Smoking Mugwort

Michele

I've smoked it, and similiar to Mountain Witch I felt it a weak marijuana-like buzz. I did NOT feel it had the travel properties as drinking it.

Just be careful....too much over a prolonged period can have a poisonous effect on your system.

I've never heard of smoking mugwort before. How much could you safely smoke at a time?

M-

Mugwort is a relative of wormwood. Both contain absinthium which can be toxic in large doses. Mugwort has less of this chemical. Just like anything that produces a high, they have effects on the Central Nervous System that can be cumulative.

A cup of tea every now & again isn't going to hurt but I wouldn't drink it habitually.

As far as smoking vs. drinking: the hallucenogenic properties enter your bloodstream differently and you don't get as much of them smoking. Your individual reaction is going to determine whether smoking for travel works for you. Can't give you a personal experience as I've never tried smoking it for travel - it was more a "hmmm, wonder how this tastes/feels" moment.

I must admit I've used Mugwort in incense before but have never thought it could be smoked. If I feel the need to induce a trace state I smoke salvia, normally before I conduct any majick requiring a inner sight, I have tried using weed or marajuana for this also but really wouldnt advise it as I lost concentration & the spell almost went very badly wrong!!!

I do alot of research on herbs and I have not heard it said to be toxic when smoking it. But as has been said on this thread you should not drink excessive amounts of mugwort. Then again it tastes pretty nasty, not sure why anyone would be tempted too drink large amounts of this on a regular basis!

If smoking it can become toxic, can drinking it??

M

Which salvia do you use?

Some people mistaken the smell of burning mugwort for marijuana- that has caused some interesting reactions when I burn mugwort around other people!

I must admit I've used Mugwort in incense before but have never thought it could be smoked. If I feel the need to induce a trace state I smoke salvia, normally before I conduct any majick requiring a inner sight, I have tried using weed or marajuana for this also but really wouldnt advise it as I lost concentration & the spell almost went very badly wrong!!!

its simply called spice or spice gold, its kinda strong but to be honest I smoked weed for 15 years so need something with a bit of kick to do the job!!! lol!! Im not sure wot the original salivia that the shamans use is called, I would like to know tho if u know??

The "salvia" smoked by shamans is Salvia divinorum. S. divinorum is a rare plant and, unlike most other sages, is quite difficult to grow.

It is getting a lot of attention here in recent months, to the point that several states/municipalities are considering outlawing it. Problem with their bills is that they simply state "salvia" which would make sage turkey stuffing illegal! The younger generation is interested in it because (at least at the moment in virtually every state except Tennessee) it's a legal high, unlike marijuana.

I read that the Mazatec Indians use “Diviners Sage” (Salvia divinorum). It is native of southern Mexico and the shaman healers either chew the leaves or drink a strong tea made from dry crushed leaves.

I have not tried it.

Im not sure wot the original salivia that the shamans use is called, I would like to know tho if u know??

I think in a recreational sense Salvia D. would be considered unpleasant, I have used it (in a Spiritual-Ritualistic manner) and found it disorienting but also a very physical and spiritual experience. I think with the right mindset Salvia D. could be used to cross the hedge, but I prefer the old fashioned 'Ritual' forms of trance work.

As a form of visionary oracular work...I would work with Salvia D. more in that category. However please remember that depending to location, Salvia Divinorum may be considered a contraband substance, check your local laws.

The "salvia" smoked by shamans is Salvia divinorum. S. divinorum is a rare plant and, unlike most other sages, is quite difficult to grow.

It is getting a lot of attention here in recent months, to the point that several states/municipalities are considering outlawing it. Problem with their bills is that they simply state "salvia" which would make sage turkey stuffing illegal! The younger generation is interested in it because (at least at the moment in virtually every state except Tennessee) it's a legal high, unlike marijuana.

Legal highs are all the rage here 2 atm, its big business, main issue though is whats in these energy pills & stuff, bet theres loads of chemicals!! I dont think that salvia should be banned, not salvia D anyway, I mean shamans have been using this stuff for hundreds of years, but I guess it can be dangerous if abused.

• 9 months later...

Has anyoe ever smoked mugwort, and how did you get on with that?

M

M, I know this is an old post, but since this I have tried smoking it and agree that it is kind of like marijauna, but not really. I felt it rushing into my brain as soon as I smoked it and my heart rate increased very quickly. I guess I felt kind of high off it, but not as much as marijauna. Also, it gave me a hangover more than MJ. I was told to mix it with tobacco, however, sticking it on top of the tobacco in the pipe wasn't exactly following directions lmao. So, in the event of, mix it in before smoking. Have heard of it being mixed with MJ and other herbs as a mixture, but haven't tried it. I think I will stick to tea for now.

