Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone else still use this?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

#1 mcdee2005

mcdee2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:45 PM

I still use tea leafs as a means of divination, not that many people drink loose leaf tea nowadays with the advent of teabags, and i was wondering how many of you still use them.

I usually read the leafs first thing in the morning so as to have an idea of the type of day i'm going to have and it has the added effect of waking me up.

Now obviously some of you may disagree but i personally tend to find that the leafs are quite accurate and a lot more acceptable when out in public especially if one of your friends asks for an impromptue reading

I have recently started to teach my younger daughter how to read them and hopefully she will eventually teach her children.

#2 Cailleach

Cailleach

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:21 PM

I think that it's wonderful that you are continuing this lovely tradition and passing it on to your daughter. I have read the leaves in the past but haven't for a while, you have stirred my reinterest though :)
FFFF

Cailleach

#3 Jason

Jason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:51 PM

This is indeed a lovely tradition. I imagine most people these days dont really pursue this avenue of divination as it doesnt seem as glamorous and exiting as the Tarot or waving a big cystal pendulum or sitting with a great shewstone on their table with draped fabric everywhere.

I think its lovey that you are keeping this old practice going.

Edit: And to answer your question, I do drink tea (I cant do without it. lol), and I always drink loose tea. And yes I do enjoy reading the leaves and find them very acurate for me.

Edited by Jason, 11 October 2009 - 06:01 PM.
Addition for clarity

He who is illuminated with the Darkest Shadow,
will shine with the Brightest Light

#4 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:06 PM

Oh absolutely I use them and find them to be extremely accurate.

When I am out of loose leaf teas I grab a tea bag and cut it open and dump the tea leaves out and use that way.

I love using tea leaves as divination...I've got several friends (readers) who still proudly use this divination method...works wonderfully.

Bravo for you to teach your daughter this!

I still use tea leafs as a means of divination, not that many people drink loose leaf tea nowadays with the advent of teabags, and i was wondering how many of you still use them.

I usually read the leafs first thing in the morning so as to have an idea of the type of day i'm going to have and it has the added effect of waking me up.

Now obviously some of you may disagree but i personally tend to find that the leafs are quite accurate and a lot more acceptable when out in public especially if one of your friends asks for an impromptue reading

I have recently started to teach my younger daughter how to read them and hopefully she will eventually teach her children.

#5 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:51 PM

I do not, but my grandmother did. It's a lovely tradition to pass on.

I think Michele is really interested in this, too.

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#6 Mariposa

Mariposa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:29 PM

I do not read tea leaves, but I wish I did. It is one of my goals to learn though. That and throwing bones. :ghost:

#7 Marion

Marion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:15 AM

I'm quite into knick-knacks and I'm eying up one of those fortune telling cups with everything marked inside it....well, I'm a beginner. Thing is...I hate black tea, you can read coffee grinds in the same way, right ? :)
"Bart, the ability to add two-digit numbers does not make you a witch" ~ Lisa Simpson

Always up to witchery ~ Marion

#8 spinney

spinney

Local hedge witch

• Moderators
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:59 AM

I read tea leaves to the old dears at work :)

#9 Dawn

Dawn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:41 AM

We generally have loose tea in a big old pot as my whole family are tea mad, me included. Earl Grey, normal tea, green tea, fruit tea, the list is endless.

Funny you bought this up because I was reading the leaves of my nans friend a couple of weeks back and saw elephants and trees, similar to an African shot.

How anyone can drink loose tea and not have a look at the bottom of their cup is beyond me. The curiosity would kill me lol.

And I agree it is a lovely tradition.

#10 Rowan's Light

Rowan's Light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:44 AM

I've had my leaves done in the past.

The cups are lovely and are on my must have list. I thinks it's a much overlooked way of reading and would love to learn the art.

