Photo
- - - - -

Does Anyone Else Feel "Out of Time/Place"?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
90 replies to this topic

#81 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:54 AM

In my twenties, I was a high tech scifi fan. I looked forward to the future and more technology. My fave show was Star Trek, TNG.
Now, close to fifty, I've just about done a 180. I think working so much with computers has done that to me. I've been in IT for almost 20 years now, and it's taught me something.

We're all living in a house of cards. Everything is so dependent on electricity, on the grid, and on overly sensitive, tiny little circuits that require expensive, special fabrication plants and "clean rooms" to make; it's all so artificial, and delicate, and most of us have no idea just how vulnerable it all is.
Anyone living in the north eastern part of the US will remember the big blackout of 2003. It didn't take much to cause it. Our grid is woefully oudated and under-maintenanced. It will happen again.
Another threat is EMP - Electro Magnetic Pulses, which can be created by an orbiting nuke, or just a massive solar flare that hits us dead on. It happened in the 1800s, but then our infrastructure was such that not much was disrupted; today, it'd be catastrophic. The more complex a system is, the more chances there are for it to fail. Do you even want to know how many transistors are in a typical microprocessor, each of them susceptible to shorting, creating a cascade of failure, and how many important things in our lives are dependent on those processors, from banking to inventory to insurance to all kinds of industry.. you name it. And sufficiently large disruption to the flow of electricity, or to the health of all those microprocessors, and civilization will revert to savagery, almost overnight. It will freaking fall apart.

At times, I really just wanna bug out to the mid-west or even Canada, get away from all that, and just live in nature, and not rely on heavily manmade crap that can't survive having one "i" not dotted or "t" crossed. I'm starting to understand the mindset of "preppers" and survivalists. They might have a damn good point, politics aside.

We do have computers and electronics in Canada ;)

#82 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:23 AM

Yep, we have electronics here in the Midwest, too. Lots of electronical type crap. I don't understand why for some this has to be an all or nothing proposition. Like either you want to be sitting in the middle of the deep, dark forest in a loin cloth, gnawing on the bone of a deer, you killed yourself, mixed with greens you tended from seeds with your own shit. OR you sitting on a concrete slab in a tree-less city filled with skyscrapers, talking on your cell phone through a microchip in your head, shitting out toilet paper faxes.

I do not feel that I am dishonoring my ancestors or denying my Witchiness, because I have no problem whatsoever, sitting in the forest, listening to the animals, AND taking pictures with my cell phone, while I research the lore of the plants on my NOOK.

J

#83 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:26 AM

...I do not feel that I am dishonoring my ancestors or denying my Witchiness, because I have no problem whatsoever, sitting in the forest, listening to the animals, AND taking pictures with my cell phone, while I research the lore of the plants on my NOOK.

J

A true reconciliation of duality!!!

M

#84 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:46 AM

Must admit I'd be surprised if someone on this forum advocated abandoning technology.

Because how would they be posting?

I don't think technology is really any less appropriate in the modern day as nature. It's something you encounter on a daily basis. Witches aren't typically the sort to close their eyes and go "NANANANA I CAN'T HEAR YOU". Electronics come with the territory of living in this era, and can be manipulated and utilised in a similar fashion to many other tools. I think it takes a slightly different approach to more traditionally developed methods but they're not beyond use on the path.

#85 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

Like I've said several times before, I love technology, make my living with it, and feel quite privileged to be born in a time when I have it available. However, technology has a strong feeling in impermanence about it to me, so I'm thankful for my rural background and make sure I stay on top of the skills I learned from it.
"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#86 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:49 AM

For some reason I'm also strongest at the dark moon and have never really related to the full moon. Go figure...

M

I actually understand where you're coming from. I too feel more energy and connectedness to the Dark Moon than the Full. My Mum however gets really unsettled and jittery round the full moon. I tell her its because she has lycanthropy in the family. :)

As for out of time or out of place, I do long for a small cottage in the towering woods in the country where I can grow to my hearts content and live close to the land.....but then I do kind of have that already. I live in a cottage in a tiny town in the country and I do grow my own veg/herbs/fruits etc. The compromise? My cottage (well my parents) is on the main road through the town so we do have to suffer window rattling when trucks go past and also the fact that no one seems to understand what 'speed limit' means. Don't have the towering woods but I do have a towering oak in my yard - and I am working on the wood, I've been planting a lot of trees and whatnot.

