Photo
- - - - -

Does Anyone Else Feel "Out of Time/Place"?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
90 replies to this topic

#41 GreenFaeWitch

GreenFaeWitch

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:27 PM

Now I think this is the feeling of Witch. One foot in, one foot out. We look at everything differently. We are out of time and out of place. At least what is socially acceptable and what would be considered the 'norm'.
And even beyond that. To cross the hedge, to go under the mound, to talk to the dead at their table etc.
That doorway I was looking for was witchcraft. Or rather the doorway to the rest of our world, the one most people don't even notice.

That's great! I feel the same way! I have thought things all the time like "I want to go home, please!!", and with the craft i do feel more at home - it makes living in this period ok for me, maybe even enjoyable :) Today i was thinking about how everything fell in place, how my whole life suddenly made sense, from when i was a kid up til now. I was thinking "wow what a journey, what a struggle, to end up here and be ready for it finally". It would seem strange to others i think. my husband has no idea what i'm feeling and it's something i can't share with him at this moment.

"There's a little Witch in all of us" My Soap Shoppe

#42 Moonaluna

Moonaluna

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:34 PM

It's not so much being out of place or time but making the most of what you have or changing what we feel needs to be changed. There will always come a time where we feel we don't want to be where we are or in that time but it is what it is. I am a very positive person and feel we can only make things better for ourselves, no place or time can change that for us not matter how bad things may get. Make the most of what we got and do what we need to make it better. If we only focus on what we wish we had we will never see what we do have and if we don't like what we do have we need to focus on what changes we need to make in order to find what it is we are looking for.

I couldn't have said it better, SweetDreams. Bravo!

#43 midnightblue

midnightblue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:26 PM

Thought I would drag this up again, I frequently feel out of time which I attribute to my past lives and also due to being a witch.

I don't have any romantic notions of the past and I would never give up some of the conveniences of the 21st century, but the world as it is now just isn't right and I think as witches we can see that better than most.

#44 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:08 PM

One thing I don't care for is the lack of formality and the over-familiarity in the modern world. People who one has known (or even just met!) but are not close to will still treat one with a familiarity that is really not their business. I've had people I am really nclose to pop up with "so.. how's your love life?" Excuse me - I'm not fucking you so I really don't feel the need to let you know if I'm getting any or not. Yet short of be rude and answer "none of your business" you are rather put on the spot to say whether or not you're dating anyone at the moment. I think that kind of familiarity breeds lack of respect to a point. I have been in the break room eating lunch among mixed-company and one of the girls will blurt out how she has the most wicked cramps and isn't the first day of your period just a bitch? I find that offensive, especially in front of men whom one is not intimate with. But then again, adds for tampons are all over the TV, so familiarity has desensatized people to things that should really be private.

M

#45 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:04 PM

Exactly Michele... the erectile dysfunction ads bother me too. But I have noticed, people speak freely about what IMHO should be private. Another thing is finances, people asking me how much money I earn or talking about how much they spent on something...

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#46 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:29 AM

Exactly Michele... the erectile dysfunction ads bother me too. But I have noticed, people speak freely about what IMHO should be private. Another thing is finances, people asking me how much money I earn or talking about how much they spent on something...

I disagree slightly, only because there are some things, such as sexual abuse, child abuse, women's reproductive health, etc., that were all hush-hush in the past, but now we can talk freely about. I am a Witch, so I love secrets, but not secrets that prevent people from getting the help that they need.

#47 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:49 AM

One thing I don't care for is the lack of formality and the over-familiarity in the modern world. People who one has known (or even just met!) but are not close to will still treat one with a familiarity that is really not their business. I've had people I am really nclose to pop up with "so.. how's your love life?" Excuse me - I'm not fucking you so I really don't feel the need to let you know if I'm getting any or not. Yet short of be rude and answer "none of your business" you are rather put on the spot to say whether or not you're dating anyone at the moment. I think that kind of familiarity breeds lack of respect to a point. I have been in the break room eating lunch among mixed-company and one of the girls will blurt out how she has the most wicked cramps and isn't the first day of your period just a bitch? I find that offensive, especially in front of men whom one is not intimate with. But then again, adds for tampons are all over the TV, so familiarity has desensatized people to things that should really be private.