#11 WaterWolf83

WaterWolf83

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:43 PM

I have wanted to try this but I am confused as to what individual images mean

From what I understand the bottom of the cup represents the distant future, the middle the near future, and the rim the present. Is this correct?

I would like to learn this so if you have any suggestions or know any good books please let me know :)

Brandi

#12 wolfjan1

wolfjan1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:57 PM

I have wanted to try this but I am confused as to what individual images mean

From what I understand the bottom of the cup represents the distant future, the middle the near future, and the rim the present. Is this correct?

I would like to learn this so if you have any suggestions or know any good books please let me know :)

Brandi

Yes, I would love to read a book and learn from my peers.

It takes true arrogance to try and force ones' religion on another.

#13 WaterWolf83

WaterWolf83

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:57 AM

See everytime I have done it.. I have gone with my own instincts as to what each shape represented..but even upon doing this some leave me confused..

also some I heard use the rim as the past, the middle as the present, and the bottom the future.. some even use the sides

i have been using the rim as the present as I described before..

for the most part I have just been working out what the shapes represent to me.. but i would really like to know if each shape has its own representation ...

#14 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:02 PM

I think it's a great tradition.
I drink tea every single day, but I use bags.
I have a dedicated book on tea leaf reading, (and several more on divination that give a more summarized treatise on it) but the memorization requirements beat me down. I'm still working on Runes and Tarot at this stage.

I wouldn't want to go too "instinctive" with my interpretations because then I'd probably just tell myself what I want to hear.

One book I have is "Simply Tea Leaf Reading", I thought it was pretty good.
http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/1402744870

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#15 mcdee2005

mcdee2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 06:47 PM

A quick tutorial for those who are intrested

1. Make a pot of tea using loose leaf tea (or cut open a tea bag) about 1 table spoon of loose leaf tea should do

2. Pour tea from pot into a normal sized cup and give it to person you are doing the reading for

3 have them drink the tea (milk and sugar can be added if required) ensuring they dont swallow the leafs

4. alow for a small amount of tea to be left at the bottom of the cup, have hem swirle the cup around clockwise and then turn it over onto a saucer

5 after a couple of minutes pick up the teacup holding the handle and commence the reading

the handle is the start point (Here and Now) and the as you read further down the cup things get either further in the future or further in the past

the side of the cup furthest from the handle is generally things in the past

i've included a list of shapes and there possible meanings but when you do your readings allow your own intuition to guide you as to the meaning of the shapes you see

ACORN - at the top means success and gain: At the bottom means good health.

AIRCRAFT - journey; if broken means danger of accident; can also mean a rise in position

ANCHOR - cross, Jesus, at top rest, stability, constancy; at bottom means clouded, inconstancy

APPLE - computer, knowledge, achievement

AXE - difficulties; if at top overcoming of difficulties

BABY - something new, pregnancy

BALL - completion, variable fortunes

BELL - harmonics, creation, spiritual, unexpected news

BIRDS - ascension, good news, bird headed beings

BOAT - lifepath, (note size and speed of boat), and visit from a friend, protection

BOOK - you will find your answer by something written, if open it's good news; if closed you need to investigate something

BUTTERFLY - transition, transformation, Butterfly Effect

CANDLE - sacred light, creational flame, help from others

CAT - deceit, a false friend, Cat Headed Beings

CHAIN - DNA, engagement, a wedding, chain link, karma

CHAIR - a guest

CIRCLE - success, completion

CLOCK - alchemy of time and consciousness, better health

COIN - change in financial status

CROSS - protection, sacrifice

CUP - reward, bloodlines

DAGGER - warning, danger from self or others, power

DOG - friend, Sirius, celestial connotation, Egyptian god, Anubis

DOOR - opening (to something new) or closing (old issues and relations), spiritual (portal)

DUCK - money coming, a man named Bill, 'ducks in a row'

EGG - good omen, creation, new beginnings, sacred geometry

ELEPHANT - wisdom, strength, luck, Ganesh, trunk up indicates overcoming obstacles