I love modern technology, I like having tv, internet (mobile phone doesn't bother me so much cos I don't really use it). If there wasn't modern tech I couldn't do my herbalism course, couldn't teach and wouldn't have met some amazing people from around the world. However I am not a slave to technology, I don't have a lot of things people have (like kindle, ipad, iphone, xbox etc) but I do have satellite internet which is handy.

I also understand where people are coming from about cities. I only live 2.5hrs from my state's capital but I've not been there in probably 6 or 7 years (discounting the two times I had to go there to the airport) because it makes me feel very claustrophobic, I can't handle it. I also hate shopping. I go to our larger town 40 minutes away where our larger supermarkets are but only if I need something, otherwise I'm quite happy to stay at home (I do a lot of my shopping online). But I think too, that it comes down to personality and preference. Some of us like cities, the hustle and bustle feed our energy and others (like me) prefer the country, the quiet and the ease of life there.

To each their own I suppose.

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#87 Grymdycche

Grymdycche

Thaumaturge Medicocre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

lol! That's not what I meant, AM.

I mean, when the shit hits the fan, there are more areas in Canada that are large open wilderness and/or have low population densities. Should the grid fail and society be violently thrown back to near stone age conditions (and it will get violent if that happens), it just seems like a safer place to be.

Yep, we have electronics here in the Midwest, too. Lots of electronical type crap. I don't understand why for some this has to be an all or nothing proposition. Like either you want to be sitting in the middle of the deep, dark forest in a loin cloth, gnawing on the bone of a deer, you killed yourself, mixed with greens you tended from seeds with your own shit. OR you sitting on a concrete slab in a tree-less city filled with skyscrapers, talking on your cell phone through a microchip in your head, shitting out toilet paper faxes.

I do not feel that I am dishonoring my ancestors or denying my Witchiness, because I have no problem whatsoever, sitting in the forest, listening to the animals, AND taking pictures with my cell phone, while I research the lore of the plants on my NOOK.

J

I hope no one got the notion from my post that I felt craft and technology were incompatible or that technology was dishonorable in some way. As a matter of fact, I work in IT, computers and networking are currently my living. Actually, it had nothing to do with witchiness or craft at all.

My point was merely one of safety and self-reliance, and how a crippling over-dependency on technology and electricity in general could be disastrous. Every generation becomes more dependent on tech and electricity just to survive and handle day to day tasks. Take those things away, for even a couple of months, and chaos would rule. Tech is cool, while we have it, and enables us to do and enjoy many things we could not otherwise do, but it should be treated like the icing it is, not the cake itself. ;)
And the question begs itself, and yes, I've thought of taking up another career. At the very least, I'm learning some survival skills so that I can get by on the basics, if need be.

There's a pretty good show called "Preppers" on the National Geographic channel in the states, it documents survivalists and how they're planning to deal with a future crisis.

http://runeforum.phrets.com
9 out of 10 string theory physicists agree: 'Nothing Rests; Everything Moves; Everything Vibrates'' -the Kybalion.

#88 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

I hope no one got the notion from my post that I felt craft and technology were incompatible or that technology was dishonorable in some way. As a matter of fact, I work in IT, computers and networking are currently my living. Actually, it had nothing to do with witchiness or craft at all.

I know . . . just like making a point. If I can give you a hard time in the same post, it makes me double happy. :tongue0013:

#89 The Muse

The Muse

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:22 AM

I'm a complete anachronism.

There are many time periods that I identify with, beginning from ancient times randomly up to the 1940s. These time periods seem specific to certain places, none of which are Australia, where I am now.

As such, I find myself in a constant state of 'fernweh'. (German word that means the opposite of homesickness... a sort of longing for elsewhere. English needs a word for this!) :P

#90 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:45 PM

Like I've said several times before, I love technology, make my living with it, and feel quite privileged to be born in a time when I have it available. However, technology has a strong feeling in impermanence about it to me, so I'm thankful for my rural background and make sure I stay on top of the skills I learned from it.

Voting this up....

#91 An_Bruane

An_Bruane

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:47 AM

I had this feeling since I was a child; I always felt forests like my true home, the ambient of the asphalt jungle is suffocating for me. I have a deep admiration and atraction for those who lives in the deepest place of jungle (aboriginal cultures). They life expectancy is shorter than ours, but they don´t have to take care about mortgage or income taxes. They have a relationship with Nature and Ancestors that the western culture (the """""civilization"""") has lost.
And I´m surrounded by toxic people that confirms I should´t stay here. Actually if I can find job out of my hometown, would be as if I'd won the lottery :happydance:
Somebody else has read the story called "mistaken zygote", by Clarissa Pinkola-Estés?. This tale is the perfect definition of my feelings.