• 2 months later...

M, I know this is an old post, but since this I have tried smoking it and agree that it is kind of like marijauna, but not really. I felt it rushing into my brain as soon as I smoked it and my heart rate increased very quickly. I guess I felt kind of high off it, but not as much as marijauna. Also, it gave me a hangover more than MJ. I was told to mix it with tobacco, however, sticking it on top of the tobacco in the pipe wasn't exactly following directions lmao. So, in the event of, mix it in before smoking. Have heard of it being mixed with MJ and other herbs as a mixture, but haven't tried it. I think I will stick to tea for now.

I smoke a blend of Mugwort, Damiana, Coltsfoot and Mullein. It has no other additives and I purchase it at a local shop run by a Native American woman. The label on her blend actually says that it is "safe and soothing to the lungs when smoked". I don't know if that is actually true, though I have read the same thing about the mixture in other places (online herbal references). I smoke it strictly for anxiety relief and, in this mixture, it is MUCH tamer than mary jane. Some say it smells similar but I think it is quite different, though pungent, nonetheless.

• 1 month later...

I've heard of people mixing skullcap in with damiana and other herbs too, and getting a good feeling from it.

Regards salvia d. -that's a whole different kettle of fish. Depending on the concentration, it can be way more potent than MaryJ. Even "straight" leaf has a strong effect. Be careful if you use it. I believe it's labeled as a "disassociative" rather than a hallucinogen; that is, you could "become" someone else temporarily, or feel that you have, and forget everything about yourself for a few minutes. On the up side (depending on your view), the peak only lasts a few minutes, much unlike MaryJ which just lingers for hours and slowly burns you out, IMO.

I definitely agree it's not a recreational drug, it's just too profound and strong to be abused like that. And Sally will kick your ass if you try!

@ ejfinch; I agree with your doubts: NO smoke is "soothing" to the lungs, it's inhaling burnt particulate matter, period. It's never a health benefit.

An interesting aside - my son was paying for gas a the gas station and they had for sale a "legal marijuana" which was a small herb pack. He bought it and showed it to me. I looked at the ingredients and it was mullien, mugwort, damiana and a few others I don't remember. Anyway, for use in ritual it was a wonderfully inexpensive, ready-made, food-grade, either incense or smoke to go. I'll grab a pack and see exactly what was in it as I only remember those three, but it was all herbs I knew and sounded a lot like a "flying" smoke, rather than ointment, lol. He actually did try smoking some and said two hits and you were "out there."

M

Which is more dangerous then, mugwart or weed? If weed gets you higher and is better for you then why do people smoke mugwort anyway? Just curious

Which is more dangerous then, mugwart or weed? If weed gets you higher and is better for you then why do people smoke mugwort anyway? Just curious

Both about as safe as each other... Mugwort gets toxic in high doses, I can't remember exactly how much, but, I know that a cigarette amount isn't toxic...

When I have smoked it, I have rubbed (rolled it through my fingers) dried mugwort until it gets nice and fluffy, wet my hands, shaken the excess water off them and then rubbed it again (purely to slow the burning), before making into a cigarette. I find treating the mugwort like this, I get a good smokable burn from it, that doesn't need tobacco mixed with it (since I don't like tobacco). Personally I find it lifts my energy levels, but, with a slightly calming effect with it, nothing like the high I get from weed...

I think the point is not to smoke it simply to get high, but as part of one's ritual, or use as incense. Is good dreaming and/or vision herb and good to use for trance. I have since tried the combo referred to earlier (mullien, mugwort and damiana) and I added a bit of cypress oil. I burned it as incense during an ancestor ritual on Sunday (which was 15 degrees scorpio)and I must say I really liked it. I really felt the "drop down" and the smell was quite earthy and heavy rather than light and airy. I also liked the way it burned and rather "moved" as it burned so one could just drop into it and watch it burning and changing and see all kinds of things in the ashes.

M

M

• 1 month later...

Be very careful with salvia. You can gets some nasty trips off this stuff, witch or not. I know two people who will never touch the stuff again, one follows a shamanic path and the other just smokes lots of weed.

Be very careful with salvia. You can get some nasty trips off this stuff, witch or not. I know two people who will never touch the stuff again, one follows a shamanic path and the other just smokes alot of weed.

( I have edited this 3 times because of spelling lol. I can't stand to see an error and not fix it. So, if you see an error in my stuff it's because I have not caught it yet. Its a compulsion...)

Archived