ENVELOPE - message coming, positive or negative

EYE - creation - open (awakening) - closed (something not seen)

FAN - hand held (pleats) - rotary (4, time divination, numerology)

FEATHER - ">ascension

FENCE - limitations, minor setbacks, not permanent

FINGER - which finger, pointing in what direction,pointing to god

FIRE - sacred flame, at top achievement; at bottom danger of haste

FISH - Jesus, Creation - Vesica Pisces, Amphibious Gods, good fortune, Christ Consciousness, return of the soul to higher frequency or god

FLAG - denotes nationality

FLY - domestic annoyance

FORK - speak with false tongue, false flattery

FORKED LINE - decision

FRUIT - fruitful, prosperity (depends on the fruit which goes to seeds and planting something new)

GATE - opportunity, future success, ancient civilization, portal, doorway

GLOW - enlightenment

GOAT - be careful of enemies

GUN - anger, sex

HAMMER - hard work needed, getting a point across

HAND - of god, creation, if open means friendship; if closed means an argument

HARP - creational harmonics, love, harmony

HAT - head, consciousness, improvement

HAWK - Horus, jealousy

HEART - chakra, pleasure, love, trust, compassion

HORSE - if galloping means good news; if just the head means a lover or nebula, new

HORSESHOE - good luck, attraction, Earth's magnetics, Omega or Leo, closure

HOURGLASS - time running out, need to decide something, synchronicity, illusion, creation

HOUSE - security, change, success

ICEBERG - danger, planetary meltdown, ice age, consciousness frozen in Time

INSECT - depends which one

JEWELS - DNA, Pearls, Diamonds, Star Tetrahedron, sacred geometry, gifts

KANGAROO - harmony at home

KITE - wishes coming true, flying free

KNIFE - broken friendship, hidden enemy

LADDER - promotion, a rise or fall in life, DNA

LAMP - turned on means enlightenment, at the top means a feast; at the side means secrets revealed; at the bottom means postponement

LEAF - new life

LINES - if straight means progress; if wavy means uncertain path

LION - Leo, Omega, Closure, influential friends, strength, Zoroaster

LOCK - obstacles if closed - new information unfolding if open, lock and key are phallic symbols of creation

LOOP - loops of time and creation, avoid impulsive actions, slinky effect

MASK - something hidden

MOUNTAIN - obstacles or a specific area

MOUSE - theft, computer

MUSHROOM - at top means journey or moving to the country; near bottom means rapid growth; if reversed means frustration, psychedelics

NAIL - injustice, unfairness

NECKLACE - DNA, complete, admirers; if broken means danger of losing a lover

NEEDLE - recognition, admiration, sewing, eye, weaving

OAK - health, long life, tree of life

OCTOPUS - danger, 8, infinity

OSTRICH - travel, not seeking a truth

OWL - gossip, scandal, aliens owl symbology

PALM TREE - success, honor, place were they grow

PARASOL - open (you will glean insightful information), closed (something hidden), raining (water symbology of creation)

PARROT - repeating something, a twin, a journey, people talking and saying nothing

PIG - greed

PURSE - at top means profit; at bottom means lose

QUESTION MARK - need for caution

RABBIT - need for bravery, time and illusion, Alice in Wonderland

RAKE - watch details, planting seeks, reap what you sow

RAVEN - bad news, death that leads to new beginnings

RING - phone call, coming full circle, near the top means marriage or the offer of marriage; at bottom means long engagement; if broken means engagement broken off

ROSE - Rose bloodline, creation, flower of life, love, may be accompanied by a fragrance in the room

SAW - interference, tear apart, something viewed

SCALE - legal issues; if balanced means just result; if unbalanced means unjust result

