Photo
- - - - -

Does Anyone Else Feel "Out of Time/Place"?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
90 replies to this topic

#1 ValarieAnne

ValarieAnne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:03 PM

My mind is a bit boggled after reading a lot of the posts. I'm seeing many, many things here that I can relate to so very well.

My question is this: Do others of you feel totally in the wrong place and the wrong time? What I mean by that is, I guess, really out of place in modern world? I have absolutely never felt.... Im not sure how to even describe it, but maybe something like being dropped into the middle of a foreign and alien place? I live in a huge city now and I swear the place almost causes me a physical pain with its noise, smells and all of the crummy and nasty things that cities hold. Toronto is very proud of being a "green" city, but for all its trees and park spaces it still seems to have it's "soul(?)" stifled by a mass of humanity and ... well you get my drift I think!

I've often dreamed of being able to live somewhere in a simple way, away from so many people and modern things, to smell and feel the earth and its life forces etc around me, rather than the nasty hum of high tension wires, smog and the unpleasant chaos of society.

Since meeting my partner it has become easier, especially since he feels pretty much the same way. And of course we both know the realities of modern life. But still, the older I get the stronger this feeling is. And of course if it were not for some of the cursed realities of modern life, how would I be typing this now? :-)

I'd love to hear your thoughts and feelings on this!

#2 Phoenix

Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:46 PM

I often find myself feeling that I am in some sort of bondage to a society that at most times i would like to bitchslap. Not sure if that is the same feeling you have, but that is how i end up feeling a lot. We have created this structure, that really rules us now, rather than us controlling it. I must say I would like to be free of it myself, but feel that is an impossible dream. Also, I enjoy modern conveniences as well, especially the internet, ironic.

#3 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:08 PM

I don't feel that I am out of time or place, and I do believe there is a reason that I am here in the now, or I wouldn't be here, lol. WHat I do at times have trouble with is balancing out my beliefs with my mundane reality, and also the Florida landscape with the English landscape of my early years.

Being gnostic, and working with things where everything can have more than one meaning, and nothing is simply one thing, and symbols are everywhere, and most things can only be understood by not intellectualizing them... and then working in a Law Office that is completely liniar and runs on deadlines and requires intellectual analyzation can be a bit schitzofrenic, lol. But, on the other hand, I also find going in to work can be grounding at times.

M

#4 owlblink

owlblink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:53 PM

I am reading "Into the Wild" at the moment - if you havent heard of it, its a real story, about a guy in his mid-20's, pretty much an idealist, who wanted to escape the trappings of modern life. He gave his savings away to charity, abandoned his car and possessions, burnt all the money in his wallet, and hitch-hicked out to Alaska.

He spent about 2 years on the road, eating edible plants, taking a canoe down roaring streams, spending time with natives of the places he was travelling though. The Alaska trip was to be his final one, though - there simply wasnt enough to eat, it was cold, he didnt have the skills he needed to survive in the harsh landscape - and so he died.

The book was strange for me to read, because whilst I identify alot with his desire to escape from the bonds of modern life, the inevitability of it is that most of us are simply not equipt to deal with the life that our ancestors lead. As part of an initation I was involved in some years ago, I had to stay overnight in a little shelter in the New Forest. It was cold, and scary !!!

I used to know a chap in the New Forest here, who lived in a tiny little caravan, pretty much a gypsy, he wittled staffs and walking sticks to make money. He would visit the internet cafe every now and again to contact his daughter !!

For me, I think its about balance. Its pretty easy for me to stay in on a Sunday and watch TV or go on the Internet or whatever, but with a little push and a call to a friend I can be off out for a long walk over the New Forest, or off to a 'Pick Your Own' farm, or whatever!

Do not do what you desire - do what is necessary

#5 Jason

Jason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:07 PM

I actually love modern life.

I live in a very rural and beautiful area with lots of unspoiled land and old ancient sites etc. But my job actually puts me in the bright lights of the big city, and all over the world. And I love that balance.

Im glad I live in a time where the mortality rate is higher, healthcare is better, hygeine is better, quality of life is better (for a good proportion of people anyway, of coure there are the under privaliged in many areas of the world and the 3rd world countries which is appaling). I love my cars, my couture clothes, the interent, the wide array of wonderful restaurants and bars and fantastic places to visit. And I also love the fact that I can live my life without fear of being burnt at the stake or hung. lol.

I like having freedom of expression, freedom of choice, and the chance to have a fantastic career.

I love nature, commune with it daily, have a strong bond with it and all the spirits that inhabbit it and the other realms, and it is part of my being and my craft is part of every single day of my life. But I have no desire to live in a different Time. And those times werent so rosey and great anyway.

Just for me personally, I like a balance. My connection to my craft and nature, and also the fabulous trappings of modern life.

But then I have always been a little bit of a Veruca Salt. lol. In the best possible way of course

Edited by Jason, 08 September 2009 - 10:32 PM.
Clarity (hopefully) !!!