M

I tend to like the fact that things are more out in the open now than they used to be. The familiarity of acquaintences can be irritating, sure, but I TOTALLY disagree that things like the natural body functions of women should be kept under wraps and not spoken of in mixed company. I was raised that way and it led to a lot of repression issues and shame over my natural functions.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#48 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:18 AM

I tend to like the fact that things are more out in the open now than they used to be. The familiarity of acquaintences can be irritating, sure, but I TOTALLY disagree that things like the natural body functions of women should be kept under wraps and not spoken of in mixed company. I was raised that way and it led to a lot of repression issues and shame over my natural functions.

Yes, I agree that is not a good thing. It is not that I feel shame, it is just that I don't feel it is anyone's business, I suppose. And whereas some of the girls at work discuss it freely it is just something I do not feel a man would understand or relate to. I wouldn't want to hear about some guy's prostrate problems over lunch, lol. I also, for some reason, attach a lot of "magic" to that time - it is a time for me when I find my powers are strongest although I don't know why, lol. For some reason I'm also strongest at the dark moon and have never really related to the full moon. Go figure...

M

#49 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:30 AM

M,
Remember your comment recently that you were "A Michele"? Kind of rings in the ears right now. The point here is that we are ALL different and some are more touchy about these things than others (damn I just started typing like you again!). I grew up with every one of the kids being blunt, personal and nosey, I am like that most of the time even now, it is part of my gregariousnes (that can't be the right spelling!) and part of me. You may not like me if you meet me because I am open, friendly and nosey. I can share a chin-wag with ANYONE, new aquaintence or not, I feel comfortable like this and most people react in the same way. One caveat here though is that I do not discuss sex, bodily functions, my path or obvious sore-points carried by others unless we know each other VERY well.
Oh yes, I can relate to the original post, often!

FFFF
Elf

#50 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:47 PM

I can relate to Michelle's point. It is not advocating a repression of sexual topics so much as a bit of respect for others and their privacy. I don't intend to discuss my health, sex life or finances with people I don't know well and I would expect the reverse and respect their right to privacy as well. "How's your love life?" is a brash question, generated by a desire to gossip. As for blurting out about one's menstrual cycle in a work environment I would say there is much to be said for a dignified silence, then save the discussion for your best chum!
)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#51 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:26 PM

I went to an all girls school for six years...

Six years of listening to teenage girls discussing the adventures of their uterus as if it was a mildly interesting television programme they watched now and then.

Then the joys of studying a male oriented subject at university have led to the other end of the spectrum.

I'm not entirely sure which one is more a breach of my sensibilities :crazy:

The problem is I'm used to having to sate curiosity - I'm physically disabled and part of that package is having to deal with complete strangers asking you what you can and can't do, including the occasional 'Devotee' who tries to get a date (Which I must admit I never understood!)

I do not feel out of time, I'm in a position where I can be a witch, a cripple and a computer programmer with minimal social stigma - and be female whilst doing it! Absolutely fantastic in my book. I do, however, feel incredibly out of place. I hate having to live in a city, I hate that I have to consider living the rest of my life in an urban environment because uneven roads and gravel aren't half hell on the legs when you have to roll over every bump! I've always wanted to live within the New Forest, a place I feel so connected to and a place I can only look at with love and adoration. Somewhere secluded where I can live with my partner, children, grow plants and have animals around in a place I've loved since I was teeny tiny. :)

#52 Gramayr

Gramayr

'Mysterio'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:27 PM

M,
Remember your comment recently that you were "A Michele"? Kind of rings in the ears right now. The point here is that we are ALL different and some are more touchy about these things than others (damn I just started typing like you again!). I grew up with every one of the kids being blunt, personal and nosey, I am like that most of the time even now, it is part of my gregariousnes (that can't be the right spelling!) and part of me. You may not like me if you meet me because I am open, friendly and nosey. I can share a chin-wag with ANYONE, new aquaintence or not, I feel comfortable like this and most people react in the same way. One caveat here though is that I do not discuss sex, bodily functions, my path or obvious sore-points carried by others unless we know each other VERY well.
Oh yes, I can relate to the original post, often!

