree about tea! Its very un-British of me but as far as I am concerned tea is the "juice of the Devil's pap!!"

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#59 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:47 PM

I agree about tea! Its very un-British of me but as far as I am concerned tea is the "juice of the Devil's pap!!"

I never use actual tea in my "tea". I combine various herbs to achieve the results I want, whether flavorful, medicinal or magical.

J

#60 Druidicseer

Druidicseer

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:09 AM

I still use tea leafs as a means of divination, not that many people drink loose leaf tea nowadays with the advent of teabags, and i was wondering how many of you still use them.

I usually read the leafs first thing in the morning so as to have an idea of the type of day i'm going to have and it has the added effect of waking me up.

Now obviously some of you may disagree but i personally tend to find that the leafs are quite accurate and a lot more acceptable when out in public especially if one of your friends asks for an impromptue reading

I have recently started to teach my younger daughter how to read them and hopefully she will eventually teach her children.

Honestly I really only drink loose leafs!! But I do like to make my own blends and such :) Tea leaf reading can be quite relaxing.