Ars Philtron

Jason

Ars Philtron: Concerning the Aqueous Cunning of the Potion and its Praxis in the Green Arte Magical. D. A. Schulke

As this book has come up in another post for somebody wanting more recommendation on it before buying, I thought I would post a quick review as there doesnt seem to be one. It is impossible to do it complete justtice in a short review but hopefully it will give an idea of the nature of the work to those interested.

Ars Philtron is a wonderful work. It is much shorter than other works within the CS framework, but the information is so concise and plentiful.

Obviously, as one can tell from the title, it does deal with the philtre, potion, tinctures, decoctions etc exculsively, so doesnt go into the realms of oils, unguents, balms etc. Although obviously the process of making unguents, balms and oils is of a very similar nature at its very core.

As I have mentioned before, and those who know me well now here, a large part of my tradition is concerned with the land spirits, the forces that animate nature, the genius loci of certain areas, the spiritual realms etc, and applying this to gaining further gnosis of the art as a whole. It has always been at the base of my tradition. And this is probably why this book struck a chord with me when I first read it, as I already work heavily in this way, it deals with so much more than the mechanics of philtres and potions.

This book is also the only book that trully deals, in any great detail, with Aqueous cunning, the virtues of the waters and the spirits. And also lovely reference to Lilith, the vessel, and the role of the horned one within Green magic. There are a few lovely prayers and invocations in there, and excellent reference to working with the plant familiar. It also contains higly useful aspects such as the Alchemical properties, very good guidelines for the distillation of Rain and Dew. And also the gathering of materials, the timing etc and so much more. Also has the practical considerations such as the tools, properties etc. There really is a wealth of information on many levels to be gleaned from this work.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who works with the deeper nature of wort cunning, or those who wish to gain more depth to what they do. This book will serve you extremely well for that purpose, and help you build a deep and powerful practice of the making of Philtres, potions, etc etc.

Personally I have always worked deeply with herbs and wort cunning and worked hard at attuning and workikng with the Genius of the plant and the genius loci of the land it grows in, gaining knowledge of the inner virtues and planetary attributes etc, so I found this book very readable and understandable. But to those without much herbal knowledge I would say you need to be familiar with herbs and wortcunning before reading this, only as it will make it easier to get to the inner teachings of it and not be having to constently reference things. Or should I say you well get to the core of the work easier and not get stuck on the mechanics.

All in all there is alot to be gained from this book, especially in combination with Viridarium Umbris.

Edited by Jason

I am looking forward to the day I can acquire Ars Philtron, working a bit recently with the VU I am ecstatic to see what this volume will contain in likes. Thanks for the review Jason!

Your welcome Grimr.

Im sure you will love this book once you manage to get hold of it. It really does hold a wealth of information. It so hard to even do it justice in a review.

There are so many wonderfully detailed chapters, covering such a wealth of information. And it contains many wonderful formulae, recipes, and lots pertaining to Lilith and Cain. If you get chance, you should definately pick it up.

x

Edited by Jason
Typo

Guest Nightscent

Hi Jason,

Despite the limitations of words i reckon you made a good stab at reviewing what in my opinion is one of the best books on Herb Magic ever. Viridarium Umbris of course being the other.

Hi Jason,

Despite the limitations of words i reckon you made a good stab at reviewing what in my opinion is one of the best books on Herb Magic ever. Viridarium Umbris of course being the other.

Thank you. I do love the book and as I said, its almost impossible to do it justice in words. And yes, along with Viridarium, Ars P are my two favourite herbal, wort-cunning books.

Thank you very much indeed for that review. I have an electronic version of Viridarium Umbris (I know, I know but it's ?500+ for a hard copy) and I am considering purchasing Ars philtron more seriously now.

Im glad the review helped. I would honestly say that the book is worth every penny.

Hey J -

Okay, am new to the book, and have only just skimmed through it (got to bet back to mum's and my sister visiting from Alaska and go out and gorge ourselves on food we wouldn't normally eat in such quantaties without the excuse of visiting relatives, lol)...

The skim-through was very exciting. Granted I just read snippits while I had coffee and pet the cat, but I got the impression that the book has a little more of marrying the practice of ritual and divine with the practice of magic and of relating to nature, and this, as you know, is something I have been working on. I am looking forward to an in-depth read (and buying some more smoke alarms just in case I decide to brew something, lol).

M

Hey J -

Okay, am new to the book, and have only just skimmed through it (got to bet back to mum's and my sister visiting from Alaska and go out and gorge ourselves on food we wouldn't normally eat in such quantaties without the excuse of visiting relatives, lol)...

The skim-through was very exciting. Granted I just read snippits while I had coffee and pet the cat, but I got the impression that the book has a little more of marrying the practice of ritual and divine with the practice of magic and of relating to nature, and this, as you know, is something I have been working on. I am looking forward to an in-depth read (and buying some more smoke alarms just in case I decide to brew something, lol).

M

Hey hun

Yes, it definately combines the nature and divine and how one gets there with oprerative magic ends. The whole process is paramount with the connection to the divine. The connection with the Genius of the plants is but one aspect.

As you know, as of late I have been trying to make more of a connection with different aspects of Lilith, and the various methods of making the vessel and the wort-cauldron and even the aquaeus luna, have really helped me of late. I think working potion making in this way does actually help give that direct link with divine and at the same time has a practical purpose as I get some of my potions made. lol. Who could ask for more. The divine and the operative side by side. And as you know, that is how my path works anyway. So again, this book just worked so easily for me, and it has, and still continues to help me deepen that connection.

Theres some wonderful stuff with regards to Cain aswell. The book is just jam packed with useful workings that are so much more than just potions and brews. I think it certainly helps bridge that gap between Illumination and Nature, and I think offers some great insight into how the two relate and are necessary to each other.

• 2 months later...
I have both of these books and I would highly recommend them to anyone with the remotest interest in the subject. The VU book was a great turning point for me away from the neo shite that is so easy to get drawn into.

I, too, love the VU. It was the first book that got me interested in a Sabbatic path, and I refer to it constantly. The obvious knowledge of D.S. is almost overhwelming. Not only is it a magical herbal unmatched by anything else on the market, but it also gives one an excellent view of a complete and meaningful system of practice.

M