He who is illuminated with the Darkest Shadow,
will shine with the Brightest Light

#6 Grimr

Grimr

Gandreidh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:00 AM

I agree with both Jason and Owlblink, to me it is about finding balance. If I was too withdrawn It would feel as out of balance as if I was too caught up in 'modern drama.' I find that I quite enjoy many of the things Jason mentioned (especially the couture clothing part!) however I find the great need to separate myself sometimes, and I take these both in equal terms.

Another interesting thing is that if you truly enjoy aspects of "Olde World Livin" many environmental farms offer "Natural Living" classes. It's a great way to learn how to till the land, make bee skeps, even how to make livable houses out of mud, clay, and straw! I found just taking a class or two helped me feel more in tune with ancient life, not to mention made me value what I have now a bit more ;)

"Nothing is truly forgotten about the Arte, for within it's own domain - The Circle - the spirits will speak to those with ears to hear." - Andrew D. Chumbley

"And thus the Flesh of Clay was flayed, and from Earth's greenery, a New Flesh made!"

#7 Greenfeet

Greenfeet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:12 AM

I always felt like I was born at the wrong time, at least a couple hundred years too late, maybe a couple thousand. I felt out of place.

By the time I was in my 40's I had moved to a rural area that had been calling to me since childhood. I had been amassing some knowledge of the things that interest me. For the first time I felt like I was becoming the person I always wanted to be. Now at 50 I feel like I am right where I need to be, right when I need to be.

Maybe I needed those years of discomfort with the norm for me to search out, reach out and find my place, find myself.

#8 agata

agata

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:37 AM

I think ValerieAnn is talking about noise; the kind that AC talks about in "Magik". It sort of drains your concentration. I'm not interested in high magic or magik but a lot of what he said makes sense to me especially that part. Still I don't feel out of place personally, but then I moved from NYC to suburbia!

#9 Clove

Clove

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:47 AM

My mind is a bit boggled after reading a lot of the posts. I'm seeing many, many things here that I can relate to so very well.

My question is this: Do others of you feel totally in the wrong place and the wrong time? What I mean by that is, I guess, really out of place in modern world? I have absolutely never felt.... I'm not sure how to even describe it, but maybe something like being dropped into the middle of a foreign and alien place? I live in a huge city now and I swear the place almost causes me a physical pain with its noise, smells and all of the crummy and nasty things that cities hold. Toronto is very proud of being a "green" city, but for all its trees and park spaces it still seems to have it's "soul(?)" stifled by a mass of humanity and ... well you get my drift I think!

I've often dreamed of being able to live somewhere in a simple way, away from so many people and modern things, to smell and feel the earth and its life forces etc around me, rather than the nasty hum of high tension wires, smog and the unpleasant chaos of society.

Since meeting my partner it has become easier, especially since he feels pretty much the same way. And of course we both know the realities of modern life. But still, the older I get the stronger this feeling is. And of course if it were not for some of the cursed realities of modern life, how would I be typing this now? :-)

The whole noise and overwhelming senses thing, I really have that issue. The only time I do not feel like I have pressure on my head is when there are Black or Brown Outs.You know when all the Electric goes out in your area. it so peaceful and such a relief. A lot of people get upset about Blackouts I really enjoy them. The utilities company is going to have the power out on Thursday this week. I am really looking forward to it.

I know that our modern life is a good thing in many ways. I just wish I was more comfortable in it. That I did not have to take pain meds to get through the days when the pressure of the vibrations/noise from the power lines give me headaches or migraines.

I wish I could be comfortable and enjoy the sounds of singing bowls and crystel bowls that many use for medition & healing. They just hurt my ears, head, & get on my nerves. I do enjoy a good Drum circle at least for a while. :rolleyes:

Clove

#10 SweetDreams

SweetDreams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:49 AM

It's not so much being out of place or time but making the most of what you have or changing what we feel needs to be changed. There will always come a time where we feel we don't want to be where we are or in that time but it is what it is. I am a very positive person and feel we can only make things better for ourselves, no place or time can change that for us not matter how bad things may get. Make the most of what we got and do what we need to make it better. If we only focus on what we wish we had we will never see what we do have and if we don't like what we do have we need to focus on what changes we need to make in order to find what it is we are looking for.
Be positive and live life well.

#11 Dawn

Dawn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:29 AM

I generally feel all over the place and chaotic, but thats my mind as well as my situation. Im up im down, i feel like i should be in this way or that
way.

When i visit places of great history I feel a pull to that time and space, especially medievil.

But then again a bit like JAson i love the modern life, love they way we now manage to live past 35 years old. Illness doesnt always mean the death of a young one. I love music, classical guitar and piano. I love to read. I could go on and on but I also know that I am here for a reason. When I have done all I have to then ill be off on my jollies to somewhere of something else and that actually gives me comfort and i can shirk a bit of responsibility for my CRAZY actions that way. ;)

Dx

#12 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:44 PM

I don't necessarily feel "out of time" but have definitely felt out of place! Like others on here, I think the key word is "balance". Almost 6 years ago we took the opportunity to move to the country and once out of the big city (Atlanta), I felt sooo much better, both physically and mentally. I still go back into Atlanta once a week on business and hate the trip more & more as the weeks & years go on.