FFFF
Elf

I can relate to that also, though one thing I hate is having my personal space invaded (people getting right up close) other than that I'll strike up a conversation with anyone. One thing I hated about the London underground the last time I used it was everyone was enclosed in their own little bubble and shudder the thought of actually striking up a conversation with someone sat next to them. As others have pointed out there are subjects I won't talk about unless I know that person very well.
As for being out if time/place my partner swears blind I'm a lot older than I actually am when I talk about things from yesteryear with a fondness. Guess it's the way I've been brought up as I grew up in an old Victorian townhouse with no central heating/double glazing and ice on the insides of the windows in winter - going to bed fully clothed to warm up and draughts that would blow a chicken across the room never mind a feather.

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

#53 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:38 PM

As for being out if time/place my partner swears blind I'm a lot older than I actually am when I talk about things from yesteryear with a fondness. Guess it's the way I've been brought up as I grew up in an old Victorian townhouse with no central heating/double glazing and ice on the insides of the windows in winter - going to bed fully clothed to warm up and draughts that would blow a chicken across the room never mind a feather.

I feel you there. I'm a bit spoiled now with central air lol.

#54 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:48 PM

I went to an all girls school for six years...

Six years of listening to teenage girls discussing the adventures of their uterus as if it was a mildly interesting television programme they watched now and then.

Then the joys of studying a male oriented subject at university have led to the other end of the spectrum.

I'm not entirely sure which one is more a breach of my sensibilities :crazy:

The problem is I'm used to having to sate curiosity - I'm physically disabled and part of that package is having to deal with complete strangers asking you what you can and can't do, including the occasional 'Devotee' who tries to get a date (Which I must admit I never understood!)

I do not feel out of time, I'm in a position where I can be a witch, a cripple and a computer programmer with minimal social stigma - and be female whilst doing it! Absolutely fantastic in my book. I do, however, feel incredibly out of place. I hate having to live in a city, I hate that I have to consider living the rest of my life in an urban environment because uneven roads and gravel aren't half hell on the legs when you have to roll over every bump! I've always wanted to live within the New Forest, a place I feel so connected to and a place I can only look at with love and adoration. Somewhere secluded where I can live with my partner, children, grow plants and have animals around in a place I've loved since I was teeny tiny. :)

My son was born with spina bifida and uses a wheelchair for toodling from here to there. Folks are continually amazed by him; however, he thinks their false adoration is a bunch of horse shit. He is just doing what he has to do. That being said, he is currently looking into an "off-road" wheelchair, so that he can enjoy a bit of the outdoors. Of course, some trails would still be off limits, but he likes to be outside, hunting, fishing and the like, so he does his best to compensate. He generally approaches life, not from the what can he do perspective, but from the he can do whatever he wants (just a little differently) point of view.

#55 Freki

Freki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:53 AM

I'm so glad you said this, because I completely agree. I was raised where bodily functions were discussed openly and there was no shame attached... as such, I have a good sense about what is normal and healthy. I find that some women I know who were raised in a more repressed manner would worry over things that are perfectly normal and felt like they had no one to ask about female related issues. Girls who have nothing but the television to teach them about their body have very warped perceptions about what their bodies should be doing.

~ Listen to them, the children of the night. What sweet music they make! ~
Bram Stoker's Dracula

#56 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:44 AM

Girls who have nothing but the television to teach them about their body have very warped perceptions about what their bodies should be doing.

Good point Freki.

IMO, rude people are just rude people and they exist whether it's socially acceptable to talk about private issues or not. It's always been pretty easy for me to sidestep people who ask questions I don't want to answer, and to avoid people who talk about subjects I'd rather not hear discussed.

