• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:18 PM

Great thanks! I might try to source a plant for next year but make some syrup from dry this year.

#22 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:21 AM

It's worth noting that in a few specific cases, like bird flu (and a few others) elderberry extract taken at the wrong time (in the later stages of infection) can trigger a cytokine storm - an over-activation of the immune response that results in high fever, swelling and in worst cases death.

For everything else, it's pretty awesome.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#23 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:04 PM

Frozen what about someone on chemo? I was thinking of making some for a cancer patient.

#24 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:18 PM

Frozen what about someone on chemo? I was thinking of making some for a cancer patient.

Baring in mind I'm NOT a qualified herbalist or doctor, just an experienced amateur, I would say that it would likely be ok, but DEFINITELY run it past their doctor/oncologist first.

My (admittedly limited) understanding is that chemo drugs target fast dividing cells to kill and that this usually includes immune cells, so if anything, people on chemo tend to have weaker immune systems and [logically in my head] are less likely to experience a C.S.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#25 MuireAnne

MuireAnne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:07 PM

It's worth noting that in a few specific cases, like bird flu (and a few others) elderberry extract taken at the wrong time (in the later stages of infection) can trigger a cytokine storm - an over-activation of the immune response that results in high fever, swelling and in worst cases death.

For everything else, it's pretty awesome.

Thank you so much for pointing this out. What a valuable bit of knowledge!

Sorry about the double post..I'm on mobile right now.

Edited by MuireAnne, 28 August 2017 - 08:07 PM.

True magic is neither bad nor good. It is both, because nature is both; loving and cruel all at the same time. The only good or bad is in the heart of the witch. Life keeps a balance on its own. - Lirio