I've done my share of rustic camping in the past and that taught me I wouldn't want to give up my modern conveniences! We are quite prepared for power outages (happen frequently) yet if they go on for any length of time, it's irritating to not have them (like the water pump!). Indoor plumbing is wonderful.

I simply "balance" my life ... modern conveniences, yes, but get outside and away from them frequently.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#13 Maypole

Maypole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:47 AM

I have NEVER felt like I belong here except when I am in the countryside, I agree, I do like the internet where you find like minded people but big shopping centres, complexes etc are depressing, to me its destruction. I worked in shops for years and felt out of place like I wasn`t supposed to be there, I belong in the past where life was harder perhaps, but simpler and more rurally beautiful.

xx

#14 Tara

Tara

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:04 AM

My question is this: Do others of you feel totally in the wrong place and the wrong time? What I mean by that is, I guess, really out of place in modern world? I have absolutely never felt.... Im not sure how to even describe it, but maybe something like being dropped into the middle of a foreign and alien place? I live in a huge city now and I swear the place almost causes me a physical pain with its noise, smells and all of the crummy and nasty things that cities hold. Toronto is very proud of being a "green" city, but for all its trees and park spaces it still seems to have it's "soul(?)" stifled by a mass of humanity and ... well you get my drift I think!

I fell the same way as you do about the city. I don't like the noise and overcrowded streets, running and rushing everywhere and this negative energy of people and places....3 more years and I am out of here:cheerleader:

#15 Fearn

Fearn

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:17 AM

I don't feel out of place.I quite like the balancing act. I live in the town and wear a suit to work, but I have a large wooded garden to escape to in the evening and spend the weekends in Dartmoor and other wild places. Luckily I can always escape for an hour to the New Forest too.

I really appreciate my modern conveniences,but equally don't take them for granted or have them indiscriminately, for instance we don't watch TV but I'd hate to be without the internet and should we have a week long black out we'd be fine for light, heat and cooking.

I think it's about balance too.

Fearn

#16 twitch

twitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:20 PM

I have always felt out of step with the modern world .. I hate discussions about cruddy TV soaps, I have little knowledge and less empathy for celebs who are famous for being famous and bugger all else. I do not understand why everyone has got to be wearing identical tops/trainers / jeans, brand names while paying a premium to advertise said brands logos? :soapbox: There is much I don't like about modern life Less caring, more stressful.... Don’t get me wrong I am a 21st century gal who loves the convenience of a modern living better health, less unexpected death, Food from around the world in a matter of hours not months. and the fact many of us live lives that our ancestors could only dream of .But every now and then I look back and wish for a simpler time...

Edited by twitch, 10 September 2009 - 12:22 PM.
Bad spelling

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

#17 Maypole

Maypole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:42 PM

Usually when I see pics of Victorian times I really yearn to be there even though I know I will live longer now and have a better lifestyle. If I had a time machine I would go back then and probably feel at home, but then probably wish I had central heating, more food to eat (unless I was rich) etc.

I think it has to do with a past life for me, in fact I`m sure it does.

xx

#18 Clove

Clove

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:49 AM

It seems I may have been a little off subject earlier...yes, I do feel out of place in big noisy cities. I enjoy living by the ocean or in the mountain areas in smaller towns that are not as hectic. I have also felt drawn to older time periods and could be happy there. However, I do enjoy some of the same things that others have written about modern life. We live in a city now do to hubby's work, we want to move to the west coast when the kids are older,to a smaller community.
I do long for the for days of my childhood when there were not so much noise and when the mountains forest was my playground and friend, and I could find peace among the trees, leaves, and wild animals.

#19 lulu

lulu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:00 AM

I find what everyone has said very interestiing as i do feel that I was born in the wrong time period sometimes. but then when i think about it when i was i kid we didnt have tv, computers, cellphones, the fancest resturant was the fish and chip shop around the corner.
we also didnt have a modern washing machine (oh my gosh how did we cope) But my mother thought she had all the mod cons. My house now is full of furniture, clocks and radios that were made long before i was born. and i live in the country and work in the city so i suppose i have the best of both worlds. But one thing I do love to do when i travel overseas to a big city is to sit in a cafe and have breakfast while watching the city come to life, people going to work,shops opening, everything coming alive. Then rushing home again to little old new zealand and retreating to the counrty side. You can make your space and your time what every you want, fill it with all the things that make you happy then now is always the right time. Only problem I have is i am 48 and I still havent figured out what i want to be when I grow up Oh well only time will tell ( oh sorry about the waffle i blame old age)

Edited by lulu, 11 September 2009 - 09:58 PM.

#20 Luna

Luna

LunaTechChick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:47 PM

This topic reminds me of another one...similar subject here. I struggle with this a bit too. :)
http://www.tradition...&highlight=city

"I'm not saying, I'm just saying..."