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#57 Abraxia Thalgus

Abraxia Thalgus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:02 AM

I don't know that I feel out of time or place, but definitely age. Ever since I was little I've wanted to be older, now I see grey hairs and I smile because I feel like my body is beginning to catch up with how old I've always felt. I like living in a city because I don't drive so getting around is a lot easier and I can find places to have a good coffee. In Mlbourne I can find all sorts of cultural experiences as well. The down side is the number of people, the noise and the chaotic energy sometimes. I'm surrounded by kids that scream all day, teenagers that use the busstop across the road and are just their annoying selves, traffic constantly driving passed and dogs crying whenever they hear an invisible siren. On the brightside, the birds do congregate around my house while waiting for the highschool kids to leave, so they can go and raid the bins.
...you need a lot of courage in this life, to make some of the choices you have to make. That's natural. I mean, you can't sit back like an amoeba and just regenerate yourself. You've got to be an exciting, dynamic human being, and there are choices you're going to make that's going to cause you some difficulty, and if it requires some courage on your part, then do it. - Charles Perkins, Arunta Elder, 1998

#58 Guest_Elfyd_*

Guest_Elfyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:36 AM

AT,
The city is not the problem, it is the collective mass of a humanity that has lost the thread of being as one with the universe. Purient and materialistic mores dominate and overshadow what it is to just BE, to meld with one's natural surroundings and take succor from nature's bounty and spirit. Your strong spirit should get you trough until the time you find the place you were supposed to be.
FFFF
Elf

#59 8people

8people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

Jevne - Proper off roaders cost about eight grand around here, it's ridiculous! It's good to hear your son has such a frank approach to life, that genuinely is admirable. I have Ehlers Danlos (Type 3) so I have to have an approach of figuring out what I can and can't do on a day to day basis (Thank goodness for understanding partners!)

Must admit I disagree with Elfyd in regards to the whole of humanity losing thread of being one with the universe. For one there are a lot of definitions on what being one with the universe means and requires, in general I agree people as a whole are a lot more materialistic yet I also do think it's a lot worse in the city - living in the city people seem to define themselves more by what they have, the latest care and console, the newest phone with the most redundant features, etc. In the country it was based more on what was practical, nice things were just that, something nice to have around, it wasn't the goal or part of what defined you in the same way as here.

We've entered a period in time where luxuries are considered a standard (Technically I'm below the UK poverty line because I don't own things like a TV, yet here I am sat on a laptop with broadband internet access chatting to people all over the globe.) Now it's no longer considered standard to have fresh vegetables that are clean of chemicals, it's considered threatening if groups of youths hang out in a park, it's considered standard that you don't even know what your neighbour looks like more often than not!

The city feels like everyone is desperate for privacy to the point they will invade others private space just to affirm their own. It just all looks like a perfect example of madness!

#60 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:56 PM

I disagree slightly, only because there are some things, such as sexual abuse, child abuse, women's reproductive health, etc., that were all hush-hush in the past, but now we can talk freely about. I am a Witch, so I love secrets, but not secrets that prevent people from getting the help that they need.

Oh, agreed.. I would never wish the progress in women's health or the awareness of abuse to be hushed.

I can relate to Michelle's point. It is not advocating a repression of sexual topics so much as a bit of respect for others and their privacy. I don't intend to discuss my health, sex life or finances with people I don't know well and I would expect the reverse and respect their right to privacy as well. "How's your love life?" is a brash question, generated by a desire to gossip. As for blurting out about one's menstrual cycle in a work environment I would say there is much to be said for a dignified silence, then save the discussion for your best chum!

Exactly.. well said. :applause:

here are a lot of definitions on what being one with the universe means and requires, in general I agree people as a whole are a lot more materialistic yet I also do think it's a lot worse in the city - living in the city people seem to define themselves more by what they have, the latest care and console, the newest phone with the most redundant features, etc. In the country it was based more on what was practical, nice things were just that, something nice to have around, it wasn't the goal or part of what defined you in the same way as here.

We've entered a period in time where luxuries are considered a standard (Technically I'm below the UK poverty line because I don't own things like a TV, yet here I am sat on a laptop with broadband internet access chatting to people all over the globe.) Now it's no longer considered standard to have fresh vegetables that are clean of chemicals, it's considered threatening if groups of youths hang out in a park, it's considered standard that you don't even know what your neighbour looks like more often than not!

The city feels like everyone is desperate for privacy to the point they will invade others private space just to affirm their own. It just all looks like a perfect example of madness!

8people,
This is an excellent point and probably deserves a thread of its own. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to access so much knowledge via the net and other modern forms. But in exchange for these "modern" conveniences there are some valuable things lost, like community.

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.