SCISSORS - quarrels, possibly separation

SHEEP - good fortune

SHELL - good news, nautilus, golden ratio, sea of creation

SHOE - sole/soul, condition of shoe is important, transformation

SNAKE - DNA, wisdom, or if the snake is attacking, an enemy

SPIDER - weaving together, Spider Woman Prophecies

STAR - health and happiness, hope, heavens, Isis and other goddesses, female energies,

SUN - happiness, success, power

SWORD - arguments

TABLE - social gatherings, UFO platform, outside the box

TENT - travel, cover, hidden truth

THIMBLE - changes at home

TORTOISE - criticism, usually beneficial, slow moving, Turtle Island (Earth)

TREE - improvements, of life, creation, book of life, your life path

TRIANGLE - something unexpected, 3 in a relationship, pyramids, 3, third dimension

URN - wealth and happiness

VASE - a friend needs help

VOLCANO - harmful emotions

WAGON - a wedding, wagon wheels (wheels within wheels)

WASP - romantic problems

WATERFALL - prosperity

WHEEL - if complete means good fortune; if broken means disappointment

WINGS - messages, winged beings

WOLF - jealousy

YOKE - domination

ZEBRA - adventure, especially overseas, black and white

McD

This post has been promoted to an article

#16 WaterWolf83

WaterWolf83

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:29 PM

Thank you Mcdee, very nice post.

Do you practice the star on the lip? I have yet to practice this, but I am wondering if anyone else does.

Before the person you are giving the reading for takes a drink, ask them to make a wish.. if after you have flipped the cup back over there is a star on the lip.. it means their wish will come true..

I do not practice this one myself, but it sounds interesting.

#17 mcdee2005

mcdee2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:46 PM

Generally you dont get leaves on the lip as technically they would be outside of the tea cup and therefore not part of the reading.

I do know of a few people who do use it, personally i dont.

Mcd

#18 Cedar

Cedar

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:25 PM

I am interested in tea leaf reading as well. I tried dabbling in it years ago but haven't done it in quite awhile. I don't really remember now how I did it, so thank you mcdee for posting that great refresher!

I had one interesting experience with it that I will share: I did a reading for my daughter who was about 16 at the time. The reading said that in the very near future, she was coming into a lot of money and that a little later on, she was going to do some traveling. This made absolutely no sense to either of us at the time, so we just sorta blew it off as mom and her wacky interpretations!

Well, not more than a month later, her father passed away and she was awarded a tidy little social security sum every month until she turned 18! Not only that, after high school graduation and for part of her college education, she ended up traveling and living all over Europe. At the time she had no plans to do anything like this and we had no way of knowing.

Makes me think I ought to revisit my tea leaf dabblage! :thinking:

#19 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:44 AM

Okay, second try here. The main circuit breaker in my house just blew, it was melted halfway through and cut out just as I was ready to finish creating the drawing and make my post. I'm lucky my house didn't burn down. (But I lost my favorite 19" LCD flatscreen monitor, it died in the power surge :thatsit:)

I decided this morning, after finally locating some genuine loose leaf tea, to give this my debut shot. Loose leaf tea because I'd read that bagged tea is generally cut too fine.
Anyway, the attached screenshots show the results, and I've included them because one "blotch" looked remarkable to me.

The center blotch appears very much to me to be a witch riding on a broomstick, and perhaps reading a Grimoire.
But underneath the witch, looks to be a name, written in cursive: Paul
Well guess what my first name is? lol

I drew it out in Paint if it makes it any clearer, (at least - how I saw it) being that the none of the pictures were quite as clear as I would've liked. My previous camera had a nice "macro" mode for extreme close-ups, but the newer one doesn't.
The pictures don't quite do it justice, but hey, they're better than nothing.

Attached Files

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#20 Cedar

Cedar

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:19 AM

Wow, Grymdycche, that is amazing! Yes, I clearly see the witch riding a broom there and did so before I even read your interpretation of the image. I also clearly see the word "Paul" there.

What does that mean to you? Perhaps a confirmation you're on the correct path for yourself?